Estrella Mountain Community College

« See more reviews of Estrella Mountain Community College

When a high school senior is in their graduation they assume that life in college will be an easy to complete. These were my exact thoughts about life after high school. I continued seeing college as high school and wouldn't take college seriously. I would complete my homework but I wouldn't study enough for tests. During my first semester in college, I wouldn't look at my grades that often to check if I had missed an assignment which led to chaos. This took effect when taking a psychology class my first semester. It occurred when I noticed a missing test grade that I took in class. I messaged the professor and she told me it's your responsibility to keep track of your grades and I received an F for the class. I suddenly realized that it's not high school anymore where teachers will notify a student when an assignment was missing. After that moment I was promt which replaced the F for an A in psychology. My advice to graduating high school seniors is that having responsibility, dedication and being independent is crucial to survive through the hard and studious years for a college student.

I would have told myself that going to a community college was as good a choice as going to a university right after high school. Community college would be a good step to take in order to save money to later go to university. While attending a community college one can learn to mingle with new kinds of people of all ages which is similar to university. No matter what I would choose an education is an education. Every student in either community college or universities studies from the same books, so no matter where you are you will receive the adequate education that is needed to further your career. Apart from the fact that the education will be the same, community college offers clubs and other activities that universities have as well. The university atmosphere may be a bit different than community college, but the first step to take would be to go to community college for two years and then transfer to a 4 year university. That way, you get to experience the two different atmospheres that can be found in community colleges and universities.

Doc has just finished building the DeLorean and we are hanging out at the Twin Pine Mall. I ask him,"Hey Doc. Can I ask you a favor?" "Anything," he replies. I tell him the date and...ZOOM! I am off to May 29, 2009. I found myself walking the baseball field were the graduation ceremony was held. "Jess!" I yell out, "Wait! I am you from the future. I need to talk to you." Finally, I convince my past self that I am really her and we find ourselves sitting in the dugout. "What do you need to talk to me about?", my past self asks. "School," I tell her," There is some advice I need to give you. I know you are planning on going to the community college, which is a great plan, but be careful on where you transfer. Consult your counselor on the classes you need, especially if it is out of state. Some of the schools don't accept the classes you are taking. Contact the school's counselors for guidance. You don't want to take unnecessary classes or repeat classes. Counselors are your best friends in college; utilize their talent and knowledge."

The first thing that I would tell myself is to take things slowly. College is just the next level to high school and that you should not be worried about professors and exams. Just think of it as if you were in middle school and were worried about high school being hard, well now it's high school and you?re afraid of college. It?s all the same thing, school is school, just different campus and teachers. Then I would say that scholarships are a must, you never had to pay for high school, but now in college it?s all up to you. And that deciding on a school it not the worst thing right now, all schools are the same thing, just some cost more than others, but starting off at a Community College is the best way to go. It saves money, time and effort, when you go to Community College. Don?t worry too much and enjoy the remainder of your senior year with your friends, because after graduation, everyone is parting ways. Everyone you know and care about right now will slowly drift away when college comes, cherish these moments right now with them.

In college you need to be self directed and motivated, something that is not emphasized in high school. If I could go back in time, this would be something that I would tell myself to work on. Although there is much freedom there is also more room for error, and as a high school student transitioning to a much harder environment, this is something not many people feel the need to share. My freshman year was very hard because college was so different from high school. The teachers in college left it up to you to come to class and to do your homework on time. This was no longer a thing the teachers in high school prodded you to do until you finally completed their assignments. Once in college it was almost shocking for the teachers to say "Ok do it or don't. Come to class or not. This is your future , your money, and your choices.You are an adult now and if you fail to turn in your homework or start failing, I'm not going to call home . You are responsible for yourself now." In the real world it is about performance and not intention.

I would tell myself that the hardships that go on in your senior year pass by to fast , so don't delay on what education can give you. I 'd say stay focused and life really is short.you don't know what life has to offer until you seek all your options of achieving dreams .Being smart and volunteering your time is never a waste, it's a character builder to train you for life. Get involved and surround yourself with others that share your passion, to go further in life .Education is a key factor, just know that when you get older you will know that life is short . But if you have a career you enjoy you won't wake up and say, "work again" but you will wake up enjoying eachday you go to work because it is something you have a passion for. I would say scholarships and grants are the way to go. Now that it's your senior year put in extra effort and get grades that reflect, you deserve to get them. In all things you are someone, you are valuable and you are worth achieving each goal put before you.

If I could go back and talk to myself there are various things I would love to say. First of all, I would start of by advising myself to go straight to college because I have no time to waste considering the career that I am currently going for. Another important notice I would tell myself is to immediately do the research to decide what I truly wanted to be in life so that way I could have been more passionate and motivated about my future. Life passes by you way to swiftly to let any moment of possible progression go by. Every day counts so if I wanted to be the best in my field I would have to study and be determined like the best in the field. I would address the importance of staring college right away do to my extended career path of going from wanting to be a police officer to pursuing a career as a physical therapists. Being a fist generation child in college I would tell myself at that moment that it is possible to pursue my ultimate dream I would just have to learn how to do so.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself not to sweat all the little things that seem to make high school so bad. If I could tell myself to study harder and do more work on say scholarships than it would be worth going back and giving myself advice. As a senior I was very stuborn and didnt like the school or town for that matter that I was in. I never liked it since my freshmen year but a few words of advice would be to chrerish the last few months I have with my friends who would be moving away. Even a small thing such as calling up a lonly buddy and asking if he or she would like to go out for some pizza. I would also tell myself to stay strong in my christian faith, I decided to become a pastor when I was sixteen. There were alot of things in high school, especailly senior year that I am not particullarly proud of; considering a possible drop out of high school, attempting suicide, and just being a real jerk to people would top my list off.

If I could go back in time I would let myself know to take school much more seriously. Sadly, I was caught up with the wrong friends in high school and never applied myself with the fear of being labeled as a "nerd." Unfortunately, that thought process carried over to my first year of college which put me behind a little in my degree and has definitely had a negative impact on my GPA. Once I realized that all my high school "friends" who would make fun of me for being successful were purposely bringing me down, I chose to move on, take my future more seriously as I should, and cut loose any negative people in my life who did not support and encourage me. I always knew I was intelligent and capable of accomplishing many things, but I did what a lot do and gave in to peer pressure. If I knew what I know now when I was in high school I would have straightened up much earlier, even if it meant me graduating high school with no friends at all.

Remember that it is just college, there is no reason to be scared or unwilling to ask the teachers or classmates for help when something seems overwhelming or diffacult to understand. Another thing to do is to try and get scholarships in order to help pay for school, scholarships are here to help and encourage students to stay in school. Also be willing to talk to people and make friends there, there is a chance that you might be there for a little while and it is not a crime to make friends with other students and also teachers, teachers will be there for you and attempt to help you in any way they can, not just with the work for their class but also to help out with the future and the goals you might have set up for yourself. College is a great experience and should not be missed out on, make sure to try your best and to not settle for second even if things might seem hard at first it will pay off in the end.