Emory University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Emory University

anusheh

Best school ever.. enjoy my life and receiving a good education

Christina

I love my school, and while there are a lot of things to be improved (community and extracurriculars primarily), the school does a good job of trying to improve and make everyone feel welcome. I'm very happy to be here and have the opportunities that only this school can offer, like the access to the CDC. There are an abundance of research and medically related internships and jobs for students as well. The business school is also one of the top rated in the country.

Garrett

It is an amazing university with great opportunities.

Charlotte

When I first entered Emory University as a high school senior on a campus tour, I was amazed by the beauty of the campus. Minus a few buildings, the Emory main campus is beautiful, and will be more beautiful with the complete construction of the Campus Life Center by May 2019. As a freshman, Emory provided a lot of fun events and made students feel welcome. The faculty are also all very intelligent and friendly to students, though there may be a few exceptions. The student body is also friendly as well. However, there is a serious lack of communication between Emory departments and clubs, causing a serious absence of unity. Collaboration between departments/clubs is rare unless students proactively seek it. There is also a slight lack of drive in Emory, since most students are focusing on pre-professional tracks instead of developing themselves as well-rounded individuals. You're not going to get philosophical discussion in Emory unless you're in an upper-level philosophy class.

Emory University is a very warm and bright place where I felt instantly welcomed. I was truly captivated by the beautiful campus and the tour I had was nowhere near disappointing. What I truly love about this campus is how diverse it is and how classrooms embrace a spectrum of different ideas with open arms. I've met people from all over the world and I have learned topics that have helped molded me into the enthusiastic student I am today.

Evan

I'm at the Oxford campus, and so far it's been a great experience. Three out of four of my professors are fantastic, and the other one is just pretty good. The community is very close and friendly, so it's super easy to get involved. The tendency though is to get too involved, so you have to be careful.

Raiden

Great. Has a diverse community that is open to many mindsets. The professors make themselves available outside of class. The people are very nice, the food at the cafeteria is good. Technically not in the heart of Atlanta; located in a more rural area that is about 20-30 minutes away from the city.

Sally

I'm basing my review off of my experience of talking to second year students from the new students Facebook page, and so far, Emory University seems like a well rounded school. When I had a question, I was immediately put in a group chat with other second year students who have had the same problem I did. Also, I talked to one of the students about my religion and finding a church in the area, and he was so welcome and went above and beyond on introducing me to his church group.

Leslie

Emory University provides a competitive education while providing the resources to succeed. They have numerous tutoring options and help sessions. Emory University is also very involved in volunteering. They always have events for the entire campus to volunteer.

Aspasia

Emory is a home to very few people passionate about the liberal arts. While the professors in the liberal arts department have fascinated and anchored me, only very small amounts of students do more than dip their feet into water that is not flavored with financial intent and challenging mental horizons. The visual arts programmed is largely ignored and has been significatly defunded which hurts to see, and the surrounding areas of the Emory bubble are corporatized machine parts. There is plenty of insular thoughts and self segregation. While there are some very intelligent students at this school, very few want to reach their intellectual limits and expand themselves internally for the benefit of the world or themselves. The safe spaces they create are for the comfort of their conforming lifestyles, upper-middle class (or beyond) psyches, and disturbingly self-righteous (and mostly unenlightened ideals) to be protected and proliferated.

I started Emory as a Pre-Med student, certain of maintain my major throughout my undergraduate years. The course work here is very challenging, but there are plenty of resources available to help you succeed. Aside from academics, Emory has the most amazing staff of professors, advisors, and others that genuinely care about the students. They take into considerations such as disabilities, study time, and also try their best to make sure you have time to spend enriching the community, rather than drilling you with coursework. Speaking of community enrichment, there are HUNDREDS of groups on campus to participate in including various styles of dancing, singing, debate clubs, study groups, volunteer services, and religious affiliated groups. Oh, and I almost left out the best part.. THE FOOD IS FANTASTIC. There are dozens of places to eat on campus, so you will never be a "starving college student." All in all, Emory is the best place to go for diversity, campus involvement, and academics. If you get chosen to attend, you are very lucky, and I assure you that these four years here will be the best years of your life!

Emory University is an interesting experience. It has multiple campuses, the Main campus and the Oxford campus. I live on the Oxford campus, which is composed of only Sophomores and Freshmen. Due to the fresh-out-high-school-ness of the students, the community itself can feel a little high school-y at times, but despite that, it has many quirks that make it worthwhile. The campus worships an all-knowing skeleton named Dooley who chooses students to act as his speakers and body guards when he appears on campus. There is a special bond and a huge support system among all the students when they're studying, especially those that are taking chemistry or pulling allnighters. We all effectively ruin our own lives over the weekend, but somehow manage to repair the damage as if nothing happened Monday morning without injuring our GPAs. Overall, despite the general cliquey-ness of the school and the other cons that it holds (as not even Emory University is perfect), there is nowhere else I would rather be to continue my education. The sense of fraternity among students as we all deal with the obstacles in life is bigger than anywhere I have ever been. If you want a supportive campus where the people actually appear to care about you, whether you're close friends or simply see each other in the dining hall sometimes, I highly recommend Emory University's Oxford campus.

Nirali

Emory provided a challenging but formative college experience. While some of the courses and professors were lacking, I felt like I got a comprehensive education that gave me the offerings I was looking for. The extracurriculars were the best part of the experience.

Swetha

I am only currently a freshman at Emory, however, I have loved my experience thus far and I excited for all that is to come. Coming to Emory has been the smartest decision I have made in my entire life and I can not wait to see what it will bring me to. Great faculty and great academics.

Michelle

There is so much to do and be involved in; however, you usually need to learn about these opportunities by engaging with other people. Go to office hours, go to academic advising even if you don't have any specific problems, and as always make good friends.

Brianna

Very Nice campus. I loved the atmosphere

dashaonna

i would love to attend there overall the school is high mataim but that what I look for in a school that best for me. I will go beyond the accumate to do what I have to.

Sam

The best way to feel at home at Emory is to get involved on campus. There are so many opportunities to take leadership roles here. Emory is definitely not a party school and the on campus parties can get dull after your freshman year, but Atlanta is a really cool city to explore. A lot of upperclassmen will throw their own parties which is what becomes the main social scene as you get older. Academics are rigorous but doable if you have good time management skills.

Pareena

Emory University is a place where students are challenged and unafraid to follow their dreams. No matter what a student is studying at Emory, they are learning to learn. Students are encouraged to study all trades of life and knowledge. With the support of Emory staff and professors, there is no goal that cannot be achieved.

Olusoji

Emory is one of the best universities I have ever heard of to the point that I dream and have dreamed of going there for years. It has a beautiful campus, especially because of its architecture. Everything is walking distance, which is great, but it is still a pretty big campus. It has a nice environment because it is close to Atlanta, but it is not directly in the city, so I am not so overwhelmed by city life while still being accessible to that lifestyle if I chose. Emory Village is an area right outside to the campus with lots of places to eat and a handy CVS that is beneficial to all students, too. And if we are looking at the college for what it provides to students academically, the school’s performance, especially in medicine and law outshines many other colleges. The staff and administration put a lot of time and effort into giving the best opportunities to its students and it shows, but while they highlight education, it is remarkable that they still successfully show their support in art and athletics. Student life is one of the most important aspects to colleges, and Emory covers that, too. Overall, Emory is an impressive school from its setting to its skills, and I would love to attend this college.

Michelle

Emory is great, but if you want a social scene definitely join greek life. Pretty much 30% of all of Emory is involved in greek life, and they send you your weekend plans on a platter every week. You could definitely find your own crowd without greek life, but damn do they make it hard. The academics and opportunities, however, are unmatched. You'll love living here because this school has an insane amount of money. Freshman dorms and some sophomore dorms have sinks inside, which makes it super convenient and spacious inside of the dorms. It feels like you're living in your own apartment in a way, because nobody makes a lot of noise outside of their dorms. The campus is absolutely beautiful. There's gorgeous marble buildings, a giant quad, and the architecture is just really thoroughly though out. It's not too big, not too small and everything is within reach in terms of distance. The food is eh. As a freshman, you're going to have to eat at the cafeteria, which we call "DUC". The food there is actually unbearable sometimes and the amount of dry chicken they can stuff in that one facility is record-breaking. Cox Hall, however, has decent food that you can buy from different merchants. Overall, Emory has a really good set-up for career building, resume help, schedule advisory, and extracurriculars. You can pretty much have any type of college experience you want at this school - whatever you choose. The academic competition is strong, too, so be proactive about getting a spot in the library and working hard in classes. Emory's classes are difficult most of the time, so you have to put in the work if you want to succeed.

Shelby

While I am only a Freshman at the Oxford College campus, I absolutely love Emory. I have been to the main campus a few times, and each time my impression has only gotten better. As for the Oxford Campus, I don't know of any school with a larger sense of community. It is incredibly small, meaning that you really get to know your professors and there are really small classes (I had one with only 6 students). Professors are here to teach and build relationships with students, not just to do research like at the Atlanta campus. For those that don't know, the Oxford campus is for Freshman and Sophomores only. Once you graduate with your Associate Degree, you transition to the main campus. This means that professors are focused on their undergrad students, not just those pursuing a major in their field. Also, an overwhelming amount of leadership positions are available to you as soon as you come to campus. There is a strong sense of community on campus, with plenty to do if you want to get involved. However, the Covington area surrounding Oxford is wanting. Generally, people drive or take the shuttle to Atlanta if they want to go out. I personally like this, but I know many people feel isolated. Also, most people don't really show up for club activities. Overall, I absolutely love my campus. It is beautiful and full of welcoming people. I feel like people here sympathize with common struggles and really try to help one another, rather than just outcompete you.

Tiera

Good school with quite a reputation. If you're not doing medicine based studies, this may not be the best fit. Most classes for upperclassmen are medical: I will have to complete many semesters without any arts courses. Don't be disheartened though! The city of Atlanta is beautiful and the campus is gorgeous. You could find your niche here.

Emory University is amazing! I can't wait to come back in the fall. Professors are amazing. Student activities are so numerous and diverse. The food options are awesome. Especially in the dining hall, there are options from vegans to vegetarians and everything in between. The athletics are amazing too.

Felipe

Emory is not only intellectually diverse but also culturally diverse. The amount of new people and new things you can discover amazes you every semester. The student body consists of a bunch of easy-going, relaxed individuals always willing to lend a helping hand.

Marshall

Going to Emory is definitely a life changing experience. You have access to amazing resources, people, and opportunities as a student here. Academics are obviously top notch, the professors are experts in their field and most of them are conducting research. One thing to note is that while Emory advertises itself as a liberal arts college, the reality is that many students aren't interested in getting a well rounded education and care mostly about their pre-professional paths (premed or business). The social life is great, there are all sorts of people and anyone can find a social circle that suits them. Students here are driven and everyone is involved in a multitude of clubs and activities but even though we're hard workers, we still like to party! I highly recommend Emory! Both the campus and Atlanta itself are amazing environments to live and learn in!

Patrycja

Emory is a very accepting place with plenty academic opportunities and extracurricular activities. All the classes are engaging and exciting with a plethora of a variety. The professors are all very passionate and most are always available to chat about more than just school. The overall atmosphere is very warm and almost everyone is willing to strike up a conversation about any topic. The facilities are wonderful and are usually open all week for student use. In regards to the party scene, there are occasional parties, but Emory isn't a huge party school with a limited popularity of sororities and fraternities although when the time comes we do know how to have a good time. In general, I believe that anyone can find the right crowd at Emory and truly develop their passion whatever it might be.

Nicholette

I am thoroughly enjoying my time at Emory University. It excels in academics and is rigorous. Intro courses are large lectures but once you get into the higher level courses, class sizes tend to drop below 30 students. The professors make themselves very accessible; if you can't make it to their office hours, they are more than happy to schedule a time to meet. They offer a wide array of courses and subjects, but what bothers me is that some are only offered in the fall or in the spring semester, not both, which I think can be a waste of time for students still deciding what major to pursue. Emory is also heavily involved in medicine, and a large proportion of students come in as pre-med. While Emory is still engaged in the arts, science plays a huge role on campus. Emory is a Division III sports school, and sports is not a very big deal on campus. We also do not have a football team, but between studying, all the events happening on campus, and the other sports teams, you won't really miss it unless you're a huge football fan. Greek life does not have a very large presence on campus but is still significant with about 25% of students participating. Housing is convenient for freshman, but some can be far from classes, and one dorm haul is verrrry old with small rooms. Dining hall food is not superb but they do always have basic food to eat so that there is something for everyone (pizza, fries, burgers, gluten-free, vegan). Dessert, however, is almost always amazing. Finally, the libraries and study spaces are amazing. No matter what, you can always find a place to study, whether it be on the quiet floors in the library or the group areas in Cox. With all of that said, I love Emory University. The administration cares an incredible amount getting students involved in cultural activities, hobbies, plenty of free food and shirts, and physical and mental well-being. As a bonus of being such a healthcare-involved institution with a hospital in the center of campus, student health services and the Emory clinic are amazing. They know how stressful exams can be and always make sure that students have resources to de-stress, including dog petting!!

Melease

In general, I love this school. I do not come from a well off family, although that is the traditional stigma about Emory. The students care about everything with their whole hearts: hobbies, politics, on campus events, social life, and academics. Sometimes this may result in bragging or fighting to put everything on resumes, but at the end of the day campus is inspirational. We are largely international, broadening our culture. You can walk down a street on campus and run into well know professors that truly care, students who have already achieved great things, and activists. If there is one large set back about Emory is the stereotype of money. Outsiders believe we are all rich liberals, faculty have typically come from privileged backgrounds, and the price of the school speaks for itself at about $60k a year. But most students try to fight this idea and we all grow together, because that is not true for everyone. Personally I attend the Oxford campus, freshman and sophomores only, and I do not enjoy my time there. This small campus feels like high school, where students join every club just to build resumes rather than experience, the dining hall is below expectations, and you are in the middle of a little southern town with a small population. To make the best of this I spend more time at Emory's main campus in Atlanta and focus on my small-class studies. One of Oxfords positive qualities is care and special relationships you bond with professors in your first two years of college, and experience like no other. This improves our academics, and we typically succeed more than the Atlanta students. Overall I love Emory, and make the best out of the academic life of the smaller Oxford campus

Maya

Emory has always been my dream school. It simply has everything that a student would want: state-of-the-art academic facilities, comfortable residence halls, a variety of great food, access to Atlanta, and faculty that genuinely cares about the success of their students. We may not have a football team, but Emory has plenty of other things that inspire school spirit!

I specifically attend Emory University's Oxford College and I absolutely adore it. The students and staff work together to create a thriving academic community passionate about a broad range of topics. People are supportive and make you feel welcome. The facilities are beautiful and the food is not bad either.

Nancy

it more of a distraction to me being on a big major city, it would be kinda hard not to go out and enjoy yourself a little. I did like the class sizes and the campus was such a beauty. I still plan on attending it because the major is wish to exceed it is well known in the school environment so I could always get extra help from others.

Alyssa

MY OVERALL OPINION ON EMORY UNIVERSITY IS THAT ITS A VERY PROMISING SCHOOL TO ENTER IN THE FALL SEMESTER. FOR WHAT I'VE SEEN, MY FUTURE EDUCATION COULD SHINE THERE. EMORY HOLDS SOMETHING THAT OTHERS MAY WANT, WHICH IS A BRIGHT LIGHT WITHIN THEIR FUTURE CAREERS.

Nicolas

Emory University boasts a diverse student population, with a large portion being international students, which is the thing I like the most about being enrolled here. I have met people from all over the U.S. and all over the globe who share a love of learning and who know how to have fun as well. The small class sizes allows professors to know me by name almost immediately, which helps introverts like me feel comfortable participating in class discussions. Choosing Emory was one of the best decisions of my life so far!

Sohil

It is a wonderful place for students to learn and grow! The undergraduate experience is unique to all and that is what makes Emory special. While the sports scene and school pride may not be large, there is still the sense of an intellectual community.

Catherine

I believe Emory does a really good job at ensuring that their students are at their happiest as they are studying on the campus. From my experiences, the atmosphere on campus is extremely welcoming; Southern hospitality is proven true at Emory. Moreover, the students seem to really enjoy their college lifestyle, what with Farmers Markets on Tuesdays and Wonderful Wednesdays and Dooley's Week. Not only are their academics and opportunities amazing, but their student life and attention to students are impeccable as well.

Riley

Emory University is a great atmosphere to expand your horizons at. Being in the heart of Atlanta, yet at the same time separate from all the hustle and bustle of city life, gives students the opportunity to focus and study while also having the chance to go out and have fun.

Janany

I absolutely love Emory. As a first year, it is everything I imagined it would be and has surprised me with the level of encouragement that the professors and students have for the school. I haven't met someone who has not had a good experience with our school. School spirit is huge even though we aren't great at sports, we take great pride in our campus and in our community. People are approachable, helpful and truly fun to be around.

Andrew

It's a pretty darn good school. Some may or may not call it pretentious. Some may or may not call me pretentious (hey maybe I am). But it's a beautiful campus, the people are nice, it's in the city so there's lots to do, and it strives for the upmost best. The most I could ever want.

Diana

Its a fantastic school academically and once you find your niche, you are golden. Its important to know what you want out of Emory because it has so much to offer that it is easy to get caught up and get lost in all of the options. One problem that I have sometimes is staying focused. However, there are resources and facilities available to the students in order to help ensure everyone's success. The class sizes are small and the professors are amazing yet challenging at the same time.

Kevin

Oxford College of Emory University is definitely worth it. There's a new science building, library, dining hall, and the multiple buildings are renovated. For the past four years, Senior graduates at the atlanta campus have been oxford graduates. The only con is that it's far from Atlanta City. Since Oxford College is only for freshman and sophomore, it's a lot easier to get leadership and research opportunity at Oxford College.

Spencer

Emory University is a very interesting place, but that is not a bad thing. Essentially, whoever you are, you'll find some group of people to relate to. The general composition is of very hardcore studiers, due to the heavy pre-med focus of the school, but there are also tons of clubs and other opportunities to become involved with.

Jane

The most frustrating thing at Emory is the ADSR office. I was diagnosed with a chronic disability in High School, and I have found that it is very hard to access ADSR. Each person you talk to leads you to someone else, and I end up spending hours trying to solve a very simple problem. I'm not sure if it's related to the nature of my disability, but I find that administrators are often unwilling to help me live like a normal student, and unwilling to fight for me as an Emory student. Every accommodation that I need I have to actively fight for, with multiple phone calls and lengthy explanations in order to get what I need. I hope that someone from administration sees this comment and looks into it, because I feel like ADSR is supposed to be there for my time in college to be like any other student, but they are making it much harder.

Kevin

I love it at Emory University, the only problem is the tuition. People are very well educated and are some of the nicest people you'll ever meet. Professors are always available and are very helpful. There are many opportunities for help at every turn such as free tutoring, counseling, etc. Highly recommend.

Sumin

As a freshman here at Emory College, I felt very welcomed when I first arrived. Honestly, Emory University was not my first choice when deciding on a college, but I have found Emory very home and comfortable. I enjoy my academical and social life here and as cliche as it sounds, I am pretty confident everyone will find where they belong. I haven't met a single person who doesn't like it here. You will love it.

Sereena

Emory is a great place to be! If you're looking for a worthwhile experience that challenges you in many ways, it's the place to be. I've grown academically, socially, and emotionally and I've made lifelong friends that I know will be there for me throughout all of life's big moments. If you're looking for a 24/7 party school, Emory isn't for you. Academics is highly regarded, but weekends are for having a good time.

Weibo

Overall a pretty good school. There is a lot to do around Decatur. Academics are pretty solid. I've made a lot of meaningful connections with professors and peers. I would add that although there are a lot of resources at Emory, you definitely have to look for these resources on your own.

Prudence

The vast diversity of the student population creates an environment that teaches the students and faculty how to be accepting. Emory does not set out to make life difficult but to provide all its students with the best opportunity to properly advance their academic​ careers.

Courtney

I was fortunate to attend Emory University. It is considered an elite university. The connections I made at Emory as well as its perception in the community has opened many doors for me professionally. I also made close friendships during my time at Emory that continue to this day. My only criticism is that compared to my husband's alma mater, the professors at Emory do not reach out to students and forge student relationships to the degree present at other colleges.

Santia

When I first visited Emory University, I fell in love. The campus "felt right." I remember telling myself "this is where I want to be." The buildings were nice. The people there were extremely. On top of that, Atlanta weather was really amazing. Can't wait to be a student here!