Albany, NY
Excelsior College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Excelsior College

Marvin

I have learned so many things from my college experience. I learned that to survive in college you must have a strong will to learn and lots of concentration. You have to learn to not fall asleep even if the stuff bores you. You have to learn to take in things not just by doing them but by seeing and hearing them. This experience has helped me further my goals in becoming the first of my family to get a college degree. From this I know I can maintain myself and in the future a family. College is hard but well worth the time and money spent.

Zula

Excelsior College is best known for its exceptional educational programs, including associate, bachelor, and master degrees that can be completed completely online. It is also known for accepting up to 120 transferable credits from other accredited colleges and universities. Plus they accept credits from all Clep and Dantes credit by exams. This is what first attracted me to this school. I was diagnosed with schizophrenia in 2008. I wanted to finish my degree, but could no longer drive to class. This is not a diploma mill, but recognized accredited online college where I could receive an undergraduate degree in biology.

By attending Excelsior College, I have received knowledge of not just biology, but of all life forms and scientific investigations, from introductory biology, to biodiversity, to genetics and microbiology. In July of 2008, I was also diagnosed with schizophrenia. My sister and grandmother became my sole providers. I was not able to work, drive a car or attend school due to the heavy doses of medications. But I continued to earn credits through Dantes credit by exams. I could not find a job because I live in a small town in eastern North Carolina and I no longer had a car. So I decided to go back to online school, and get a degree in biology, which is perfect for me because I love science, have a lot of biology courses, I don’t have transportation to go to traditional classes and it cost a lot less to attend many online colleges. Excelsior College was perfect for me because I could attend class any time, day or night, and I don’t need a car to get to class. I am dedicated to finishing my undergraduate degree; I am currently in my senior year and have a 3.8 GPA.

Before coming to this school, I wished I had known how many upper level credits were needed for graduation. Excelsior College offers many programs to their students, from business, to nursing, to liberal arts degrees. I am in liberal studies; Excelsior College offers a liberal studies option that requires 6 upper level credits and a major option that requires 18 upper level credits within one subject area. But both require a total of 30 levels of upper level credit at the junior and senior level. This was very confusing to me when I first came to the school.

Lisa

My college experience has taught me how to be disciplined but yet flexible. As a single mother of three children I have to be flexible with my time between school, work and taking care of them. I have to be disciplined to accomplish my work. I have no deadlines for finishing any of my courses, so if I'm not disciplined my courses will never get completed. It has been a great experience for me returning to school after tens years. It has been an huge transition now that I am older and have other responsibilities. It is valuable for me to attend college so I can obtain a degree in nursing. I am currently a fire fighter/paramedic and want to expand my capabilities of helping people. I love helping others ! College is valuable because returning to school has made me make time to read books again. Thus making me think and reason more. It has increased my knowledge base and given me essential skills to prepare me for my future endeavors. Without this experience I would be unable to achieve my goals of becoming a prehospital registered nurse.

I love that I am able to do my courses online. As a single mother of three children, it it extremely hard to take time to sit in a class. It allows me the flexiblity to still work and attend school on my own schedule. Even though I am taking online classes I still have the support of the academic advisors just as if I'm sitting in class. They are available at any time if you have questions or need support.

If you are taking the online courses you have to be a dedicated person. You have to be responsible and flexible. You also need to be a determined person, determined that no matter what you are going to get your work done. It takes a lot of discipline to take online courses. No body is going to stand over top of you and push you to finish your course. You have to be able to read your books, study and take your exams.

"Stop, take a few steps back and a deep breathe. Look into this mirror...this isn't you. Happiness doesn't come from that bottle in your hand or that light at your lips. I miss that smile of yours. Where did it go? I saw it on the court this past fall, when you were with your team...why did you let things change? You are trying to hide the hard stuff, I can see that. But you know, it's not as hard as you think. You have this built up image that 'this year is the end, so go out with a bang!' Little hint...it's not. This is just the beginning. These people are just as scared and anxious as you. So set that bottle down, pick up your bag and get in there...You'll regret it if you don't. I have faith in you, so do your family and friends. We've always seen the potential. The only one who refuses to see it is you. " P.S. Practice starts Tuesday at noon...I hope to see you there

Joyce

Take your time if needed, but never lose sight of the dreams and goals that you have. Nothing comes easy in life, but the pride and sense of accomplishment that you feel when you are finished will negate all of the worries that you hold today. You should never close your mind to change, because you never stop growing and learning. Be prepared to embrace the change and learn from it, knowing that as we grow, so do our hopes and dreams.

Going back to school, I am learning new things, meeting new people, facing new challenges, and obtaining new skills that will increase my work-force and personal value. My children and friends are proud of the work that I am doing, which helps inspire them and me to do our best and never give up on dreams.

I am finally obtaining the goal that I began so long ago and have a great support network of not only my family and friends, but the staff in the school.

Lawanis

I would tell myself to party less and study more...

I would tell myself to party less and study more...

Can not thing of anything bad, but it is hard to do self study/exam based courses. I would like to see more online nursing courses instead of exam based.

A person who is serious about earning a degree and who does not have the time to sit in a class room.

erick

Pursuing a bachelor's degree is necessary in life today. In today's world having a degree simply put's you in the arena of life. Once you've obtained a degree you are now eligble to enter the arena of life. A college degree doesn't make you successful, but allows you now to compete with the other players in the arena. A college degree doesn't guarantee you will win the arena game of life, but your now equal to the other players. Without a degree you aren't allowed to enter the arena, because you don't have the "ticket"- the college degree. Most companies today require that you have at least a bachelor's degree and many companies now require a master's degree. Don't severly limit your potential of success by not pursuing college. Prove to yourself that you can succeed at the game of life by getting your degree!

Excelsior college allows you to reach your full poential . Excelsior College is dedicated to working with important groups like our active military and returning students. It is important to recognize that many students today are part time students that are working full time. Excelsior College is a great school that offers flexibility and encouragement to work toward the very difficult goal of pursuing a degree while working full time.

That the school is in New York and I live out of state. It's hard to remain focused on continuing to take courses while working full time and having the duties of a family.

• $0

Excelsior College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.