Emory University Top Questions

Letisha

Do not be afraid of failing courses or of classes being too challenging. Instead, focus on putting forth the time to be your very best. The brain is like a muscle; the more that you work it, the stronger it gets. Intelligence is not a fixed ability; you can excel at whatever you desire. Pursue research opportunities that Emory has to offer.

Nury

The transition to college is crucial to becoming a full-fledged college student and if not done well, it could affect your first year college experience as well as your future career. As a graduated high school senior, I felt like I could conquer the world and assimilate to college life easily, especially because I was going to school in-state and my parents as well as many high school friends were relatively close. I was completely wrong to think my life would not change dramatically so the most important piece of advice I could give is to not only expect everything to change, but also to let go of your old life. As a college student, you'll have different teachers, friends, and a different living space. As this is accepted, the transition to college life becomes so much easier. However, stay true to yourself, meaning do not trade your values and morals for anything, which can be tempting when you see yourself alone. The truth is, the other first year students are as scared as you and chances are, you will find a group that share the same interests as you. Obstacles are better tackled as a team.

Justin

I would tell past Justin to realize the role of money and the practical nature of money that defy his idealistic aspirations. Private universities are a business, and like all businesses they want to make as much profit as possible. So don't succumb to the temptations of forgetting just how much of a sacrifice his parents are making for the sake of their son. I would also tell him to enjoy the college experience but to never for one second put faith in it. College should not be the greatest period of his life. It should simply be a brief moment of transition towards discovering more about who he is until he discovers his passions and pursues them for the rest of his life.

Tichelle

College will be nothing you dreamed of, but more than you ever expected. I know you have excelled in high school and expect the same at Emory University, but understand there will be some challenges along the way. While your grandmother, aunt, and mom may encounter complications with kidney and heart failure during college, do not be ashamed to seek counseling and persevere so that you continue to excel academically and strive towards becoming a cardiologist that helps prevent and manage heart failure. Also, realize your high school education was not the same as your new peers who may be more academically prepared than your background allowed. You must be dedicated and unashamed to seek tutoring to eliminate the educational gap between you and your peers. However, while college may have challenges and not be as glamorous as MTV movies portray, it will be a time for you to grow, learn, and laugh. Four years will produce an independent, productive young woman who, despite educational disadvantages, consistently makes the Dean’s list, leads community initiatives, and produces research worthy of publication. College will provide you with a lifetime of friends, opportunities, and positive generational changes within your family and others.

I would tell myself that I should plan ahead and be more proactive about my career path. Choosing not to care because the future scared me only made me have to go to a college that I disliked. I would tell myself that the choices that I made right now would affect me in the future. I would tell myself that it's okay to feel scared and anxious about the future and that it's okay to talk it out with people. It won't make me less of a person if I showed these more vulnerable sides of myself with other people, it will only make me stronger.

Tom

Do not walk with your head elevated, suspended over a crowd of those you consider lesser than you. Drop your hubris at home and make it a habit to engage with everyone who is a part of the student body, no matter his or her grade level. Having cordial social skills is a requisite to success in university, and if you enter university with your nose in the air and the conviction that you're at the top of the food chain, you will never be a desired member of any student society, lecture or discussion class. Learn to have faith in the qualifications of your teachers; do not get stuck in the mindset that teachers are merely supplements to textbooks, or that more information can be gleaned by reading a paragraph than having a discussion with your teacher. The lecturers at university are there because they have a professed interest in their field, so go to their office during contact hours and engage them in a discussion after class. Admittedly, not all lecturers will connect with the subject that they’re teaching, but regardless, do not make textbooks your sole source of information: seek out knowledge from your professors.

Deidre

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to not be so stressed out and to enjoy college life. I would have told myself that the friends I will make, things I experience and things I learned will be amazing. I really cant see myself anywhere else!

Talia

First and foremost I would tell myself how wonderful I was doing and that none of my work was in vain. My genuine interest in the subjects being taught and the extra work I put into classes all had benefits, even if I could not foresee them at the time. For example, my experience with human anatomy classes had me more prepared for my psychobiology course as a freshman undergraduate than other students in the class. Now, I know my struggles in highschool not only revolved around assignments and tests, but also people. I learned immense patience in the presence of biggotry and hate. I learned kindness and calmness in the face of aggression. I learned independence and self-confidence in the midst of a crowd of teenagers, all trying to figure out who they are. I learned value. All of these things have benefited me tremendously at college; have gotten me through the most stressful weeks with ease—I assure you, final's week is no joke—, have given me a positive mindset in an environment full of negativty, and have given me confidence in the face of doubt.

Hollie

If I could go back in time and give college advice to myself, I would tell myself to look at all of the career options out there and to not rush the decision. When I first decided to go back to school in 1998, I chose a major that I believed would get me a job in any office. Looking back, I don't want to say that I was wrong, but I think I should have looked at different options before making that decision. Now that I am older (and hopefully wiser), I have decided to go back and get into the medical field. My goal is to become a surgical tech at a hospital. Originally, I was looking at becoming a radiology tech, but after volunteering at a hospital and learning about other jobs, I was able to job shadow and figure out what exactly what I want to do with the rest of my life. I believe that I will be happy with this decision.

Reem

Most people around you are complaining about how they’re “so over school,” and there’s probably a countdown to the days till graduation on some whiteboard. Of course, you’re looking forward to graduation and excited about college, but when that’s all anyone talks about, it’s easy to let your senior year slip away like grains of sand in your hand. Don’t let that happen. Rather than consume your thoughts with future hopes, focus more on the present—on academics on college/scholarship/financial aid applications, of course, but also on something equally critical. Focus on relationships. You’ll probably never see the students in your classes again; make an effort to get to know them a little more, to laugh with them, even if you don’t like them. Reach out to your teachers. It’s so easy to spend time with teachers in high school--not so in college! Most importantly, don’t forget your family. Even though you’re looking forward to moving out, realize that you will miss home. Do something sweet for your mom. Hang out with your brother. In sum, make the most of where you are right now.

Zana

First, take a deep breath…matter of fact take a couple. College is astronomically important absolutely, but it’s just one chapter of life. You have a right to mess up and you have a right to change your mind –you’ll do both. Just enjoy and absorb every moment. Don’t worry so much about the illustrious yet frightening Future; no decision you make right now will plummet you into poverty after graduation or immediately solidify you your dream job. So just try to relax and think clearly. Don’t rush or overdo it. The fun events and social activities aren’t going to evaporate if you don’t soak them all up now. Neither will the classes you want/need for your major. You have an obligation to yourself to enjoy this experience. Which means: get out of your comfort zone, take that class that’s full of upperclassmen, get to really know a professor outside of class, find your go-to study spot (which doesn’t have to be the library), eat dinner alone sometimes, figure out what you’re really passionate about, and mostly, focus on the good and enjoy college to the fullest. Good Luck!

Jayde

Dear Jayde, Wow, look at you. You're about to graduate from high school, congratulations. I know you may have felt awkward throughout the past four years and looking back on it, you know you've made some pretty crazy decisions, but all is not lost! The best is yet to come for you. College will allow you to blossom in ways you didn't know were possible! You're going to go to a great school and meet people who become the greatest friends. Of course you're nervous right now, but once you get over that transition, you're gonna soar. You'll learn so many things and see so many new things. You'll get to have more graduations than the average college student considering where you chose to go to school! And you'll have your dream of going to nursing school :) You'll continue to work on yourself and nursing school will help you do that. I think you'll find yourself the most there. So don't worry so much! You'll do just fine. You always have :) Love yourself! Sincerely, ME :D

Nancy

Cup ramen (or ramyun in the Korean variety) is what I lived on for most of my freshman year in college. I know, I know, junky food like that is typical for college students, even when tasteless and sodium-free meal plans are forced down our throats (at least that was the case for my school). And yet, even though I don't mind eating "fast food in the purest definition", I think my first year would have been much more enjoyable if I knew how to cook. My dorm had a great kitchen, and we had a sustainable garden right down the street. Knowing how to utilize these resources would have made for some more tastier nights.

During my senior year of high school, I wish I had known how to properly treat advice. As I considered myself a very independent person, I insisted on conducting my entire college search by myself in order to assure that the school of my choice would be the right fit down to every detail. This way of selection is not very useful when you are often wrong about what said "details" you need from your school. I graduated from high school quite proud and also anxious for the new college life that awaited. Needless to say, it was nothing like expected. Fearing the difficulty of college that many people reported to me in conversations about my search, I chose a college below my academic levels, while a misunderstanding of the wonders of financial aid pushed me toward a public school for mostly commuters. After a year of ill-fitting classes and no social environment to enjoy on the side, I finally decided to fix my mistake and transfer to the right school for me. As a high school senior, I would simply tell myself "Listen to your guidance counselor!".

Behinia

Grab ahold of the concepte that you are fully on your own. Grasp the feeling of exploring and let go of what teachers and parents say. Listen to yourself, but use the tools they have bestowed apon you. Find out your major or calling in life. Research the best school program and what the school cost. Make sure to look into all options. University, Vocational, Community, Institute. After, dive into options In state or out of state and how much the school will coast additional to out of state cost. Do you want hands on or class environments. Then see what your school of choice can offer you as far as programs to help further your education. Also if you have an orientation day, ask as many questions to the people guiding you around the camps. Such as, "Is there a good student to teacher ratio?" and "Is classmate or online help available If I don't understand how to complete a task or a homework site if I miss class?". Make sure to not be too far from home, you still need laundery done, but remain independent and try to do as much while your setting up your future.

Isaac

I would tell myself to be more diligent in my efforts in school when I first graduated. I did quite poorly in my first year of college in 2002. I have had to struggle greatly to improve my GPA as I have transferred to several different schools. I would also tell myself to be true to yourself and do what makes you happy.

Darrell

During the week, spend a couple hours each day in the library. Even if there isn't work due tomorrow, it can help to do some work every day in a productive setting. Realize that classes are important, but so too are the relationships you will make and the things you will do. Make your college experience one that you will remember fondly. Choose good people to be around and relish your time with some of the closest friends you will ever have.

Jacqueline

Knowing what I know now I would tell myself to not have a cow. College is fun and exciting Where I was, all the people were very inviting. I would tell myself to cherish my seniority and final days on top, Because as a freshmen you’re at the bottom of the pot. Go to college with a blank slate, Make those appointments and keep those dates. Be sure to spend time with mom and dad Because you WILL miss them and be sad. Keep focused until the very end, And with friends, make amends. Trust your instincts and your college decision Don’t regret or cut yourself with an incision. Because everything happens for a reason And the reason will reveal itself in season. Also, the college ads for specially priced dorm gear, laundry services, and yearbooks- beware Because once you get here, nobody cares. (And they’re actually not cheaper). Oh yeah, and be wary of cupcakes and heavy meals Because freshmen 15 is real.

ODez

I believe that the biggest mistake that I made during my first year in college is not taking advantage of the resources that my school offered. Coming from a highschool where I barely had to study to get good grades, I believed that I might be able to do the same thing in college. That was not the case. College is very different from high school and requires so much more work. Even when I thought I was doing everything that I could do, I really wasn't doing enough. I would just advise myself to take advantage of the writing center to help me with my papers, take advantage of the tutors that are available to help all students at pretty much any time, and to take advantage of creating personal relationships with professors by visiting their office hours constantly whether it be to ask questions or to just have a normal conversation with them.

I would tell myself to learn how to use an agenda. Writing down homework, activities, and meetings is important in college. It seems easy, but there are more than just 2 homework assignments and 2 meetings to remember. Writing down everything helps you get organized, too. I would also tell myself to be open-minded of people. Some of our best friends in college are people we never would have spoken to in high school. This leads me to think that there are lots of people I’ve lost the opportunity to know. Communication and organization has been the most important changes in my transition to college.

Kevin

Every semester matter. It is not smart to try hard for one semester and to lose that motivation for another semester. This idea is very important because your GPA is also a cummulative number that builds off of the previous semester. Thus, there is no time to give half of your full potential. Your time is precious, don't waste it.

Samuel

Know everything about your school before you apply. There are resources available to tell you everything there is to know about the schools to which you are applying. Student surveys and news rankings can help you pick the right school for you. Things to consider include students' relationships with faculty, the availability of academic and psychological support, and the condition of the school library. Most importantly, choose a school that is affordable, because the stresses of financial application can often be very difficult to endure. Your studies in college will undoubtedly be harder than they are high school, but that does not mean your life has to transform dramatically. Pay attention in lectures, take notes, and ask questions when you don't understand. Review what you can before class to avoid cramming. If you budget your time well, retaining the information you learn will become second nature. Finally, no matter what catastrophe you think you're suffering, don't panic.

Elisabeth

Dear HIgh School Me, As you start your journey to adult hood, picking a college may be one of the most important components to your life in the future. My advice to you is to pick a college that has a program best suited for you. One of the most important things to consider when considering when choosing college and a career is to choose something that you are going to love and throw your heart and soul into. Making money is always fun, but if you go to college and put so much time, effort, and money into something you don't enjoy doing, you will not have a fulfilling life. Please pursue your passions, and do what you love. Also, i encourage you to plan ahead, save money, make a budget (and follow it), and apply for as many scholarships as possible! Your life will be much easier if you put time into planning financially for your future. It would be best to try and graduate college with the least amount of debt at possible. If you follow these few pieces of advice, you may very well be secessful after college. Best of luck!

Oluwaposi

If I were to rewind back to high school, I would advice myself to always maintain what gives me success. College is about working hard and staying on track and being consistent in one's way of living, whether it pertains to maintaining a good GPA or maintaining a cohesive social connections with friends. When I commit myself to those things that have promoted my happiness, no matter how hard they were, I would receive better results. Presently, I do not approach my college life with the level of effort I should because I get engulfed with situations that catch my interest at a particular moment. Most times I forget the truth that life itself is a journey of prime steadfastness and consistency. So, in essence, I tend to compromise my stands on how I should live. But this cannot work to my advantage because my results would be shortchanged incomplete. It is important to find and keep to the status quo. When one has done such a good job, they say "Keep It Up" for a purposeful reason because they know how hard it is. They understand that one is even more successful when he repeats his good habits

Asha

I would have told myself to take more AP courses, because those are what really gives you a headstart in college.

Sherl

I would tell myself that continuing your education after high school open the doors to many opportunities. It also makes you a well rounded person because you learn about how you can serve your communities and the world through what type of degree you acquire. You also have the opportunity to meet and learn from and with people of different ethnic , socio economic, religous, racial, political, and people who may have a different sexual orientation preferences than yours. Education takes you from living in a secular society and introduces you to what it might be like to live in a collective society. It also forces you to stretch the boundaries of your mind by expanding your knowledge of the world. But most importantly of all no one can ever take away what you have learned from you because knowledge is power.

Neema

Getting into a good college is the easy part, paying for it is a struggle. Never assume that everything will be covered by financial aid, apply for scholarship before, during, and after applying to colleges, and keep doing so in college. If you you have a slight interest in something, go for it, it could become your profession.

Paula

As a high school senior, I had absolutely no idea what I wanted in a college. Despite visiting over 25 universities, I chose to settle for a large university that my parents were happy with and where I knew I could make good grades. I did not have the confidence in my capabilities to apply to "reach" schools. After an unhappy year there, I transferred to a school that I previously thought to be beyond my reach. It turned out to be a perfect fit. Looking back I wish I had taken advantage of more leadership and academic opportunities at my high school to build confidence in my abilities. I am an extremely motivated student now that I am in college, and I wish I had challenged myself to have better study habits in high school. Finally, the best advice anyone ever gave me was to find the school that is the best environment for me to grow as a person no matter the obstacles. My high-school self did not believe they could be overcome those obstacles, but she was wrong.

Nkiruka

Before attending Emory University, I was rather content with myself and my intellectual strengths. I felt like I knew it all and had learned all the tricks of the trade. It is safe to say that college has truly humbled me. What this first semester has taught me is that I must stay confident in myself in order to be successful. Those that succeed, give themselves positive feedback and self-encouragement. This gives them support from within making them encouraged rather than already defeated. With this attitude, I know I will succeed, for I am intelligent and dedicated to my future. Over the course of my first semester, I also learned to give myself space for growth and to understand that the wonderful quality of life is that it is dynamic, and is only truly experienced through constant change and dynamic transformation. College is the unique time in my life to explore and undergo this metamorphosis. While in turn battling the rigorous pre-med academic track, I must remember that I will never get this specially allotted time of self-contemplation, self-reflection, and self-progression. And if I could go back in time I would use every second wisely.

Christina

The weather is generally very warm, so don't bring too many bulky sweaters. The food at Cox is way better than the food at the DUC. Printing is not free at Emory. A large amount of people are in Greek life and freshman are not allowed at parties during the first few weeks. Don't swim in the SAE pool. Emory is very diverse, so be prepared to meet people from all different backgrounds. Be open-minded to meeting new people. Don't be afraid to try new things and learn something new from others. JOIN CLUBS to meet new people, as well as talking to people in class. Emory is not as big as one thinks so don't make bad decisions. Be aggressive and independent and don't expect things to happen on their own. You have to be independent and do things yourself. Emory administration isn't that good, but everyone is pretty helpful when asked for help. Use the gym, the study rooms in the stacks, and the cool technology in Cox Hall. There is always something to do, you just have to be alert and find it. Overall, enjoy as much as you can of Freshman year because you'll be graduating sooner than you think. Freshman year is when you meet a lot of friends, but you can always make friends as you get older. Just remember to try things so that when you are ready to declare a major, you are ready. And also, be ready to have the time of your life.

Christina

Christina

Oluwatosin

Not until recently, after thinking of the most important pieces of advice, did I come to the realization that giving insight to myself of college’s forthcomings would have ruined the exciting wonder of the unknown. Attending a university is a huge learning experience and some of them may be unfavorable. I can honestly mention that I am comfortable with all occurrences thus far in my college experience. I believe that both positive attributes and negative ones contribute to a successful college experience. If I had not gotten a less than desired grade on my first African American Studies argumentative paper, I would not have displayed as much appreciation after months of “trial and error” when receiving my first A. Also, say I had not gotten off at the wrong MARTA train station, I would have missed out on a rather unique journey exploring the night life in the city of Atlanta with my friends. I hope as a senior I would remember that college is what I have deemed the “Kingdom of Trial and Error”: it is best to be open minded in general but cautious when making decisions, especially important ones, and to accept what is destined.

Brea

I would tell myself not to expect the same attitudes out of college professors, and to be aware that the variety of teaching styles go way beyond what high school can show you. I would tell myself to be prepared to deal with a larger variety of people, and enjoy being able to be surrounded by so many new people at one time. I would tell myself to NEVER be afraid to ask questions nor to speak up!

ashley

go to college to get a degree something that interest you. you may thank that you don't need it but thank about this: what if the enconemy crashes and you job dose y with your job that leaves you job less and just thank you might have other people like your kids that depend on that income as well and now ou out of a job and you thought money was tight it get even tighter. thank you might be a single parent???????

Li-ling

Hey don't be naive and get discouraged if you fail. In high school it's easy to get ahead, but when you go to college everyone will be the same as you if not better and competing towards the same goals. Be more assertive and confident and don't be afraid to try and reach for what you want. Even if you devote all your time towards one thing and still don't get it, it's okay. You are just beginning.

Ailya

Looking back I would probably start my college career at a public school with lots of financial aid and funding. As long as one does well academically at a public school, they are eligible to attend a great private graduate school and incur less debt and the costs as opposed to attending private undergraduate and graduate school.

I would tell myself to hold off and not apply Early Decision to Emory so that I could see what oterh schools I was accepted at. I would also tell myself to spend more time with my family and not worry about those friends who I really didn't care for with the promise that with a new school comes new, better friendships. I would also advise myself to enjoy the time I had at home, even though I was bursting to get away. Most importantly though I would tell myself to enjoy the ride, that things will come up and obstacles are unavoidable but that with focus everything works out just fine.

Esther

College has truly been a learning experience. Sure you learn a lot about your major, but that incomparable to all the different things you realize, experience and ultimately learn. You learn what you want to be and how to become that. You learn your motives and develop a work ethic that will achieve those motives. You find inspiration and learn to become an inspiration to others. You meet people from all over the world and learn new things. You throw yourself into a new and somewhat strange environment and learn to adapt to it. You learn that there is so much to learn and that is the best way to live life.

Cassandra

I have acquired a true sense of purpose, growth and direction from attending Oxford College of Emory University. Such a cultivation of my interests and encouragement to pursue my dreams is what makes my education at Emory not only valuable, but priceless. After graduation, my high school classmates were full of great expectations for fulfilling our dreams. However, I’ve noticed a striking difference in our college experiences when we reunite over breaks. This difference is that many of my friends from high school aren’t at colleges that make them feel that going to college is actually worth their time and money. Of course some of this anxiety is normal, because we are all eager to “get our hands dirty” with practical, real life experience rather than simply reading about it. Yet, I have never questioned why I am in college like my friends. I know that with every quiz, paper, and reading assignment, I am getting closer to fulfilling my dream of making a difference in the world through politics. My college education is valuable, because it has taught me that as long as I work hard, my dreams don’t have to loose grandeur in coming true.

Pablo

Throughout College, we might think that there are a lot of things are studied in vane. I don't think that way. When I first started College I was sure I was going to be a Plastic Surgeon, by my second year I was completely sure about studying Advertising. College helped me to mature in different areas of my life. It made me a more responsible person in a lot of ways. College has given me the opportunity to explore different areas of study and helped me realize what I really wanted to study. It has given me the best friends ever and a beautiful experience of trail and error. Everybody chould go to College. Its the besty way to really know what you are made from.

Allison

To be honest, I have gotten a large reality check about the real world. It was easy for me to not even realize how sheltered I was from adult like problems throughout high school. College experience has been valuable to help me gain my independence as a real adult. It has also been valuable for obvious reasons pertaining to the fact I am getting higher means of education. All in all, college experience for me is challenging and pushing myself to be a better student and ultimately a better individual.

truong

As and older student I love the college experience at Florida State University. First are the new school the new town. Second is the intensity and reward of learning. Third I learned the new solving skill from professors.

james

College is great for students who want to achieve a responsiblity of going out on their own and finding their way in life. The friendships that are created will last a lifetime due to interaction through classes, social life, and struggles that are common between the college students. Examples of struggles are pulling "all nighters" due to studying for final exams, managing your time wisely, and fitting the mold of the student. The information that your brain retains through college is a privelage that one should appreciate. Many people do not get the chance to attend college and experience the "college life." I have many friends now that never went to college whom are now stuck in their careers with no education to fall back. They all wish they would have went to college to recieve the additional knowledge a college student recieves.

Lan

I have gained knowledge. Knowledge of academics, varying cultures, and even life itself. Emory is a rigorous academic institution that has a wide range of opportunities for its students to excel. I greatly value the time and efforts that the professors put into teaching both inside and outside the classroom. When I look back at my first semester of college, I ama amzed at the amount of information that the professors were able to teach their students in a short amount of time. Furthermore, the students are able to express and take pride in their culture as well as being able to experience the festivals and/or the religious ceremonies of a great variety of cultures. For example, at Emory, the Indian Cultural Exchange group organized a Diwali festival including food, dance performances, and even fireworks. Finally, college has taught me the value of money and the difficulty of a job. Through federal work study, I have been able to work and experience a little bit of what work life is as I have never held a job before. To summarize, college has been a very valuable experience in which I have gained more knowledge than I expected.

Cinderella stories aren't just for movie screens and kids books. Sometimes it can apply to real life too, like it did for me. In high school I was clumsy, awkward, and was as sociable as a turtle in its shell. Due to this, my peers generally steered clear of me and I had very few friends. The summer before my freshman year of college, however, I decided that I wanted to change myself into the person that I want to be: funny and sociable. So I kicked my shyness to the curb and took advantage of the fact that no one from my high school went to my college, so I could start life literally anew. Now, I have more friends that I can count, friends that I know will stay with me for life. I love how college lets you throw yourself out into different situations so that you can really find out who you are and who you will be. My first year of college was the most impactful year of my life because I really found myself. I wish I had developed this confidence sooner!

Matthew

During the past four years in the exciting setting of Atlanta, Emory offered me an opportunity to explore new ideas while fostering a sense of idealism that the world can be a better place, that philanthropy can make a difference, and that diplomacy cannot only end wars but also prevent them. Although we live in hard times, Emory became a buffer for me to grow and mature, but most importantly, to hope of a brighter future. Emory University has even provided me with the opportunity to work in dignitaries like President Jimmy Carter. As I close my chapter at Emory and move on to the unrelenting waves of the real world, I hope I never forget the most important lesson that I have learned, that good intentions may not always win, but they can never lose.

Nakeyta

Coming out of my first year of college, I have learned the importance of having balance, faith, and focus. I am not a typical college student. I have spent my entire life as an over achiever, working my hardest, and being the best, so that I could have the opportunity to go to the college of my choice (Emory University). The problem was that once I finally got there, I fell into a downward spiral. I let the freedom of being a college student get in the way of my commitment to my studies. And the contentment that I was supposed to have found in excelling in my classes, I thought I could attain from the inside of a pill bottle. Although I am now back on track to achieving my goals and continuing my education at the school of my dreams, I will never forget the hardest lesson that I ever had to learn, and the most important thing that I got out of my college experience: time is precious, and once it is gone, you can never gain it back. Therefore, the decisions that you make must be beneficial to whatever you are working to accomplish, nothing less.

Deborah

I have had a diverse college experience thus far. I attended a fine arts college for two years, took two years off, spent a year at a public university, and now will be attending Emory University to finish my undergraduate work. This has allowed me to mature and discover my strengths and weaknesses. I also now have the capability to be secure in my choice of major, as I have taken the time to explore and decide what I want. Throughout this, the most valuable thing has probably been that I now understand the value in a strong college education in a way I didn't in high school. Thereby, I put much more effort into my studies, and enjoy the entire experience that much more.

Min

The first year in college introduced me to the next level in education, a variety of people from different backgrounds, and organizations that became a part of my life. The challenging classes at Emory University taught me a different way of thinking and how to view certain events. It has broadened my perspective greatly and positively. Besides the classes and education that I have gotten out of my college experience, the various people that I have met at college have been the most valuable to me. Not only the friends, but the professors offered themselves to be great help for us. They not only gave advices on our classes but also in our college lives. I moved from South Korea about 5 years ago, and since then, I had no interactions with Koreans. But now in college, I have found a new way of socializing with Koreans, and it has been one of the most interesting events that I have experienced in my life. Emory Univerisity offers so many opportunities to me, both academically ans socially. The first year in college has been the best one year in my life.