Fashion Institute of Technology Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Fashion Institute of Technology

John

I Love my time at FIT. The people are great and the classes are interesting

makagbeh

I WANT TO BECOME PART OF THE SCHOOL.

alesia

I love this school, I can't imagine attending other school this school is very diverse there are people from all around the world. I love how there are many classes that suets the needs of the student. i also love the fact that the teachers are there to help whenever you need them.

Maria

I loved my school. I have met my best friends and gave gained so many opportunities through my school and my club. My mentors and professors were so much help along the way whether it was helping me find a internship or job or even helping me apply for my MA Degree. I was able to dorm for one semester, but commuted 4 years as a whole and was able to receive a discount for NJ Transit. I also had the opportunity studied abroad for three weeks in the summer and it was the BEST decision I have made at my entire career at FIT. I will truly miss FIT and am so grateful for all the school has given me.

Angela

If you are passionate about what you're studying, you'll love it here. It is a LOT of work, but the liberal arts classes aren't very challenging. We have a lot of resources, internship, and volunteer opportunities too, and being in New York only adds to those opportunities.

Emma

I love it here! I've met such great friends and professors. Being in NYC is awesome. There is so much culture and art here. I feel the NYC experience definitely ads to my overall studies. I wouldn't want to be anywhere else right now! I look forward to continuing my studies at FIT!!

Emma

The fashion institute of technology is a great school in the heart of manhattan. The location has to be the best part because your in the middle of one of the top most inspirational cities in the world. Great facilities and there's so much to see. Would definitely recommend this school.

Destiny

I love this school. And. I love the city. I fell in love with both the first time I seen them. This is my dream of being in the fashion world one way or another. And FIT provides me this apparently to do so. The campus is located on one city block so it's easy to get around and get to classes. Teachers are friendly so are the other staff members. New York City is a great place to be and I am lucky to be able to log to school here and fulfill my dream.

onanma

I have mixed opinions about Fashion Institute of Technology. Overall, it’s a fantastic school to study fashion design at but it also has some major flaws. There isn't really any typical "campus” life. Please don't come to FIT expecting a typical college experience. Some of the professors I took aren't any good in "how" they teach. Granted, yes, a person can be qualified in their field of study but that doesn't necessarily make the person good at being a professor. This flaw has a silver lining though, most of the professors are still working in the industry. So, they do have a lot of connections. Overall, FIT is a great school but there are better options.

Erin

Even though it has only been a couple of months, I am truly enjoying the experience of being a student of FIT and taking in the overall college experience. There is so much to do outside of school but the professors have such insight into future endeavors.

jacqueline

Attending the Fashion Institute of Technology this past year has been the most fulfilling and exciting year of my life. being able to be fully immersed in my art has solidified my passion for fashion design. I have been able to prove to myself this is what I am meant to do. Additionally, the students at FIT have taught me so many new things and opened me up to new experiences. Being exposed to so many diverse and international students has taught me about worldly issues as well as different perspectives. Overall FIT is a great learning environment in and out of the classroom.

Rafaela

FIT is in the middle of NYC, so the opportunities are endless!!! The majors are great and there's a lot you can do to make college experience the best it can be. I especially love the fact that we don't have to deal with most of the "drama" of regular colleges. The professors are always available and will give students a lot of growth opportunity. Classes are usually only 25 people, tops.

Olivia

The major related academic classes are challenging but in the end, they are rewarding. Professors offer a professional and personal relationship with students. There is numerous security guards throughout the buildings making everyone feel safe. Everyone at the college is kind and welcoming.

Brianna

TO Phtoto

brianna

From the few times of visiting FIT, I fell in love with it repeatedly. Similar to young love, I feel butterflies, bubbly and addicted to always coming back. I am glad to be able to attend this school because I can be a fickle person but my mind never changed about studying there. This is a feeling that all young adults like me should experience when finding their perfect fit at a college. Even though this year will be my freshman year, I have been to the city/college many times, that I feel right at home. FIT is small but still comfortable enough to get around, and the city makes up for it too. I can't wait of what my years at FIT would lead me.

Carson

Overall, a great school for students pursuing fashion and arts. Professors are really talented, and I learned a lot just from the first semester.

Paola

FIT is one of the best decisions I've ever made. The campus and professors are amazing and provide you a wealth of knowledge and opportunities being in the heart of NYC. They encourage students to explore their industries and provide great contacts and access. Some of my best memories are taking class trips to professors studios as well as having in-depth talks with them about their businesses. I was well prepared for employment by the time I graduated.

Charmayne

I am really fond of the college because of its diverse and creative environment. Everyone can freely express themselves and no one will judge them. Our skills and abilities are honed through activities in and outside the school environment. I believe FIT can help any student anyone reach its full potential if they try their absolute best.

gracie

wonderful place to learn and grow

Kalei

FIT is a great school, it has its up and downs like any college. The academics are great and really focus on the fashion industry, however, the students here are self absorbed. Personal success is very important, but these kids will go out of their way to bring others down. Also, res life is unhelpful.

Raychel

My overall opinion is very positive. The students and professors are always friendly and always ready to help. The class sizes are smaller so the professor usually has time to talk one on one with students, if needed. The professors are also very skilled and experienced in their field of teaching. The students are excited and willing to learn.

Kacy

Visiting the school was amazing and I plan to apply this fall. The atmosphere is great and theres such a creative energy that I love. The people leaving the tours were also so kind and helpful towards all of the visitors and it made the experience just a little bit better.

Jaina

The Fashion Institue of Technology is a great school. If you know what you want to do, and want to get started right away, FIT is the school for you. You get great experience within the city, and the teachers are knowledgeable and bring great information to each class.

Leanna

The Fashion Institute of Technology is a great place to expand horizons, learn new things, and make great friends! It is a school where acedemics meets fun. In the heart of Manhattan, there is so much to do, and so much to see. There are endless opportunities, waiting to be grabbed.

I graduated from FIT's Illustration AS program and got through 50% - 75% of FIT's Animation BFA before deciding to transfer to BMCC as a music major (UNIGO didn't have my major as an option to select so I picked the closest thing). I've attended FIT for a total of 3.5 years. I do not recommend going to FIT if you have even the slightest uncertainty regarding your major. My FIT experience was stressful and anxiety ridden constantly because the curriculum is quite rigorous and I wasn't passionate about the paths I chose. They are very serious about investing you in whatever you choose and if you choose something you aren't passionate/certain about you will be very unhappy. I maxed out on credits every semester (between 19 - 21.5 depending) and between school and work I had no time for myself or socializing. It's been a very difficult almost 4 years. I don't regret my time at FIT because I did learn skills I can apply to my new career paths in Music and Marketing. I met a Disney art director twice, have never had an issue finding a job, met working professionals in the industry and although some professors couldn't teach for the most part professors are leaders or substantial workers in the industry. The campus food is quite over-priced and of low quality (3 chicken tenders and fries is almost $10). Because you are likely to be busy be prepared to have little to no social life depending on your degree program. 90% of our student body is female and 75% commute to FIT. Overall I'm glad I'm FIT alumni, but I wish I didn't invest the last year and a half in a BFA program I wasn't passionate about. Be sure that your degree program is what you want or it will take its toll on you.

tayler

FIT is an amazing school and an opportunity of a life time. I think attending this school has been the best decision of my life thus far. Every professor is in, or has been apart of the industry for 10+ years, so you are learning from their experiences. With a FBM major from FIT on your resume you are guaranteed an interview at jobs you are applying for, the rest is up to you and you will be well prepared after all you learn at FIT!

Nicholas

FIT is an excellent school, providing an unparalleled technical education in design fields, prepping its graduates for work in their industries. Facilities built around its flagship programs (fashion, accessories, fine arts) are excellent if a bit outdated. Where the school falls short is in its tendency to compartmentalize its departments and keep students on a narrow track toward graduation. There are numerous programs and fields going on simultaneously at the college, but there aren't many significant opportunities to explore beyond your major. Students could be exposed to a much broader range of ideas and perspectives in their classwork and in on campus activities if different programs were encouraged to co mingle. One significant counterbalance that is already in place, however, is the extensive evening and weekend programs. Ostensibly offered to adult learners, enter[rising students can pick up extra courses at night to expand their experiences. What's more, after leaving the school these courses remain available, so alums can come back for additional skills and education any time. FIT makes a great choice for those design students with an entrepreneurial spirit and a strong desire to learn more despite a somewhat burdensome SUNY bureaucracy.

Emma

The Fashion Institute of Technology provides its students with real time opportunities and course materials that throw them into their line of study immediately. You do not waste your first couple of years taking only generals, but are able to start right away with major related courses. The professors offer unique insight to the industry you want to pursue a career in and they truly care about their students' success. The campus feels very safe and there are security guards practically everywhere, and willing to help you out in any way. The school has a few sports teams, but the major focus is on creativity and academia in each major subject. Overall, it is a great school, especially if you want to pursue a job in the fashion industry.

Camryn

Fashion Institute of Technology is a welcoming environment, has excellent professors, and is part of a wonderful city. There is always something to do, and I am always learning something new, whether it be in class, or out in the city, there’s always an adventure to be found.

Damian

It's wonderful and full of energy. Very vibrant. Nobody really gets in fights and everybody is welcomed. Events are always hosted and end up good for the students and the school at the end. I believe the students would fight for this school no matter what

My overall opinion of the Fashion Institute of Technology is pretty good. The education part of the school from my experience is good, most of the professors at the school come from the industry we're studying so it helps a lot. There have been some instances where the business electives I had to take were drab and didn't seem like the professors knew much but other than that my professors were very knowledgeable. On the other side, outside of the classroom, it was mostly a work hard play hard environment. Not much talk about politics and what's going on in the world around us. It was mostly safe conversation about harmless topics.

Robin

I think it definitely depends on your major and who you pick for your professors. Research them; a lot of fashion professors are stuck up and unhelpful. Fashion design is extremely difficult and painstaking, not for everyone in the slightest. However, there are many professors who have made me come to love this school since I've moved onto my fashion business major. I've found there are incredible business opportunities and chances to connect with other students, whether it be through clubs or even recommendations and information in emails from the department or staff. Certainly a school better suited for business students than designers.

Deidra

I really enjoy the environment and small class sizes. I like how friendly most people are and how easy it is to move around campus. It is somewhat affordable and I think the curriculums are very well set up. No class is completely useless which I enjoy.

Emry

The Fashion Institute of Technology is a very diverse and artistic college. Many ranges of ages and races come together to share things they love like fashion, art, and design. It’s a very good school to expand your knowledge of what you want to learn and there are many opportunities.

Jordan

F.I.T was, and still is my dream school. The opportunities at the school are endless and being located in the middle of New York City makes it feel like the world is in the palm of your hand. The teachers are all extremely experienced and although it is far from your average college experience, I wouldn't trade it for the world.

They do not have any means for caring about the student life, housing, or students in general. That became very evident with the coronavirus situation. Dorming had to be the dirtiest experience of my life, there was a roach infestation that took weeks for maintenance to take care of. Academics are stellar though.

Briana

It's a very liberal and very artistic community. I'm an illustration major (The drop down menu doesn't include my major, so I put graphic design). As much as I'm artistically nurtured at FIT, the general education classes are also incredibly helpful. The professors are often in the field as well, and are always willing to help out the students. We're a very fashionable bunch, and students are all about support and community with one another. If there's a problem, we all support each other to find a solution that will benefit us all. My only gripe would be that the school doesn't always accommodate students with how little time they have for each assignment. Most classes are three hours long, and with commuter students, this leaves very little hours in the day to complete all assignments necessary. But with a few visits to the academic counselor, these problems can be easily dealt with.

Yifang

Looking through the open door into the Fashion Design classroom, I watched intently students busy with patterns, fabrics and sewing machines, making something with their very own hands. And I found myself clutching a little tighter the “Fashion Quotes” essay in my hand for professor Offerman’s class. It got the full score of ten written on it. That was the moment I made up my mind to go ahead applying for Fashion Design because it is my dream and passion, no matter how many challenges may lay ahead. Every person has a passion in life, but I was unsure of mine until after the first semester at FIT. During senior year in high school when everyone was applying for colleges and talking about their dreams, I was lost without any directions, or rather, too many directions from well-meaning people around me. My own desire of getting into studying art just seemed imprudent, overwhelmed by the suggestions of what would be sensible for the job market. So, I applied to various schools for pharmacy, accounting, and graphic design. But I also applied for FIT because there was a small yet consistent voice prodding in my heart, reminding me about drawing, sketching and creating. My applications were all rejected but the one to FIT Fashion Business Management--the major mom insisted instead of Fashion Design. I am applying for Fashion Design major because that long-suppressed yearning deep inside of me was awakened. I am now a proud FIT FD college student, not only I was granted the opportunity to be the best I can be, but I was encouraged to have also worked hard for it.

Barbara

The Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT) is not a traditional college. The majority of students do not partake in Greek life or sports, however that is not our main focus. At FIT, students are passionate about the arts, design, and business. We pour our hearts into creativity and communicating our unique identities through fashion and apparel. Although the campus itself is small, being located in the metropolis of New York City exposes students to diversity and amazing opportunities. Professors have immaculate industry experience and help students network for jobs after graduation. Classes are specifically tailored for each major in order to prepare students for their future careers. The Fashion Institute of Technology does not fail to provide its students with many resources and fun, engaging events. The amount of aid that FIT provides to help students advance in their respective fields in unparalleled

SHANNEN AZUREDEE

I AM AT HOME WHEN I ATTEND CLASSES. THERE'S NO OTHER PLACE I'D RATHER BE. THEY HELP ME TO BE THE BEST VERSION OF ME AND ISN'T THAT HOW A SCHOOL SHOULD BE? I FIRST VISITED THE FASHION INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY A FEW YEARS AGO AND WAS ABLE TO SPEAK WITH A FEW GRADUATING STUDENTS AND WITNESS FIRST HAND WHAT BEING A STUDENT THERE WOULD BE LIKE. I'VE BEEN IN LOVE EVER SINCE.

GABRIELLE

I really like FIT. It's a little old and could definitley use some updating, but overall it's a great experience and the school has a lot of opportunities and connections. Kaufman Hall needs to be updated, especially the gym. The C building also needs a lot of updating. But honestly I'm not there for the decor of the school, I'm here to be around creative, passionate individuals, and that's exactly what I've got.

Isa

I love my school but there are some issues with recent budget cuts/merging of departments. This affects us students by having to pay more in tuition/fees and less quality working equipment for our classrooms. As a Fashion Design student expect to pay for all of your supplies including parts for the sewing machines (which used to be provide but because of budget cuts are no longer provided for us). Besides that I love FIT!

Nga Yi

The pros of attending FIT are (1) reasonably priced compared to school of similar reputation, (2) its location at the center of NYC fashion hub, (3) faculty's expertise, experience, and connections. Some negatives I can name are: (1) its focus on industry and consumer demands, though realistic, can sometimes stifle creativity, (2) limited funding and slow to change/update as it is a state school (though efforts have been made in recent years). Overall, I respect the students' drive and hustle - nobody is here to slack, and you will feel the pull. "FIT is what you make of it" said my ex-creative director and FIT alum; it is up to the student to make the most out their time and money spent here. You come with the creativity and vision, and FIT will teach the "how".

JANEI

Fashion institute of technology is perfect for the creative individual looking for a school that can cater to their needs. It’s also perfect for someone who truly appreciates art in all its different forms. At FIT, I know I can get the education I need to help me do something I love in the future. It’s a win-win!

Josh

It is a lovely place and beautiful setting. The organization of the campus and academics is amazing but could be simplified for an easier way to accommodate those that may be applying or transferring there and less confusing with the set up it has at this very moment.

Crystal

The Fashion Institute of Technology provides a healthy, well balanced environment for students. Everybody seems friendly and are willing to help one another whenever they are able to do so. Nobody seems to be strangers and it's a fun place to be in, but they are also serious about the materials they are learning and seem genuinely interested.

CAROLYN

Overall, I enjoy attending FIT. My professors are extremely helpful and knowledgeable and I feel like I am learning a lot in my courses. With that being said, I do find some cons with the school. For example, the design of the school is not very stimulating. It's quite bland and empty and sometimes stints my creative thoughts. Another thing is the dorming. I personally find some of the rules a little excessive; for example, signing in and out, especially students who attend the school but don't dorm. I understand it is safety precaution being that we are located in midtown Manhattan but I do find it to be annoying. Also overnights having to be registered prior to 4pm is the most insane rule because I cannot control circumstances and need be I have to have someone stay with me, I find it ridiculous that I have to jump through hoops in order to accomplish that. Location wise, the school is perfect for career but I do wish we were located more downtown and a similar feel to NYU.

Take our Scholarship Match Quiz!