Springfield, MO

Evangel University

« See more reviews of Evangel University

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a highschool senior, I would give myself the advice of making a schedule that allows for plenty of study time. I was a homeschooled highschooler and much of my time was spent unscheduled and playing the piano or singing. One of the hardest transitions I had to face upon arriving on campus was scheduling my time so that it allowed for studying. I was noticing during the first three weeks of being on campus my grades were slowly dropping, and I was slowly beginning to not study. After brainstorming my problem of nearly failing classes, I discovered several outcomes. One that seemed to work the best for me was to by a calender that I have hung on my wall, a planner I carry with me, and a stopwatch. I know schedule out how long I need to spend on a subject, and I now choose to study instead of always hanging out with my friends. I would like to tell my highschool self to make a schedule that allows time for studying, because I believe if it was already a habit my transition would have been easier.

Transitioning from high school to college is hard because you no longer have someone telling you what to do. College is not about going to parties all the time but it is about finding out who you are and learning how to be responsible. The best advice is to never procrastinate because when you get projects and studying done early your grades will improve from it. Learn how to manage your social life and your studies because college is too expensive to be messing around and ending up with low grades that are going to be meaningless. You need to go to your classes all of the time and actually pay attention. Take good and eligible notes that you can study from and use when you need to. The most important advice I can give to you is to be yourself, don't give in to peer pressure and don't let anyone change who you are. You know that you were always about getting good grades and putting education first. Don't let anyone or anything change that. You got this, you can succeed and I know that you will become the person that you always wanted to be.

So far, in my college experience, I have only attended Evangel University to take a tour of the campus and meet up with some students already attending Evangel, yet because of my experience, I feel like I am already a part of the Evangel family. When taking a tour of the campus, our student guide had been very helpful in answering our questions and added an extra "umph" to the tour because she told us all about her Evangel experience as a student. It took my interests into a whole new universe. I fell absolutely in love with Evangel. I also stayed overnight in a dormitory with one of the students, and I not only met new Evangel students, but also I learned how much more I could get out of college other than just an education. I could get the whole experience of new friends from different states and countries, and I could experience the ministry in a whole new spotlight because of the college mission trips that Evangel offers. Now, with Evangel on my life plan, I know that my life journey will be spiritually enriching and joyful. '

"The past is gone, the future is a mystery, but today is a gift." These words were spoken by my elders throughout my whole life. Although, all I wanted to do was rush to college in order to finally start my life. I was involved in many things throughout highschool, but mentally I was not there. Ultimately, I graduated without any attachment to my hometown. The ability to have memories and friends to come back home to is a blessing, not a hendrance. The transition to college was easy for me as I expected. However, I was the only one who had no desire to go home, not even an ounce of homesickness. Therefore, my advice to myself in high school is to genuinely live in the present. Take a hold of the gift of today, make close friendships that you will miss and those which you can have memories of later. If you do not make those friendships and memories, it is as if that chapter in life was wasted. Moreover, do not waste the gift of today for it is precious, and one day you will desire the memories which only experience can bring.

Dear Alicia Marie, I could tell you everything that you're going to do in life, but I would never want to re-write your entire past because that is what makes you into the beautiful and talented woman you will be. Although, there are a few things I'd like you to know in order to save you some hassle down the road. You're not going to go to UCA to be with that one guy either. The Lord has a BETTER university for you to attend where you will meet friends who invest POSITIVELY into your life. In order to help yourself in the future, you must help yourself now. STUDY! STUDY! STUDY! Those three words will be something that you REALLY have to work at when you get to college, so LEARN NOW! Most of all, always cherish yourself! You are beautiful (inside and out). Sweet Alicia, just always remember that the Lord is there even when it feels like you're all alone in this world. He WILL see you through. Let him be the lamp unto your feet and the light unto your path and EVERYTHING will be OK because HE is in control.

There are many things that I would do differently if I were to do it all again. I would definitely learn to read ahead and study before you go to class in order to ask appropriate questions while the teacher is advising in the classroom. I would also look online for different ways to learn a particular subject in the event the teacher does not teach to my learning needs. Another important aspect of High School is to focus on practical situations where you would really use the knowledge. Any time you have a practical application of knowledge you will remember it more easily. If there is a subject that is not your favorite, put extra time into because it may be you learn differently and could love that subject if you truly understood it as others do. Everyone is different and each has their own strengths. Know your own strengths and weaknesses so you can get help in areas you may need and help others in areas in which you excel. Push aside competition and help others because a future boss will want a team player.

The most significant experience that I have had in my first of college would be learning to manage my time. Not only do I become overwhelmed with the amount of work my classes require, but I face the temptation to procrastinate. There is also quite a bit of free time when I do not have a lot of work on my hands. I have really learned the importance of setting aside certain time for studying, socializing and the other things that demand time. Being on my own and left with more responsibility as an adult, I have also taken on a job which requires much more time than I was expecting! The positive side of this is that I feel acomplished and more prepared now that I have learned the significance of good time management. College has always been a blessing for me due to the finances and more challenging education. It has been incredibly valuable to attend for both educational purposes as well as skills such as communication and leadership. My college experience is most definitely impacting my future plans in a positive way.

College has given me some perspective on what I need for life. Obviously when a person goes to college they should expect to work for their grade. What has helped me the most and what I am most thankful for is the opportunity for me to meet people and grow relationally. I lack in being a great outgoing person, but college has taught and is teaching me how to communicate with people. As I have gotten older I have realized that sometimes it is skill to be able to get along with people in any situation. Also, learning how to use the information that my professors give me and being able to apply it to life and the business environment has opened my eyes to my fields of study. The best thing about college for me then has been the opportunity to interact with different people. To be honest I could get a set of skills for a much cheaper price, but that robs me of the skills I need to operate with people in the real world. This is one of my greatest appreciations of college so far and I’m sure there will be much more to come.

I have found that you learn so much in college. Every experience will help you know how to act in the future. You don't need to be nervous; there are many people willing to help you along your way. There are a couple of things that you find out the hard way such as the importance of studying in advance instead of the night before. Since there was not much in the way of studying in high school, this will take some practice. Also, beware of the freshman fifteen. Fifteen may be an exaggeration, but you will gain weight after that cafeteria food if you do not work out. As far as friends go, make lots of them. It never hurts to be friendly and meet as many people as possible. Not all of them will be your friend, but some will, and it is always nice to have connections down the road. Sleep. Even if you must take naps, sleep will help you be healthy and keep your brain focused during the day. Finally, dating is new to you, so take it slow. Guys will fall for you, but that does not mean you must fall for them.

I was watching TV when, out of a flash, a man appeared. His ruggedly handsome face looked all too familiar, like looking in a mirror. “How you doin’?” he asked in a dreamy voice. “Is that… are you, me?" “I know what you’re thinking, I didn’t think we’d have time machines by now either.” “No, way! That’s…” “Sorry," he interrupted. "We only have a few words left. Time machines are rented per word spoken, and I could only afford 200. You should really consider another job.” “So you’re wasting our money on lame jokes?” “Whatever!” he said. “Look, I broke the bank to come back because… I know your dreams Levi, they were mine once too. I’m here to tell you, they’re attainable, but not for me anymore. I’m living the consequences of our decisions, our laziness, and it’s not what we wanted. College life is busy, but this is your time. Now, do you really wanna write that book?” I nodded. “Start writing.” With another flash he was gone. He didn’t say much, but it was all I needed. I clicked the TV off and grabbed a pencil.