Albany, NY
Excelsior College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Excelsior College

My classmates at Excelsior are diverse and unique, spanning across many different races and ages, and ranging from active duty military members to stay at home parents, from first time degree seekers to students seeking their second or third degrees - no two students are in quite the same boat at Excelsior.

To myself as a high school senior: You are so young, and you have absolutely no idea what you're about to get yourself into. Do not go to college simply because it is where your family and friends want you to go. Do not take out student loans like they're free money (they're not, and you have to pay those back someday). Do not waste time in school when you are unsure of what to do with your life; instead, take time off, find your place in the world, and then go back and pick a major you love. Sometimes what is normal or typical is not right for everyone, so do not be afraid to branch off from the beaten path and make your own. The transition to college can be scary, but it should not terrify you, and it should never make you feel like you don't belong - if something doesn't feel right, that's because it's not. Take your time in life, younger me, and you'll start to figure things out. You will never have all the answers, but you're getting through life just fine.

Excelsior College is an online school, meaning it requires a great amount of self discipline as you work on your own time and mostly by yourself. A student who cannot manage their time wisely and procrastinates often will not do well here. Students who are not familiar with how to navigate the internet and how tuse use basic computer programs, such as Word or Powerpoint, mayd struggle as well. Many of the classes involve weekly short-answer questions, forum discussion between classmates, and papers or essays; a student who does not enjoy writing may want to consider a different college.

Connor

If I could give advice to my pre college self, I would advise myself to re-take Intro. to Functions during your senior year and put more effort into the class. You're about to take College Applied Mathematics your second year of college and you haven't had a math class since junior year of high school, it's going to be tough. To take an AP class at high school to give yourself a better idea of how the college level of education would be like and to save money. I would tell my self to save more money through high school for college; college is as expensive as it's acclaimed to be. High school comes to an end before you know it and you will have to face the financial challenges that come with the education. Less free roaming at the mall with friends and driving around wasting gas just because you could. I would tell my self to start applying for scholarships now instead of waiting until your sophmore year of college. College is important and has it's challenges, so get ready.

jolene

I would tell myself to take the time to apply to scholarships, take the SATs, apply to the universities in washington state, and live in the dorms for at least a semester. I would let myself know that I would have the support and a higher chance of graduation on time with the support and like-minded peers if they were around me. I would also have great memmories of my college years if I immerse myself into college life.

anastasia

College is a proving ground, the speed and pace will surprise you, and as you move forward it will become more and more demanding, so start working on your confidence now. It will also be a lot of fun, so stay focused. Different professors will have different ideas of success, so learn to politic and how to listen very carefully from the get go, most will tell you exactly what they want, and your job is to give them what they need from you while getting what you need for yourself. You have everything you need even though at times you don't feel very well equipped, so don't let that feeling stop you from doing anything that you can imagine yourself doing. The future is real, and you're right at the crest of moving towards it in high gear. There is a lot of talk around you about what the word means and the best way to move into the "next stage", etc,.., and it seems vague and a little stressful without necessarily offering you any insight on the best direction to take, so I'll tell you - go forward.

Tionna

I love being able to finish school online. I work full time and this form of education fits with my schedule.

Education is the kindling of a flame, not the filling of a vessel. –Socrates I would ‘gift’ this quote to myself as a high school student taking that next step to college. I would tell myself that thinking positive is like a camp fire, the more wood you add to the fire the longer it burns. I would tell myself that positive thinking alone will not change my life rather it will keep the ‘motivational fire’ burning and keep me taking action toward the things I want in life. I would tell myself to set realistic goals. If I find some things like assignments difficult, then do not just give up. Instead seek help and set a deadline for the projects. Anyone can retain knowledge but it takes determination and a deep desire to stay motivated. I would tell myself that I only have one life to live and that I need to stay positive and add figurative wood and straw, i.e. goals, to my ‘fire of success’ to keep it burning.

Not being able to have that one-on-one time wit other students and my instructors.

Aubrey

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior and give myself advice about what to do to be successful in college, I would have so much to say. One of the things I would stress is not to let anything hold you back from your goals. My freshman year of college, I had the aspiration of being one of the top Cross Country and Track runners on the team, I was very far from that goal. The stress of struggling to complete those goals, and people telling me I couldn't do it drove my self esteem down into the ground and made me ready to quit. I realized later that in order to improve, I had to get all those little thoughts of doubt out of my head and start listening to the positive voice inside my head. If I would have gained this knowledge earlier, I would have been able to complete my goals. Another important lesson I learn that I would tell myself is to be your own person, don't feel like you have to follow crowds just to be cool. Be youself and follow what's right.

Harrisen

What I would say to myself as a high school senior would have to be balance your time. I would say to myself that you need to balance your fun time and your study time. Also I would have to say don't stress yourself out because expect that there is going to be a lot of homework and exams. Take a break to calm your mind by going out for a walk or have a small snack. Also I would have to say to myself that don't have too much fun because thatis not the true purpose of being in college. The true purpose of being a college student is to get an education and get a career. And finally I would say to myself as high school senoir that you need to thank your family because they helped you the whole way to give you a higher education.

Jeremiah

To work as hard as you can in college and stick with it. I could of been done by now but I had Army training and got deployed to Afghanistan.

This school is pretty much for anyone really.

That its online and easier for me to get a degree since I am in the Military and currently overseas.

Jane

My classmates at Excelsior College are extremly varied and diverse. Majority of the enrolled students are online so my fellow classmates are form all 50 states and beyond. Some are just out of high school and others have lots of real world experience.

The unique aspect of Excelsior college is that is primarily an online school, which has many benefits and some cons. However, the staff at Excelsior is always welcoming and willing to answer any questions. The genuine caring of the staff is what makes Excelsior College truley a unique experience.

If I could go back in time and give myself advice as a high school senior I would say many things. One of which is to live your life to the fullest, but make it mean something. Study hard and enjoy your family. College will give you the education necesary to graduate classes. However, succeding in life is up to you. If you want to have a good career, a house and a family you must work very hard to obtain your goals.

Paul

Older more mature individuals are able to focus on their education on their needs.

Excellent external degree programs and distance learning programs for working adults. The focus is on the students ability to tailor their program and learning to their personal needs.

I joined the US Navy after high school. I believe that high school seniors should live a little an be responsible for themselves before they go to school. A year or more in the work force make the individual student appreciate college more and perhaps focus more seriously on their education.

• $0

Excelsior College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.