Springfield, MO

Evangel University

« See more reviews of Evangel University

I would tell myself that I need to learn how to study in high school so that when I get to college the first semester isn’t as hard. I would emphasize how the professors are friendly and there to help aid me in my learning. I might explain that you don’t need to know what you want to major in because you will probably change your major anyways. Don’t stress out over the little things and try to focus on the bigger picture. To remember that if you stumble and fall get back up with a smile on your face. I would say that having a social life while keeping your grades up isn’t easy but eventually you will learn how to balance both. I would put a strong emphasis on how important sleep is. I would tell myself that no challenge is too hard to overcome as long as you have God on your side. Always remember that eventually you will look back on these moments in college and miss them so enjoy them while they last.

Looking back on my senior year, I would tell myself to push harder than I had. I was satisfied with my good grades of "B+", but the future is always easier if we take advantage of every opportunity we are given in the moment. I would tell myself to not cut myself short when studying for tests and doing projects. Pushing me beyond my comfort zone of studying is what I would tell myself as a senior in high school. With is being senior year, everyone has that case of ?senioritis? and does not want to do school work at times, and I admit that it got to me on several occasions. On tests, instead of getting an "A", I got a "B" because I did not study as much as I needed to get an "A". Now that I am in college, I?m not making that mistake. I?m taking advantage of every bonus point and grade and pushing myself to study as much as I need to in order to become an all "A" student when I graduate college.

Knowing what I know now about college life and making the transition from high school, there are a couple of things that I would advise myself regarding. One of the biggest pieces of advice I would give to my high school self would be to not procrastinate in school and in studying for test. The principle of being disciplined and learning to learn is critical in having the best educational experience possible. Practically, your high school GPA, your ACT score and other key academic factors play a big role in your financial aid status, as well as determining what kind of colleges you can get into. Basically, academic scores and study habits play a vital role in your overall college experience. I would say to myself to not wait until the last minute to prepare for college, begin immediately to develop good study habits, prepare adequately for test, and do your best where you are currently at!

If I could go back in time to give myself advice, I believe I would advise myself to not be afraid to push my involvement and goals to a higher level. I have always been afraid of not being good enough, but that has held me back from pursuing opportunities that could have given me valuable experience for my future career. I also would have advised myself to start living on campus for my freshman year instead of commuting to save money. I finally moved in the campus dorms my junior year, and I have already made more close friends than my first two years of college. Saving money is not worth the lifetime friendships you will make, and commuting can make it difficult to be involved in school activities and special events. Ultimately, I would advise to jump in, and enjoy these last four years of schooling before venturing completely out on my own, which I feel is advice I am already taking.

Go for it! College life may be difficult and challenging at times, however it is rewarding beyond belief. A life without a college education may be a life full of regret and "what-ifs". A college education has expanded my horizons and has taught me that I am capable of more than I ever knew. There has been some rough times, but the great times have outweighed the bad. I have made relationships that will last a lifetime. My professors truly care about my success and encourage me to pursue my dreams. I have always had a desire to teach. After going through my college courses, I know now more than ever that teaching is what I am supposed to do. College has really expanded my knowlege on life, on the world, and on myself. There is no doubt that going to college is the right choice to make. The transistion of entering your college career will be tough and exciting. Enjoy every moment of it!

I never realized how important a college education was until I actually went through my first year of it. It was difficult transition from high school to college, but it was well worth it. I am very blessed to be able to take my education to the next level, and hopefully one day earn a better living because of it. I learned in my sociology class that the best way to become successful today is through education. People with a college degree typically earn more money in their life time and careers than people that don’t have a college education. College has opened my eyes to opportunity. I am now aware of fields of study and careers that I didn’t even know existed when I was in high school. College is teaching me to build relationships and a reputation that will lead to success. Thanks to the classroom and internships I will be better prepared for what the future holds.

Listen to your parents. You may not think that they know anything right now, but they have most of the beneficial information. When you get out of high school, jumping into a two year school is something to be highly considered. You are already in the mindset of learning, that will not get easier with time. It will cost you both time and money. Those may not be important to you right now, the future should always be considered. You can attend a community college for less money, and even take part time classes while you work along side of that. You always need a back up, you need plan b. The last thing that you want to do is find yourself stuck in a dead end job for the rest of your eternity. You need challange and to be able to fine tune your craft, be sure to keep those things state of the art. Knowing you, if you don't you will never truely be happy.

I've really enjoyed my college experience so far. I decided to finish my education in order to provide a better life for my family and myself. I am married and have three small children, and I want to offer them the best life I possibly can. I want to set a good example for my children, and I think me working hard to finish my education is a great example for them to follow. Neither of my parents attended college, and in my community, college was not viewed as a "have to do" thing. I would like to instill good work ethics in my children and teach them that getting their education is very important. I've had the same dead end job for 10 years, and I dont' want my children to think that settling for any job is okay. I want to be happy in my work, and I feel the only way this will be possible is to better myself, by getting my education, for a better job.

If I could go back in time to my high school self I would tell myself to not be so narrow minded about my beliefs, opinions, and people I surround myself with. College is about sponging up knowledge, culture, and different types of friends as possible and for the first year or so I surrounded myself with items already in my comfort zone. attending such a culturally diverse, liberal arts focused university has shown me all the incredible features that something different than what i am used to can offer. I know the old saying states that, "ignorance is bliss," but that is a copout! Evangel university has showed me the value of accepting every kind of orientation, culture, belief, background, and all kinds of people. we are all here with goals and dreams so why not help each other achieve those without barriers being erected because of narrow minded viewpoints.

If I could go back in time and tell myself some advice about college, I'd have a lot to say. First and foremost, I'd tell myself to take my studies seriously from the very beginning of the first semester. Instead of focusing on developing friendships and joinging clubs or groups, allow those friendships to develop naturally. Also, I'd tell myself that this isn't the end. It was really dicouraging for me when I first arrived to college, because I was constantly thinking of where I wanted to end up. in all reality, college is just a stepping stone into the future. God has so much more in store for me, and it's important to know that there's more to life than just now. Lastly, I'd tell myself that God is in control. Don't ever allow yourself to become so stressed out that you're unhappy; God has His hand on you and will never give you more than you can handle.