Fairmont, WV
Fairmont State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Fairmont State University

My college experience has helped me to become more knowledgable. Prior to attending college I had a one sided view of politics. Through my educational experience I was able to see how differently others feel about the political leaders in office. I learned to respect their opinions, listen more and not feel the need to defend my position. I also had a very rewarding experience of seeing how not to treat those who are less fortunate than myself. I saw first-hand how the homeless are treated in the mall, and it was very disheartening. I was able to learn not to be so quick to judge people based on the testimonies I heard in class and those I experienced first-hand through class projects. These lessons have been very valuable to my future career as a social worker. It is very important for me not to judge my clients based on what they wear, or on their educational background if I expect to be an excellant social worker. I also need to listen closely to what my clients have to say, not only in word, but also with their body language; which will help me understand my clients well.

Someone who enjoys small town envirnoment where everything is close walking distance.

Natalie

I have gotten lots out of my college expience. Ive learned alot about myself and what i want to do. I have gotten involved in many charities such as battered women and invisible children. I started out thinking I wanted to be a lawyer so I started with my basics planning to major in Political Science. After lots of time worrying and stressing i found out that I didnt like it so much. I found i really enjoyed working with children through the charities. After taking several classes i decided it was more rewarding to myself to work with children and educate the children of tomorrow. I have learned so much about life and working with others in college as well. team work is really important along with giving back and helping others once someone has helped you. Thank you for your time. -Natalie Young

Marisa

I started college with my major in English Education and minor in French Language, but in my first few days, I quickly changed it to a double major in English Literature/Lanugage and French Language. I discovered that both of these programs were really fantastic and I would be more malleable in graduate school with those degrees. But, after speaking with my advisors, I was convinced to add American Sign Language as another major. With three degrees and fluency in those languages, I can reach my goal of becoming an English professor, while also having two other specializations. Just in this aspect of discovering what I am passionate about, I am excited about my college experience. I know that it will not be a waste of time and I know I will go far.

The unnecessary need of textbooks for certain classes.

Fairmont State is a smaller university that has wonderful professors willing to help their students succeed. Because the town of Fairmont is a smaller community, if a person is a fan of hustle and bustle, this is not the university for them.

Nancy

Academically stimulating with engaging professors.

Academically stimulating with engaging professors.

I have learned more about how the world and society work. I have learned the value of volunteering. I have learned to become a better person. I have learned the value of a degree.

How to better manage time for study and how to write more effectively.

Neisa

The college experience has helped me to grow and become a more mature young adult. Unlike the small high school I attened, I am now among the hundreds of students I pass everyday. With many more responsibilities thrown upon me, it is hard not to learn what being a young adult is really about. It has been valuable in the memories I cannot replace. Situations that arrive in class and out with my friends I will have to take with me and learn from those experiences. I must admit that, yes, it forced me to get my drivers liscense and become more responsible in getting myself to and from school. I finally could make decisions that I could not in high school, and I was thrilled to have so many choices to choose from. I may not be the smartest student or get the best grades, but I put forth the effort. Fairmont State understands that some learn faster than others. They have been a great help in providing classes that meet your needs. Overall my college experience has been about average, but I am just into my second semester and Im sure that there is more to come.

The expenses would probably be the worst thing about my school. To go out for lunch you have to leave campus, which in turn wastes much needed gas. The resturants on campus are conviently located, but at the same time 'very' expensive. The cost of books is enough to begin with, and with paying for a dorm it is hard to have extra money to eat or even healthy for that matter. It is less expensive to go down to the Wendy's than stay on campus and buy a healthy meal.

I believe that more of a variety of people would greatly add to the school and the atmosphere. At the same time though I believe that to attend this school you should have an open mind. People here are down to earth, friendly, and stick to themselves to a certain level. It is a fresh of breath air from the usual high school drama. It has many great art classes and a great gym in the Falcon Center. So anyone that is an athlete or wants to join the arts program should go to Fairmont State.

Diana

I have had a successful educational and career experiences and am now currently pursuing my Doctoral of Social Work (DSW) degree. I started as a non-traditional student and as a single parent of a young child. I modeled for my daughter the importance of gaining secondary education in orderto have better opportunities for my career. My daughter has also successfully completed her Master's Degree program and is advancing within her career. My education has provided me the opportunity to become a critical thinker, a scholar practitioner, and one in turn is a social change agent. My education has provided me with the opportunity to work with terminally ill patients, foster children, combat veterans and service members diagnosed with combat related PTSD, rape victims, and many other vulnerable, disempowered, and disenfranchised populations. This would not have been possible without my Bachelor and Master's Degrees. Now I am currently enrolled fulltime as a doctoral student. For me acquiring and ontaining my education is a life long journey that has now been passed on to my daughter and hopefuuly one day my grandchildren.

Fairmont State is an excellent school for students who are self starters that are inquisitive and want to further their education. From Fairmont State I developed a good solid foundation that prepared me for my Master's Degree program. I am now working on my PhD and believe that Fairmont State prepared me for my educational journey and career!

Those who are not serious about secondary education.

danielle

Everything is very close together and there is 24/7 music playing in the union! Also wednesdays at the union are full of free stuff and cool things to buy

I have gotten to expierance a wide variety of culute. Most of my friends are not the same race as me. Some are asian, black, white. They all bring something different to the table. I've learned about the different customs that many countries practice,along with different religions.

Chelsea

I have already finished a Certificate Program, and it makes it simple enough to understand what needs to be done to succeed in your future career. It has been valuable to attend due to the professors at the college. They are respectful and want you to pass their class. They give extra credit when needed, but only if you have deserved it throughout the course. It has helped me work harder for what I want, and to stay strong in my decision for a major.

I wish I would have known where the buildings were. I felt lost my first week of classes, and I wish I would have taken the time to look around before classes started.

I typically brag that it's all in one central location; unlike West Virginia University, which is spread all around Morgantown, WV.

Robyn

I feel much more knowledgable in English, Math, and Psychology, which is my major. I have learned to think critically and analyze the ideas of others in a more practical manner. I feel like college has helped me to become a more determined and hard-working individual.

Fairmont State University is not a campus-friendly university. There is hardley ever anything to do on campus for those who live in the dorms, such as myself.

Fairmont State University is a good school for those majoring in nursing. It is also good for students persuing a teaching degree. Someone who doesn't mind find things to do on their own would be good for this school also, since the campus does not provide many activities.

Olivia

The first year of my college experience has been scary and exciting all at the same time. When one is a senior in high school, they think about the parties and fun times with friends; but for me it was getting a better future and the institution I attend really gives me the opportunities I deserve. I get to live at home and study at my own pace, which is a major plus. It is so valuable for me to have a higher education, not only to be the first in my family to graduate from college, but to also know that I accomplised something on my own and without anyone else's help. I have a "do it myself" attitude and even though that shines through most of the time, my teachers and family members are there to back me up anytime I need it. It has also been very valuable because every high school senior plans on leaving home and making it work out in the real world, but I realized that I took my home for granted and I will never forget what my family and I have worked for.

Everyone can find something to relate to at Fairmont State University. We have a great Education Program, which I am now participating in. We have great athletics, academics, and faculty to make our college experiences the best. Fairmont has so many other majors to choose from as well. Engineering, nursing, culinary programs, nutrition programs, physical education, and health programs; you name it Fairmont will have it. Even though some students might not be used to the small atmosphere and the hills of West Virginia, the area grows on you after a while.

The one thing I brag about the most of Fairmont State, is that it is such a small campus. Most high school seniors want that party atmosphere and lots of people, but for some the small campuses are ideal. Fairmont is easy to get around and all of my classes are small and personal; so I get the attention from my professors that I need to succeed. It is nice to be able to talk about topics in class and be able to get your opinion in discussion in class, rather than just listening and wish your voice was heard.

Fairmont State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.