Fairmont, WV
Fairmont State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Fairmont State University

Clarence

America, the land of higher learning. With so many colleges and universities to choose from, it can be a daunting task picking the right school to further one's education. Parents and students, alike, can always use some tips and a little advice to make the selection process a much smoother experience. For the parent, I would suggest the following: Always think about the safety of your young, up and coming professional. When recommending a school to your child, pick the one that you believe offers the best environment for learning. Every school in this country can have its share of distractions, but some have less than others. Pick the one that you believe fosters a healthy learning environment. Now, the student, I believe, has another priority when it comes to selecting a school. A young student needs to focus on the school that he or she believes will help him or her grow as a person. College is the time when you grow into being an adult, and a young student needs a place that brings out the best. A college that embraces the lifestyle choices and activities of a young student is the right college for them.

The one thing that I wish I had known before choosing to attend Fairmont State University is the amount of traffic that is in the town of Fairmont, WV. The roads in the city are badly planned and are too narrow for the amount of cars that travel within the town.

The most frustrating thing about attending Fairmont State University is the lack of social activities outside of the school. The town of Fairmont offers little excitement and the campus is the main attraction in the town. That said, the school itself offers some activities but not enough to offset the lack of things going on outside the campus.

Briana

Unlike many schools I had considered, FSU was close to home. I've always been a homebody, so fairmont helped me to include this within my life. I also was very intrigued by their small class sizes. This was something that really attracted me to their school. Their professors were very kind and really showed an interest in giving the students the best education they could receive.

Pick somewhere you love because you love it. Don't let friends influence your decision to go to a school; don't pick somewhere just because it's popular and everyone else wants to go there. Think of your future and what really catches your eye about a school. Make smart choices based on academics, nothing else. Really look at what your financial responsibilities will be once you're attending that school, because college is expensive! Be sure the school can offer you the financial aid you're looking for. Lastly, pick the university that suits you, your wants and needs, and is going to offer you everything they possibly can. Travel safely in your journey through college, afterall, it's the road to your future.

Fairmont State University is a small, but very welcoming school. The staff and faculty go to great lengths to ensure the happiness of every student on campus. I love the fact that it is very small and home-like. You see many of the same people on a daily basis but no so much as to feel like you're absolutely trapped in a small school environment. The on campus activities overrun the place. Between the many student organizations and student involvment, there is never a dull moment. I can't get enough of FSU!

Do some research before you choose. Make sure the college fits your life style. Look into the administration and talk to student before about their experience. Try to make a decision as to your major as soon as you can so you dont waste time and money.

There isn't much faculty student interaction as far as administration. We schedule our own classes without an advisor, which leads to people being unable to graduate due to missing classes when the time comes. Financial aid is a nightmare when it comes to correspondence. It is impossible to get a hold of someone when you need them and it takes forever to get a call back.

The student needs to be responsible and self sufficient.

Hao

One of the most important things when determining which college or university to attend is that "you gotta have fun". I believe that the college experience is what you make of it. College life is not all about sitting in your room or library all day and all night studying just to get that perfect grade point average that you used to get in high school. It's about growing up, learning responsibities, interacting, networking, making life-long friends, and you can't forget the getting good grades part, but most importantly is having fun while doing all that. Many students flunk out because they lack the self-control when they are released into the college world and away from the rules of home and nagging of the parents when it comes to curfews, bedtimes, partying, and drinking. My advice to new students when searching for the right college, is to first determine your priorities. Know what you want in terms of campus and classroom size, diversity, field of study, social life, and surrounding of the campus. Then, enter the college world with the mindset that you must be responsible and have self-control. Remember, "you gotta have fun"!

I have visted many colleges and universities including ones that some of my other friends are currently attending. I have found that we have a strict set of rules for the on-campus dorms. Although I understand that the rules may be for our safety, but the degree of security in place will render useless if someone actually had the full intention of harming the school and all within. As a criminal justice major, I strongly believe in rules. But the right ones, reasonable and practical, must be in place for the "system" to work; useless ones are completely uneccessary.

I have come to find that people who prefer larger cities and an extremely active social life find Fairmont a little boring. I've lived in big cities, one of such is Houston, Texas, which I loved! But for an educational purpose, I chose this school because of its smaller class sizes, its "just right" sized campus, and its mountainous terrain with Valley Falls nearby so anyone piled under the stress of schoolwork can escape to relax for a day.

Casey

Very energetic, fun to be around and very intelligent.

Very energetic, fun to be around and very intelligent.

I am not sure i would say probably academics and research.

I would say visit at many as possible and dont always choose because of prestige, but choose one that will make you fill comfortable and welcomed.

Alberta

In one sentence: My classmates are part of my extended family.

In one sentence: My classmates are part of my extended family.

Fairmont State University is an excellent choice. The campus is just the right size, and the staff are helpful, caring, and understanding, not like the big universities in other towns. I am 48 years old, single mom of a 2 yr old, and the students make me feel so welcome, they almost feel like family. Any time I need help in class or out of class, they are there. the teachers are the same. I can't put into words the amount of joy, pleasure,and pride I have for my school. I love it!

Look around your hometown. Bigger isn't always better. Go check out all of your choices before making up your minds and don't let fast-talking recruiters manipulate you or your children. Check into the school's ratio for non-traditional students, this will give you a pretty good idea of how the faculty and students deal with freshman. I mean, if there are a lot of non-traditional students attending or completing their educational requirements at this college, then the students and faculty must be pretty nice and helpful, otherwise they wouldn't be there! Don't feel rushed! I'm just now starting my "further education" at 48, and I'm dong fine! If a person feels rushed, they will not necessarily make the "best" decision for their life. If a school is right for you or your children, you will know it almost immediately, but don't take any chances! Parents, keep close tabs on your kids' progress, and kids, you don't have to do things you feel are "wrong" just to "fit in". Most importantly, after you find the school of your choice, rejoice in it! Tell others and encourage them to try it!

Shanequa

Just be yourself college is a place to find out who you really are

Just be yourself college is a place to find out who you really are

My school has so many different type of people it is easy to find a friend

If a school that fits you. If you like one on one time with your teachers a smaller school would be good.

Michelle

The rec center at my school is way nicer than anyother schools that i visited. There is many nice places to eat as well compared to other schools that i visited.

Look at as many options as you can. You never know what you will like once you go and visit the campus. Try things that are colse as well as far away from home because college is about trying to find yourself and one never knows where they are gonna be able to find their true selves at. Also one needs to look into the activities that are available to students. Find out if they are on or off campus and what forms of activities they are beacuse it may be something that one likes or something that they do not like which could make a huge difference in whether or not they will stay in school or if they will enjoy it and have a good experience and make many new friends.

Anyone that is looking for a school that is fun and not too big or too small. Someone that wants to get a good education while still being able to have a good time with ur friends. Someone that wants to have a nice campus where everything is close to everything else and where u dont have to walk miles to get to where u need to go.

Fairmont State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.