Springfield, MO

Evangel University

« See more reviews of Evangel University

If I were given the opportunity to travel back in time to give myself some advice, I would not. This may come as a surprise, but I whole-heartedly believe words do not resonate, experience resonates. Listening to any advice, whether it be good or bad, falls on deaf ears due to the inability for the lesson to permanently stick. Through growth and experience, the message trying to be conveyed can finally levy the weight neccesary for it to be fully grasped by the mind. Day in and day out, people are shown the right path, but stray from such path due to their inability to permanently attain the idea. Only through each individuals' trials and tribulations can they learn to fully appreciate the advice and justly apply it. I have been aware of what is right and what is wrong for quite some time, but have found it "easier" to simply not make a change and allow myself to get distracted by my fellow peers and media influences. It is only recently that I have found these distractions do not lead to the fulfillment I so desperately seek. Everyday I will learn and grow, no distractions, only success awaits.

Personally, the transtition to college was the hardest part. I knew that growing up in Mali, Africa would be vastly different than growing up in Springfield, MO. If I could go back in time and give myself advice, I would tell myself to be aware of the culture shock. Not defensive and ready to strike back, but to be aware that I will not understand everything going on around me. The second piece of advice I would have given myself would be about time management. If I had learned how to effectively practice time management in high school it would have greatly benefitted me during my first year of college. The hardest part about college is not necessarily the difficulty of the assigments, but the quantity of them. If I could warn myself about that simple aspect I feel as if I could have benefitted even more than I already have. Even though I earned a cumulative GPA of 3.6 for my first year, I feel if I had better prepared myself concerning time management it would be the greatest factor in achieving an even higher GPA. Transitioning would followed suit once time management was taken care of.

I believe that through education, we not only learn about the world around us, but we discover who we are as individuals. My education at Evangel University has played a huge role in shaping myself and my character. I have learned the importance of living a life that reaches outside of my own needs and to the needs and concerns of the people around me. I have learned that a life which truly changes this world is not one that merely collects or gains material securities, but one that reaches out and gives, whether it be through the sharing of kindness, possessions, intellect, or opportunities. My education through Evangel University has instilled in me the importance of living for others and outside of myself, and I can no longer be satisfied with a life that gratifies my needs but leaves no lasting impression on the community and people around me. At the heart of education is the pursuit of truth, and there are few truths more precious to our understanding than the value of the people around us and the opportunities we have to bless their lives, the doing of which transforms our own.

If I could go back to High School and redo my college decision I would. I would tell myself to take the process more seriously. As a college junior that has now walked through the doors of four universities, I understand the importance of college visits, talking with guidance counselors, or even interacting with other students who have attended the university. It is important to find that university that feels like home; it is important to find that family like atmosphere. I truly feel this is huge key to a successful college career. As an athlete I was offered the opportunity to attend a number of colleges, and instead of making an informed decision I went where I was offered the best scholarship. It was a time in my life where I questioned a lot of my life?s decisions because that college was not the best fit for me. Quickly moving home and trying to find the path to discover myself again, I ran across Evangel University. This college offered me a scholarship out of high school and I passed it up, but if I would have listened, God knew this college was my fit in the first place.

It amazes me how much I have gotten out of attending Evangel University and I have only been here for about five months. One thing that I have gotten out of this school are fantastic classes and professors. The classes that I have taken and am currently taking are paving the way to strengthen my education and lead me to fulfilling my career goals and dreams. The professors work so hard to make the classes meaningful, useful, and productive for our education. They do a great job at this. Another thing that I have gotten out of this experience is wonderful friends. I have become so close with the people here on campus. They are encouraging and very kind. Having good friends is valuable to me because I want to make friendships that are going to last past my college years. I have become friends with people that constantly lift me up and help me follow my dreams. Another very important thing that I have gotten out of this experience is maturity. I have learned how to make wiser decisions on my own. I consider this valuable because it is helping me become the adult I want to be.

I transferred into Evangel as a junior. I was nervous about making friends, but that changed dramaticallly. I met so many people during the orientation weekend that I would never trade it in for the world. As new people come every semester, I have met more people and some of them are some of my best friends. I have learned so much here, not just in the classroom, but about myself. The discussions that we have in the classroom challenge my beliefs, opinions and what i was taught by my parents. It makes me want to have my own opinion, even if it is not the most popular choice. Sometimes I think about what if I accepted a different school's offer. I cannot imagine having gone anywhere else because the people that I have met, I would not trade them in for anyone else. Also, one of my professors truly challenges me to do my best, even if I am sleep-deprived the following morning while handing in the finished product. He always encourages me to become better and be more positive about my writing. I love where I am at and would not change it for the world.

Being a member of the Evangel family was a hard concept to grasp when first arriving at Evangel, but as the week’s past I soon discovered this statement was true. With my second semester underway, I am loving my college experience. Unlike other schools, Evangel's Professors truly care about their students and strive to provide them with the best. The campus life is wonderful, and I have made friends whose values and beliefs are similar to mine. Most importantly, I feel as if I am not only a part of a school, but a part of a community that attends school for one specific purpose...to be educated in their future vocations while growing into a deeper relationship with God. Each year a multitude of college students drop out of due to class attendance and it makes me wonder why they don’t value attending. In high school, some classes prepared us for college while others were easy A’s. In college, the classes we take prepare us for our future and teach us how we can impact the world around us. This experience is valuable as it helps us spread our wings and take flight.

My college started out as a certificate program in business with a Microsoft certification. After years of waiting, they recieved the opertunity to offer an Associate of Applied Science degree. With these two programs combined, I will recieve a business certificate, Microsoft Certification, a Associates Degree and, an externship. Which, depending on how I preform at my extern-site, might turn into a perminate job placement. I hope that this is the case for me so I can have finacial security in my life and for my child. I want to work towards my Bachelors degree after I have completed my Associates degree but, not untill I have a good job. I have classmates that are on there way to a career from there extern-sites and I hope that is the case for me so I have the financial stabiltity to further my education. The value of a good education and the prospect of a great career is worth the hardships I have faced and even with all that going on. I want to provide my son with a great role model and fill his dreams about the value of college, and what it can do for him.

My life would have panned out much differently if going back in time to talk to myself when I was a senior in high school was within the realm of possibilities. I am a student athlete and I would have of course given myself conventional advice like eat healthier, make sure you exercise more and drink more water. Though valuable, that advice would have done little to shape my future. In high school I thought I did not care what people thought. Foresight never fails to be hazy, but hindsight is always 20/20, as a result I lived high school in a highly disillusioned state. I let popular culture and pressure from my peers govern my every move. I was afraid to dress in fashions that attracted me, I did not listen to music I felt spoke to me the most, and I stayed in an unhealthy, emotionally abusive relationship. All of the ridiculous behavior that I subjected myself to was to impress people I am no longer in contact with and will not recognize in twenty years. If I could go back, I would tell myself that my efforts were in vain. I would have changed my situation.

If I were to go back in time to when I was in high school, I would tell myself to not even think about going anywhere else than Evangel University. I would probably go to the same community college for at least a year since it was free through an A+ tutoring program I volunteered for, but I would definitely tell myself to of course, go to college, but to choose Evangel without even hesitating! College is important for any individual. There are so many ways that you can pay for school and with today's economy, a college degree is almost needed to get anywhere in life. Why not take the financial risk and help your future? You learn so much about yourself, who you are, what you stand for, and what you like at college (Even who you like!) College is a must, and Evangel University was a great choice. You won't regret making this decision Vicki! Yes, it may be more expensive, but it will be worth it when you start your career and have an edge over your peers and competition. Good luck and make the most of your college years! They are amazing!