Estrella Mountain Community College Top Questions

Tiara

Till this day I remember how I felt at my graduation. As my principal spoke “Congratulations class of 2014” , I just remember feeling like a looser. When I was younger I was known as the smart one. That was my identity, Tiara the smart one. When I entered high school everything changed. I made choices that I’m not proud of and there I sat on graduation day feeling awful because I could not get into ASU. My choices hindered that. Today as an 18 year old, almost done with my first year at a community college I wish I could go back and tell my senior self that things will be ok. I need to stop hating myself for the mistakes I had made, and start loving myself for the future I was going to build for myself. I am now determined, a 4.0 student, and I am happier than ever. I wish I knew then I was not a looser, I was capable of so much more. I just needed the right resources around me.

Josue

If I had the amazing opportunity to go back in time, and give advice to myself , I would tell myself to grab a chair, and listen carefully. I would tell myself the following: Education is one of the most important things you can do for yourself, family, and the future ahead. You have to understand that sometimes things seem hard, but do not let things deter you from moving forward, and finishing your education. Most importantly you have to be able to have a burning desire to get through every semester. It will be your obligation to make sure you apply for a great deal of scholarships, financial aid, and apply for a job on campus. Do a extensive research on how to become a better student, and how to use your time properly at all times. Finally, have confidence that you can achieve anything in life, and remember do no quit.

Savannah

It would not really make much difference going back to talk to myself as a high school senior about college because I spent most of my senior year already in college. Of course, there was still a transition going from high school student to full-time college student, and I would tell myself that there was (almost) nothing to worry about. The transition has been fairly smooth for the most part. Although, if I could talk to myself from before I actually started taking college classes, I would probably give the advice not to be worried about what to expect because everyone I have met has been helpful. I have done well in this school and had a good time doing it and there are not many things I would want to change.

If I could go back in time I would let myself know to take school much more seriously. Sadly, I was caught up with the wrong friends in high school and never applied myself with the fear of being labeled as a "nerd." Unfortunately, that thought process carried over to my first year of college which put me behind a little in my degree and has definitely had a negative impact on my GPA. Once I realized that all my high school "friends" who would make fun of me for being successful were purposely bringing me down, I chose to move on, take my future more seriously as I should, and cut loose any negative people in my life who did not support and encourage me. I always knew I was intelligent and capable of accomplishing many things, but I did what a lot do and gave in to peer pressure. If I knew what I know now when I was in high school I would have straightened up much earlier, even if it meant me graduating high school with no friends at all.

Doc has just finished building the DeLorean and we are hanging out at the Twin Pine Mall. I ask him,"Hey Doc. Can I ask you a favor?" "Anything," he replies. I tell him the date and...ZOOM! I am off to May 29, 2009. I found myself walking the baseball field were the graduation ceremony was held. "Jess!" I yell out, "Wait! I am you from the future. I need to talk to you." Finally, I convince my past self that I am really her and we find ourselves sitting in the dugout. "What do you need to talk to me about?", my past self asks. "School," I tell her," There is some advice I need to give you. I know you are planning on going to the community college, which is a great plan, but be careful on where you transfer. Consult your counselor on the classes you need, especially if it is out of state. Some of the schools don't accept the classes you are taking. Contact the school's counselors for guidance. You don't want to take unnecessary classes or repeat classes. Counselors are your best friends in college; utilize their talent and knowledge."

If I had the opportunity to go back into time and talk to myself a year ago, I would have told myself to study a little harder and prepare for the placement test so I could score higher. I scored a couple points away from going into the next classes so I feel like I could have prepared for that. I would also tell myself to take another class because I am kind of bored right now with four classes and they are easy. I want more, I want challenging. I would give myself tips to succeed and tell myself that I’m doing fine right now and to keep on my track because I’m doing very well

Yesenia

When a high school senior is in their graduation they assume that life in college will be an easy to complete. These were my exact thoughts about life after high school. I continued seeing college as high school and wouldn't take college seriously. I would complete my homework but I wouldn't study enough for tests. During my first semester in college, I wouldn't look at my grades that often to check if I had missed an assignment which led to chaos. This took effect when taking a psychology class my first semester. It occurred when I noticed a missing test grade that I took in class. I messaged the professor and she told me it's your responsibility to keep track of your grades and I received an F for the class. I suddenly realized that it's not high school anymore where teachers will notify a student when an assignment was missing. After that moment I was promt which replaced the F for an A in psychology. My advice to graduating high school seniors is that having responsibility, dedication and being independent is crucial to survive through the hard and studious years for a college student.

If I can go back in time and give myself advice about the college life, I would tell myself to not waste any time. Unfortunately, I found myself taking more classes than I can handle, in order to graduate on time. I would also tell myself to not procrastinate because in college, teachers are strict with due dates and when it comes to procrastinating, I find myself working on multiple assignments at the same time. Lastly, I would tell myself to focus more on my career goal and to not give up. With all of the distractions and other events in my personal life, it is easy to stray away from focusing on the future and only worrying about the present.

bryan

If I could go back and talk to myself there are various things I would love to say. First of all, I would start of by advising myself to go straight to college because I have no time to waste considering the career that I am currently going for. Another important notice I would tell myself is to immediately do the research to decide what I truly wanted to be in life so that way I could have been more passionate and motivated about my future. Life passes by you way to swiftly to let any moment of possible progression go by. Every day counts so if I wanted to be the best in my field I would have to study and be determined like the best in the field. I would address the importance of staring college right away do to my extended career path of going from wanting to be a police officer to pursuing a career as a physical therapists. Being a fist generation child in college I would tell myself at that moment that it is possible to pursue my ultimate dream I would just have to learn how to do so.

If I had the opportunity to go back in time and talk to myself while a Senior in high school the first thing I would say is don’t focus so much on the school work. College is more than just learning the academics. Go out and meet new people, see new things and have new experiences. See the world around you and take it all in. Go ahead and get a job and make a little extra money but remember to have fun too. Take lots of different classes in different areas, find out exactly what you are interested in and really enjoy. Don’t take the easy route; don’t trust that your friend from high school will always be there. It doesn’t work out that way. But, most of all, follow your heart and do what you feel is right. It does eventually all work out for the best.

lisha

Take your schooling seriously for it will be your future. Take time to understand and choose what you want to go to school for, let it be your passion and something you could dream about everynight. Don't want to go to college for something just because it's good money or because someone thinks it's right for you, dream it, live it and love what your going to do. Know in your heart that its never to late to chase your dream and when you reach it and have it in your hands it will feel like you have just been born.

Cynthia

If I was given the opportunity to go back in time as a high school senior the advice I would give myself is to recognize that high school is easy compare to college. In college I can use my free will to the maximum. If I wake up in the morning, on any given day, i can choose not to attend my class(es) and not be affected by it. My homework could become secondary to my daily workouts or my favorite tv show. I would tell myself to become a self motivated person if I wasnt already and to use the advantage of my free will to succeed in my classes. I would also give myself the advice that college prepares you for adulthood by teaching me to be responsible, willing and hard working.

If I could go back to my senior year and give myself advice about college I would definately tell myself to become more organized. I would tell me to use planning and organization tools like a weekly planner. I would also advise myself to take better and more detailed notes, because college professors often do not supply the notes but that it is the students responsibility to do the note taking. As for the transition from high school life to college life, I would tell myself that college is no longer a "popularity contest" and it is possible that people older than your parents may be in your classes. It would be benificial to tell myself to be ready for a change of scenery and style of learning. All in all, I would want myself to be aware of the vast differences of people I would be meeting and the style of classes I would be attending.

Laurel

If I could go back and be a high school senior I would tell myself to go to college right after high school. I would stress that even a semester off is not a good idea. I would explain the stresses that arose because of the choice to take a couple of years off of school. The second thing I would promote, is to save as much money as I can, because even if scholarships are given, life still costs money.

Ellen

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, knowing what I now know about college life and making the transition, I would tell myself this - go to community college first. Even though going to a university straight out of high school sounds like the better idea, it really isn't, because it's much harder to handle the transition from high school to a huge university than it is to handle the transition from high school to a small community college. Also, attending community college isn't as expensive as attending a university.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself not to sweat all the little things that seem to make high school so bad. If I could tell myself to study harder and do more work on say scholarships than it would be worth going back and giving myself advice. As a senior I was very stuborn and didnt like the school or town for that matter that I was in. I never liked it since my freshmen year but a few words of advice would be to chrerish the last few months I have with my friends who would be moving away. Even a small thing such as calling up a lonly buddy and asking if he or she would like to go out for some pizza. I would also tell myself to stay strong in my christian faith, I decided to become a pastor when I was sixteen. There were alot of things in high school, especailly senior year that I am not particullarly proud of; considering a possible drop out of high school, attempting suicide, and just being a real jerk to people would top my list off.

I would tell myself, "WHAT ARE YOU DOING! GET YOUR MIND OFF GIRLS AND ON YOUR FUTURE!"

Brenna

If I could talk to my high school self, I would start by reminding myself to stay strong. Afterall, it was not soon after graduation that I lost my home and job. I would tell myself that you cannot always rely on others, it is because I trusted a friend that I remained homeless. I would say that every semester offers a precious oppertunity to prove myself and to discover one more bit of the world. If I had known two years ago that I would be where I was, I would have faught much harder. College should not be difficult, but soetimes it is, that is just life. Then I would give a rib-crushing hug and smile wide!

Keenan

Remember that it is just college, there is no reason to be scared or unwilling to ask the teachers or classmates for help when something seems overwhelming or diffacult to understand. Another thing to do is to try and get scholarships in order to help pay for school, scholarships are here to help and encourage students to stay in school. Also be willing to talk to people and make friends there, there is a chance that you might be there for a little while and it is not a crime to make friends with other students and also teachers, teachers will be there for you and attempt to help you in any way they can, not just with the work for their class but also to help out with the future and the goals you might have set up for yourself. College is a great experience and should not be missed out on, make sure to try your best and to not settle for second even if things might seem hard at first it will pay off in the end.

Mercedes

If I could go back in time and talk to my high school senior self and knowing what I know now about college life would be to stay focused. They always said that your grades would matter in the future and I never believed it until now. I would also advise myself to strive to do better and take more advanced and/or honors classes. I was smart enough but I never took them. Finally I would tell myself that education should be more important than social standards and what your friends think. School work should be taken more seriously than what I took it for. I just think that kids in general need to understand that education is worth it and it is a gift, it should be taken serious. Be independent and have fun. College is fun when you make the right choices and take the fun classes.

Erich

If i could go back and talk to myself as a senior in highschool there would be many things I would tell myself. First and foremost I would warn myself about the dangers of drinking and drugs. I would tell myself to go into college undecided so that I may take an array of classes including chemistry, biology and many different math classes. The most important thing I believe would be too inform myself to keep a job through college and not to take out student loans, I would say "do not take out any student loans through Wells fargo, it will stress you out beyond belief and is not wroth it"!

I would tell myself that the hardships that go on in your senior year pass by to fast , so don't delay on what education can give you. I 'd say stay focused and life really is short.you don't know what life has to offer until you seek all your options of achieving dreams .Being smart and volunteering your time is never a waste, it's a character builder to train you for life. Get involved and surround yourself with others that share your passion, to go further in life .Education is a key factor, just know that when you get older you will know that life is short . But if you have a career you enjoy you won't wake up and say, "work again" but you will wake up enjoying eachday you go to work because it is something you have a passion for. I would say scholarships and grants are the way to go. Now that it's your senior year put in extra effort and get grades that reflect, you deserve to get them. In all things you are someone, you are valuable and you are worth achieving each goal put before you.

Roxana

I would have told myself that going to a community college was as good a choice as going to a university right after high school. Community college would be a good step to take in order to save money to later go to university. While attending a community college one can learn to mingle with new kinds of people of all ages which is similar to university. No matter what I would choose an education is an education. Every student in either community college or universities studies from the same books, so no matter where you are you will receive the adequate education that is needed to further your career. Apart from the fact that the education will be the same, community college offers clubs and other activities that universities have as well. The university atmosphere may be a bit different than community college, but the first step to take would be to go to community college for two years and then transfer to a 4 year university. That way, you get to experience the two different atmospheres that can be found in community colleges and universities.

In college you need to be self directed and motivated, something that is not emphasized in high school. If I could go back in time, this would be something that I would tell myself to work on. Although there is much freedom there is also more room for error, and as a high school student transitioning to a much harder environment, this is something not many people feel the need to share. My freshman year was very hard because college was so different from high school. The teachers in college left it up to you to come to class and to do your homework on time. This was no longer a thing the teachers in high school prodded you to do until you finally completed their assignments. Once in college it was almost shocking for the teachers to say "Ok do it or don't. Come to class or not. This is your future , your money, and your choices.You are an adult now and if you fail to turn in your homework or start failing, I'm not going to call home . You are responsible for yourself now." In the real world it is about performance and not intention.

I would tell my self to apply to more major universities. Also not to be discouraged by hearing no's from universities. I would also tell my senior self to take more honor classes. Then I would have told my self to focus on schoolwork more, so that I could raise my g.p.a from a 3.2. I would also tell myself not to be lazy and not to coast by my senior year. I could have done more than just easy classes so that I can graduate.

Joy

I would have told myself to stay in school no matter what my challenges were in my family life. I would have had a serious talk about ways I could have completed traditional high school . I would have told myself how inportant my education was and how hard it would be to go back and complete 20 to 30 years later. I would have told myself how important the social aspects of high school are and how important things like prom really are.

Nhi

The first thing that I would tell myself is to take things slowly. College is just the next level to high school and that you should not be worried about professors and exams. Just think of it as if you were in middle school and were worried about high school being hard, well now it's high school and you?re afraid of college. It?s all the same thing, school is school, just different campus and teachers. Then I would say that scholarships are a must, you never had to pay for high school, but now in college it?s all up to you. And that deciding on a school it not the worst thing right now, all schools are the same thing, just some cost more than others, but starting off at a Community College is the best way to go. It saves money, time and effort, when you go to Community College. Don?t worry too much and enjoy the remainder of your senior year with your friends, because after graduation, everyone is parting ways. Everyone you know and care about right now will slowly drift away when college comes, cherish these moments right now with them.

Lacie

What I know now is that I have known pain like no one should. I let my parents down my daughter down and myself down. In 2006 I finally got help through a recovery program and am now 4 in a half years recovered from alcohol and drug addiction. The pain I went through has now been my greatest motivator in pursuing a higher education. If I could talk to myself 12 years earlier I would tell myself that the alcohol and drugs I was doing will get me no where. (of course I thought they were) That starting college right out of high school would be my greatest asset through out my life. I would stress the importance that knowledge would be a higher reward in the long end. (instead of getting hi) I would also say that nursing would be the final decision. That staying in college would give me the stability and strength that I was searching for.

If i could go back in time and talk to me in the begining of my freshman year it would change my whole future. I woud tell myself to be serious, get involved, and apply for everything. I would have urged myself not to work as much ao i could get serious and apply myself to the fullest. I would have made sure and let myself know that the little things you do all throughout high school could determine alot one day. Also the most important piece of advise i would give myself is not to move out, stay at one school for all four years of high school. There is alot i would have changed but, i wouldn't change it for anything. I am still making it to college because i belive no matter what the circumstances of the past i can still change my future.

If I could go back to highschool and tell myself anything, I think I would tell myself to pay more attention. When I entered my first year of college I was slapped hard in the face. I was not prepared at all really for all the note taking, independent reading and studying. In highschool I did not really need to try that hard to get by in my classes. There was always in-class study groups and constant support and reminders. In college there is some teacher support but they put most of the responsibilty on you. That was something I wasn't used too. It did not take me long however to realize I would have to pay more attention to the lectures as well as how much effort I was putting into my education. However, even if I could go back and give myself advice, I think it takes the expierence to figure out what to do and what not to do in college.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself a few things. The most important thing I would tell myself is not to procrastinate. There have been many times that I have procrastinated and been hurt by it. One major area I was hurt by procrastinating is financially. There are multiple times when I failed to apply for scholarships, huge scholarships that would've helped me significantly. That's another thing I would tell myself; apply for as many scholarships as possible. Even the smallest amount would help get a cut on my tuition price. I would've gotten at least one, and if I didn't, I would've known that I at least tried. The last thing I would tell myself is to not be ashamed to go to a community college. I never knew that I would've gotten the same education, but for a lower price. These things are what I would tell myself.

christian

In life to trully happy you must have passion and purpose. And to achieve this you must follow your dreams. But, there are two things that prevent us from achieving our dreams: believing them to be impossible or seeing those dreams made possible by some sudden turn of the wheel of fortune, when you least expect it. For at that moment, all our fears suddenly surface : the fear setting off along a road heading who knows where, the fear of a life full of challenges, the fear of losing forever everything that is familiar. People want to change everything and, at the same time, want it all to remain the same. Take the road less traveled and assume any challenges that your will encounter.

Tunisia

If I could go back to myself as a high school senior, i would have a lot of advice for myself. First I would tell myself that I was capable of getting into a 4-your university. I did not apply at any universities my senior year because I did not think I would get into to one. Well after one semester at a community college i decided to go ahead and apply at Northern Arizona University and i was accepted. I was proud of myself but I wished that I had applied while I was still in high school. Another thing I would tell myself is to look for scholarships. It is very important to apply for scholarships especially with my family's financial status. Even though I don't think I'll be awarded anything, i am still applying to as many scholarships as I can because like I said before I didn't think I would be accepted to a University and I was so I might have the same luck at recieving a scholarship.

Roberto

Yes, I would tell myself that I wouldnt get anywhere without letting go. As in letting go of every single grudge against every single person that I hate or want them to disapear. Cause in reality keeping a grudge is like nail under your shoe. Cant get nowhere without hurting yourself. So just let go and keep moving forward. Also, dump your soon to be highschool sweetheart.

I would tell myself to try my hardest to get into honors classes. I would also tell myself to make sure to study for the SAT's, and APPLY for scholarships. And lastly, make some goals to shoot for, it's a lot more helpful to have goals.