Fairmont, WV
Fairmont State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Fairmont State University

So far i have picked up that studying is key to college. You have to study a lot to make the grades, and you still always, some how have time to do things you would like. I really have enjoyed my time at school. It is a whole new world once you are without your parents. You just have to know what to do with your time, and manage your time well. It has been very valuable that i have attended college because i have learned what it is like to be without your parents , and has taught me to be very responsible.

It is small and you get to know everyone pretty well.

People who want a bigger school. Fairmont is a smaller school. It is great for people who are not so much out going.

Mollie

It's very diverse for such a small campus. It's easy to get around and not get lost! The Rec center is the best around. I love the indoor track and the weight room is never too crowded. Two different pools make it easy to dive in and get some exercise even in the winter since they are both indoors and heated! Definitely able to stay phsyically fit here.

"WHOA, CALM DOWN MOLLIE!" College is WAY better than High School. You have the freedom to decide what classes you want to take and when. It's GLORIOUS! You need to stay focused, though. A lot of things are going to happen to you during your freshman year and it will be super hard to stay on track, but get through it. Sophomore year had proved to be distracting. Your family life will get better and you'll get through this with a higher GPA (I hope)! You're going to make something of yourself, Mollie. You're going to have a wonderful life after college and MINIMAL student loans! It's not easy getting money for college but somehow you will make it work. You're a determined girl with a great momma to back you up and hold you if you fall. You'll do it, I know. Good luck! Never hesitate to scream into a pillow if you feel like you want to chuck a rock at someone!

If I could go back in time to my senior year of high school there would be a lot of advice to give myself. The biggest and most important piece of advice I would give myself would be to study harder and concentrate on school and not parties or boys. I would tell myself to stay home some nights and study as hard as I could, to push myself to the limit, and to take my grades seriously. Not saying that I made bad grades or anything, but of course they could have been much better. I would teach myself better study habits and prevent procrastionation as best as possible. I now know how much of an impact your grades from high school have in college and that your bad study habits that you had in high school follow you into college. It is a lot more challenging for me to study and concentrate because I never cared to teach myself the right way to study or do my work. So, I know that I would give myself the advice to work at school and work as hard as I could because it would all pay off in the end!

The best thing about my school is probably the size. It's much bigger than my high school but not too big. There is still one-on-one interaction in the classrooms between teachers and students and I feel a lot more comfortable in a smaller classroom setting. It's also good because you know a lot of people but it's not that everyone knows every aspect of a person's life like in high school.

The thing I consider to be the worst thing about my school is probably the location. Fairmont State University is in somewhat of a "dying town" and noboby really wants to move there so everyone pretty much lives at home. I really want to move out and live on my own but not in the crappy city of Fairmont, I just don't like it.

Justine

Most people here are very eager to learn and determined to suceed in their field. Most are also very friendly, but are not always known to be the ones to start a conversation or friendship. Most are just here for classes and then go back to their home/jobs.

I would tell myself to be more confident going into this process. I would also work harder to find scholarships and financial aid, as the loans have piled up greatly, and my family is struggling even greater with money now. I would tell myself that the dorms would be a good experience, no matter how much I disliked them. Mostly, I would just want myself to be as confident as I was in high school. I know that I can do this college thing, and that I have great potential, but at times, I lose sight of my dream of teaching and struggle a lot. I just need to know that I can do this, no matter how hard this is, and I wish I had more of this attitude from the beginning. I tended to hide that drive, determination, and confidence in the beginning, and I'm struggling because of it now.

The size of this school is great. It's not too large, but not too small either. You are able to get to know your classmates and teachers well, and have connections that can carry throughout your years here as you progress through your major.

Kelly

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself to stop being lazy and apply for as many scholarships as possible. One of my biggest problems was that I did not apply to many scholarships which was definitely my biggest mistake because I could have more of my college paid off than I do now with virtually free money. I would also tell myself to start hitting the books. I always did well in school without really having to study and at college there is a big advantage to studying the materials. If I would have practiced better studying habits before I feel like I would be in a better situation now. The last thing I would tell my senior self would be to just relax and stay true to myself, because when you get to college there are so many temptations and the only person you will hurt is yourself. College is the place to grow and learn, especially from other people's mistakes. I think that would be the best advice to myself.

I think the most frustrating thing about my school is the usage of their online system. We have a program called Blackboard and it can sometimes be frustrating if you do not know how to use it. Also their website is not set up extremely well which means I have to know what is going on before I get on the website to find out anything.

My school Fairmont State University is know for there Accounting, Nursing, And Engineering majors. Many of successeful people graduated from this institution. They are working in well known firms and being well known doctors.

I would tell myself that college is the beginning of your adult hood. There is no longer being under your parent's wing. you are truly in your own. make sure that everything is taken care of financially or it will put stress on you trying to pay it. be knowlegible of all of your wareabouts. College is a big culture shock. You will be around people that you never imagine puttin g yourself around. Take it serious because this determines how you are going to take care of yourself in the future. An important thing is be knowlegible of where you are getting your degree from. Saying is "decide where you want to get your degree from, because that can determine what state you live in for the rest of your life". The reason that is said is beacause different states have different policies and curriculums to there guidelines to be successful.

The type of person that should attend this school should have the personality that is discipline, self learner and determined. The reason that i mention those three characteristics is because they teach how to be responsible and discipline by making you study as if everyday is a test day.

Christy

My classmates seem to have a good idea of what they want out of life.

My classmates seem to have a good idea of what they want out of life.

I would advise myself to choose a major instead of going to school undecided that way I would have a higher chance of success. I would also tell my past self to not let others influence me and to make my own choices on what I want edinstead of what others have said or done.

I would say that anyone looking to better themselves and further their education should consider attending Fairmont State University.

James

Don't get so wrapped up in someone else's life that you skip out on your own. Fairmont State U has a lot of good people, and a lot of fun programs to engage in, so you really don't want to get so hurt by others before going that you spend all your days in an emotional rough patch. If you do end up in one, go check out the school counsellor and see if she can help you through it, after all, that's what counsellors do. P.S. Don't have an attitude. No one at school is out to play power games with you, and attitudes just get in the way of doing good work no matter where you are.

The best thing about the school would have to be the diversity of programs, both academic and extracurricular, that are available. The support system for clubs is currently undergoing some changes, but has not been difficult to use in the past and should not become any more difficult now. It is relatively easy to create a new club if a small number of people want to try something that isn't currently available.

The person attending this school should not expect to get preferential treatment outside of the local area just by saying the name of the school. Laid back students who enjoy a challenge but aren't looking to break themselves working will do best at Fairmont State because while the workload is big at times it's not something you're going to have spend every waking moment working at.

My classmates are very friendly and helpful, and have a lot in common with me, since the majority of us are in the same major...

It is hard to say what advie I would give myself if I could "write a letter to me" as a high school senior. However, the main thing that comes to mind is I would tell myself to not take all easy classes. I thought I was being smart by taking all my required/hard classes in my first three years, but then I realize my first year of college I have forgotten a lot of what I was taught in grades 9-11. Needless to say, the advice I would give myself would be to take harder classes.

When speaking about Fairmont State University, I always have to brag about the small classes. Other schools, such as WVU, may have 300 students in their classes, but FSU has around 30 at the most. I love the smaller classes because you really get to know your teacher on a name to name basis. It is easier to receive help this way, whether you're in the classroom or contacting through e-mail, which I feel has helped to improve my grades.

Fairmont State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.