Emory University Top Questions

lauren

Awesome!

The best thing about Emory is its balance between academics and social life, which seems to fit most people but it really is what you make of it. If you choose to stay in the library until 3am every day of the week, you can do that, and if you want to go out and get wasted every night from Wednesday to Sunday, I guess you could do that too. However, the average Emory student fits neither of these extremes. Most like to go out at least once every weekend, either to a frat party/club/bar or just to spend time with friends. I have yet to figure out whether students have their priorities straight. Many pick "joke" classes so they can go out more often. There are not many overachievers here, and if you choose to take 5 classes instead of the typical 4, most will think you are crazy. It is very easy to get involved in extracurricular activities, and most students are involved in a club or sport. My advice, if you plan on attending, is to surround yourself with the right people early on and definitely keep an open mind about life in general. Also, do not be afraid to make mistakes. In fact, make lots of them. Talk to everyone. Make spontaneous decisions. Plan ahead, but allow yourself to live in the edge as well. Live a balanced life. If you are having a hard time adjusting, ask yourself why. Talk to others about it that might be in the same position as you. ALWAYS leave your room door open if you are just chilling in your room. Most importantly, first impressions mean nothing. Never be too quick to judge people here. What would I change about Emory? Many things. Before ranting, however, I would like to point out that Emory is definitely working towards many improvements, especially in the academic area. First, Emory is currently allocating the majority of its money towards building new "green" residence halls for freshmen. However, not much has been done regarding upperclassmen housing. Off the top of my head, I wish that at least some of this money were invested into more creative classes and major options, better food (this issue seems to be a work in progress), build more cafeterias (there is only one cafeteria!), make the DUC (main cafeteria) more like a student center so students can actually hang out there, improve the gym with better and newer equipment, build better zipcar locations, and make the shuttle system more convenient. I also wish the business school would offer a business minor in order for students to actually have a chance to explore the liberal arts curriculum here and not be confined to the business major. It's also really annoying to see how overpriced things can be around here, given how expensive it is to attend here in the first place (even with financial aid for some people). For example, if you lose your Emory card, they charge $25 for the first time. From what I understand, most schools replace cards for free the first time. The Emory bookstore prices are also ridiculous, but that's common for every school. Doing your laundry costs money. Need passport pictures for your business school application? 12 dollars. Need to print something out in color? 1 dollar per page. I wish some of these things were subsidized instead of overpriced. It really makes me wonder what we're paying for. I would also like to see Emory develop new departments. An architecture school would be great, as well as an Industrial/ product design major. There is no engineering department here, so the only options for a prospective engineer are either (1) go through the 3-2 program with Georgia Tech (a good option, but I have mixed feelings about this program), (2) Study something similar to engineering, such as applied physics, along with liberal arts classes and complete a master’s program in engineering after graduation, or (3) opt out of Emory completely and study engineering in a 4 year engineering program. The math/ CS departments here do not appear to be very good for a top-20 school (no matlab courses? CS170 being taught by grad students? sad for a school of Emory’s reputation.) I guess if you're set on studying math, physics, or CS, the only advantages I can think of are small class sizes (personalized attention from profs) and obtainable research opportunities (but not much variety). Lastly, Emory needs more than 2 career fairs each year and needs to get the attention of more companies to recruit Emory students more heavily. We have a very pre-professional student body, so why not complement it with as many career opportunities as possible? Maybe Emory’s southern location prevents many northeast and west coast companies from heavily recruiting. On the bright side, Emory does a good job of attracting Atlanta-based companies. I believe that in order for Emory to remain competent in the next number of years, it needs to market itself much, MUCH better. However, Emory is not trying to be the next Stanford. As a result, it chooses to advertise itself as a liberal arts school with great business, medical, and health programs, d-3 sports, a beautiful campus, greek life that isn’t too overbearing, and green dorms for freshmen. If this is enough to get you super excited to come here, then this is probably the right school for you. However, for me, Emory is what it is. I think this school needs something unique to make it stand out. At first, the student body as a whole didn't seem very open minded or creative. Getting to know people better helped somewhat, but I am still a bit underwhelmed. I know for sure that 99{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of students here are very smart and capable and have something going for them. However, many people conceal their nerdy/ quirky side in an effort to be cool like everyone else, and this can get frustrating. My tip is to get to know people well before making conclusions. As far as school pride, some students are proud of attending here and others are not. In the end, your university career is what you make of it, and Emory is a solid top-20 school with room for improvement. If you seek a very academic-oriented environment, I would say look elsewhere. I recommend visiting the campus during a weekend in the middle of the semester to get a feel for how life is over here. I think this reflects my overall view of Emory. If you have any questions, feel free to e-mail me.

The best thing about Emory is its balance between academics and social life. This balance seems to fit most people, but it really is what you make of it. If you choose to stay in the library until 3am every day of the week, you can do that, and if you want to go out and get shwasted four times a week, you are also welcome to. However, the average Emory student fits neither of these extremes. Most like to go out at least once every weekend, either to a frat party/club/bar or just to spend time with friends. Also, most students have their priorities straight. It is very easy to get involved in extracurricular activities, and most students are involved in a club or sport. My advice, if you plan on attending, is to surround yourself with the right people early on and definitely keep an open mind about life in general. Also, do not be afraid to make mistakes. In fact, make lots of them. Talk to everyone. Make spontaneous decisions. Plan ahead, but allow yourself to live in the edge as well. Live a balanced life. If you are having a hard time adjusting, ask yourself why. Talk to others about it that might be in the same position as you. ALWAYS leave your room door open if you are just chilling in your room. Most importantly, first impressions mean nothing. Never be too quick to judge people here. What would I change about Emory? Many things. Before ranting, however, I would like to point out that Emory is definitely working towards many improvements, especially in the academic area. First, Emory is currently allocating the majority of its money towards building new "green" residence halls for freshmen. However, not much has been done regarding upperclassmen housing. Off the top of my head, I wish that at least some of this money were invested into more creative classes and major options, better food (this issue seems to be a work in progress), build more cafeterias (there is only one cafeteria!), make the DUC (main cafeteria) more like a student center so students can actually hang out there, improve the gym with better and newer equipment, build better zipcar locations, and make the shuttle system more convenient. I also wish the business school would offer a business minor in order for students to actually have a chance to explore the liberal arts curriculum here and not be confined to the business major. I would like to see Emory develop new departments. An architecture school would be great, as well as an Industrial/ product design major. There is no engineering department here, so the only options for a prospective engineer are either (1) go through the 3-2 program with Georgia Tech (a good option, but I have mixed feelings about this program), (2) Study something similar to engineering, such as applied physics, along with liberal arts classes and complete a master’s program in engineering after graduation, or (3) opt out of Emory completely and study engineering in a 4 year engineering program. The math/ CS departments here do not appear to be very good for a top-20 school (no matlab courses? CS170 being taught by grad students? sad for a school of Emory’s reputation.) Lastly, Emory needs more than 2 career fairs each year and needs to get the attention of more companies to recruit Emory students more heavily. We have a very pre-professional student body, so why not complement it with as many career opportunities as possible? Maybe Emory’s southern location prevents many northeast and west coast companies from heavily recruiting. On the bright side, Emory does a good job of attracting Atlanta-based companies. I believe that in order for Emory to remain competent in the next number of years, it needs to market itself much, MUCH better. However, Emory is not trying to be the next Stanford. As a result, it chooses to advertise itself as a liberal arts school with great business, medical, and health programs, d-3 sports, a beautiful campus, greek life that isn’t too overbearing, and green dorms for freshmen. If this is enough to get you super excited to come here, then this is probably the right school for you. However, for me, Emory is what it is. I think this school needs something unique to make it stand out. At first, the student body as a whole didn't seem very open minded or creative. Getting to know people better helped somewhat, but I am still a bit underwhelmed. I know for sure that 99{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of students here are very smart and capable and have something going for them. However, many people conceal their nerdy/ quirky side in an effort to be cool like everyone else, and this can get frustrating. My tip is to get to know people well before making conclusions. As far as school pride, some students are proud of attending here and others are not. In the end, your university career is what you make of it, and Emory is a solid top-20 school with room for improvement. I think this reflects my overall view of Emory. If you have any questions, feel free to e-mail me.

The best thing about Emory is its balance between academics and social life. This balance seems to fit most people, but it really is what you make of it. If you choose to stay in the library until 3am every day of the week, you can do that, and if you want to go out and get shwasted four times a week, you are also welcome to. However, the average Emory student fits neither of these extremes. Most like to go out at least once every weekend, either to a frat party/club/bar or just to spend time with friends. Also, most students have their priorities straight. It is very easy to get involved in extracurricular activities, and most students are involved in a club or sport. My advice, if you plan on attending, is to surround yourself with the right people early on and definitely keep an open mind about life in general. Also, do not be afraid to make mistakes. In fact, make lots of them. Talk to everyone. Make spontaneous decisions. Plan ahead, but allow yourself to live in the edge as well. Live a balanced life. If you are having a hard time adjusting, ask yourself why. Talk to others about it that might be in the same position as you. ALWAYS leave your room door open if you are just chilling in your room. Most importantly, first impressions mean nothing. Never be too quick to judge people here. What would I change about Emory? Many things. Before ranting, however, I would like to point out that Emory is definitely working towards many improvements, especially in the academic area. First, Emory is currently allocating the majority of its money towards building new "green" residence halls for freshmen. However, not much has been done regarding upperclassmen housing. Off the top of my head, I wish that at least some of this money were invested into more creative classes and major options, better food (this issue seems to be a work in progress), build more cafeterias (there is only one cafeteria!), make the DUC (main cafeteria) more like a student center so students can actually hang out there, improve the gym with better and newer equipment, build better zipcar locations, and make the shuttle system more convenient. I also wish the business school would offer a business minor in order for students to actually have a chance to explore the liberal arts curriculum here and not be confined to the business major. I would like to see Emory develop new departments. An architecture school would be great, as well as an Industrial/ product design major. There is no engineering department here, so the only options for a prospective engineer are either (1) go through the 3-2 program with Georgia Tech (a good option, but I have mixed feelings about this program), (2) Study something similar to engineering, such as applied physics, along with liberal arts classes and complete a master’s program in engineering after graduation, or (3) opt out of Emory completely and study engineering in a 4 year engineering program. The math/ CS departments here do not appear to be very good for a top-20 school (no matlab courses? CS170 being taught by grad students? sad for a school of Emory’s reputation.) Lastly, Emory needs more than 2 career fairs each year and needs to get the attention of more companies to recruit Emory students more heavily. We have a very pre-professional student body, so why not complement it with as many career opportunities as possible? Maybe Emory’s southern location prevents many northeast and west coast companies from heavily recruiting. On the bright side, Emory does a good job of attracting Atlanta-based companies. I believe that in order for Emory to remain competent in the next number of years, it needs to market itself much, MUCH better. However, Emory is not trying to be the next Stanford. As a result, it chooses to advertise itself as a liberal arts school with great business, medical, and health programs, d-3 sports, a beautiful campus, greek life that isn’t too overbearing, and green dorms for freshmen. If this is enough to get you super excited to come here, then this is probably the right school for you. However, for me, Emory is what it is. I think this school needs something unique to make it stand out. The student body as a whole, in my opinion, is generally not very open minded or creative. As far as school pride, some students are proud of attending here and others are not. In the end, your university career is what you make of it, and Emory is a solid top-20 school with room for improvement. I think this reflects my overall view of Emory. If you have any questions, feel free to e-mail me.

The best thing about Emory is its balance between academics and social life. This balance seems to fit most people, but it really is what you make of it. If you choose to stay in the library until 3am every day of the week, you can do that, and if you want to go out and get shwasted four times a week, you are also welcome to. However, the average Emory student fits neither of these extremes. Most like to go out at least once every weekend, either to a frat party/club/bar or just to spend time with friends. Also, most students have their priorities straight. It is very easy to get involved in extracurricular activities, and most students are involved in a club or sport. My advice, if you plan on attending, is to surround yourself with the right people early on and definitely keep an open mind about life in general. Also, do not be afraid to make mistakes. In fact, make lots of them. Talk to everyone. Make spontaneous decisions. Plan ahead, but allow yourself to live in the edge as well. Live a balanced life. If you are having a hard time adjusting, ask yourself why. Talk to others about it that might be in the same position as you. ALWAYS leave your room door open if you are just chilling in your room. Most importantly, first impressions mean nothing. Never be too quick to judge people here. What would I change about Emory? Many things. Before ranting, however, I would like to point out that Emory is definitely working towards many improvements, especially in the academic area. First, Emory is currently allocating the majority of its money towards building new "green" residence halls for freshmen. However, not much has been done regarding upperclassmen housing. Off the top of my head, I wish that at least some of this money were invested into more creative classes and major options, better food (this issue seems to be a work in progress), build more cafeterias (there is only one cafeteria!), make the DUC (main cafeteria) more like a student center so students can actually hang out there, improve the gym with better and newer equipment, build better zipcar locations, and make the shuttle system more convenient. I also wish the business school would offer a business minor in order for students to actually have a chance to explore the liberal arts curriculum here and not be confined to the business major. I would like to see Emory develop new departments. An architecture school would be great, as well as an Industrial/ product design major. There is no engineering department here, so the only options for a prospective engineer are either (1) go through the 3-2 program with Georgia Tech (a good option, but I have mixed feelings about this program), (2) Study something similar to engineering, such as applied physics, along with liberal arts classes and complete a master’s program in engineering after graduation, or (3) opt out of Emory completely and study engineering in a 4 year engineering program. The math/ CS departments here do not appear to be very good for a top-20 school (no matlab courses? CS170 being taught by grad students? sad for a school of Emory’s reputation.) Lastly, Emory needs more than 2 career fairs each year and needs to get the attention of more companies to recruit Emory students more heavily. We have a very pre-professional student body, so why not complement it with as many career opportunities as possible? Maybe Emory’s southern location prevents many northeast and west coast companies from heavily recruiting. On the bright side, Emory does a good job of attracting Atlanta-based companies. I believe that in order for Emory to remain competent in the next number of years, it needs to market itself much, MUCH better. However, Emory is not trying to be the next Stanford. As a result, it chooses to advertise itself as a liberal arts school with great business, medical, and health programs, d-3 sports, a beautiful campus, greek life that isn’t too overbearing, and green dorms for freshmen. If this is enough to get you super excited to come here, then this is probably the right school for you. However, for me, Emory is what it is. I think this school needs something unique to make it stand out. The student body as a whole, in my opinion, is generally not very open minded or creative. As far as school pride, some students are proud of attending here and others are not. In the end, however, your university career is what you make of it, and Emory is a solid top-20 school with room for improvement. I think this reflects my overall view of Emory. If you have any questions, feel free to e-mail me.

The best thing about Emory is its balance between academics and social life. This balance seems to fit most people, but it really is what you make of it. If you choose to stay in the library until 3am every day of the week, you can do that, and if you want to go out and get shwasted four times a week, you are also welcome to. However, the average Emory student fits neither of these extremes. Most like to go out at least once every weekend, either to a frat party/club/bar or just to spend time with friends. Also, most students have their priorities straight. It is very easy to get involved in extracurricular activities, and few students seem to realize this. My advice, if you plan on attending, is to surround yourself with the right people early on and definitely keep an open mind about life in general. Also, do not be afraid to make mistakes. In fact, make lots of them. Talk to everyone. Make spontaneous decisions. Plan ahead, but allow yourself to live in the edge as well. Live a balanced life. If you are having a hard time adjusting, ask yourself why. Talk to others about it that might be in the same position as you. ALWAYS leave your room door open if you are just chilling in your room. Most importantly, first impressions mean nothing. Never be too quick to judge people here. What would I change about Emory? Many things. Before ranting, however, I would like to point out that Emory is definitely working towards many improvements, especially in the academic area. First, Emory is currently allocating the majority of its money towards building new "green" residence halls for freshmen. However, not much has been done regarding upperclassmen housing. Off the top of my head, I wish that at least some of this money were invested into more creative classes and major options, better food (this issue seems to be a work in progress), build more cafeterias (there is only one cafeteria!), make the DUC (main cafeteria) more like a student center so students can actually hang out there, improve the gym with better and newer equipment, build better zipcar locations, and make the shuttle system more convenient. I also wish the business school would offer a business minor in order for students to actually have a chance to explore the liberal arts curriculum here and not be confined to the business major. I would like to see Emory develop new departments. An architecture school would be great, as well as an Industrial/ product design major. There is no engineering department here, so the only options for a prospective engineer are either (1) go through the 3-2 program with Georgia Tech (a good option, but I have mixed feelings about this program), (2) Study something similar to engineering, such as applied physics, along with liberal arts classes and complete a master’s program in engineering after graduation, or (3) opt out of Emory completely and study engineering in a 4 year engineering program. The math/ CS departments here do not appear to be very good for a top-20 school (no matlab courses? CS170 being taught by grad students? sad for a school of Emory’s reputation.) Lastly, Emory needs more than 2 career fairs each year and needs to get the attention of more companies to recruit Emory students more heavily. We have a very pre-professional student body, so why not complement it with as many career opportunities as possible? Maybe Emory’s southern location prevents many northeast and west coast companies from heavily recruiting. On the bright side, Emory does a good job of attracting Atlanta-based companies. I believe that in order for Emory to remain competent in the next number of years, it needs to market itself much, MUCH better. However, Emory is not trying to be the next Stanford. As a result, it chooses to advertise itself as a liberal arts school with great business, medical, and health programs, d-3 sports, a beautiful campus, greek life that isn’t too overbearing, and green dorms for freshmen. If this is enough to get you super excited to come here, then this is probably the right school for you. However, for me, Emory is what it is. I think this school needs something unique to make it stand out. The student body as a whole, in my opinion, is generally not very open minded or creative. As far as school pride, some students are proud of attending here and others are not. In the end, however, your university career is what you make of it, and Emory is a solid top-20 school with room for improvement. I think this reflects my overall view of Emory. If you have any questions, feel free to e-mail me.

I absolutely LOVE Emory. The best thing about this school is the COMMUNITY. There are so many diverse students on campus, and I am proud to say that I am constantly meeting people on a day to day basis. Emory is big enough where you can meet new people, yet still recognize and know people walking to class everyday and/or in your classes or at a party. Every student at Emory is involved with a group whether it'd be community service (which is quite a big deal here), Greek life, religious life, cultural, interest, etc. There are events on and off campus hosted by Emory students, and I think the fact that Emory students are SO passionate about their clubs and extracurriculars shows how fun the Emory student body is in terms of making their college experience a balanced and fun one. I think the only thing I could complain about Emory is the lack of housing organization. The housing office at Emory is not organized and if you are an upperclassman looking for housing through the school, well, good luck. there is a lot of community at Emory but a lot of the upperclassmen live off campus or at Clairmont so it is a bit harder to hang out with your older friends if you have them and don't have a car. Luckily, I have a lot of upperclassmen friends as a transfer and I spend most of my time on campus, but occasionally off (which is nice sometimes). Atlanta is GREAT. There are tons of things to do and tons of people to do them with at Emory. I love it when people ask me where I go to school because I love Emory and I think more people should apply to it and realize how great a school it is! Because there is no football team, it is hard to have Emory pride, but I think that's even better, because all the Emory students unite over others things besides sports! We unite and have pride for our school community and the uniting thread is that majority of us love Emory and are intellectually driven to succeed here regardless of a football team. I would personally say the only thing unusual about this school is the Dooley mascot, the unofficial skeleton mascot with his troupe. It just seems a bit cultish and creepy to me, but that is just a personal opinion. I LOVE Wonderful Wednesdays here, where all the clubs at Emory come together to promote their club activities and reach out to the student body. It is such a great way to unite the community, blasting loud music on the sunny lawn and just bonding with peers and friends in the middle of the week! Emory is the best place for students who are looking for a great college experience that strives to promote the healthy balanced college life.

I absolutely LOVE Emory. The best thing about this school is the COMMUNITY. There are so many diverse students on campus, and I am proud to say that I am constantly meeting people on a day to day basis. Emory is big enough where you can meet new people, yet still recognize and know people walking to class everyday and/or in your classes or at a party. Every student at Emory is involved with a group whether it'd be community service (which is quite a big deal here), Greek life, religious life, cultural, interest, etc. There are events on and off campus hosted by Emory students, and I think the fact that Emory students are SO passionate about their clubs and extracurriculars shows how fun the Emory student body is in terms of making their college experience a balanced and fun one. I think the only thing I could complain about Emory is the lack of housing organization. The housing office at Emory is not organized and if you are an upperclassman looking for housing through the school, well, good luck. there is a lot of community at Emory but a lot of the upperclassmen live off campus or at Clairmont so it is a bit harder to hang out with your older friends if you have them and don't have a car. Luckily, I have a lot of upperclassmen friends as a transfer and I spend most of my time on campus, but occasionally off (which is nice sometimes). Atlanta is GREAT. There are tons of things to do and tons of people to do them with at Emory. I love it when people ask me where I go to school because I love Emory and I think more people should apply to it and realize how great a school it is! The biggest recent controversy on campus is the SAT cheating scandal where an Emory student was charged for taking the SATs for other students, but I am indifferent about this. There isn't a lot of Emory drama on campus because everyone here is pretty chill based on my observations so far. Because there is no football team, it is hard to have Emory pride, but I think that's even better, because all the Emory students unite over others things besides sports! We unite and have pride for our school community and the uniting thread is that majority of us love Emory and are intellectually driven to succeed here regardless of a football team. I would personally say the only thing unusual about this school is the Dooley mascot, the unofficial skeleton mascot with his troupe. It just seems a bit cultish and creepy to me, but that is just a personal opinion. I LOVE Wonderful Wednesdays here, where all the clubs at Emory come together to promote their club activities and reach out to the student body. It is such a great way to unite the community, blasting loud music on the sunny lawn and just bonding with peers and friends in the middle of the week! Emory is the best place for students who are looking for a great college experience that strives to promote the healthy balanced college life.

I won't speak for Everyone but I know that I love Emory. It might seem to be on the small size but I didn't want to go to a huge school where I would've felt like just a number. Also, I love that Emory is in a real city (Atlanta) and not a "college town." There's always tons to do. Finally, we are one the most culturally diverse schools in the country!

Emory is a small, private school with about 7500 undergrads, which makes it easy for students to get to know at least half if not more of their own class. When I tell people I go to Emory, half of them say they have never heard of it, and the other half is usually impressed and comments on how smart I must be to go to a school like Emory. Emory is unique in that it has its own version of school spirit. Many people accuse Emory of lacking in school spirit because we're not a sports school, and they're right. We compete in the NCAA division III level and there is no amazing team we can rally around. Most students are apathetic to sporting events on campus unless they have specific ties or their friends are on a sports team. Emory's school spirit mostly comes from the smaller group of students who are involved on campus and participate in many extracurricular activities. Aside from our official mascot, the Emory Eagle, we also have an unofficial and unusual mascot named Lord James W. Dooley, a mischievous skeleton who roams around campus throughout the school year. The traditional is unique to Emory and is the source of much of Emory's school spirit. Dooley dates back to the early 1900s when he first appeared in a school publication. Since then, he's come to life on campus each year through an anonymous student who dresses up as him. He also has a spirit week dedicated to him in the spring semester called Dooley's Week, where he lets out students from their classes if they write a clever limerick to him. Emory has had quite a lot of big name artists perform on campus, including Wiz Khalifa, B.O.B., Girl Talk, Third Eye Blind, T.I., One Republic and Big Boi since I've been at Emory. We've also had comedians, like Daniel Tosh, Tracy Morgan and Kevin Nealon, come to campus, all through the planning of the Student Programming Council. Third Eye Blind is my favorite band of all time, so getting to see them live and front row for FREE at Emory was probably the best experience I've had up to date at this school. Emory delivers in terms of offering the most and best out of your student activity fee. The most populated spots on campus are the Dobbs University Center, or the DUC, where the main dining hall is located and where most student organizations meet; Cox Hall, the main food court, ballroom space and computer lab; and the library, which is more of a social scene than a study space save for those designated quiet area. I spend most of my time in the DUC or Cox. As an involved student, I'm at the DUC at least once a day, and for lunch or a place to study in between classes, I go to Cox. The most recent and biggest controversy on campus in my three and a half years occurred last spring when seven students, who call themselves the Emory 7, were arrested after occupying the quad in front of the administration building for several days to protest Emory support of our food company, Sodexo, whom they claim have human rights abuses. There was local coverage and widespread gossip about the event to which the Emory's president, James Wagner, responded saying that those seven students were misinformed. Most other students heard or read about the matter and either didn't care or thought that these students were protesting for the sake of protesting or influenced by the same kind of protests on different college campuses. In the end, the commotion died down and the administration handled it well. Regarding administration, that's one area I feel where Emory gets to strict on its students, especially in the area of student enjoyment. Emory administrators seem to be tough on Greek life and on campus programming, but many student leaders have forged relationships with administrators to reach compromise between both viewpoints.

I love Emory. I transferred to Emory from The University of Vermont... a huge change. I really enjoyed UVM, but was looking for a place that better fit my academic interests and challenged me more. The best thing about Emory are the professors. You really get to work with incredibly-respected and accomplished individuals who care about you and are willing to go the extra mile to help you get a job, internship, etc. I think Emory's size is good - about 5,000 undergrads. The only thing I'd change about the size is that I'd decrease the amount of grad students on campus. Sometimes it's hard to know what year/status a student is. Whenever I tell people I go to this school, they are impressed. To be honest, it's a good feeling to brag that you go to Emory. It's very well-respected. You won't be disappointed with all of the resources available, like the Career Center. One of the best parts of Emory is its location. It's outside of Atlanta. If you're a city person, you'll like Emory, but there are also plenty of green spaces around. You really are in a suburb of Atlanta, so if you're expecting an NYC atmosphere, if definitely isn't like that. The negative to Emory's location is not having a car. If you don't have a car, you can hitch a ride with others, but many Emory students explore around Atlanta and surrounding areas a lot.

Though my school is highly diverse, this diversification is segregated. Majority of the people hang out with mostly people of their own ethnicity. Also, the pressure to have good grades can sometimes be overwhelming and we aren't really a sports school so there's not the same kind of school spirit for games.

Emory's best feature is the people. The student body ranges from students only concerned with what grade they receive to those who legitimately enjoy their classes, from bookworms who are always studying to people who party way too often. Despite their differences though, most people are friendly and accepting, and it's easy to make friends. The size helps make the campus close knit - even on the short walk to classes you're guaranteed to run into at least one person you know - but at the same time, is big enough to constantly be meeting new people. Atlanta is interesting as far as cities go. It has the typical attractions of big cities, from clubs and nightlife to museums and theaters, but the city is very widely spread out. It can take up to an hour to get from one area of the city to another (such as from Emory campus to the airport), and as a result, cab fare or gas money can add up for those who like to spend a lot of time off campus. Emory students have their typical hangouts near campus, and with Cliff shuttles (free transportation offered by the university) and the MARTA system (public transportation), most attractions are accessible. The campus itself is quite active, with things to do on any given night of the week. School pride is often considered non-existent at Emory, but that's only based on one definition of school pride: sports-centered. As a Division III school without a football team, most people ignore athletics. However, school events are widely attended and customs are well-loved, and most students will be willing to gush about the parts of the school they like the most. Food and housing are the most common complaints at Emory. The food is decent, and definitely edible, but gets very repetitive very quickly, and most second semester students try to find ways to avoid the main cafeterias. Housing for freshman, as of the 2010-2011 school year, will have the majority of the class living in one of the four brand new dorms, which are excellent. However, some of the older dorms remain in use for now, and upperclassmen don't have the same benefits. Juniors and seniors have the opportunity to live on Clairmont Campus, which is apartment style living with an outdoor pool, gyms, tennis courts, etc., and is considered very nice. However, Clairmont is about 15 minutes away from main campus by shuttle, and there is little housing offered on main campus past Freshman year. Sophomores have a few opportunities to live on campus, but most students have an extra 5-10 minutes added on to their walk to classes and are separated from the school by a main road.

Big Picture: Emory is great. I really, really love it here. I think coming here was the best decision I ever made. The best thing: The people I've met are really going to change the world, and inspire me. The size is also great; about 5500 undergrads but we're on a fairly small central campus area so it feels smaller. Emory's administration: The administration is great and approachable. James Wagner, our President, actually has student office hours every week so students can go and voice concerns and/or comments. On campus, where do you spend most of your time? I'm likely to be found on the quad, in the debate office, in the library (but more likely socializing than working) or in Emory Village. What's unusual? Our unofficial mascot, Dooley, is a skeleton. We have a week every spring to honor him, which culminates in Dooley's Ball (think Halloween). I think the biggest recent controversy was a big statue that went up of Dooley that cost $80,000. There was a lot of debate over whether the money should have been spent elsewhere.

Oxford College of Emory is wonderful. The town is small and there's not much to do after 10pm, but you'll never find a better atmosphere. The classes are small (no impersonal auditoriums with hundreds of other students) and the other students are friendly and interesting.

Steve

Emory is a great size (approx. 5000 undergrads). You can walk around campus and not know everyone, but still within a few minutes you are bound to say hi to someone to whom you are friendly. The class sizes are really nice. As a chemistry major, I have experienced the large lectures, but the teachers make them seem intimate. Office hours are a great way to meet your professor and develop a relationship. Emory has some issues with school spirit, namely that it doesn't have any. But several groups on campus have focused particularly on this problem in order to make Emory more alive. Housing is kind of a crap shoot. There are really AMAZING dorms, but there are also really old, out-dated dorms. However, Emory is in the process of building a whole new freshmen quad (to be completed in Fall 2008), so that all Freshmen can live in a central location. They will be tearing down most of the old buildings in the next few years as these new buildings are completed. Emory is close enough to the Atlanta to get there on the weekends, but far enough away that you feel safe walking through the campus at night. There are rarely incidents that make students feel uncomfortable on campus. Emory has a big reputation down south for being a great school, but it also tends to have the reputation of being "country club"-esque. We have top notch tennis and swimming teams, our landscaping is perfectly manicured, and many of our students fall into the "prep" category.

Melony

The school is just the right size, its big enough for the students to engage in hundreds of activities with many, many different professors and faculty, but at the same time it is small enough for the students to know most people in their classes and make friends with many people on campus. Atlanta is not necessarily a college town, but the area around the Emory campus really caters to college students. There are many restaurants in the area that serve a variety of cuisines that Emory students enjoy. Most of these are very inexpensive, and this helps students stay on a college budget. We are also very close to Lenox Mall, Little Five Points, Georgia Tech, and the airport, which are all very big places in the Atlanta area. This helps students get to experience life off campus as well.

Logan

Size is just right. A place where a person can get a liberal arts eduction, though not as emphasized: lots here for pre-med, pre-business, professions-orientated, etc. There are unfortunately required "graduation education requirements" which detract from the liberal arts education, because while it is a type of core...it is highly imbalanced and impedes a person from truly learning for the sake of learning (University of Chicago has a much better traditional core as opposed to Emory's more modern politcally correct one). You can only double major, but I have joined two majors together and have another independent major, so technically, you can triple. If you wish to skip grad. req., come to Emory with a lot of AP credit courses. You are restricted your first semester to 4 main course (+ 3-4 minor 1/2-credit classes), though after the first semester, you can take 5 main courses. Changes...the destruction of a poor core cirriculum. If you don't have a lot of APs, prepare to be jaded with forced courses that are more geared towards modern fluff as opposed to the true liberal arts (history, music, latin, greek, physics etc.). Instead a person must delve into fields that, while interesting, detract from the traditional liberal arts (seminars on economics, political science, public health, etc.) which take away from your ability to take other courses. Instead of learning for the sake of learning, these compelled seemed to be required for the sake of adapting to a more globalized...though while important, is not the purpose of a liberal arts education. People are friendly at Emory and it is very easy to find social outlets and make friends. People hang out everywhere from downtown (only 8-10 minutes away) to a nice communal area on campus. Opinions about administration are mixed...some are very helpful, others are not. Though if you have attended public school it is drastically better (you are forking over $50k/year anyways...). The biggest flaw about administration is that even though they are large, they are still very busy and sometimes seem fatigued. There's school spirit, but not sure how great it is. Complaints are failure to get required or popular classes, poor housing assignments, wireless internet outages, continual increase in tuition yet scholarship amount remains the same, politics involved in the required course (ie...a sociology teacher will support so-and-so's course if that other person supports his/hers), and cafeteria food is decent but not the best.

I like the small size of the school. I don't think Emory is for the student that just wants to blend in. By the end of freshman year, you can go outside and see at least 10 people that you know fairly well or have had class with.

Stacy

Absolutely fantastic. I love my classes, my professors, my fellow students, everything. It is a beautiful campus in a little suburb right outside of a major city, so there is lots to do without feeling overwhelmed. Emory has incredible resources that, I think, are under-utilized. Everyone is very helpful and kind. I feel at home here.

I <3 Emory. The size is great- enough to meet new people every week, yet recognize a good amount of faces on campus. I hate when I say I go to Emory and people I assume I'm really rich and wanted to be a doctor. Emory is sooo much more than a medical school! I spend a lot of time hanging out in the dorms, the dining hall and the quad with my friends. Atlanta is just close enough that theres plenty of things to do, but far enough that you feel safe. Recently at the Oxford campus students snuck a zebra into a school building to raise school spirit. It was all over the news! In the spring we have "Dooley's Ball" which is a costume ball outside that the whole school goes to and it's super fun and spirited!

The best part of Emory is probably the mix of social and academics because it is a very good school with challenging classes but kids still go out and have fun. It'd be better if kids got around the sports team more and created some more school spirit. Emory is a very good size. When I tell people I go to Emory half of them say wow that is such a good school and the other half don't know what Emory is, usually less educated people. I spent most of my time in my dorm, the DUC, frat house, and the WoodPec. Emory is in more of a nice neighborhood that is very close to downtown Atlanta. Emory administration is okay I've found out throughout this year that they will tell you what to do but then getting in touch with someone for more information and/or help is impossible.

dylan

when i first came, i really did not know about this school. i applied only becasue my guidance counselor suggested me to. i wasn't too excited to come as wasn't my first choice at all. however, my first semester at emory was such a blast. i met a lot of cool kids and professors. i started liking the school. i liked how it's located in near atlanta where people just go and chill when they get bored and how it's not right in the city where people can just relax if they are willing to unlike NYU. weather's relatively nicer than new england region yet i wouldn't say its the best. it's just so mad random. only drawback of the school is that emory doesnt' have a football team. how lame. and food sucks. seriously, emory needs to do something with food. its worse than my highschool.

Lizz

The best thing about Emory are all the great activities going on all the time. There are also great resources academically, career-wise, socially, etc. that I am glad are available to students, faculty, staff, and others involved with Emory.

The best thing about Emory is the balance the school offers between sports ,academics, and social life. I would change the size of the minority community. My school's size is just right. When I tell people I go to Emory they either say oh you're really smart, or where is that? I spend most of my time on campus either in the gym, dining room, or dorm. What college town?. For the most part the administration does an average job. The biggest recent controversy on campus to my knowledge is a person living on campus that is not enrolled in the school. No there is not a lot of school pride. We don't have a fottball team. The one experience i'll always remember is beating Rochester, the #1 team in the country in basketball. The most frequent complaints are it is too hard to get into the city and there is no school spirit.

Gene

social life athletics needs more diversity

The best thing about Emory is the sense of community you feel when you walk through campus. If I could change one thing it would be to give us a D1 basketball team. The school is just the right size. When I tell people I go to Emory they usually are impresseed. I spend most of my time on campus in class, at the gym and on the soccer field. It is not a college town, it is the city of atlanta. Emory's administration is great. The biggest controversy on campus recently has been Akon's stage collapsing. There is some school pride, but there would be more if we had a football team. I will always remember when I got to shake President Carter's hand and pose for pictures with him freshman year. The most frequent student complaints are that we don't have a lot of school spirit when it comes to Varsity sports.

Mel

best thing is the volleyball team i would change the population- more diverse would be nice i liek the size of the student population they are impressed gym, einsteins in the duc "what college town" admin is ok. some are great, some are not very nice. the food on campus is TERRIBLE and WAY TOO EXPENSIVE it would be great if they stopped trying to rob students of their money. not all of us are so loaded that we can spend that kind of money everyday

The best thing about Emory is that it is a good mix. There is a niche for everyone. Varsity athletics, greek life, student organizations, and lots of study groups provide a nice community for everyone. The size is just right and there is a big community around Atlanta so there is a life outside of Emory. When I tell people I go to Emory, they all either think "Emory, where's that again?" or "Wow, that's a really great school." I think Emory is on the rise and is only going to get better. The only thing I wish Emory had was more school spirit. But we are working on that with the ETeam and advertising games and stuff like that.

Ami/Amy

The best thing about Emory is the plethora of activities and opportunities available for people to do; the problem is that most people don't take advantage of most of them. If I had to change something, I would do something to push people out of their comfort zones and get to know people they normally would not/do not talk to because I think that hearing different perspectives on anything really helps a person grow. I feel that Emory is just right. It is the perfect combination because I always have a class where I know at least two people, and there are always people who I do not know. When I tell people to go to Emory, they say, "Where's that?" I hate that Emory has everything (undergrad, med school, public health school, law school, and B school) that's ranked in the top 25, yet no one knows about Emory! It really bothers me that when I go home, people think highly of the Vanderbilt students when I know Emory is ranked higher but no one knows that, and I'm not the type to boast about it. Most of my time on campus would be in my dorm or at the Woodpec. What college town? Nothing is close by and everything is way too overpriced because everyone thinks Emory is full of rich people. Emory's administration is actually pretty well run and also very understanding and helpful in all types of situations. I have had plenty of instances in which I have had to talk to a lot of different people to get something straightened out. They've always been very helpful and understanding in all my situations. Last I can remember is David Horowitz coming to speak... I think it's split in the middle. Half are very Emory Pride while the other half are just disheartened because no one else knows about Emory, and we aren't really known for any sports (other than D3 Tennis). The squirrels are crazy and not afraid of people and do the goofiest things. Positive- Wonderful Wednesdays; Negative- being sexually assaulted People not mixing with each other.

Emory has no school pride or college town. both are bad. it has a good size. a lot of people in the north dont know about anybody. but anybody you would need to impress understands its reputation.

People at Emory are all very happy to be here. For one of the top ranked schools in the nation, we party very hard. The Greek life on campus is great, especially for a small, intellectual school. We know how to play hard, and study hard too when we need to.

Meredith

I love emory, i think the social scene is mostly a frat and bar scene so an id is definitely necessary. The academics are challening, but in a good way, you see the frat boys at the frats on tuesday thursday and the weekends, but when exam time roles around you see them in the library.

Emory's environment is key, the southern experience and proximity to atlanta are most excellent. I would change the admission's department policies in the attempt to improve diversity of the student body. Emory is a good size, but it would be better if bigger to improve diversity hopefully. I spend most of my time on campus on the lacrosse field and at fraternity houses. There is a severe lack of any college town. Emory's administration needs to use its overflowing resources including money to improve life on the campus and should not be so strict against fraternity life that is so integral to the emory experience. The biggest recent controversy on campus was the hospitalization of intoxicated students a year ago. School pride is dismal and parallels school/athletic spirit. Emory is unusual in that its southern setting is contrasted with a student body largely from the north. Mardi gras is an experience i will always remember. Most frequent freshman complaints would be about the food at our ONE and only cafeteria that are not satisfactory and do not compare to other schools that have to feed more people with more cafeteria's.

I love the size of emory. i feel that for me it is the perfect environment. Students here work hard and play hard. We know when it is time to study and how to reward our studying with great social activities. I spend most of my time on campus outside, enjoying the atlanta weather with my friends. I think that although a lot of emory students have pride for our school, school spirit at athletic events must be enhanced. I think that the campus community on emory is very unusual. I think that there is a strong connection and great campus community that is hard to find at other universities. Frequent complaints that I hear from freshman is that the food is not great. There should be more meal options for freshman and upperclass students. The DUC is repetitive and unappetizing.

Antonio

Emory has a great diverse community, and has a large on campus community as well compared to many schools that do not. Emory is only 10 or so minutes from Downtown Atlanta, so you have the ability to explore the campus life and explore the amazing city of Atlanta. The school should be larger, and is increasing in size every year. A lot of people don't know about Emory in the south, but those involved in academia know that school is one of the best in the country. I spend my time both on campus and in the city. I love both. The school pride is definitely increasing as Emory's sports team continue to improve every year. The men's basketball team beat the No. 1 team in the country in division 3 this year. Emory is a great university and a great place to experience diversity, and grow as an individual.

Emory has everything to offer from amazing academics to facilities for everything. very environmentally conscious. we dont have too much school spirit though without any large D1 sports teams to support. the size of the student body would be just right so that you can always see new and familiar faces everywhere you go however perhaps if it was a bit larger there would be a few more good looking girls to choose from. Emory village is pretty lame so first semester freshman dont have many options other than the cafeteria, however with access to a car there are TONS of great places to go and eat and see within 2 to 10 minutes of campus. class selection process sucks for freshmen. almost impossible to get more than half the classes you are going for. Greek life is a very central part of the social life on campus and you find that most of the social students go greek no matter how against frats and sororities they came into the school thinking.

maverick

Great education and location. not so much school spirit

the best thing about emory is the student life I would change the attitude toward partying maybe the school is good size people are impressed that I go to Emory i spend most of my time in the library probably college town, suprisingly I don't know much about emory's administration, but I want to get to know them better. racial controversies are the largest controversies I think there is a lot of school pride something unusual about emory is the high ratio of minority students

Best thing is class sizes and faculty. I'd either move emory a little closer into atlanta, or let freshman have cars on campus. I think the size of the school is just right. I spend most of my time either in my room or the fraternity house. There is no school pride most likely because there is no football team.

Robbie

I'd say the best thing about Emory is that the school is small enough so that you can get to know a large percentage of the student body, but large enough so that it feels bigger than high school. I do wish the undergrad pop. was a little bigger (maybe 7,500), but it's a pretty decent size and easy to adjust to. A lot of my friends back home don't know too much at all about Emory, but my family friends (my dad is an academic) all think very highly of it and know about its good and improving reputation. So, another thing I'd change is to recruit more on the west coast and outside of the northeast. I never once heard anything about Emory until I received a letter in the mail my junior year of HS. I spend most my time in my room, at the WoodPEC, around the DUC and at the AEPi house. Our only college town is Emory Village. It has some decent places to eat, but it sure as hell isn't a hangout place. I'll be honest...it sucks. Emory administration is a little too hard and unforgiving to many of the school's good fraternities, and not hard enough on ones like APES. The administration should be more flexible in allowing what kind of events fraternities can hold, and when. The policy about not allowing fraternities to hold alcohol-involved philanthropy events is ridiculous. For instance, charging a 21-year-old $5 admission for a specially-themed party, then giving all the proceeds to charity isn't allowed...that is just plain stupid. School pride? People love the school, but pride would be better if the athletics were better. most frequent student complaints: the girls, the school doesn't recruit enough outside of the northeast, and the administration is too hard on the good frats on campus

campus and greek life...college town like westwood at UCLA...just the right size...whats emory? or wow thats a good school...room, frat house, gym...no college town...good but a little empowering with social aspects...i dont think there was one controversy the student body could identify and pick out...no school pride...really nice campus especially when the weather is nice...first day...not enough girls go out

reid

its a fun liberal place where i can find a lot of people who are like me that i enjoy hanging out with

Best thing is the greek life. I'd change the freshman meal plans. School is just right. People are impressed when I tell them I go to Emory. In my dorm or fraternity house. "What College Town". Emory Administration is fine. Biggest recent controversy..I have no idea? Some school pride. One experience I'll always remember is making the friends on my floor and creating great friendships with them. The food in the DUC is terrible.

Jody

the classes are excellent, small and well-taught. We need more attractive girls. It is the perfect size. some people are impressed, some aren't. My fraternity house, the library, or my dorm. decatur is a better college town than emory village. Haven't dealt much with the administration. Little to no school pride. Nothing unusual here. Accepting a bid to pledge a fraternity.

The best thing about Emory is the balance between academics and social life. The weather is great also.

Abe

The warm climate, friendly atmosphere, great size, good academics. I would like there to be better food, hotter girls, more school sports spirit. Atlanta is a great college city and our proximity is a perfect distance.

The best thing about Emory is the education. If I could change one thing then I would make the people here have less of a sense of entitlement. I feel like a lot of kids at emory who come from means think that they deserve everything. People are usually pretty impressed when I say I go to Emory if they have heard of it although it doesn't have an overwhelming national presence. I spend most of my time on campus in my dorm or at the gym. There is definitely no college town feel although there is a sense of the "Emory bubble". The biggest recent controversy on campus was over making off-campus fraternities against the honor code. One thing unique to emory is the diversity of the student body.

Ari

The best thing about Emory is how willing the faculty is to work with you if you have a problem or a question. So far, my teachers have been incredibly helpful during class as well as after class. One thing that I would change about Emory is that I wish the students had more school spirit. The size is just right. When I tell people I go to Emory, the usual response is "Oh, what a GREAT school, and isn't it nice down there in Atlanta?" I spend most of my time on campus in my room or at the gym. Emory is a pretty small college town. The administration does a great job making sure their students are happy and safe. Recently, the biggest controversy on campus has been how the administration has dealt with the off-campus fraternity APES. There is not a lot of school pride. One thing about Emory that is unusual is that while there are many new beautiful buildings, the gym is not that nice. One experience that I will always remember is "running the row" at the end of rush. The most frequent student complaints are probably about the lack of food choice on campus.

school pride could be a lot better, a football team might help that. school is a good size, although seems a lot smaller than I thought 6,000 undergrad would feel. classes are good, but it would be nicer if the teachers had a more consistent grading system; some people go through taking classes very easy to get good grades in while others take more meaningful classes but end up with a bad g.p.a.