Fairmont State University Top Questions

You are smart and you can do "this" ! You do not have to be ashamed of the poverty that you have grown up in, or your dysfunctional parents. Do not allow your circumstances to dictate who you are. Who you are comes from so much more than the "family" name known in a small town. Figure out the direction you want to go then surround yourself with people who are on the same journey, and people who have already successfully traveled the path you have choosen. If someone wants to help you it does not mean that they feel sorry for you, want to use you or abuse you. They may see the spark in your eye, the drive, the ambiition. It is okay to accept help. Part of being idependent is knowing when you need help. The destination is worth the journey! God is bigger than all else.

To straighten up and actually try. Go to college right after high school and save your self time and trouble, study computer science.

The very first thing I would tell myself would be to start saving more money and to apply to every single scholarship possible. I am getting ready to make the move from West Virginia to Texas and a couple extra grand would be very nice. I would recommend applying to more scholarships so that I wouldn't have had to take out so many loans. Graduating debt free would have been one of the nicest things to happen. I would also tell myself to start preparing for graduate school much sooner. I wish I had an extra year now to apply for scholarships, fellowships, grants, etc.

Lashley

I have learned how to put more effort than I thought I could. There is a point when you are staring at the homework monster wanting to give up and cry because you know 90{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of this won't be on the final, only 50{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} will be on the test and in the long run it won't do anything more than remind me of this moment of pain you are having. The teachers know the homework isn't the best way to test your understanding or abilities, you know it, the entire school system knows it. Yet they still want it all turned in word -perfect and right then, at that moment, you just want to give up and give in. Instead you pick the easiest thing first and work it, then the next and the next and the next until all you have left is an essay that is a thousand pages in a style you've never heard of. Next time you pick the hardest thing first and when you wake up late for a test the next morning, skidding into your seat seconds before the teacher, easy is all that's left and that's beautiful.

Ive learned alot about my field of study and that I also plan to minor in math.

My college experience has helped me to become more knowledgable. Prior to attending college I had a one sided view of politics. Through my educational experience I was able to see how differently others feel about the political leaders in office. I learned to respect their opinions, listen more and not feel the need to defend my position. I also had a very rewarding experience of seeing how not to treat those who are less fortunate than myself. I saw first-hand how the homeless are treated in the mall, and it was very disheartening. I was able to learn not to be so quick to judge people based on the testimonies I heard in class and those I experienced first-hand through class projects. These lessons have been very valuable to my future career as a social worker. It is very important for me not to judge my clients based on what they wear, or on their educational background if I expect to be an excellant social worker. I also need to listen closely to what my clients have to say, not only in word, but also with their body language; which will help me understand my clients well.

I have gotten lots out of my college expience. Ive learned alot about myself and what i want to do. I have gotten involved in many charities such as battered women and invisible children. I started out thinking I wanted to be a lawyer so I started with my basics planning to major in Political Science. After lots of time worrying and stressing i found out that I didnt like it so much. I found i really enjoyed working with children through the charities. After taking several classes i decided it was more rewarding to myself to work with children and educate the children of tomorrow. I have learned so much about life and working with others in college as well. team work is really important along with giving back and helping others once someone has helped you. Thank you for your time. -Natalie Young

Marisa

I started college with my major in English Education and minor in French Language, but in my first few days, I quickly changed it to a double major in English Literature/Lanugage and French Language. I discovered that both of these programs were really fantastic and I would be more malleable in graduate school with those degrees. But, after speaking with my advisors, I was convinced to add American Sign Language as another major. With three degrees and fluency in those languages, I can reach my goal of becoming an English professor, while also having two other specializations. Just in this aspect of discovering what I am passionate about, I am excited about my college experience. I know that it will not be a waste of time and I know I will go far.

Nancy

I have learned more about how the world and society work. I have learned the value of volunteering. I have learned to become a better person. I have learned the value of a degree.

Neisa

The college experience has helped me to grow and become a more mature young adult. Unlike the small high school I attened, I am now among the hundreds of students I pass everyday. With many more responsibilities thrown upon me, it is hard not to learn what being a young adult is really about. It has been valuable in the memories I cannot replace. Situations that arrive in class and out with my friends I will have to take with me and learn from those experiences. I must admit that, yes, it forced me to get my drivers liscense and become more responsible in getting myself to and from school. I finally could make decisions that I could not in high school, and I was thrilled to have so many choices to choose from. I may not be the smartest student or get the best grades, but I put forth the effort. Fairmont State understands that some learn faster than others. They have been a great help in providing classes that meet your needs. Overall my college experience has been about average, but I am just into my second semester and Im sure that there is more to come.

Diana

I have had a successful educational and career experiences and am now currently pursuing my Doctoral of Social Work (DSW) degree. I started as a non-traditional student and as a single parent of a young child. I modeled for my daughter the importance of gaining secondary education in orderto have better opportunities for my career. My daughter has also successfully completed her Master's Degree program and is advancing within her career. My education has provided me the opportunity to become a critical thinker, a scholar practitioner, and one in turn is a social change agent. My education has provided me with the opportunity to work with terminally ill patients, foster children, combat veterans and service members diagnosed with combat related PTSD, rape victims, and many other vulnerable, disempowered, and disenfranchised populations. This would not have been possible without my Bachelor and Master's Degrees. Now I am currently enrolled fulltime as a doctoral student. For me acquiring and ontaining my education is a life long journey that has now been passed on to my daughter and hopefuuly one day my grandchildren.

danielle

I have gotten to expierance a wide variety of culute. Most of my friends are not the same race as me. Some are asian, black, white. They all bring something different to the table. I've learned about the different customs that many countries practice,along with different religions.

I have already finished a Certificate Program, and it makes it simple enough to understand what needs to be done to succeed in your future career. It has been valuable to attend due to the professors at the college. They are respectful and want you to pass their class. They give extra credit when needed, but only if you have deserved it throughout the course. It has helped me work harder for what I want, and to stay strong in my decision for a major.

Robyn

I feel much more knowledgable in English, Math, and Psychology, which is my major. I have learned to think critically and analyze the ideas of others in a more practical manner. I feel like college has helped me to become a more determined and hard-working individual.

The first year of my college experience has been scary and exciting all at the same time. When one is a senior in high school, they think about the parties and fun times with friends; but for me it was getting a better future and the institution I attend really gives me the opportunities I deserve. I get to live at home and study at my own pace, which is a major plus. It is so valuable for me to have a higher education, not only to be the first in my family to graduate from college, but to also know that I accomplised something on my own and without anyone else's help. I have a "do it myself" attitude and even though that shines through most of the time, my teachers and family members are there to back me up anytime I need it. It has also been very valuable because every high school senior plans on leaving home and making it work out in the real world, but I realized that I took my home for granted and I will never forget what my family and I have worked for.

So far i have picked up that studying is key to college. You have to study a lot to make the grades, and you still always, some how have time to do things you would like. I really have enjoyed my time at school. It is a whole new world once you are without your parents. You just have to know what to do with your time, and manage your time well. It has been very valuable that i have attended college because i have learned what it is like to be without your parents , and has taught me to be very responsible.

Mollie

"WHOA, CALM DOWN MOLLIE!" College is WAY better than High School. You have the freedom to decide what classes you want to take and when. It's GLORIOUS! You need to stay focused, though. A lot of things are going to happen to you during your freshman year and it will be super hard to stay on track, but get through it. Sophomore year had proved to be distracting. Your family life will get better and you'll get through this with a higher GPA (I hope)! You're going to make something of yourself, Mollie. You're going to have a wonderful life after college and MINIMAL student loans! It's not easy getting money for college but somehow you will make it work. You're a determined girl with a great momma to back you up and hold you if you fall. You'll do it, I know. Good luck! Never hesitate to scream into a pillow if you feel like you want to chuck a rock at someone!

If I could go back in time to my senior year of high school there would be a lot of advice to give myself. The biggest and most important piece of advice I would give myself would be to study harder and concentrate on school and not parties or boys. I would tell myself to stay home some nights and study as hard as I could, to push myself to the limit, and to take my grades seriously. Not saying that I made bad grades or anything, but of course they could have been much better. I would teach myself better study habits and prevent procrastionation as best as possible. I now know how much of an impact your grades from high school have in college and that your bad study habits that you had in high school follow you into college. It is a lot more challenging for me to study and concentrate because I never cared to teach myself the right way to study or do my work. So, I know that I would give myself the advice to work at school and work as hard as I could because it would all pay off in the end!

Justine

I would tell myself to be more confident going into this process. I would also work harder to find scholarships and financial aid, as the loans have piled up greatly, and my family is struggling even greater with money now. I would tell myself that the dorms would be a good experience, no matter how much I disliked them. Mostly, I would just want myself to be as confident as I was in high school. I know that I can do this college thing, and that I have great potential, but at times, I lose sight of my dream of teaching and struggle a lot. I just need to know that I can do this, no matter how hard this is, and I wish I had more of this attitude from the beginning. I tended to hide that drive, determination, and confidence in the beginning, and I'm struggling because of it now.

Meredith

work harder, cause college isn't a joke.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself to stop being lazy and apply for as many scholarships as possible. One of my biggest problems was that I did not apply to many scholarships which was definitely my biggest mistake because I could have more of my college paid off than I do now with virtually free money. I would also tell myself to start hitting the books. I always did well in school without really having to study and at college there is a big advantage to studying the materials. If I would have practiced better studying habits before I feel like I would be in a better situation now. The last thing I would tell my senior self would be to just relax and stay true to myself, because when you get to college there are so many temptations and the only person you will hurt is yourself. College is the place to grow and learn, especially from other people's mistakes. I think that would be the best advice to myself.

I would tell myself that college is the beginning of your adult hood. There is no longer being under your parent's wing. you are truly in your own. make sure that everything is taken care of financially or it will put stress on you trying to pay it. be knowlegible of all of your wareabouts. College is a big culture shock. You will be around people that you never imagine puttin g yourself around. Take it serious because this determines how you are going to take care of yourself in the future. An important thing is be knowlegible of where you are getting your degree from. Saying is "decide where you want to get your degree from, because that can determine what state you live in for the rest of your life". The reason that is said is beacause different states have different policies and curriculums to there guidelines to be successful.

Christy

I would advise myself to choose a major instead of going to school undecided that way I would have a higher chance of success. I would also tell my past self to not let others influence me and to make my own choices on what I want edinstead of what others have said or done.

Don't get so wrapped up in someone else's life that you skip out on your own. Fairmont State U has a lot of good people, and a lot of fun programs to engage in, so you really don't want to get so hurt by others before going that you spend all your days in an emotional rough patch. If you do end up in one, go check out the school counsellor and see if she can help you through it, after all, that's what counsellors do. P.S. Don't have an attitude. No one at school is out to play power games with you, and attitudes just get in the way of doing good work no matter where you are.

It is hard to say what advie I would give myself if I could "write a letter to me" as a high school senior. However, the main thing that comes to mind is I would tell myself to not take all easy classes. I thought I was being smart by taking all my required/hard classes in my first three years, but then I realize my first year of college I have forgotten a lot of what I was taught in grades 9-11. Needless to say, the advice I would give myself would be to take harder classes.

I would tell myself to buckle down and pay more attention. I would tell myself to challenge myself more by taking harder classes. I would tell myself not to worry about the way I am dresses and worry more about what I am going to do with the rest of my life. I would tell my high school senior self that the boy I am dating will stick around and I could play softball of basketball and try for a scholorship, I got married to that man. He has stuck with me through alot, he would have stayed with me if I played sports. I would tell myself that he will be there when high school is over. If not for him, I wouldn't have this opportunity to attend college now.

tiffany

start from the beginning. don't wait and take a semester off. take at least 15 hours of classes per semester. don't let yourself get behind. stay on track and use good study skills. don't let the little things get to you. keep yourself goal-oriented and everything will be okay. just focus and do your best.

I would have told myself to really set down and figure out the best ways to study, learn how to be more open and to be able to ask teachers for help when i don't understand something about the class.

barrett

LIsten to your parents and stay in school. View your studies as an acomplishment you will be proud of not as a chore that never gets done. Although at the time, you may feel that relationships with your peers are the most important thing in your life, they aren't. People come and go, but knowledge is forever.

Susannah

When it comes to picking your college, make sure you do vast ammounts of research; look in places you would never think to look. While I love the university I am attending and I think it is a fantastic school, I made the mistake of just picking a college within in the state soley for instate tuition. It's important for the student to choose a college that is right for them and that not only has the major they wish to pursue, but also has other things there to pursue happiness. I think a lot of students choose a college just for the purpose of reputation and then find that the size or location isn't suitable for their happiness. To make the most out of a college experience, students need not only study hard, but give themselves time to grow as humans and not just students. Explore every option or events your college puts out, try new things, be very open-minded, and try not to lose sight of your goals. Employers want graduates who are intelligent and have great grades, but that 4.0 average doesn't mean much if you aren't well rounded and adjusted.

If someone tells you that you can't go to college because of a learning disability, they're wrong; if you really want to go, you can if you are willing to work hard for it.

Rose

The advice that I would give is to visit all of the colleges that you are interested in and which ever one makes you feel the most welcomed, that's where you want to be. As of making most of the college experience, I don't think I can talk much about that because I live at home so I am usually not on campus when the social activities are taking place, but I am sure that they are fun, and sometimes I regret that I don't attend them. A school that makes you feel welcomed and has a comforting environment is where you want to be!

Find something that you REALLY want to do and find a college that has the right classes and best suits the career that you want. Make sure the college really cares about the program you want to participate in. Also make sure you put time into the school and you will get the most of it.

I would have to say go with the college that best "fits you". As far as making the best out of the college experience, live life with no regets (legally that is).

Chace

I would definately tell students, dont pick a college just because your friends are going there. Make sure the one you pick offers a wide variety of degrees in case you decided you dont like your first pick in degrees. Also, dont go to a college known for partying. Even if you arent a partier, every other student that is can effect your studying and could effect your grades. Parents, I would say make sure the school has a good financial aid office and good campus security.

Clarence

America, the land of higher learning. With so many colleges and universities to choose from, it can be a daunting task picking the right school to further one's education. Parents and students, alike, can always use some tips and a little advice to make the selection process a much smoother experience. For the parent, I would suggest the following: Always think about the safety of your young, up and coming professional. When recommending a school to your child, pick the one that you believe offers the best environment for learning. Every school in this country can have its share of distractions, but some have less than others. Pick the one that you believe fosters a healthy learning environment. Now, the student, I believe, has another priority when it comes to selecting a school. A young student needs to focus on the school that he or she believes will help him or her grow as a person. College is the time when you grow into being an adult, and a young student needs a place that brings out the best. A college that embraces the lifestyle choices and activities of a young student is the right college for them.

You have to find the right balance of intellectual stimulus and social expression. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy...

Briana

Pick somewhere you love because you love it. Don't let friends influence your decision to go to a school; don't pick somewhere just because it's popular and everyone else wants to go there. Think of your future and what really catches your eye about a school. Make smart choices based on academics, nothing else. Really look at what your financial responsibilities will be once you're attending that school, because college is expensive! Be sure the school can offer you the financial aid you're looking for. Lastly, pick the university that suits you, your wants and needs, and is going to offer you everything they possibly can. Travel safely in your journey through college, afterall, it's the road to your future.

Do some research before you choose. Make sure the college fits your life style. Look into the administration and talk to student before about their experience. Try to make a decision as to your major as soon as you can so you dont waste time and money.

Hao

One of the most important things when determining which college or university to attend is that "you gotta have fun". I believe that the college experience is what you make of it. College life is not all about sitting in your room or library all day and all night studying just to get that perfect grade point average that you used to get in high school. It's about growing up, learning responsibities, interacting, networking, making life-long friends, and you can't forget the getting good grades part, but most importantly is having fun while doing all that. Many students flunk out because they lack the self-control when they are released into the college world and away from the rules of home and nagging of the parents when it comes to curfews, bedtimes, partying, and drinking. My advice to new students when searching for the right college, is to first determine your priorities. Know what you want in terms of campus and classroom size, diversity, field of study, social life, and surrounding of the campus. Then, enter the college world with the mindset that you must be responsible and have self-control. Remember, "you gotta have fun"!

I would say visit at many as possible and dont always choose because of prestige, but choose one that will make you fill comfortable and welcomed.

Alberta

Look around your hometown. Bigger isn't always better. Go check out all of your choices before making up your minds and don't let fast-talking recruiters manipulate you or your children. Check into the school's ratio for non-traditional students, this will give you a pretty good idea of how the faculty and students deal with freshman. I mean, if there are a lot of non-traditional students attending or completing their educational requirements at this college, then the students and faculty must be pretty nice and helpful, otherwise they wouldn't be there! Don't feel rushed! I'm just now starting my "further education" at 48, and I'm dong fine! If a person feels rushed, they will not necessarily make the "best" decision for their life. If a school is right for you or your children, you will know it almost immediately, but don't take any chances! Parents, keep close tabs on your kids' progress, and kids, you don't have to do things you feel are "wrong" just to "fit in". Most importantly, after you find the school of your choice, rejoice in it! Tell others and encourage them to try it!

Shanequa

Just be your self and make friends

Shanequa

If a school that fits you. If you like one on one time with your teachers a smaller school would be good.

Look at as many options as you can. You never know what you will like once you go and visit the campus. Try things that are colse as well as far away from home because college is about trying to find yourself and one never knows where they are gonna be able to find their true selves at. Also one needs to look into the activities that are available to students. Find out if they are on or off campus and what forms of activities they are beacuse it may be something that one likes or something that they do not like which could make a huge difference in whether or not they will stay in school or if they will enjoy it and have a good experience and make many new friends.

Look at more than one college and try not to pick a school because of your financial situation. I think I picked this school because it was affordable and I didn't want to be strapped with debt after college, but there may have been another school that I didn't look at that would have given me enough aid to be able to afford it too. I'm a young adult that doesn't know what I want to do for the rest of my life yet so I'm not the best person to give advice, but I do know that I don't want to have to pay back on loans for the next decade of my life. Don't be afraid to apply for any scholarship. Not all scholarships are awarded because you're the best of the best. There's someone out there right now that was just like you when they were in college and they'd like to help you get an education. You may meet their scholarship criteria.