Endicott College

« See more reviews of Endicott College

Senior Kaleigh, First, you need to relax about making the transition from high school to college; it isn't as bad as you think. Actually, it iss a lot like the transition from middle school to high school; you will experience an academic and social transition. However, unlike the middle to high school transition, you will experience a living transition as well. Some advice that I can give you for dealing with the academic transition is to stay organized. The more organized and focused youare, the easier this transition will seem. I also suggest using a planner/agenda; it helps a lot, trust me. As for the social transition, I won't lie to you, it is quite difficult to leave behind your old friends, but I can promise you that you will meet new people and develop other friendships. The living situation transition is difficult, but if you go into it with an open mind and are understanding and cooperative, you will be fine. Overall, if you go into college with a positive attitude, you will feel a sense of personal success and fulfillment once you have overcome these transitions. You will learn something from each one. College Kaleigh

As a junior at Endicott College, I have been able to experience all of the aspects of college that students look to experience. I have taken advantage of the academic opportunities offered at my college, while also responsibly enjoying the social environment. I fully believe that there is a college or university for everyone that can satisfy their personal expectations. From my own experience, I have learned that while expensive tuitions can often be the determining factor, I believe that the experience and academic fulfillment is much greater than any price. Both students and parents should consider ever aspect of the schools they are looking at, including location, tution, size, and academics, however, the overall experience and opportunity that a student takes away from that school should be a primary factor. This is the environment a student will be at for two to four years. In addition, I would strongly recommend attending a college that requires students to fulfill an intership program. At Endicott College, three internships are required in order to graduate, and I know that partaking in various internships related to my major has truly been one of the most rewarding opportunities I have taken away from Endicott.

"Amelia, Don't Panic!" The thought of applying to college and preparing to leave behind the comfort of high school and home can be a daunting experience. Being a home-body myself, the thought of merely leaving behind my mom and dad to pursue my dreams as a first-generation college student was frightening. I did not know that I would be stepping into the most unforgettable, yet challenging page in the newest chapter of my life. If I could return to senior year, I would begin by telling myself that stress was going to become a newly profound part of life and that money would seem a lot more precious in a very short amount of time. Despite these "not-so-positive" pieces of advice, I would tell myself that making the transition to college is one of the most liberating experiences one can have. Regardless of the stress-beckoning changes, college life has the inanimate power to whole-heartedly better a person, academically and socially. I would tell myself that becoming involved may seem like a challenge but is worth the time and effort. Most importantly, I would prepare myself for the exciting academic endeavors ahead.

Finding the right college is one of the most important tasks that you will ever encounter - not to stress you out. Uncertain, however, is this time - during which it is easy to make rash and unadvisable decisions. With this in mind, it must be known that you must decide on the college you would actually like to attend - not the one that "makes the most sense." There are loans to be granted and scholarships to be won. Utilize these resources to the best of your ability and the chances of being able to enroll in your college of choice will be substantially higher, regardless of the economic state. To make the most of your college experience, you must understand that knowledge is power and you are there to learn. Utilize class time and one-on-one time with professors and you will thank yourself down the road. No matter the major, networking is a key element to your success. The more people you know, the more opportunities you will have in the future. Be socially responsible, that is, donate; volunteer; recycle; reach out to someone in need. Colleges have resources to facilitate these activities. And yes, party - college is short.

When trying to find the right college, it is important to first look at the academics of the school, but then look beyond them. A student shouldn't solely focus on the school's academic statistics to make their decision. Instead, college bound students should aim to find a school that provides them with the education they need and a school that they feel happy and comfortable in. The student defines how much they will get out of the college they attend. If the student is in a place that he or she feels comfortable in and enjoys, the student will get more out of the college. Knowlege gained in college should also extend beyond text books and class lectures into actual life experiences. When making the most out of a college experience, it is essential for a student to try new things and surround his or herself with new types of people. Although it is important to be comfortable at college, it is also important for students to get themselves out of their comfort zones occasionally to experience new people and activities. College students should be able to learn in and outside of classrooms, becoming a well rounded person.

While in high school, I did not realize how important choosing the right school would be; luckily, I chose the perfect school. However, I did not look at schools as much as I should have. With this gained knowledge, I would highly suggest parents to start early; it is never too early to start looking at schools. Students should visit schools to gain a sense of the social life, campus, and whether the school conforms to their academic needs (the major being present in the college's academia). I would also suggest that a student should feel comfortable. Parents should seek to their child's needs and not their wants. In the end, the student is the one attending the school. Being happy and content with the institution is an essential part to enjoying the experience. Once the acceptance letters are finalized, I would encourage students to become involved. It's quite fun creating a whole new world and I can't emphasize enough about becoming involved. Join a sport. Join the choir. Make a name for yourself at a new place. Going to college is similar to starting your life in a blank book. The student is the author.

I volunteer to give campus tours and I am confronted with this often. The best advice about finding the right college is to do your research, push yourself and to take every opportunity that comes your way. One must believe in his or herself and that the student should be involved in the process. My parents pressured me to attend a different college but I had done my research, visited the college and explored opportunities that were available and I was sure that this is where I would most succeed. I am more confident in myself and tried new things starting freshmen year. I had never been in a boat and tried out for the sailing team. I made the team and many friends. I have also been an International Peer Mentor and Orientation Leader. I encourage students to joined many clubs and explore their interests. I have joined many clubs; such as a student run AIGA Magazine called EnSight, the Intercultural club amongst many more. Academically I have challenged myself and was selected to be a member of the Honors Program. You learn a lot about yourself when you push yourself and are fearless in venturing into the unknown.

It?s your senior year of high school and you?re wondering where your life is headed, if you will make it to graduation, if you will end up working for a law firm or a hospital or instead with a low paying job, still trying to repay your student loans? These are a minute amount of the terrifying questions that many high school students are faced with and must overcome to make positive decisions. There are many aspects that the student and parents must consider when researching colleges including, class size, dorm life, costs, tutoring, programs, alumni, and whether the school will highlight the degree you are planning to obtain. With my current experience as a college student I feel the key to making the most out of college is being an active member of the college community. The way I see it, you can go through college strictly focused on taking tests, and handing in papers to receive an A or you can develop as an individual by being a part of activities and clubs within the college to gain life experiences and broaden your horizons as well as working hard and being dedicated to your overall education.

Trust your heart. This is the mantra that I followed when choosing the right college for my undergraduate studies. After visiting a number of colleges and universities as a senior in high school, it became clear to me that one college in particular was right for me. When you're searching for the right college/university, you need to remember that YOU are attending it. It doesn't matter if your sister/brother/friend/parent/etc loved it when he/she attended. What does matter, however, is that you will be spending the next few years at this institution. You deserve to attend a school that makes your heart sing. After you make the choice that satisfies your academic, social, and financial needs, be sure to get involved right away. You choose this school for a reason. Involve yourself in the aspects of the school that you were drawn to. This is your education, so why not make the most of it? The college experience can be an amazing few years, but it's up to you to design your educational and social path through it. You've decided to invest in your education, so remember to invest in yourself.

Dear Self, You will make new friends, not for the person you have always been, but because of the person you are becoming. Your friends from high school will also make new friends, but your memories of eachother will not fade. Being yourself is the most important thing in college, study what you want, join chorus, play intramurals, volunteer for charity events. Talk to everyone, this is the time to step out of your comforts and try new things. People will admire your courage to be you in a new setting. You don't need to drink to have fun, infact some of the best saturday nights you'll have will be sober and walking along the beach. Become an RA, its the best thing that could happen to you in college, the skills and experience are irreplaceable. The people are accepting and supportive, and they are all great people. Last, remember to have fun. You are only young once and if you lose that inner child you'll never forgive yourself. Laughter is the secret to making friends in college, everyone has worries and stress. Being around people who laugh helps people just as much as laughing themselves.