Fairleigh Dickinson University-Florham Campus Top Questions

Guisha

Prepare financially because college is very costly. Apply to as many scholarships as possible and find ways to aid you financially through college. I would tell myself to prepare mentally and emotionally. College can be a very stressful time. I would also tell myself to be more organized and well planned, This helps keep your busy colleg life on track and less stressful. Don't try to remember everything because it is close to impossible instead get a planner. Work on time management. College does not only include academics but also being involved in your college community. Lasly stay focused on your goal.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself "it's okay." It's okay to be scared and it's okay to take a leap of faith. I would tell myself to focus and to not let anything around me get in the way of what I want to succeed in. I would tell myself that I, above everyone else, have the power to make my own decisions. I would tell myself to relax before making any big decisions. I would tell myself to never give up and to always consider every option. I would tell myself what I tell myself everyday..."Work hard, be smart and go get 'em."

I would say to START EARLY. I would literally shake myself by the shoulders and scream this in to my own past self's face. DO NOT WAIT. START LOOKING. ONLY GO WHERE YOU TRULY FEEL RIGHT GOING. I would be sure to include that I have transferred twice and that I have attended three colleges. I would also make it very clear that going far away to college is not what makes the experience, but rather, what you make of it does. I assumed the adventure and the college experience would only be valid if I went somewhere far. I was painfully wrong. Past Sam, listen to these words. It could save you a whole semester of horrible experiences.

If I could go back in time and speak to myself as a high school senior with the information I have now about life and college, I would tell myself to be more open. I would tell myself that I can get past the anxiety I felt about college and leaving home. I would want myself to look into more colleges and open my mind to other ideas. I would want to expose myself to more options and not just go with what felt comfortable at the time. I would tell myself to think thoroughly about my decision and not just jump into a school or plan. Lastly, I would tell myself to follow my heart.

Gary

The advice I would give myself would be to apply for more scholarships and to become more interactive with my classmates. As a high school senior I didn't apply to many scholarships and now its affecting me as I am going into my college sophmore year. I would tell my high school senior self that scholarships are a great way to pay for school and it would help out in the future. I would also be more interactive with my classmates during high school because now we have all gone our separte ways and rarely see each other. Its good to make friends in your college, but it would be better if I would be able to check up on some high school friends that are attending colleges in other states.

Jeyleen

First thing is first, go to bed early! Do not stay up and watch "The Voice", you will not wake up too happy or on time in the morning. Going over your notes everyday is a must. Cramming everything a few days before the test just sets you up for failure. Another important detail to keep in mind is always have breakfast; even if it's just a granola bar. The vending machines don't provide a great and healthy breakfast. If the professor is okay with it, use a recorder. When you listen back on it, you might catch something you missed in class when not paying attention. On that note, always pay attention! Try not to get distracted. Turn off your phone while in class or silence it. Professors get irritated and it's rude. Also it breaks concentration. Just keep these tips in mind and college me will do great.

If I knew then what I know now, I would tell myself a few things. I would say do not be afraid, you may not know a lot and it is a new field, but you are going to school to learn. Visit Aunt Nora May before you leave for college because you will not be able to say goodbye. Be strong when she dies and when Kenny's (my fiance) grandfather dies. Another thing, do not let the guys push you around. Just because you are a female in a male dominant field does not mean you are incapable. Also, when Kenny asks you to marry him, put money aside right away for the wedding. With it only being six months off, money is going to get tight. Plus, when everyone leaves when you start school do not feel so bad about crying. You will cry about once a week over home sickness and the hardships you face. Even when the times look bleak, always have faith and rememebr this is only a small step to your future. Finally, you are going to be fine and you will be amazing!

As a commuter in this College. I would advise my younger self to go out and find a job as well as don't waste money. College life is expensive and money is very important. As a person who has financial issues, I recieve scholarship and grants but that is still not enough. Finding a job and saving money to pay for textbook and tuition that financial aid doesn't cover is something I must consider. The first year of college is pretty relaxed and it is easy, but it gets harder as the courses advances. Except for English, never forget what is learned in high school, a lot of information learned is useful. Last of all. time management is also as important. Being able to manage your time for class, homework and job as well as sleep would be beneficial. Good luck, and have fun.

I would tell myself that there is nothing wrong with a community college. I was so biased when making my decision. The factor of money never came up. I could have saved a lot of money by spending two years in a communty college. I would tell myself exactly how big a role money plays. I had to give up dorming, and I an constantly struggling to try and find loans. I would tell myself to try and stay calm during all the stressful parts and to not bring that stress home to your family. Overall, the senior me would need to understand the true value of a dollar. I question everyday if I will be able to continue going to school, and I wish I had more realistic views before I made my college decision.

irma

I would recommend getting more involved in community activities early on. Join extra curricular activities in HS also. This way, when you get to college you will have no reservations about joining college clubs or groups. They make the transition easier because you get to meet others.

Shanece

I would have advised myself to get more involved in clubs in order to meet people, as my shyness sometimes makes it difficult for me to adjust to new people. I would have advised myself to manage my time efficiently and to not procrastinate. If I need to lock myself in the library in order to study than that's what I must do. Which brings to light, MAKE USE OF ALL THE RESOURCES COLLEGE PROVIDES because they are all helpful. I would have ESPECIALLY encouraged myself how to properly eat before I began college. Like many other students, I relied on meals provided by my mother. But when you live on campus, you must now make healthy food choices for yourself and learn to also cook up a few basic things for your survival. Exercising also falls into this category of advice. Another big one for me is to take advantage of Extra Credit opportunities always because they can make the difference between an A and A+. Never think you are way above that. Another pointer? Form relationships with your professors because you will not only gain knowledge but they will be there to help you find work.

I would encourage myself to step away from being the wallflower and join clubs and attend more events on campus. Education is very important when attending college but so is meeting others and getting involved. Becoming involved may help you find who you are, what you want in life, and meet friends. I would remind myself to stay focused on my future, be aware of my feelings, be receptive to others, ask for help, and stay organized. I would also remind myself that this is the beginning; the beginning of my future. I should look forward to what is to come my way and not worry about what that may be, rather take it in stride and learn something from each day.

Almost as if written in pen, one cannot erase mistakes but can start on a fresh piece of paper. As life moves forward, the sand in the hourglass slowly trickles down leaving us with a limit on time, and no option to regain what one has lost. Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending. As one grows, they must learn from their mistakes and experiences. During my college experiences and transition, I would give myself the advice of "try new things, experience what else is out there." I personally went to college close to home my freshman year. I was accepted to Coastal Carolina University eleven hours from my house, and I was scared to take that step and live on my own, so I enrolled at Fairleigh Dickinson University, an hour away. My sophomore year, I took that challenge and lessons learned and I transferred to Coastal Carolina University for the Fall semester. I would tell any high school juniors and seniors to start college searches early and to not be afraid to take that step away from home. Create your own journey while your still young.

HelenMarie

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself to try to talk to more people at orientation and to make friends. Although I made friends once my freshman year started, it would have reduced the stress of coming into the school knowing no one. I also would have told myself to research a little more the different clubs available on my campus since now as an incoming junior there are still many clubs I am just learning about.

soraya

I would tell myself that college is not a big deal like High School makes it and that no matter how the journey is it pays off in the end.

I've learned to come out of my "box" & try new things. I've met people I would have never met before or even thought of talking to. With college, come new changes u have to learn to accept those changes & realize that there are a whole lot more people out there then in your town or state that are just like you or even different. Meeting new people helps you to better yourself. If you can learn to get along with everyone you can get out or in to any situation. I know now that no matter what career to go into I will have the ability to get along with everyone.

Manuel

So far my college experience has been one that i will never forget. I love waking up in the morning, driving to school, going to to soccer practice, attending class, then hanging out with my friends. I would not trade my experience in college for anything. I also have potentially met the girl of my dreams at school. Having attended Fairleigh Dickinson University has not only prepared me for what lies ahead but has made me turn into the man who i am today.

Alexa

I have learned to be more independent and to make choices for my future . I now make my own decisions and have to adjust to a very different lifestyle and daily schedule. I was used to having my own room and my own space, now that I have a room-mate, I have to be more considerate to her class schedule and wishes. You have to learn to compromise. By staying on campus and not commuting, you get to know more people that you would not normally meet and attend college functions. The food is adequate but I would like to see a variety of foods, and not the same kind every day. Changing the menu more often might help. I am so happy that I have the opportunity to stay on campus and to experience college life. I want to further my education and become a radiologist assistant and by attending FDU, I can do that.

Leanna

As an honors student and creative writing major at Fairleigh Dickinson University, I have had the opportunity to interact with the highly motivated creative writing department faculty on a personal basis. This particular department, with their passion for writing, are dedicated to creating an environment that is conducive to the creative development of their students. Not only do they engage students in class, but I have been able to email each of them personally and they are very encouraging--especially by inspiring me to break through my perfectionistic fears and create something organic; something real. Over the past three years, I have gained so much more confidence than I ever dreamed, and have enthusiastically taken on more leadership roles than I would have ever considered in high school. I am the secretary of Sigma Tau Delta English Honor Society (FDU chapter); Assistant Editor for the dynamic, student-run Sphere Online Literary Journal; and a member of the Rotaract club. In the spring, I will attend Wroxton College in England for the entire semester, and plan to intern there over the summer. I've dreamed my dreams and formulated my goals. Now, it's time to make them reality.

Rachelle

I am currently going into my first year of college, however I did take college course classes in high school. I believe that it'll be valuable for my to attend college however by insuring myself with the skills and knowledge to find my dream job and create a stable lifestyle after I maintain the skills and knowledge in my major.

Hello, my name is Erica Ames, I graduated from the University of Maryland in 1999. I have returned to college after ten years to pursue a nursing degree because I love helping people, and my older sister has MS. I would like to use my degree to help my sister and others with disabilities. Furthermore, what I have learned from my college experince in the past and present is number one diversity. When I say diversity I mean learning about other students cultures, which is very interesting. Learning how to manage my time, meaning planning study time; that is very important to me. It is very important to schedule study time, so that I can continue to be a B-A student. I enjoy learning about the anatomy and science classes in general. I pray this award is awarded to me become really want to become a nurse. I have helped the MS Society of Md., raise thousands of dollars toward research for this terrible disease and I will continue too! Therefore, college life is a wonderful learning experience.

Shanece

Out of this college experience I've learned that no matter how you took your education in your previous years (High school and before), whether you were a C student ,B student or an A student, College is the opportunity for you to start fresh and to start new. I say this because I was always a B student but wanted to be better and I saw many students waste their talents and opportunity to shine. Never be content with average when you know you can be above average! Do it for you, noone else & be confident in yourself! You begin really part of your future in College and you will realize what your full potential can be. It becomes essential to do well and to stay true to what you want. Don't become distracted by nonsense and people wasting their education just to have a good party! (I'm starting to sound like my parents but it's very true) Tell yourself, "I didn't come here to play around, I came here to get down to business!" Stay true to this and it will take you places you never thought you could be. Be open to "Better"!

I am the first in my immediate family to go to college. My college career, is still not yet complete, but has been very rewarding. I have grown as a person and learned to be more mature. I now attend Fairleigh Dickinson University which is a small campus. I love being able to walk around, see professors, and have them know exactly who I am, and be willing to go over that assignment that I may not fully understand a little more. I have gotten so much out of Fairleigh a semester in that I am eager to see how much more I will be able to learn and grow before I graduate. Upon graduation I intend on working with mentally handicaped children, and I am confident in knowing that my current school will fully prepare me for that.

In order to make friends, you have to be a friend. The people you meet in college will be lifelong friends, but you have to put yourself out there. The way to meet people is to open up to them and make yourself available as a friend. When you?re far away from home, make a new home. The only way to feel welcomed and at home in a big University, is to make your niche. Get involved in an organization you are passionate about. There is safety in numbers. Never leave a friend behind, and never go somewhere at night alone; ensure your safety at all times. Go to class, and study. Do not waste the opportunity you have to make the best for yourself and prepare for a future that can be lucrative and successful. The ultimate piece of advice that I learned with growing older is to live every day like it is your last. I made it through college, and after having minor medical problems all throughout, I was diagnosed with a type of brain tumor and had brain cancer. Every student should embrace life to the fullest they possibly can.

I would give myself a few wise words of advice. First, and most importantly is to live my last year of high school to the fullest, to take lots of pictures, and instead of stressing about the future, to live in the present because you can never experience High School again. Secondly, I would tell myself that what ever decision I make for the future, is not set in stone. Going to college is not an ending, but it is more like another chapter in the novel of your life and you need to finish one chapter before you can begin another. Thirdly, I would advise myself to save a little more money as a High School Senior, since things are handed to you more easily on an academic level in high school, and it is hard to make the transition to college. Lastly, I would tell myself to make sure I spent time with my Family. Personally, I am the oldest, so leaving for college was a very hard transition for my family to make, as well as myself. I would tell myself to appreciate and value the time I had left at home with them.

I would tell myself first not to worry so much about the social aspect of high school, because your real friends, the ones you will have for life you will make in college. Instead of worrying about being "cool", focus more on studies and gaining scholarships, because life as a college student is tough financially. Also pay close attention in classes, because the things you learn in high school really do carry over to college and it is important to make the right decisions while you are young. When you arrive at college, be excited it's the best time of your life! Make sure you work a lot in the summer to give yourself enough spending money. Your dorm room becomes not only your bedroom, but your kitchen, living room and anything else you can think of, so keep it clean! Finally, enjoy.

Taryn

Don't be afraid to get out of your room and get to know people. They aren't as scary as you think and can help you in the long run. Join more clubs, be more active on campus. You'll be happier for it because you'll be busy planning things, which you love to do, instead of sitting alone in your room. Plus, you won't be kicking yourself later on for not having more clubs and experience to put on future school applications! You may be upset you didn't get the school you really wanted, but this is going to give the oppuritunity to try out more things and meet some cool people. Take the chance to really see the world from a different point of view, and apply for more internships. It will help you out in the long run. And do not invite two girls who live in Park Ave to join your group of online friends. It will only end in tears, trust me!

I would tell myself to get over the bad habit of procrastinating. It can really get out of hand in college, and it really does nothing but harm you to put off assignments. Also, I would tell myself to get out more and get more involved in what my school has to offer. Basically break out of the shell that you've been living in for the past four years and be who you want to be.

I would tell myself to be ready to open up to new people and a new environment. Being in college isn't just about learning new things but finding out who you are and meeting new people. The environment is completely different from high school and allows for more independence from family and people you've known your entire life. It's time to put yourself out there and try new things, join new clubs/activities, and really be involved. No more procrastinating or slacking off in class; it's a new time to start fresh and do well. Be aware of what you're learning in school and your surroundings. Know that what you learn in high school is like the basics and there's good reason to know a majority of it. College pushes you just a little bit more into the real world, and it's a chance to take responsibility of your own life. After high school, it's time to take things more seriously and know that this is not just about having to go to school but also about your future.

evan

The best advice I could offer would be yourself. Take your time and meet everyone on campus. First, you should lay concrete groundwork with your grades the first semester or two then start getting involved in clubs and social organizaton. It need hurts to plan a layout for your college career. And always do what you want to do in college; its your experience no one elses.

Deirdra

If I were to go back and talk to myself as a high school senior. I would tell myself to put myself out there more. Meet more people and start my life over. Also, get to know my professors better, because professors will help me in more ways than one. Don't skip as many classes, and make a spread sheet to organize my time. Make more time for class work and studying. Go out with my friends more. College isn't just about work, it is an important time to socialize and network with people. Also, networking is so important to my major, Hospitality, so I would tell myself to network more with everyone I met or could meet.

Luis

I did not know what to expect my first semester in college other than the obvious studying more frequently. Rather than telling myself what obstacles to expect in college, I would tell myself how to overcome these obstacles. The most difficult obstacle I was facing in college was learning how to study. After recieving grades for some of my exams, I realized that the same study method I used for high school, such as studying a couple hours a week was not working in college. I would tell myself the same exact method I used towards the end of the semester. I would tell myself the schedule I used, such as, studying immediately after classes ended from for 2p.m. to 4p.m. and early in the morning from 5a.m. to 7a.m. The schedule in the afternoon helped me because I was able to study in the library at campus rather than the loud one near my house and in the morning I was able to study at home quietly without distractions. If I knew this method in high school, I would have done a much better job in college at the start of the semester.

Surprisingly, college life was easier to adapt to than high school was to live through. It is more relaxed because I have more freedom in my daily activities and in my academic schedule. As much as I love college however, I would want to let my former self know a few things. As important as high school friendships seem at that moment, not many of them last beyond graduation, but keep the ones you know are worthwhile. It's simply part of life that one gets adjusted to. One learns grow and mature. with more responsibility You begin to find your true self, as well as some of the strongest friends possible, if you know where to look. It allows you to break out of the clicks and stereotypes. so there is no pressure in presenting yourself a certain way. If your old dreams and ambitions fade, it's okay as long as you find new ones that are truly worth pursuing and will bring you happiness.

I would tell myself to get into the habit of studying more while I was in highschool because a lot more time is dedicated to studying in college then I EVER did in highschool. Highschool was a breeze for me and now I work my butt off to receive the scholarships I get, to keep up my honors GPA, to get that job offer right out of school. Time management is a skill that every college student should perfect and I absolutely wish I had started acquiring that skill earlier on in life to be better prepared for the necessary time and effort in the future.

Davone

Dont grow up too fast, enjoy living with no worries. You have your whole life to party, stay focus. Dont believe the movies there are no crazy orgies. Be your self and to hell with anyone that has a problem with it.

Dayna

Ensure you remain dedicated with a clear objective and goal in mind. Work hard and remain focused on schoolwork. Allow time to meet new people on campus and enjoy your college years. Make new friends and create lasting friendships. Network with students, faculty and professionals on-campus to allow for greater opportunities in the future. Develop a plan for furthing education and study hard to achieve that plan.

I would tell my self to keep my priorities in check. Just because i don't have mom around to make me go to school I should still go to classes. And also i would tell myself not to procrastinate, and get things done last minute because i chose a party over my school work. I must admit i started off well. I had a 3.1 my freshman year first semester. It's the second semester where i guess i got too comfortable and messed up on alot of my courses. My gpa dropped tremendously to a 1.7 leaving me with an overall 2.5. All throughout high school i had a 3.8 and i don't know what happened when i got to college. I was so disappointed in myself, but no worries this year as a sophmore i learned so much and i've got my act together. Getting all A's and B's so far i cant wait to see what my GPA will rise to. :)

If I had to give myself advice to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself not to be worried about impressing people and just be yourself and you will meet awesome people. I would also mention that I should try to get involved more during m first year at school so that i can meet new people and expand my social network to include outside the group I have now.

Kearstin

I would advise myself to go to a community college and save the money spent on a Bachelors degree. It is smarter to save the money during undergraduate studies if you plan on pursuing a graduate degree. It is very expensive to complete an undergraduate and graduate program.

Visit every college while there are still classes going on and students are there, talk to a random few (use your instinct to pick out which ones look more dedicated to their academics than others, they can still tell you plenty about the social life).

Sylina

An important factor in choosing a college is choosing one that fits you, not one that gives you the most money. Many friends that I have known choose schools based on money only to transfer out of the school because it does not suit them. The best way to choose the school is to let the school speak to you and this can only be done by going to the campus for a visit. The students need to be outgoing and wander around the campus while interacting with students and faculty. By doing so, you will be able to know if the school is for you. The students and parents need to also understand that the tour guides are suppose to only tell you the positive points of the campus, thus you need to wander around campus and intermingle to see what the campus has to offer. The environment of the campus is a big part of the student's life while in college, so the student should feel comfortable at the school. As a result, the parents should give their children the option to go to faraway colleges so the children wil be able to find their own niche.

Melinda

Answer the question, ?Why am I going to college?? and make that your goal. Imagine your ideal college experience then chose the college that fits that description. Take at least one extra class each semester. Set clear goals for each class. College is all about self-discipline and doing thing on your own, on your time, your way. Get an early start to each day. Learn material the very first time it?s presented. Master advanced memory techniques. Visit campus and ask a lot of questions. ? Explore colleges and majors that match your skills and interests. ? Don?t rule out schools because of cost. There are lots of financial aid that might be unknown to you. ? Be aware of dates and deadlines ? Think quality, not quantity. When it comes to extracurricular activities. Have some serious fun! Take a good look at yourself. Admission counselors look closely at your letters of recommendation and personal essay to get a better feel for who you are. Be prompt. Give your teachers and counselors plenty of time for recommendation letters ? don?t ask them the week before application deadlines. Choose wisely. Ask teachers who teach or work in fields where your principal interests lie.

erika

First and foremost, inorder to enjoy the college experience it is ideal that one would not have to leave before graduating due to lack of funds. Making sure that the tuition fits into the family budget is most important. Also, visiting the school before making the decision is a must. Certain times a person will enter the campus and get a feeling of absoulte comfort or the opposite. Choose a school that has the amount of people the fits your comfort level. Some individuals love the big campus where you meet a new person everyday, other people (like myself) like a school where you walk around seeing familiar faces all day. Finally, absoultley get INVOLVED. I am part of the Greek community and would have it no other way. Being a part of something only enriches the college experience and makes it as unforgettable as is it suppose to be.

Make sure (student) you are going where you want to go based on your needs (not your wants). If you know what field you want to get into, make sure the schools you apply to have well-reputed programs for that particular field. Make sure you consider multiple factors with a pros/cons list which may include programs, class size, faculty biography (where they received their schooling and the research they do), location, surrounding community, campus activities, clubs/organizations, campus size, etc.

Make sure you visit each campus. Seeing a school on paper is great, but you don't truely get a feel for the campus without visiting it!

Karina

Could you imagine furthering your development in an atmosphere filled with people of a like age who are furthering theirs as well? Where you grow, not only in mind, body, and spirit, but in maturity as well? Where you learn the importance of making choices? This place is college. Sure that leaving a nurturing atmosphere like that of home and being plunged into a world full of young adults is frightening but this, besides academics, is the most important part about it; being social and making friends. Both dorming and building strong friendships are fundamental as you are not only gaining independence and maturing, but you are also building contacts. Today's world is all about being connected, not just through the internet, but through peers. Here, you learn that sociability is a crucial weapon to success, first on campus, then in life. See that your college of choice provides ample extracurricular activities be they an array of organizations and/or sports. Get involved.

Stacy

Locating the most suitable college may be very time consuming. Finding the right one revolves around what programs and activities that school provides. The school should include an adequate cost, your desired major, and your preferred distance from home. Some less significant, yet intriguing, factors you should check out are the scenery, weather, or diversity of the campus. These aspects increase the pleasure to the whole college experience and add comfort to your campus of choice. Make a list of priorities that consists of the features your ideal school and campus should contain. Write this list according to which is most significant at the top to least significant at the bottom. This should decrease the complexity of your search through catelogs or the internet for the best school. Whichever school(s) has the most features at the top of your priority list, make an appointment to attend an orientation there to see if the campus feels right to you. Best wishes to you on your college search!

Make sure to become involved in extra-curricular activities. The activities you participate in are likely to shape your view of the collegiate experiece, and will most likely be the more important thing you take away from school, at least as a liberal arts major. Make sure that whatever school you attend provides a wide variety of activities so that you will be able to find a club that fits your interests.

Donna

Take your time and do your research. Only you know what will be the right place to help you succeed. Don't go somewhere just because your friends are going there. You will always make friends at school, while keeping your old ones. Get involved on campus with anything - sports, clubs, etc.

Look around. The college you or your child chooses will stay with them for the rest of their lives, so make sure that the programs and activities it offers are going to fit their needs. Looks for a school with an orientation program before the start of the school year, this is very beneficial. Orientations like this are where you will make the friends that will stay with you through the course of your higher education experience, and no matter how silly the orientation activities seem its best not to blow them off because then when school starts you have to adjust to classes and making friends at the same time. The next best piece of advice I can offer is to take advantage of academic support centers, they are there for your use and your benefit. On top of that, teachers love to see that you took the time out of your day to go and get extra help for their classes, and it can often mean the difference between an A and a B. In the end, it is the start of your adult life, so try to make the best of it.