Emory University

« See more reviews of Emory University

If fiscally possible, try visiting it and staying there for a night. Read up as much as you can about not only the education you will recieve but the type of life you will be living. It is important to have fun and live in a comfortable setting because without this, it can become very difficult to suceed. Learn about what type of people attend the schools you are looking at. Find out if they are career oriented, school oriented etc. Make sure that you are going to a school that will help you find out what you want to do in life and if you already know what you want to pursue, make sure you attend a school that is good at teaching what you want to learn. Make sure that you are attending a school that you will be proud of ten years from now, not only because of the quality of education but becuase of the strides they are making in the global community. Finally, make sure that you are attending a school that can help you in finding a job of proffesional school once you leave your undergrad school.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself not to apply early decision to a college. When I was not accepted to my first-choice school, I was absolutely devastated. I reluctantly filled out the rest of my applications and decided to apply to Emory as an afterthough, and only because my two aunts had attended the school. After I was accepted, I came to visit and immediately fell in love with Emory. I knew this would be the perfect school for me and could not be happier with my choice. I now know that my first-choice school would have been a terrible fit and cannot believe how upset I was when I was not accepted. The truth is, people can find a way to be happy at whatever college they choose to attend, all that really matters is keeping a positive attitude. The message I would like to send to high school seniors is not to get caught up in the craziness of the college application process and to know that you will end up at the right school for you.

When I found Emory, I felt what I can only describe as a "buzz." When I got onto campus I felt energetic and curious. The environment was stimulating and I knew from research that the academic programs were strong enough to provide me with a strong background in any subject I chose. Once you get to the school where you belong, do your best to let go of your preconceived notions about what you are supposed to do or supposed to study in college. The majority of us changed our major at least once, but that's the point. The best thing you can do for yourself is follow whatever passions you may discover along the way and find something you can see yourself being happy with for the rest of your life. Don't choose your major based on average salary; that changes. Choose your major because it's something you don't dread staying up until 2 or 3 am to study and master. It took me two years to discover these things, but I don't regret that I spent 2 years not knowing because I now own this knowledge.

I would tell myself to prepare for some real studying. My study and work habits from high school will not be very effective in college. I should become familiar with the idea of completing my homework and projects on time or early, if at all possible. I would also warn myself about financial planning. High school is the best time to apply for scholarships because my first choice school is not cheap, and once I get in college I will forget to keep applying regularly. Mom and dad will always be there if I need money or support, but college is a good time to learn how to be a self-sufficient adult. I would also tell myself that in college a lot of young adults have a tendency to worry too much about the future. I should have long term goals, but I should also be flexible and do what is best for me. Depending too much on one career could prevent me from finding one that truly interests me. Finally, just relax, learn, have some fun, and make new friends because it will all work out in the end.

Don't put so much emphasis on school rank and prestige. The most important factor to think about are how well you'll fit in at the school- you're spending the next four years at college and you don't want to go through it apathetic and dissatisfied. You can make great friends anywhere, of course, but how much will you like the student body? How much will you like the atmosphere and spirit of the school? College is a time to grow academically and socially- don't stunt that by choosing what you think will look best to others. You can get a great education anywhere if you really apply yourself, so it's important that you focus on each college's lifestyle and attitude. No matter which college you choose, make sure to put yourself out there as soon as possible and get involved in what you're truly interested in. Try to get out of your box and connect with people you would normally ignore or feel disinclined to become friends with. Do new things, and don't be afraid of the consequences.

Know everything about your school before you apply. There are resources available to tell you everything there is to know about the schools to which you are applying. Student surveys and news rankings can help you pick the right school for you. Things to consider include students' relationships with faculty, the availability of academic and psychological support, and the condition of the school library. Most importantly, choose a school that is affordable, because the stresses of financial application can often be very difficult to endure. Your studies in college will undoubtedly be harder than they are high school, but that does not mean your life has to transform dramatically. Pay attention in lectures, take notes, and ask questions when you don't understand. Review what you can before class to avoid cramming. If you budget your time well, retaining the information you learn will become second nature. Finally, no matter what catastrophe you think you're suffering, don't panic.

Dear Jayde, Wow, look at you. You're about to graduate from high school, congratulations. I know you may have felt awkward throughout the past four years and looking back on it, you know you've made some pretty crazy decisions, but all is not lost! The best is yet to come for you. College will allow you to blossom in ways you didn't know were possible! You're going to go to a great school and meet people who become the greatest friends. Of course you're nervous right now, but once you get over that transition, you're gonna soar. You'll learn so many things and see so many new things. You'll get to have more graduations than the average college student considering where you chose to go to school! And you'll have your dream of going to nursing school :) You'll continue to work on yourself and nursing school will help you do that. I think you'll find yourself the most there. So don't worry so much! You'll do just fine. You always have :) Love yourself! Sincerely, ME :D

As a high school senior, I had absolutely no idea what I wanted in a college. Despite visiting over 25 universities, I chose to settle for a large university that my parents were happy with and where I knew I could make good grades. I did not have the confidence in my capabilities to apply to "reach" schools. After an unhappy year there, I transferred to a school that I previously thought to be beyond my reach. It turned out to be a perfect fit. Looking back I wish I had taken advantage of more leadership and academic opportunities at my high school to build confidence in my abilities. I am an extremely motivated student now that I am in college, and I wish I had challenged myself to have better study habits in high school. Finally, the best advice anyone ever gave me was to find the school that is the best environment for me to grow as a person no matter the obstacles. My high-school self did not believe they could be overcome those obstacles, but she was wrong.

Based on my experience at college, the best advice I could to myself as a high school senior would be to ask questions. I think the biggest problem that I have had with transitioning to college has been learning how to ask for help when I?ve been confused about decisions concerning my academic life. I would encourage myself to email teachers when I was excited about their work and to make more connections based on intellectual or academic interests. I would emphasize that I should email more often in general and try harder to keep in touch with people. When I was transitioning to college, I didn?t realize how much of my life would come to involve academics. Staying on top of my responsibilities at school is always more fulfilling when I?m keeping up with my work and enjoying the people I?m around. I would tell myself to welcome the changes or challenges and to be excited about the incredible opportunity to learn with great professors and amazing friends.

Cinderella stories aren't just for movie screens and kids books. Sometimes it can apply to real life too, like it did for me. In high school I was clumsy, awkward, and was as sociable as a turtle in its shell. Due to this, my peers generally steered clear of me and I had very few friends. The summer before my freshman year of college, however, I decided that I wanted to change myself into the person that I want to be: funny and sociable. So I kicked my shyness to the curb and took advantage of the fact that no one from my high school went to my college, so I could start life literally anew. Now, I have more friends that I can count, friends that I know will stay with me for life. I love how college lets you throw yourself out into different situations so that you can really find out who you are and who you will be. My first year of college was the most impactful year of my life because I really found myself. I wish I had developed this confidence sooner!