Emory University

« See more reviews of Emory University

I have had a diverse college experience thus far. I attended a fine arts college for two years, took two years off, spent a year at a public university, and now will be attending Emory University to finish my undergraduate work. This has allowed me to mature and discover my strengths and weaknesses. I also now have the capability to be secure in my choice of major, as I have taken the time to explore and decide what I want. Throughout this, the most valuable thing has probably been that I now understand the value in a strong college education in a way I didn't in high school. Thereby, I put much more effort into my studies, and enjoy the entire experience that much more.

I would tell past Justin to realize the role of money and the practical nature of money that defy his idealistic aspirations. Private universities are a business, and like all businesses they want to make as much profit as possible. So don't succumb to the temptations of forgetting just how much of a sacrifice his parents are making for the sake of their son. I would also tell him to enjoy the college experience but to never for one second put faith in it. College should not be the greatest period of his life. It should simply be a brief moment of transition towards discovering more about who he is until he discovers his passions and pursues them for the rest of his life.

Throughout College, we might think that there are a lot of things are studied in vane. I don't think that way. When I first started College I was sure I was going to be a Plastic Surgeon, by my second year I was completely sure about studying Advertising. College helped me to mature in different areas of my life. It made me a more responsible person in a lot of ways. College has given me the opportunity to explore different areas of study and helped me realize what I really wanted to study. It has given me the best friends ever and a beautiful experience of trail and error. Everybody chould go to College. Its the besty way to really know what you are made from.

Make sure that the college is in an environment that you know you will enjoy - it helps motivate you a lot more than somewhere where you aren't sure you'll be happy. Look into the types of people that attend the school and read into teacher accessibility, class size, etc. and make sure it's a good fit for you. Don't go somewhere that you have to convince yourself you'll be comfortable at. If you're not happy, you won't do well. It's better to go to an average college if you know that it will give you a better experience than a more higher-ranked college that you have heard negative things about. Definitely visit the campus and talk to the students.

When choosing a school it is important for people to make sure they enjoy it. In oreder to perform your best, you must be happy. At the school you attend, make sure that most of your needs are met. Ask yourself, am I happy? Will attending this school help me be successful? Lastly, picture yourself at any school you are considering. Then ask yourself can I see myself here everyday for the next four years. To students trust the judgement of your parents. To parents listen to ALL of the needs and wants your student has. If you do most of what I have said, your college selection should be easy and enjoyable! I wish everyone the best of luck!

Cup ramen (or ramyun in the Korean variety) is what I lived on for most of my freshman year in college. I know, I know, junky food like that is typical for college students, even when tasteless and sodium-free meal plans are forced down our throats (at least that was the case for my school). And yet, even though I don't mind eating "fast food in the purest definition", I think my first year would have been much more enjoyable if I knew how to cook. My dorm had a great kitchen, and we had a sustainable garden right down the street. Knowing how to utilize these resources would have made for some more tastier nights.

Do your research and make your preparations, but do not stress too much over it. There is only so much to consider before you just have to make your choice and jump right in. College is important, but do not give it too much weight in your mind, for there is much more yet in store for you in life. Go to college, meet people, study hard but make time for your friends, stay close to the people you value (near and far), fall into activites that you enjoy and which are good for others and the world, and be sure to find yourself and when you do, stay true to yourself. It sounds like a lot but it's not too hard.

College has truly been a learning experience. Sure you learn a lot about your major, but that incomparable to all the different things you realize, experience and ultimately learn. You learn what you want to be and how to become that. You learn your motives and develop a work ethic that will achieve those motives. You find inspiration and learn to become an inspiration to others. You meet people from all over the world and learn new things. You throw yourself into a new and somewhat strange environment and learn to adapt to it. You learn that there is so much to learn and that is the best way to live life.

I would tell myself to learn how to use an agenda. Writing down homework, activities, and meetings is important in college. It seems easy, but there are more than just 2 homework assignments and 2 meetings to remember. Writing down everything helps you get organized, too. I would also tell myself to be open-minded of people. Some of our best friends in college are people we never would have spoken to in high school. This leads me to think that there are lots of people I’ve lost the opportunity to know. Communication and organization has been the most important changes in my transition to college.

I would tell myself to hold off and not apply Early Decision to Emory so that I could see what oterh schools I was accepted at. I would also tell myself to spend more time with my family and not worry about those friends who I really didn't care for with the promise that with a new school comes new, better friendships. I would also advise myself to enjoy the time I had at home, even though I was bursting to get away. Most importantly though I would tell myself to enjoy the ride, that things will come up and obstacles are unavoidable but that with focus everything works out just fine.