Springfield, MO

Evangel University

« See more reviews of Evangel University

The college life is quite different from school. I knew that I would be responsible for my own actions but I didn't know the extent that it would be completely up to me to get my work done. Also, the social aspect of college isn't something I was quite expecting, not fully realizing how close I would become with people in my classes and my residence hall. I have found my lifelong friends and love it. I would tell myself to prepare for studying many more hours than in hugh school and doing fewer worksheets, busy work is a thing of the past in college. I would also say, make sure you have some people skills, because there are so many people to meet, you won't remember every person, but they enrich your time away, support you in struggles and in the absence of family, and in general make life exciting.

Graduating form high school is a big change for all who have accomplished it. It is scary! You have to decied what it is that you want to do in life. One advice I would give my self as a high school senior would be not to worry. To trust God and know that his plan is perfect. That all things work for those who love him. I was very worried on decieding on the fact of leaving out of state for college. I am clad with the choice I made of staying home for two years. High school is more layed make. Only worries were grades. Now its grades, work, future...ect... Therefor I would advice myself to stay focus and give me more me time. Decied what it is that I love. Most importatntly would be to depended fully upon the Lord. Those are a few things I would remind and advice myself about as a high school senior.

My college experience has been one of challenges and strife. My college is over 1,000 miles away from home, and I came here knowing no one, being out on my own for the first time in my life Homesickness was the worst, and I just wanted to go home so badly. But the great thing about Evangel is that you are with 2,000 other students in the same situation. Through this experience, I have grown as a person, spiritually, mentally, emotionally and in so many other ways. I have become more confident and sure of who I am. I have been challenged and stretched intellectually, and have learned to learn in an entirely different way. My college experience has definitely been one of the pinnacles of my entire life, and I am so excited to see what my future holds for me, both here at Evangel and after college.

To the girl who will start college in just a few short months: don't be afraid to fall in love. Fall in love with new people. Fall in love with your studies. Fall in love with adventures. High school friends and memories are great but the only way to truly love college is to let go and be ready to meet new friends and make new memories. You've always been one to take academics seriously, but know you really do need to study. Put your whole heart in all you do. The only way you will be succesful is to live passionately. Keep vibrancy in your friendships and a passion for what you are learning. Don't be afraid to try new things and step out of your comfort zone. True growth comes from stepping out of your box. Laugh often, love deeply, live boldy. Don't forget what you're passionate about.

I would have told my high school self a few different points of advice. Firstly, I would have tell myself that I have ADD, and that I am not a bad student I just have a challenge to overcome! I wasn't diagnosed until after I completed some college. Knowing that I had ADD back in high school would have really made a difference in how I preceived myself and applied my efforts as a student. Secondly, I would tell my high school self to go back to college much earlier in life. While it's great going back to college at thirty years old, it is far more difficult to juggle my life and school now then it would have been back then. I would not give up my beautiful two year old daughter for anything, however if I had already finished college we would have a better quality of life now.

College can be very expensive. I would tell myself to learn to make a budget and really think about if I really need something. Yes, go out and have fun with friends, but make sure to have money saved to pay for school and emergencies. I would also tell my self to not be afraid. Step out and meet new people. Yes, I am shy, but after several years of college I finally just stepped out and made some wonderful friends. I love my friends oh so very much! One more thing I would tell myself would be to be organized. Set a time for homework and a time for hanging out with friends. Procrastination isn't the best to be practicing all the time. Here and there its not so bad, but it can be very stressful, which isnt good for anyone! Just have fun, but be responsible at the same time.

Learn how to priortize now while it's still easy. If you can begin to manage your time wisely in high school, managing your time in college will be ten times easier! Priorities and time management are the keys to enjoying college life. Make sure you get your work done. If you cannot complete your highschool work, your college work will be much harder than it needs to be. Get your work done early so you don't have to worry about it later! Have a solid set of goals. Know what you want to accomplish and then accomplish it! You don't have to settle for the average performance or achievement. But your dreams will only become reality if you make them. So work hard and dream big! You can do it! You just have to put your mind to it and your effort into it. Go get 'em, kid!

The first thing I would warn myself of is that NC State wont accept your application for the spring semester so you should try and apply for the fall and try applying to ECU or anywhere else at least for one semester. Second I would warn myself that the community college that I attend doesn't accept stafford loans so save up as much as you can to help pay for the semester. Finally I would tell myself that you can go through another semester away from your girlfriend, she will come see you and will help pay to get you to NC State so that both of you can spend time with one another. I would then tell myself that I don't need really nice things to be happy, all it takes is a little time and great friends and you will have all the happiness the world can offer you.

Don’t let anyone make decisions for you, but do seek advice from those who are in the position to give it. At the start of my college career, I didn’t know what kind of career I wanted to pursue. I let my friends decide which college I would attend and even what my major would be. At the same time, I was hardheaded and didn’t want to talk to an adviser. I have learned from my mistakes. I know now what great people are ready and willing to help me reach my goals. All I had to do was seek them out. College is no longer intimidating and confusing. It’s an opportunity to learn, grow, and improve upon myself, and I intend to experience as much as I can. A good friend of mine often says that college is wasted on the youth. I want to prove her wrong.

USE TIME MANAGEMENT. Oh my goodness, I can not stress this enough. As a high school student, I was able to slide through with really good grades and never put much effort into anything. That really got the best of me when I got to college. I didn't manage my time well, and when it came to my first test, I got my first C. It was a very eye opening experience for me. After that, I realized I never wanted to get such a bad grade again. College requires so much more studying and effort. Time management is key! My best friend since being in college in my planner. So, get a planner and start learning how to manage your time wisely before you go to college, because it will put you a step ahead of others who don't realize the importance of this.