Evangel University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Evangel University

Rebekah

Evangel University is a wonderful place to grow academically as well as spiritually. There are so many ways to get involved in campus life; the sense of community and campus family make Evangel a great place to call home throughout your college years. The faculty are so invested in each and every student's life, and the class sizes are very ideal.

Evangel University is an excellent choice for any student looking at possible colleges. The professors are readily available to help each student with homework, but they also care deeply about the student themselves. The various professors offer guidance and encouragement for every student, no matter the issue. The environment is welcoming and full of a number of activities: athletics, clubs, events, and chapels. Each student immediately falls in love with the atmosphere once stepping onto the quad and basking in their beautiful surroundings.

Anna

If you're interested in going to a Christian school where you can learn more about God, grow in your faith, and enjoy learning for its own sake, then this would be a great school for you! A lot of people I've talked to who dislike the school have problems because they aren't interested in the spiritual stuff, or get discouraged that they have to take a lot of classes (mostly Bible classes) that don't directly relate to their major. However, the people are fantastic, most of the professors want to see you succeed and are available to make that happen, the dorm life is great, the cafeteria food is getting better (and sometimes it's really good!), and it's a small enough campus (with friendly enough people) that meeting people with similar passions shouldn't be too much of an issue. There are a fair number of rules (like curfew for freshmen, a dress code, and co-ed dorm times for <10hrs/week) that not everyone will agree with, but for the most part people care about you and want to see you succeed.

Cory

I would not recommend going to Evangel University. Their care for their students stems from more of a balanced reciprocity, and they care more about their ideology of the Christian faith more than they do their students. You are paying more than what you are getting out of it, and you are not trained to succeed outside of the classroom unless you are going to be involved in the ministry.

Abigail

Evangel University is, in my opinion, one of the best Assemblies of God universities to attend. The professors here take time out of their busy schedules to meet with their students and encourage them. We are not just a number. The academics are top notch. We have the best and brightest professors here. There is a great social atmosphere and everyone feels welcomed. The students take pride in each of the doormatories. We have different events throughout the semester for the students to participate in. There are many extra curricular activities. From marching band to student senate there is something for everyone. We also have different sports teams. Football is the major sport here. Soccer is also a closely watched sport. Evangel offers many sport scholarships. They also offer different scholarships based on ones major and test scores. I love attending Evangel University and encourage others to look into it as well.

Caitlyn

Evangel University is overall a great school. At times, it may seem a bit legalistic with the various rules like dress-code or chapel requirements, but its true desire is to maintain high standards and a quality reputation. The people on campus are very friendly. The school intertwines religion and education in a balanced way; it is a great school to help you grow in your faith and strengthen your walk with God. The class sizes are small and the professors truly desire to know their students and help them succeed. The campus is well-kept; some of the dorms are a little old, but still serve their purpose. The amenities (such as the gym, field, etc.) are up to date and useful. While this school can be a bit expensive, it is a great private Christian college!

Aubrey

I am actually attending James River Leadership College which is a partnership between Evangel University and James River Church. I'll be earning an Associates Degree in Leadership. I absolutely love JRLC. I enjoy the small class sizes and intimacy it provides. Everyone knows everyone and treats each other like family. There is also plenty of hands-on experience through the practicums. Overall, it is a great school.

Elaine

Evangel University is a great place to be! We have small class sizes which allows us to become really connected with our great professors! Food and housing are good, and the faculty is always open to new ideas and constructive criticism. We have a greats sports program, and we exude tons of team spirit! Come join us!

Leianna

Evangel is an amazing school with incredible professors. The atmosphere is heartwarming and the people you meet change your life forever. I've been blessed to grow and have so many opportunities here that I've never dreamed were possible and it's only been my first year.

sarah

Evangel is like an ice-cream cone, let me explain. You see the excitement of getting ice-cream for me is great. This is similar to when I find out I got into Evangel. I was very excited and started planning right away. Once you get to campus their is an event called "Launch week" which is like freshmen orientation. This is like getting the ice-cream. Everything is nice looking and seems perfect. Now remember, everyone licks their ice-cream cone differently. You realize in college people will have different morals and values which will effect how they "do" college. This might get messy like an ice-cream cone. You might even regret getting the ice-cream cone. Some people get to Evangel and realize it is not the school for them. That is okay. However, when your done with the ice-cream one usually feels satisfied and wanting more. Every year I am at Evangel I go through a moment of "mess". It may be due to a teacher who does not seem to care, or the my room growing mold (nasty). However, the opportunities of getting involved and the relationships I have built leave me wanting more every year. It also should be known I love ice-cream and I love Evangel.

Keith

I am so excited to be attending Evangel University! From the moment I became interested, the admissions office has been in contact with me and extremely helpful in walking me through the process. The academic opportunities at Evangel are outstanding. I have had the opportunity to meet professors and it appears that they take an interest in not only helping students academically, but helping them grow as a person. The campus is small, safe and beautiful. I look forward to my journey at Evangel!

My overall opinion of Evangel is that it is a very welcoming community, whether it's the cafeteria workers, the professors, the residence directors, the students, the janitors, the campus pastors, residence assistants, etc. Everyone I have met so far is really awesome and I love Evangel so much. The professors have been amazing, especially during the corona pandemic. They have truly accommodated to every need and they are amazing. Evangel has responded well to the pandemic and has responded well to other events as well.

I highly recommend Evangel University for its quality academics, community-like environment, and personalized education. Professors are dedicated to teaching students valuable information and developing creativity and critical thinking skills. From the president, to the staff and professors, to the students, everyone is friendly and welcoming. Walking across campus, people greet you by name, whether fellow peers or staff members. The university cares about the individual student, not just about numbers. There are many free programs and services to help students succeed, like Student Success Center and the Counseling office of the Wellness Center.

Kendra

I love it at Evangel. I can honestly say if I did not come here I probably would have dropped out. The people are so friendly and welcoming, including the professors. I can truly tell that my education is important to my professors and they are not just here to get paid. They value me and want me to be equipped with everything I need so when trials come up in my life I can face them and excel.

Isaiah

I originally didn't want to attend Evangel University, but I'm so glad I'm here. I wanted to study Biomedical Engineering at Virginia Tech, but was denied admission. I decided to go to Evangel mainly because my dad went here. A week after I applied I was accepted, and a week later all my paperwork was processed. This was but a taste of my already great experience from Evangel. The students are amazing, the faculty actually cares and invests in you, the academics are topnotch, and the overall atmosphere is welcoming. After a year here, I can fully recommend Evangel University!

David

This school is really trying to have more good people come on board and bring back the glory days of Evangel when it thrived, however, the price and incentives for students are so low that only family of faculty or the absolute rich can come here. And the dorms are falling apart, personally my dorm room has had a whole in the wall since last semester that I packed obviously with duct tape; but the work order hasn't been filled. Also, during finals week last May, our entire hall was without AC because the school couldn't pay the utility bill. Furthermore, the athletic facilities are literally falling apart with health hazards and warnings all over the place in and around our lockers. However, I have met some very kind people here who help me forget all that bad jazz for a bit. I think it's a good place with potential, but I am looking to transfer because I see that there is a better opportunity for my degree program elsewhere.

Natalie

I have enjoyed my first semester at Evangel University. The housing and food is satisfactory. I love the English and Mudic departments. The Activities Bored at Evangel is exceptional. It seems as though there is always an event to attend on the weekends. Also, there seems to be an abundance of school spirit on campus.

Salty

Evangel University is great if you have no direction in life, and just want to feel things out in a Christian Environment. If you do happen to know what you want to do, too bad. The programs are designed to help the former. They deceptively cater to the minority, and instead of helping you achieve what you paid for, they con you into taking classes for subjects similar, but force you into their own ideals for your future. It's like if you said you enjoy writing, implying novels, but they make you write a textbook. They hold back your potential, just so the bottom of the bucket can also get their credits. While the degree of this happening varies from major to major, it has been expressed that it happens from music, to film, to science, and so on. If you are going for anything that isn't because it's explicitly Christian, go to community college and save yourself $20k a year. The only real upside is the people. There's a fantastic community. But you aren't paying for a social club. You are paying for an education. So get educated somewhere cheaper. You probably won't get it here.

Austin

Coming to Evangel University was my most exhilarating dream come true. I was afraid of finding friends, I was afraid of living away from home, and I was afraid of the school work. My fears were obliterated on the very first week. I found a group of friends that have strengthened me and encouraged me to do my best in everything I do. I would never trade them for anything. The community life at Evangel is unlike any I have ever seen anywhere. There is always a game to go to or a movie to watch, and there is always a group of people who will be happy to join you. Evangel introduces a certain camaraderie that is unheard of in other places. Wherever you go, there will always be someone walk by and smile or start a conversation. The people here are some of the most loving and accepting people I know of. The school work is satisfyingly challenging. When I have a question, I can find clear, honest answers. On top of that, the professors open every class with a short devotional and a prayer. If I am struggling with my school work or something in my personal life, my professors are always there with a prayer and biblical advice. Every part of who I am as an adult was molded by Evangel University, and I am forever grateful.

I cannot wait to attend Evangel University in the future! I have toured many times with my parents, who are both alumni. I cannot wait to call this place home, and see what my future holds on and off campus. There is many opportunities here, as well as, a personable and friendly atmosphere!

sophia

When I am on campus I feel loved and safe. Not only am I cared about by my friends but my professors as well. Evangel has provided me with friends and education that will last a lifetime. This school has become more than a college to me, it is home.

Samuel

I love it here. It provides a place for a Christian to fully develop into the man or woman God has called them to be. And this isn't just in ministry. Our arts and sciences have really gotten outstanding faculty who truly have the students' best interest at heart.

Cailey

Evangel is an amazing university that helps you continue your education and spiritual beliefs. Evangel has a beautiful campus and is very safe. Dorms are small, but you get to meet new people. The admissions and counselors are very helpful with getting started. Super friendly staff. With the smaller campus size, you have smaller classes. Amazing teachers that help whenever you needed. Just an amazing school, definitely a 5/5.

Faith

I love Evangel University very much. The professors really like to her the students out and get to know them. People treat each other like family and always lend a helping hand. The food is fantastic and made fresh, the restrooms are always clean, and the campus is super accessible for students with handicaps. No one is discriminated upon and all ideas are welcome.Anyone who goes to Evangel University will not be disappointed at all. The president of the college truly cares for each and every one of the students here at Evangel University and will listen to any student of faculty member to help when the rough times come. Every teacher has an open-door policy and is always there when a student needs them most.

Amy

A great, safe university to get your education and stay focused on God while living a healthy lifestyle. Advisors and teachers are very accessible and helpful. Upperclass students are role models to and eager to help underclassmen. Tuition is high, but the quality is worth the price.

Trey

I am enrolled currently in a 2 yr. program through Evangel at James River College. I will received my Associates degree here and then I can transfer to Evangel for half the cost by attending this 2 yr. program. I love the small classes and the professors are from Evangel. I am allowed to take some courses online to keep up with my busy schedule. I am apart of the worship practicum and love every minute of it. Very happy I made this choice!

Mark

As an alumni as well as a staff member, Evangel University is an awesome place to be. From the Facilities Dept. to the office of the president, to the students, you can truly sense the love of God on this campus. If you haven't been to the campus, you need to schedule a visit with our awesome Admissions team to experience how truly Evangel is.

Natalie

Evangel University is an amazing campus where everyone can feel welcomed. I am a transfer student coming to Evangel and I could not be more excited to be apart of this school. My sister is alumni from the school and I heard nothing but positivity about Evangel University. I believe that this school is a great college to get a fulfilled education from and even meet lifelong friends along the way.