Springfield, MO

Evangel University

« See more reviews of Evangel University

Living life as an seventeen-year-old senior in high school, I was shy and isolated sometimes, and big decisions were heading my way. I did not know what to do, but with the experience I have now, I would have told myself not to worry so much. I worried so much about my classes and my roommate liking me or not when I had not even registered for classes or met my roommate. I would have told myself to trust more in God, who knew what I was going through and knew the plans he had for me, and now that I am in college I see that everything turned out alright and that God gave me such marvelous friends and a great university where I would get the help I needed to pass my classes. I was so gullible to worrying in high school that I cried right before I came to Evangel, and I let Satan make me so scared. God turned my life around within the first semester, and I should have known that back then, but what is the fun of learning through experience if you know what will happen in advance?

If I could go back and talk to my high school me the advice I would give is that everyone is going through the same thing as freshmen. Am I going to get along with my roommate? Will I make any friends? Will I pass my classes? Will I LIKE my classes? Will the professors be tough? Will I like it here? Is this REALLY the right school for me? Whatever the answer is to any of those questions it doesn't matter. You're there. Be you. Go out for the intermural sports. Join clubs. Volunteer every opportunity you get. Talk to strangers. Make friends. Be a better you. There are tons of people, don't make time for those who don't treat you well or make you feel less than you are. If you have questions, don't be afraid to ask. Don't be afraid to try something new. Chances are you'll make new friends and have memories that last a life time. Make the best of your situation but don't take anything for granted. You are you and no one can take that away from you so embrace it and love yourself.

I have been a college student for one semester and I have already learned so much. I have learned how to cope in stressful situation, I have learned how to be independent being far away from home, I have learned what hard work is, and I have learned how to better my time. College is an extremely growing experience for an individual. I have learned a large amount of life lessons and also a lot in my studies. It is difficult to be away from everything you used to know so you have to learn how to be independent and you learn more about yourself. The most valuable thing that I have learned is to take one day at a time. This is the only thing you can do; I cannot stress out about my future and school work because that will not help anything. All I can do is everyday do the best I can and strive to become a better person and student. Becoming stressed just ways you down and makes everything more difficult. In tough times I have learned to take a deep breath and do the best I can do.

College is a time of change, regarless if you choose a college that is close to home. Your friends are going to leave you and you'll find yourself missing people you never even knew. Don't be afraid to get help; a lot of college students experience depression. You don't have to be afraid of change, though. I know there's a lot of pressure for you to choose the right school and major as if it will define your future forever. There is some truth to that, but a good majority of freshmen end up switching their major and still more transfer, and that's okay. Don't choose a college for the sole purpose of getting away from home and don't worry about the money. The right college is worth the debt, or at least I hope so. Stay undecided for at least freshman year. That will help you get your berings straight. You're going to meet a lot of new people. Some you will be instant friends with, and others will hate you for no reason at all. Stay true to who you are. Your future is bright!

If I were to go back in time I would tell myself one thing: stay true to yourself! College is a time where you are finally off on your own, making important decisions in life that will one day affect your future. By remaining true to who you are, so many doors can open and opportunities arise that not only strengthen you as a person but also help in self-discovery; sand further your hopes and dreams. Think of college as a clean slate, no one knows who you are or your past, this is a time where you can decide who you want to be. Getting involved and meeting new people is just the tip of the iceberg, so go out there and be social! You will not want to look back one day and think "what if"...so hold nothing back. LIfe is an adventure, live it to the fullest. You may be shy, have doubts, or wonder what people will think about you but in all reality it doesn't matter. My greatest piece of advice would be to step out of your comfort zone and enjoy the best 4 years of your life.

My college experience so far has been challenging, yet rewarding. My professors have pushed me to my max,:to study, to learn, to comtemplate, and to grow spiritually. Not settling for anything less than the best my studies will continue to be rewarding. Along with academics, comes the responsibilities I have come to have and understand. College puts you into the real world, both mentally and fiancially, and I have to come to realize that you no longer have that soft cushion. Attending college has given me some life long friendships, of course I still have good friends from high school, but here at college, some of my friends are different- they are there for me spiritually and mentally. Overall college has been very rewarding: I have become even more responsible. I am ready to face any challenge presented, this I believe is something that college has taught me. For this experience is different than just entering the work place or community college after high school.

When I was in High school. I didn't think that I would ever attend a university. I chose to not take the SAT's or the ACT's. That was a terrible choice. I did manage to make it into a university, however, SAT and ACT test scores are very important in desiphering what level of classes to take. I would have spent a little more time in learning how to write compostion pieces too. I have found out that there is a lot of writing invlolved in college classes. You need to be able to write fluently. College is also very expensive. I wish that I would have spent the time earning scholarships and figuring out how to pay for college at least a few years in advance. Now, I struggle with paying as my parents can not afford to assist me in college payments. Needless to say that I am trying to find a job, be a full time student and keep good grades as well as earn enough money to pay for school. It's tough, but stich with it, you can achieve anything you put your mind to.

After attending my college I have grown into a mature and responsible adult. I believe that if I had not attended college after high school , it would have taken longer for me to realize that I must work hard for things I want in life. I was just accepted into the dental hygiene program at Mohave Community College. I have worked hard to get to where I am today and it has not been easy. Once a year eighteen students are accepted in the dental hygiene program from all over the United States. Fortunately, I was accepted into the program the first time I applied. It has been valuable to attend college because it has given me so many life lessons that I will carry with me through out my lifetime. It has given me the privilege of being an educated person for which that has given me a higher self esteem. There are few things in life that can never be taken away from someone; one of those things is an education. That is why I believe attending college is so valuable.

I have absolutley enjoyed my college experience so far. I have made incredible friends that I will have for a long time. I love having the Christian atmosphere because others understand where I am coming from and some of the struggles that I have dealt with. Also I enjoy the small class sizes that enable the students to get to know the professors. The professors are always willing to help and make themselves available. the education that Evangel University provides will help me find a good job because I will be knowledgeable of my area of stucy. The professors also include faith integration into their teaching. They have helped me learn how I should integrate my faith into my future career. I have learned so much while obtaining an education at Evangel. One of the most improtant things I have learned is who I am as a person. Evangel University has challenged me to figure out what I beliive and why I believe it. I would not trade this experience for anything.

If I could go back in time and tell myself as a senior in high school advice about college I would tell myself to learn how to study better and how to manage my time. I would tell myself to not get anxiety over a big exam, to just breathe and take the test. I would tell myself to take easy and fast notes that I understand so I can study for. Also, being a college student you’re on your own and you don't have your parents by you the whole time. I would tell myself how to have good time management with homework, studying, working, hanging out with friends, and keeping in touch with my family. But the best thing that I would tell myself being a high school student is letting myself know that I will learn many new things about myself in college. I will be more independent . I will not be influenced by others but instead stand my ground. I will become a better person while being in college. I will tell myself college isn’t too bad as some people make it seem.