Emory University

« See more reviews of Emory University

I advise parents and students to start preparing for college early by attending college fairs, taking college tours, and talking to people that are attending college or have attended college. Don't let the price of college deture you from attending because there are so many different ways to finance college and the earlier you check into your finance opitions the better chances you have at getting good finances for college.

While making a college decision, let your child decide what is best for him or her. Do not push your kid past his or her limits by taking years of SAT prep in the hopes of acceptance to an academically prestigious college. Students will get into these schools on their own merit, so basically your child will be sinking. Have fun in high school, you will work plenty hard in college. Stay focused and you will get it done!

go to college to get a degree something that interest you. you may thank that you don't need it but thank about this: what if the enconemy crashes and you job dose y with your job that leaves you job less and just thank you might have other people like your kids that depend on that income as well and now ou out of a job and you thought money was tight it get even tighter. thank you might be a single parent???????

Hey don't be naive and get discouraged if you fail. In high school it's easy to get ahead, but when you go to college everyone will be the same as you if not better and competing towards the same goals. Be more assertive and confident and don't be afraid to try and reach for what you want. Even if you devote all your time towards one thing and still don't get it, it's okay. You are just beginning.

I would tell myself not to expect the same attitudes out of college professors, and to be aware that the variety of teaching styles go way beyond what high school can show you. I would tell myself to be prepared to deal with a larger variety of people, and enjoy being able to be surrounded by so many new people at one time. I would tell myself to NEVER be afraid to ask questions nor to speak up!

I think you always have to keep an open mind when entering college. It's a big step and a huge adjustment. Make sure to use the reseources you have, such as friends and family, because that's your best bet to really easing yourself into the change. Any decision you make, really stick to it and see how you can integrate yourself into the school rather than forcing the school to mesh with you.

I would have told myself to learn how to study and have time management. While I was in high school, I didn't really need to know how to study. I would just take down notes and listen in a class, and I would get A's on my test. Time management is important since you don't have the same classes everyday, so you need to use that "free" time to do homework and study.

I would suggest that parents allow their students to come up with what environment best suits them instead of trying to force a certain college on their student. When the student is the most comfortable, the grades will reflect that. Parents should also give their students freedom with just a bit of structure because it allows them to begin to think as an adult.

Make sire to visit all colleges before you decide. You can feel the atmosphere of a school in terms of how comfortable you will be if you do this. It also allows you to see the size of the school and the transportation issues. Also talk to either current students or current grads that are not involved in the tour-giving process to get a better idea.

Do not be afraid of failing courses or of classes being too challenging. Instead, focus on putting forth the time to be your very best. The brain is like a muscle; the more that you work it, the stronger it gets. Intelligence is not a fixed ability; you can excel at whatever you desire. Pursue research opportunities that Emory has to offer.