Evangel University Top Questions

What should every freshman at Evangel University know before they start?

Bethany

I would advise myself to stay in my studies more. A social life is much needed but only okay as long as its not interrupting my studies.

Alexander

No one can change the past, but what you do will affect your future, and the future of those around you as well. Trust your gut and the guidance of those around you. Don't be afraid. Meet people and you will make friends. Stop knowing and not doing. DO!

Christer

I would have told myself to work harder in the class room in my AP classes. I also would have told myself to start saving for college while in school.

Molly

There are so many different ways to gain knowledge and to learn don't ever limit yourself. At times you might feel defeated maybe because of money, grades or who knows what but that is never an excuse to stop trying your hardest. By holding even just these few things in mind and moving forward in pursuing whatever education it might be that you want you will never regret learning. Remember if you have questions and don't understand somehting you are not the only one. So get out there and have no regrets about learning and taking the courageous steps in getting there.

Having strong academics is definitely important, but after two terms sit down and really think about which classes are making you happy and which ones are not. Just because you are good at something does not mean you have to major in it and interest is not as good as passion when deciding a career. Have some confidence in yourself and your abilities and do not pass up oppurtunities to learn more about yourself and what you really want out of life.

Joyce

I would tell myself work a little harder and get your GPA better than what it is, apply for as many scholarships as you can because you'll definitely need them and don't slack off.

Whitney

Most importantly, I would begin by telling myself to slow down. Life is not a race so stop living in the future and running on auto pilot during the present. As cliché as it sounds, you have to start living as the person that you already are and not who someone else wants you to be. I would tell myself that I will not feel whole again until I return to knowing and living for God as I had been the previous years before my senior year. Lastly, I would look myself straight in the eyes and let me know that I am loved and have much to offer the world.

If I could go back and talk to the Elizabeth as a senior, I’d tell myself to not be afraid to get involved. Getting involved is crucial in order to make the most out of college. Being far away from home, it’s easy to get home-sick. I learned the more involved I am, the less I’m able to focus on my homesickness. Another thing I’d tell myself is to not rush into a relationship once I get to school. Relationships can be a distraction when you’re in a new area with new people. I was overwhelmed when I first got to campus and rushed into a relationship to take away the pain I felt of feeling alone. When I was in my relationship, I loved it because I wasn’t focused on the stress of school. However, when the relationship ended, I had nobody because all my time previously was focused on the relationship. The absolute best advice I’d tell myself is to get involved and to not rush into relationships. Wait a semester to date because if you don’t, you’re going to realize how much you missed out on.

Britni

USE TIME MANAGEMENT. Oh my goodness, I can not stress this enough. As a high school student, I was able to slide through with really good grades and never put much effort into anything. That really got the best of me when I got to college. I didn't manage my time well, and when it came to my first test, I got my first C. It was a very eye opening experience for me. After that, I realized I never wanted to get such a bad grade again. College requires so much more studying and effort. Time management is key! My best friend since being in college in my planner. So, get a planner and start learning how to manage your time wisely before you go to college, because it will put you a step ahead of others who don't realize the importance of this.

Thania

To take your classes more seriously. You only have a certain amount of time to get things done and there is no time to full around. You have to know how to manage your time with your friends and with school work. You can have fun, but know that sometimes fun is not the option. This is your future that you are working towards and you need to buckle down and get serious because sometimes second chances is not an option. Friendships last for a lifetime, but know how to pick your closest friends because the friends you make in college are the friends you have in life. College is not a place to just have fun and be independent, its a place to be focused and responsible because your future depends on how you do in college. Make friends with your proffesors because you never know if you need them for a job reference.