Springfield, MO

Evangel University

« See more reviews of Evangel University

The first thing I would tell myself is not to wait!! The best thing you can possibly do is go to college right after high school. It is really difficult to go back because technology changes very rapidly, so you find yourself having to learn that on top of everything else. Just do it-don't procrastinate. Going to college is something that gives you confidence and prepares you for the world. Listen to your parents if this is what they have been telling you because THEY ARE RIGHT! This is something you need to take seriously because it is your future, and you are paying for it. Get the good job after school, then you can afford to go do what you want and really live life to the fullest. I am speaking from experience-my college journey started late in life and I wish I would have done it a lot sooner- but it is the best thing that has ever happened to me!

I have recieved a lot from my college experience. I had never been away from home or family and I moved 9 hours away from home and family and have really had to grow up. I have learned to do things on my own and have been very successful. I got a job on campus and work along with taking 17 credit hours. I am very busy but love my life and can't wait to see what all is in store for me. I have developed many friendships and have had the opportunity to travel over Spring break to England . That experience will be one that I will never forget. My education is helping me in practical ways. I want to be a teacher and I have practical classroom experience two times a week at an elementary school. I feel like I have been able to see what all is involved in teaching and I feel much more confident that I will be a great teacher when I graduate!

I would advice myself to have more confidence. I was very insecure when I was younger and constantly felt as if I didn't measure up socially, professionally and physically. I felt as though I would never succeed in anything in life and was constantly worried that I wouldn't succeed in life. Looking back on it now, I realize that life cannot be measured in years, but only on a day to day basis and sometimes only in minutes. Worrying and stressing about years down the road will only empty today of it's strength. The key is just to take things one moment at a time and realize that everything falls into place. The things in life that work out are meant to be and those that dont you will always learn to live without. I would tell myself to relax, live each day as if it were my last and know that amazing thing are bound to happen in my future.

First of all, go straight to a university. Living on my own, working two jobs and taking 19 units in college is very difficult. Also, care more about school than friends. The majority of them won't be your life-long friends anyway whereas your education will be with you forever. Everything you do now will affect you for your entire life. Every assignment affects your grade. Every grade affects your GPA. Your GPA affects what schools you get into. The school you get your degree from affects how far you can go in life. Do every assignment the night it is assigned. It is a great habit to get into and it will come in handy in college. It is very easy to get straigh A's if you just do all the assignments. Do not hold yourself back because of social reasons. Reach for the highest possible goal because I know you can acheive it.

What I have gotten out of my college experience are the friendships and connections I have made with people while being here. I am very close friends with the girls on my dorm floor. The professors are always wanting to be friends with the students and get their imput about their studies and how the semester is going for them. There is a strong bond here, with both the students and the professors. The amount of students here is fairly small, so there are more opportunities to know everyone on the campus. Its not the type of college where there are so many people that you do not know half the students passing you by on the sidewalk. There is a strong tight-knit group of people at this college. We are all very close and we all care about everyone else. For me, the friendships here have been profoundly valuable to me.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself three things to do better on. The first thing I would say is to learn how to study. In high school I did not need to study and I did great. But in college you need to study to pass. Also another thing is I would tell myself to always read the readings given. Like studying, I would blow off the reading and still do great but in college it is different. Lastly, I would tell myself to learn how to listen in class and take good notes. In high school they gave us an outline of notes or a simple powerpoint. Here in college they just lecture and I need to learn on taking good notes. In conclusion, if I could go back in time and tell my senior self what to do better on for college it would be studying, reading, and good note taking.

I wish I would have known as a Senior in high school that college was honestly expensive and that I would not receive a lot of scholarship money. I have heard great stories about people going to school full ride or winning scholarships. I have entered many scholarships. I have written many essays and sent in my transcripts numerous times expecting a miracle to happen for me. The truth is, I was not that special person in any way. I have received scholarships from the school, but they have been really small and never from outside sources that I applied for online. My hopes were destroyed by the end of my first semester. I still question to this day why I cannot be the one to receive even $1,000 if not full ride or half off tuition. I wish I would have known the impact and burden that college tuition brings upon me.

To take your classes more seriously. You only have a certain amount of time to get things done and there is no time to full around. You have to know how to manage your time with your friends and with school work. You can have fun, but know that sometimes fun is not the option. This is your future that you are working towards and you need to buckle down and get serious because sometimes second chances is not an option. Friendships last for a lifetime, but know how to pick your closest friends because the friends you make in college are the friends you have in life. College is not a place to just have fun and be independent, its a place to be focused and responsible because your future depends on how you do in college. Make friends with your proffesors because you never know if you need them for a job reference.

August,23,2010 was my first year in college, and i have learned that in order to succed in life i have to be responsible and i also have to encourage my self to do what my teachers,parents and i are expecting from me to be succesful .my parents are not here to lead me by the hand anymore. it is very important and valuable to attent to collage, because i want the future that my parents had to work all this years for me. it is also important because i'm giving my sibilings an example of continued with their education because at the end that is for what our parents work for all this years ,and if we want to know what is life college is the perfect example for life buying expensive books,living alone, supporting ours selfs and the most important planning our future. college give us all this expirience of life.

If I could go back and tell myself what I know now through college experience, I would have so much advice. I would tell myself not to worry so much about what others thought about me or the things that I did in high school. Life is too short to be concerned with boyfriends and high school drama. Focus on friendships and find the people who truly care about you. Spend time with your true friends and family because they are the ones who will be there for you through thick and thin; and when it comes down to it, those are the only people you can honestly rely on. Don't settle for anything less than what you deserve. Try your best- know that if you give all you have, you have nothing to be ashamed of. Work hard, trust in the Lord, and pray about everything, regardless of how small the situation may appear