Erskine College Top Questions

Alexander

Hello self, Spread study out over time by scheduling assigments and study times. Do not volunteer for everything - join, at the most, three campus organizations.

Katelin

It's a big change, but you are strong and smart. All the people who say they believe in you aren't saying it to make you feel better or to get you to make a decision. They're saying it because they see what you can do, even if you don't see it yet. You are able. Don't be afraid to jump in with both feet. College is going to be such an adventure! Meeting new people, going new places, learning new things-- all of the new and amazing experiences you'll have will be worth the risk. Don't worry so much and don't spend so much time overthinking everything. Life doesn't always happen the way you want it to, but it all works out in the end. Once you make it, you'll realize that how you got here doesn't matter as much as the fact that you made it. No one can make you believe in yourself but you, and, no matter what anyone says about how hard it will be, you are worth believing in. And mom will always be one phone call away to remind you when you forget.

Abby

I have learned through my college experience what it means to be part of a community, to invest in relationships with other people and to be responsible for my words and actions. By taking part in group projects, events, and extracurricular activities, I have found out the value of each individual in a community. If each person does there part, things run smoothly; if someone slacks off, everyone else has to make up for that. Here I have come to value the people I meet, to take the time to really get to know them on more than just the most basic level. Having debates with acquaintainces about topics discussed in class has led to some of my closest friendships. One of the hardest lessons I have had to learn is how to balance my social life with maintaining my grades, (not ot mention getting enough sleep!) but I am slowly making progress. My college experience has been more than gaining knowledge; I am building a network of friends and acquaintances to last a lifetime and learning how to do more than just live in a society by being an active part of it.

Tracy

College has helped me realize that having friends that are always going to be there for you are priceless. If you don't focus on your schoolwork and study hard, then you will easily fail out of school. I have grown and matured so much while attending college, which has made me realize that certain things in life are just not worth getting stressed out over. I have learned from experience that the kind of people who spend time with in college will shape who are without you even noticing. This can be a good or bad thing. If you hang out with the wrong crowd, then you will be taken away from your beliefs that are most important to you. I learned that if you don't feel comfortable with a situation just leave and don't be afraid to have the unpopular opinion, especially if it means that you are standing your ground. Don't believe everything people say and don't be afraid to double check to see if what you heard is correct.

Christian

I cannot mention anything because i due to start college in January

Catherine

My name is Catherine Medina and I live in the Florida panhandle. It is so hard to get a job here; I’ve been job hunting for two years now and I’m still job hunting. I am little surprised a employer hasn’t tried to charge me harassment! There are so few jobs and the talk about the economy is not making it any easier to convince people I need a job. The only reason I get to go to college now is a scholarship and finical aid. I cannot afford to pay for my own college education. My mother works at a McDonalds to take care of three children, alone. Her income is not enough. She is in school now as well. I need another scholarship to stay in school. My present scholarship will end soon. All I want to do is teach. I’ve wanted to teach since I was in fourth grade. I want to make learning easier for people than it was for me and I need a little help.

My college experience means a lot to me. I am learning how to live on my own, while still being a safe distance to me family. Also, the college is teaching me important skills that I will use the rest of my life, such as leadership skills or how to have a stronger relationship with Christ. I have learned that even though I no longer have rules to follow, I must make up my own rules in order to keep myself on track and keep that shiny 4.0 everyone is after. I am a first generation college student, thus getting a quality education that will further me in my career goals is valued highly. I am glad I chose Erskine, it fits me just right. It's not too big, but yet not too small. It is far enough away from my parents that I can feel on my own, but close enough that I can go home whenever I need to. The campus is so pretty, and the people there are always friendly, even the professors (most of the time anyways)! I am proud to say I attend Erskine college, and I highly value my experience there.

Lara

I would have learned better study habbits.

Adrianne

Having more time management and study skills

Ashlee

My best advice to finding the right college is ?Do not procrastinate!? The earlier you begin searching for the right college, the better chance you will have to find the perfect fit. College was four of the most important years of my life and I know I would have regretted it severely if I had not gone to the place I felt fit my future aspirations and my personal needs the best. The friends and connections you make in college are truly ones you will keep for life and the education you receive is your key to future success, so take time to make the right decision. Make a list of things you require in a college and the things you prefer and find a college that suits all of the requirements because anything else then fitting your preferences will be a bonus. Once you find the right fit, do not procrastinate in college either. Keep up with your work and balance your work life, personal fun, academics, athletics, and friends equally. Most importantly, make time for what really makes you happy and do not worry unnecessarily, everything will work out okay in the end if you work hard enough!

Teresa

I would suggest that students and parents take the time to visit the campus and go on a tour. They should talk to several students at the school and ask them about their experiences. I would suggest that they find out what kind of scholarships they can apply for. I would want them to meet several professors from the field they are considering majoring in. I would also try to arrange to stay overnight with a current freshman so they can experience what their lives are going to be like, such as living in a dorm and going to several different classes.

Chane'l

Have them visit Erskine College and get a truly wonderful liberal arts education.

It is important to look at several kinds of schools before you pick the school you want to go to. Finding Erskine for me was like coming home, I just had the feeling that being here I would feel like home. Look at not only the academic part but also the social part. It is important to find out what goes on at the school, what it is known for, and where you would fit in.

Howard

Don't use cost as your primary criterion for selecting schools to apply to. Scholarships are available for most schools, even private ones. Instead, focus on the school and classroom size, and take into account the use your degree will have after you graduate.

Katie

When looking for a college or university that best suits you, there are some very important things to consider; size, religion, reputation, affordability, and if they offer the degree and/or sports you're looking for. The size of a school should be important to the student. The size of the school normally reflects the student life. Larger schools tend to have more parties, while smaller schools allow for better studying. Religion is important if you have a specific religion that is important to have put in your everyday life. The school itself does not have to be religiously affiliated, but knowing the values of the school and if there is an appropriate worshiping place nearby should be important. Affordability is very important, but scholarships are out there. It would be nice to come out of college not in debt or to know that you will be able to pay it off relatively soon after graduation. Getting the right degree is also mportant. If a college does not offer the degree you are seeking, there is no point in going. Also, if you are able to play a sport and want to, that should be a priority to look into.

Kassandra

I would advice that students and parents start looking at colleges early. It is best to start looking at the beginning of the student's junior year in high school. They should take into consideration the cost, academics, housing, dining and the location. The student needs to decide if they want to go to a small or large college. The more comfortable the student is with the location and living accomodations, the easier the transition will be. The students and parents should visit the colleges, meet some of the professors and sit in classes. All of these things will be helpfull in deciding a college. Another piece of advice is to talk to the current students. Ask them what they like and dislike about the college. A big thing to take into consideration is class size and professor to student ratio. Also, find out how willing the professors are to help the students outside of class. The distance the school is from your home is also important. The student needs to decide whether he/she wants to be close or far away from home.

Stani

Spend time at the college you're considering. Look past the facade the admissions counselors give to you. Talk to recent alumni and get the real information. Don't make a decision based on fake smiling faces and a "polished" institution - they make it that way to reel you in.

Kensey

Once a potential student is in either their Junior or Senior year of high school, he/she along with their parents should start looking for colleges and/or scholarships available. I can't begin to describe the importance of knowing whether or not the student would like to go to a public vs. private college. The advantages of attending a private institution outweigh the cheaper cost of a public education. For starters, private colleges typically are smaller and have professors who are more willing to make themselves accessible to the students. There are typically smaller class sizes which make students more apt to excell in their individual classes. I can't express how rewarding my college experience has been already with the close friends I've made, along with having an entire "family" among the small school community, as well as having an institution that stresses personal growth and a well-rounded, and positive outlook on life. Attending a school with a religious affiliation is also beneficial, at least one that doesn't quite stress any specific religion, but helps to reinforce any beliefs that a student may have. Work diligently, but have fun and make your college experience memorable!

Kassandra

My advice is that you figure out what size school you want to go to first. Do you want to go to a big school or a small school? Also, look at where it is located. Ask yourself if you would want to live there for the next 2-4 years. Also, look at the different degree options and what field you want to go into, and talk to some of the professors. Definitely visit the college. If you can spend a night there, do it. This helps you get a feel for what it would be like to go there.

LaBorde

This school is not career oriented but rather focuses on a well-rounded liberal arts/Christian education

sj

ask questions ask questions ask questions

Wesley

When searching for a college to attend, make sure to consider the general political view of the students on the campus. For example, a person who is a democratic might feel sort of isolated in a mostly republican school. Another thing to consider is if the campus allows alcohol on campus. Whatever a college decides with respect to allowing alcohol on campus can say a lot about the student body. A simple rule about having alcohol on campus could indicate if the college that is being looking at is just a party school. Lastly, make sure you research people who graduated from the college in question. Find out of these people were successful and if they were, find out if their success had anything to do with choosing the college in question.

Timothy

Find out what you are looking for but try not to be too specific. Allow some compromise when it comes to looking for the right school for you, but only compromise if it is something that you dont have a problem with it.