Avondale, AZ
Estrella Mountain Community College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Estrella Mountain Community College

Roxana

I would have told myself that going to a community college was as good a choice as going to a university right after high school. Community college would be a good step to take in order to save money to later go to university. While attending a community college one can learn to mingle with new kinds of people of all ages which is similar to university. No matter what I would choose an education is an education. Every student in either community college or universities studies from the same books, so no matter where you are you will receive the adequate education that is needed to further your career. Apart from the fact that the education will be the same, community college offers clubs and other activities that universities have as well. The university atmosphere may be a bit different than community college, but the first step to take would be to go to community college for two years and then transfer to a 4 year university. That way, you get to experience the two different atmospheres that can be found in community colleges and universities.

I would have wished to know more about the clubs offered in the school, but other than that I was well informed of everything else.

The worst thing about my school is that sometimes when you want to see an advisor, it may take up to an hour to wait for the one you want.

Anne

My classmates come from a variety of backgrounds , have unique experiences in education and life making each class interesting and rewarding.

In college you need to be self directed and motivated, something that is not emphasized in high school. If I could go back in time, this would be something that I would tell myself to work on. Although there is much freedom there is also more room for error, and as a high school student transitioning to a much harder environment, this is something not many people feel the need to share. My freshman year was very hard because college was so different from high school. The teachers in college left it up to you to come to class and to do your homework on time. This was no longer a thing the teachers in high school prodded you to do until you finally completed their assignments. Once in college it was almost shocking for the teachers to say "Ok do it or don't. Come to class or not. This is your future , your money, and your choices.You are an adult now and if you fail to turn in your homework or start failing, I'm not going to call home . You are responsible for yourself now." In the real world it is about performance and not intention.

The best things about my school are the small class sizes and personal interactions between the teachers and students that most large class sizes fail to achieve.

William

The clasoom sizes aren't to big, to the point wre I am overlooked. The intructors are great and help me to be the best I can be for the future. Another thing is that he school doesn't have any sports teams.

I would tell my self to apply to more major universities. Also not to be discouraged by hearing no's from universities. I would also tell my senior self to take more honor classes. Then I would have told my self to focus on schoolwork more, so that I could raise my g.p.a from a 3.2. I would also tell myself not to be lazy and not to coast by my senior year. I could have done more than just easy classes so that I can graduate.

I probably would have wanted to know the best classes to take in order to earn my degree.

Joy

My classmates are mostly very different from me. They are very young, former high school seniors. They don't have a lot of life experience so they are fresh and excited.

I would have told myself to stay in school no matter what my challenges were in my family life. I would have had a serious talk about ways I could have completed traditional high school . I would have told myself how inportant my education was and how hard it would be to go back and complete 20 to 30 years later. I would have told myself how important the social aspects of high school are and how important things like prom really are.

The location is very conveniant for my busy life.

Nhi

My campus is full of determined and highly intelligent students taking their first step into the world of higher education, guided under the eyes of vast and helpful professors.

The first thing that I would tell myself is to take things slowly. College is just the next level to high school and that you should not be worried about professors and exams. Just think of it as if you were in middle school and were worried about high school being hard, well now it's high school and you?re afraid of college. It?s all the same thing, school is school, just different campus and teachers. Then I would say that scholarships are a must, you never had to pay for high school, but now in college it?s all up to you. And that deciding on a school it not the worst thing right now, all schools are the same thing, just some cost more than others, but starting off at a Community College is the best way to go. It saves money, time and effort, when you go to Community College. Don?t worry too much and enjoy the remainder of your senior year with your friends, because after graduation, everyone is parting ways. Everyone you know and care about right now will slowly drift away when college comes, cherish these moments right now with them.

Anyone who is just starting their newly acquired journey for a higher education, and is unsure of what major or field to shoot for then this is the place for you. Here at Estrella Mountain Community College you can mature into the college student that you are and find your path for the new world and have help from great teachers and students alike. If you?re still deciding on whether college is right for you, or starting at a community college to save money, you will find yourself very pleased at what Estrella can offer to embrace your intellect.

Lacie

What I know now is that I have known pain like no one should. I let my parents down my daughter down and myself down. In 2006 I finally got help through a recovery program and am now 4 in a half years recovered from alcohol and drug addiction. The pain I went through has now been my greatest motivator in pursuing a higher education. If I could talk to myself 12 years earlier I would tell myself that the alcohol and drugs I was doing will get me no where. (of course I thought they were) That starting college right out of high school would be my greatest asset through out my life. I would stress the importance that knowledge would be a higher reward in the long end. (instead of getting hi) I would also say that nursing would be the final decision. That staying in college would give me the stability and strength that I was searching for.

My school is a great school for people starting out and looking to transfer to a 4 year university.

If i could go back in time and talk to me in the begining of my freshman year it would change my whole future. I woud tell myself to be serious, get involved, and apply for everything. I would have urged myself not to work as much ao i could get serious and apply myself to the fullest. I would have made sure and let myself know that the little things you do all throughout high school could determine alot one day. Also the most important piece of advise i would give myself is not to move out, stay at one school for all four years of high school. There is alot i would have changed but, i wouldn't change it for anything. I am still making it to college because i belive no matter what the circumstances of the past i can still change my future.

I feel the best thing about my school is low class sizes . This is an important issue everywhere. The less students there are in the class the more you can get out of a class.

Kristin

My school is currently best known for the smaller class sizes. It is one of the smaller Maricopa Comunity Colleges and the benifits the students attending in getting more person attention from their educators.

If I could go back to highschool and tell myself anything, I think I would tell myself to pay more attention. When I entered my first year of college I was slapped hard in the face. I was not prepared at all really for all the note taking, independent reading and studying. In highschool I did not really need to try that hard to get by in my classes. There was always in-class study groups and constant support and reminders. In college there is some teacher support but they put most of the responsibilty on you. That was something I wasn't used too. It did not take me long however to realize I would have to pay more attention to the lectures as well as how much effort I was putting into my education. However, even if I could go back and give myself advice, I think it takes the expierence to figure out what to do and what not to do in college.

I really do not know. I love it. I guess I wish I would have known my way around more.

Anthony

My classmates came in a variety of personalities.

My classmates came in a variety of personalities.

I'm not really sure what my school is best known for. It's a community college that's not that old, has no sports teams, and didn't even get a mascot until last year. This school is really not renown anywhere.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself a few things. The most important thing I would tell myself is not to procrastinate. There have been many times that I have procrastinated and been hurt by it. One major area I was hurt by procrastinating is financially. There are multiple times when I failed to apply for scholarships, huge scholarships that would've helped me significantly. That's another thing I would tell myself; apply for as many scholarships as possible. Even the smallest amount would help get a cut on my tuition price. I would've gotten at least one, and if I didn't, I would've known that I at least tried. The last thing I would tell myself is to not be ashamed to go to a community college. I never knew that I would've gotten the same education, but for a lower price. These things are what I would tell myself.

christian

In life to trully happy you must have passion and purpose. And to achieve this you must follow your dreams. But, there are two things that prevent us from achieving our dreams: believing them to be impossible or seeing those dreams made possible by some sudden turn of the wheel of fortune, when you least expect it. For at that moment, all our fears suddenly surface : the fear setting off along a road heading who knows where, the fear of a life full of challenges, the fear of losing forever everything that is familiar. People want to change everything and, at the same time, want it all to remain the same. Take the road less traveled and assume any challenges that your will encounter.

Estrella Mountain Community College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.