Emporia State University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Emporia State University

Michelle

I grew up in Emporia and I didn't really think about the greatness of living in a college town until I applied for college. It very close to my parents which many college students need that as a requirement. Since I grew up here I already know the town. It is great!!!!

Nour Aldin

I think that as a small university, Emporia State University is a great facility that tends to make a great learning environment for its students. Life at Emporia State is pretty simple, fun, and full of activities. People at Emporia State are very friendly and kind and helpful. It's all just one big happy community!

Allen

I believe that Emporia State University as a really good college to attend for a four-year degree. It is not too expensive and there are more positives than negatives. It is a relatively diverse school where people of all different ethnicities are about to get an education. There are many international students who come here to receive an education and learn about how different this school is from their home country. Living on campus is not bad, but the cafeteria is commonly known to be bad and people try to avoid eating specific foods in order to avoid food poisoning. Campus police and security are always around to make sure that students are safe, and all students get the campus police's hotline in case they ever feel in danger or need the police for anything. The teachers are normally good teachers and they ensure that students are receiving a proper education. There are multiple types of fraternities and sororities available to students, along with many clubs and organizations that students can join. Campus involvement is very important at Emporia State University. The campus also makes sure that there are plenty of study areas so students have the proper environment to study for classes.

Milagros

Emporia state university is a great university. Even tho i have been annoyed with the faculty it is an amazing place. the class size is perfect to where it is not huge. everyone is friendly and make friends so easily. There are a couple of professors that are amazing while there are some that will stop trying to help you after a while even though you definitely need the help.

Teagan

My first year at Emporia was a roller coaster. It had its ups, and downs but overall it was not what I expected. The first few weeks were full of excitement and trying new things, I loved it! I got very involved in my classwork, which led me to miss out on a few Thursday nights out. Thursday nights are what students of ESU lived for. Lets just say...there were not many students in class on Fridays. Sports at ESU are free to attend and I would advise everyone to take advantage of that! Overall, ESU was a good place to attend my Freshman year and learn what college is all about. The small class sizes helped so much and my grades were much better than in high school. Stingers Up!

Justice

Welcome to Emporia State University! When you turn into campus, off to your right is Roosevelt Hall. It is where you will find your English majors who are learning how to explain the origin of a word. If you look off to your left, you. will see a beautiful array of tress that make a great scenery for pictures in the fall. Beyond that scene, you will see the William Allen White Library, named after a great president who resided in Emporia. It has extensive hours and even a floor just for those in the Honors College. Keep driving and you will see Beach Hall. You will find your music majors there, making beautiful music everyday. Across from Beach is King Hall. You will find your theatre majors there that put on great productions every semester. Then there is PlumbHall, that's has some government classes, financial aid, scholarship office, and stairs that leave you out of breath no matter how fit. Then there is beautiful Memorial Union where your sometimes good cafeteria food is, study areas, Starbucks, and an amazing person greeting you at the welcome center. Keep going and there is Cremer, Breukelman, Cram, and Science Hall which luckily are all intertwined. Then there is Visser Hall, which is mostly for those in the Teacher's College and HPER for those in Health Promotions. But Emporia is not just education, we are a family. A family connected through struggles, laughs, breakdowns, and smile. A family that welcomes you to any club and pushes you to do the last push up at the gym on campus. A family that will never let you down and constantly lift you up. There is no university I would rather be at. Stingers up!

Kylee

Choosing to attend Emporia State University was a great decision. There are many different organizations and opportunities for students to get involved with. It is not just an athletic school or just an arts school, but both. All of the faculty and professors I have encountered have been more than helpful and willing to go out of their way to help students, which is great!

Isabelle

I enjoy Emporia state a lot, and I believe that it's the perfect place for me. The class sizes are manageable, the faculty are amazing, and the town is beautiful. The campus feels big, but you can make your way across it in ten minutes, so it's still small enough to be accessible. The student dining plan could be greatly improved, and the on-campus housing is nice. I enjoy the floor communities a lot. Overall, Emporia State is a very great school, and I highly recommend it to others.

Allyson

Emporia State University is a great place to be. Everyone on campus is so nice and there is constantly people encouraging involvement -- including professors. The student government keeps students updated frequently on all the events happening on campus. Campus living is not the best, but for a university this size, it has a lot of promise. The food that is contracted with our university is very bad but there are many options to choose from that are around campus or close in proximity to it. The campus itself is absolutely breathtakingly beautiful. The landscape is always so pretty and full of school spirit. Every recognized sport on campus is highly supported by students and the community. Renovations are always happening to keep our campus looking amazing. The student body here at Emporia State is very inclusive and it is very rare that students are or feel left out. There are abundant opportunities for involvement and I would not want to attend college anywhere else!

Abigail

Beautiful campus. Easy to get involved. Lots of opportunities with clubs and organizations. Feel safe enough to walk between buildings at night on my own. Teachers are amazing and willing to help if you need it. Events are fun and usually free or cheap for students. Commercial Street has a array of shops and is a great place to walk down on the weekend. Anything you need might be down Industrial (that's where the Walmart is). The environment on campus is great. People are always willing to help and are overall friendly. The food could be a bit better honestly. The Hornets Nest is okay, but the Hornet Express is a lot better and is realitively cheap, especially with the money we get with the meal plan. Buzzcotti is popular as well, pretty much a Starbucks within the Memorial Union. The football games are fun to attend. The marching band is excellent and a great way to meet people and be active in the fall semester. I recommend it for incoming freshmen who are looking to meet new people, perhaps outside their normal group.

shelby

I really like attending ESU. The class size is perfect for me and the professors and staff are invested in the students and the community. Despite the manageable size, there are plenty of activities to get involved in and the student body is caring and involved in the University and the local city.

Jamie

ESU is a fantastic school and Emporia is the perfect college town. The class sizes are fantastic, even for the general education courses and the professors truly care about the students, as long as the student put forth an effort in class. And the campus squirrels are truly the best as well.

Abigail

Emporia State University is not for everyone, but overall it is a good school. However, no school is perfect. ESU recently cut back on the theater, creative writing, and performing arts budget, so we will see how that affects the morale of students where the entertainment available on campus for the school is already limited. Not that anyone has time for entertainment anyway, the upper-level classes are demanding and thought-provoking, but their is more to be desired from the online classes.

Kara

Emporia State is a wonderful school. I could always talk to my professors if I had a question. There are so many friendly people on campus. It's like a huge family. I have made life-long friends here. I am so grateful of the experience I had while attending Emporia State University.

Jeremiah

It's a wonderful school. If you live on campus, you won't need a vehicle unless you want to head to the Walmart, the mall, or someplace else in town that's a bit off. However there are plenty of locations in and around campus to go to for whatever you need. The campus itself is well-kept as well.

Guy

I honestly love the school so much, from the day I stepped on campus and went on my tour I already knew this was going to be my home. It not that small but it is small enough to where you can get to know a lot of people quickly and build different relationships around the town and such.

Citlalli

Emporia State has a lot of ethnicity and it allows me to express myself. Their music programs are are amazing and I plan to join. I will be living at home and not on campus so i do not really know what "dorm life" is like. The campus itself is very pretty. There is no other place I would rather go than Emporia State University

Jacqeline

I love the school. In the beginning I only attended Emporia State because of the teachers college, but after a semester I've realized that the small class sizes and the professors are amazing. The small campus is a bonus because it does not take long to get from one end of the campus to the next. It's really easy to make friends as well because you usually have all of your major classes with the same group of people.

Kylie

It is absolutely the best school! The campus is super clean and everyone is so friendly. The whole community is all about Hornet Nation! Everything about the college makes it feel like home and I can not wait to go there and be apart of it. Definitely recommend this school to everyone!

Meghan

ESU was the best choice I made. I have built life-long relationships with the professors I had, even the dean of the Education Department. If you are looking into Education at all, ESU is the place for you. Yes, the program is rigorous, but I feel 100% ready to step into my own classroom in the Fall. All of my professors were knowledgeable, relate-able, accessible, and reliable. The dorm I stayed in was newly remodeled, the RA was awesome and I met life-long friends there. There is plenty of off-campus housing close to campus, and on the opposite side of town. If you are like me and have to work through school, there are plenty of businesses who are more than willing to work with your schedule. I could not have picked a better school to attend for the past 4 years, and even for the next 2-3 more for graduate school!

Madison

It has a great, friendly atmosphere. Faculty is always eager to help the students succeed in and out of school. There is a massive amount of student organizations and everyone is always welcome to get involved. It is the best choice I have ever made.

Tevin

Needs to be better working with students. A student should feel comfortable talking to financial aid. Financial Aid at Emporia, makes it seem like there are all of these opportunities available . In reality there are not that many options a student can qualify for. It is almost like false advertisement. Emporia State needs to understand that not every student here is a trust fund student. Not all of us come from a dynasty or legacy. Some of us are first generation college students. Which means we are more than likely paying for tuition and fees on our own. This college has to be better. A student who comes from nothing will work for something. If you don’t come from a family that had money it makes you work even harder. I don’t like the fact that they turn away students who are broke. Getting a loan accepted or a scholarship should be based off character. A students character should be the deciding factor.

It is a nice school with many things to offer students. Sadly, the arts are underfunded. But there are ways for non-music and non-theatre members to still perform. Housing is convenient, but the on campus dining options are horrendous. The cooking is never consistent, and there were many times where I would end up ordering pizza with friends.

Linsey

It is an excellent school to attend if you want to better yourself and prepare yourself for a career. There are many people to go to for help, including professors, the wellness center, the career center, and resident assistants in the dorms. There are also many organizations to get involved in.

The classes are great and have a good amount of students. The cafeteria food is really great. There is always a variety every day. There are plenty of activities on campus to do. There are activities in the residence halls. There is also a good amount of sports to watch on campus.

Alicia

Fantastic school. Great teachers, great staff, great students. There are always extracurricular activities going on around campus, including guest speakers such as Holocaust survivor Inge Auerbacher, which is very impressive. The friendly atmosphere is one of the best features.

Sarajo

I absolutely love Emporia State. I mainly chose ESU for their education program; they are one of the best in the nation. ESU is also perfect for me. I come from a small town and Emporia wasn't too much of a shock to me. While the campus food isn't always the best, there's always other options.

James

Emporia State has a very diverse campus population with people from all over the world and walks of life. The classes are quite small and most of the professors I have had are knowledgeable about their field. However, with very expensive housing for freshman students that you have to live in your first year, along with a horrible campus cafeteria that all students living on campus must have a meal plan with, your freshman year is going to be a bit bumpy.

Kirsten

I have enjoyed my time at Emporia State University. There are plenty of on campus activities and it feels like a tight-knit community. It may be a small town but we know how to get creative and find fun things to do. We hold a lot of things close to our hearts and the campus is very politically active. We might not be everyone's first choice for a college but the people here know they made the right decision by attending ESU. Stingers Up!

Emporia State University is well known as being a "teacher's school" and while this may be the case, it also is home to many other programs such as it's business and arts programs that are nationally recognized for their excellence. The professors all really seem to care about you and they make an effort to help you in their courses. Students rarely seem upset by anything that occurs on or around campus and they all seem very happy to be attending ESU. I've had a number of very stimulating conversations with other students and I feel as if the school does an excellent job of including everyone. I made the choice to transfer to Emporia State University from a community college and I feel like it's one of the best choices that I've ever made.

Sidney

Emporia State gives students opportunities to grow as learning is hands on. There are many things to get involved in on and off campus. The community is wonderful and the campus is a good size, which makes Emporia State feel like a home away from home.

Marissa

The best aspect of learning at Emporia State University is the sheer amount of willingness. The overpowering nature of it, and its ability to transform lives. What is this "willingness" you ask? This "willingness" is ever present, in teachers, students, community business owners, community professionals, children, and even pets too. It is this willingness that makes ESU such a great school. People want to give you their time, their knowledge, and ultimately, their acceptance. What is life without acceptance, love, and those who could make you a better person? Emporia State University is a school with the power to change you, with the silent nature of its willingness.

I finally found my home. Emporia is a wonderful college. Everyone is amazing, teachers, students and all faculty are always there for support. I always dreams of finding my home and with Emporia I found it. I wouldnt change anything about Emporia State Universty.

Kristian

My overall opinion of Emporia State University is that it is very diverse on campus, there are plenty of different cultures to interact and get involved with. There is a lot of activities and programs going throughout week to make sure if your bored there is fun stuff to do on campus and sometimes off campus in Emporia. Academically it is a perfect fit for me personally I want to go into Elementary Education and my school is actually known for making great Elementary Educators. I visited this school when I was in the 10th grade and really liked it because it had a home feel to me and my sister actually received a scholarship from them so now we attend the same school together! Basically all the pieces I was looking for were found right where in wanted to be, which is at Emporia State University.

Emporia is a lovely community that provides plenty of opportunities for students to thrive well. We are able to support all the departments and branch out ourselves. I enjoy the quality of the scenery too.

Haley

Emporia State is a great place to go to school. As a disabled student, they are very accommodating and small enough to get around. The environment is welcoming and there are lots of ways to get involved. I love the town and there is a lot of places to walk and eat. They also have amazing classes and teachers. I would highly recommend attending this school if you are looking for a community environment.

Mason

It's a great school with a beautiful campus. Class sizes are perfectly sized to where a professor will know your name and can reach out to you if need be. There are plenty of little shops downtown from the college and everyone is super nice and willing to help one another out. The college life is like a little town.

Holly

I love Emporia, everyone is really friendly and the professors are always available and ready to help. The environment is very nice and I love all of the people I have met so far and am super excited to run cross country and indoor and outdoor track for them. The coaches are great! They are all about who you are as a person as much as they are about your athletic ability. They genuinely care about you! There are also so many ways to get involved through clubs, fraternities, and sororities and more. There is also a wide range of on-campus job opportunities and even when working you still get time to study and they are really flexible with your schedule! The realize that you are a student first and foremost! Although the outside of the buildings are a little older it is kept up nicely and gives the campus a sort of charm that I love! The town is also very cute and has plenty of places to eat and have fun! There is even an amazing choclate shop that I just can't stop going to!!!

I think Emporia States Campus is amazing. You can walk across campus from corner to corner in under 10 minutes. With our campus being so walk able you can sleep later into the morning and still get to class on time., this applies for both on campus living and off campus living. Emporia is a small College town so most of the entertainment is with in walking distance of campus or under a 5-minute drive. Since Emporia State University is such a small college my largest class is 75 student and gets as small as 15. The professors are super nice and outgoing when I come to helping a student with a problem. Last semester I need a laptop in class but didn’t have the right accommodation letter and they helped me fix it so that I could have my laptop in my classes. The professors also know you by your name not by a number. And lastly with Emporia being a small campus you always know someone on campus. For the size of Emporia State University, you wouldn’t expect them to constantly have activities going on, but they do there is never a dull moment at ESU. Last semester we had a concert on the lawn and then a party down main street the next day. The local Main Street is right across from campus and is a hub for students looking for something to do and most of the shops and restaurants have student discounts which is nice when you are living on a college budget. Main street also goes all out on game days no matter the sport with special signage and meal deals.

Cattie

I really enjoyed visiting Emporia State, my favorite part was the dorm tours. I loved that there was free laundry, which I think will be extremely nice. I loved the atmosphere of the school, everyone seemed cheerful and happy to help if you need assistance. I can't wait to go there next year!

Chelsea

ESU is a friendly, hometown college that appeals to many diverse cultures. The campus is small and cozy, but not crowded. It is a public university with over 200 academic programs. The Teacher's College is nationally recognized and works closely with surrounding schools. The town is very supportive of Corky and their local Hornets!

Jaymee

It’s a great school to attend

Brenna

I love ESU so much! It is such a great school all around but especially if you’re an education major it is the school for you. The amount of knowledge I have learned from my professors in the education profession is crazy. I am so thankful that I chose this school and that they choose me to be in this school.