Springfield, MO

Evangel University

« See more reviews of Evangel University

Most importantly, I would begin by telling myself to slow down. Life is not a race so stop living in the future and running on auto pilot during the present. As cliché as it sounds, you have to start living as the person that you already are and not who someone else wants you to be. I would tell myself that I will not feel whole again until I return to knowing and living for God as I had been the previous years before my senior year. Lastly, I would look myself straight in the eyes and let me know that I am loved and have much to offer the world.

Well high school self, I would just tell you to not give up any hope. You need to know that it is okay to move on from friends you had in high school, and it's okay to look towards a brighter future. Following your dream and the path God wants you to take will help you soar great heights. Things will come and after you graduate you will meet so many wonderful people. Don't be anxious about finding the one--he comes in very soon after you transfer. Focus on work and love life right now. Live each day step by step like you always have!

You should learn to take responsibility for yourself, Shawn. It is a crazy and expensive world out there and Art School is just the beginning. College is not like high school and you will not be babysat through your classes. You need to focus really hard and stay disciplined to become the best artist you can be. It is your dream, right? Then make your dream a reality through the hardwork you know you can display to your peers and elders. Oh yeah, apply for lots and lots of scholarships, I need not remind you of how expensive it is.

Advice I would give to parents or students is to find a school that you are comfortable going to. Make sure the campus has a good feel and a good environment while at the same time maintaining strong morals and convictions. Another thing is to make sure that the college has high academic standards, you are paying a lot of money for your education, so make sure you get a good one. Lastly, I would say to get involved. Get invovled with sports, dramatics, social activites, government, whatever your passion is, just get involved.

If I could go back in time, I would tell myself to start studying harder. School was always easy for me, so when I got to college, I was really lacking study-skills. Teaching myself how to study was one of the most difficult things about transitioning into college life. I would also let myself know that everything is going to work out alright. My senior year I was full of anxiety over picking a school and what it would be like to move away from home. I would like to save myself the stress and give myself more peace of mind.

Enjoy every moment of this time. Life gets harder from here on out- so let yourself enjoy these times. At the same time study hard and keep doing your work. Getting a good grade is so much more fufilling then you can understand. Advenutre out a little bit, take every oppurtunity for adventure. (Live in the moment, don't just take pictures of it!) It all seems chessey to say, but this is really how life should be. Appreciate everything you can. Life throws a lot at you, but nothing more then you can handle!

I would tell myself to take advantage of the harder classes offered and make due with what is available at my high school. I would tell my self to study as hard as I possibly can to get a high score on my ACT. I would also tell myself to have fund raisers and raise money so that I can have money for books and things as well as money down on my tuition. I would tell myself to be more outgoing when approaching college life and to embrace it with open arms because its the pathway to another chapter my life.

I have learned the importance of self-discipline and the necessity for achieving what I am capable of. Whether it be in relationships, friendships, in the classroom, at work, or studying, doing what needs to be done on time and in the best way possible defines the success of an individual in college. It has been valuable to attend college because I have been challenged mentally, physically, emotionally, and spiritually, growth in which has made me a stronger and more able individual to help others.

If I can go back in time I give myself advice my senior year of high school, I would tell myself, "apply to all the schools you want. Do not limit your options". If someone would have told me that while I was a senior, I would accepted what my guidance counselor told me. She was very discouraging and pretty much told me that I would not get accepted to any university. I should have listen to my gut and gone with the other college applications that I had. I should have been a rebel!

The most important thing in finding a college is to interview people who actually attend that college currently to find out what the climate of the student population is. The most important thing about making the most of the college experience is to remember to keep your priorities in line. It's easy to allow school, work, dating, and friendships to all become the "one thing" in your life, but if you keep them all in balance, you will have an amazing time in college.