Ferris State University Top Questions

Jenna

If I could go back to talk to my high school senior self, I would start off by telling her that the "future you" is the confident, successful young woman she always wanted to be. I would tell her to believe in herself, take chances, and never compromise who she is for anyone. I would tell her that freshman year will be tough not only for her but for the parents and family she's leaving behind at home, so call them every once in a while and let them know you're okay. I would tell her to seek help when she needs it; ask questions and be assertive. I would tell her that even though she hates it, that small town she's known forever will always be home, and she'll actually miss it. I would let her know that the world is full of people, good and bad, so always trust her intuition and never let anyone take advantage of her. Finally, I would tell her not to sweat the small stuff and enjoy college for as long as she can, because it flies by just as fast as high school does.

Haley

I would have told my past self to forget every thing when entering college, be a blank canvas because alot of what i learned about my field in high school is not applicable. I would say that life gets better, and there is alot to look foward to, so dont worry about what people think. The people you were with before transfering high schools wont matter, and they only held me back. Dont let thier influence keep its hold, and let go. the people your with now are the one who matter and will stick with you until you decide not to be with them. Accademically, high school doesnt matter, what you learn in college is whats going to matter because in reality, school before college doesnt give you the type of responibity you'll actually use, or the knowlege that every day life will affect. Finally, I would tell myself not to give into what society thinks i need to be, and to stop trying to be like the rest of my family, remeber everyones different, and trying to be someone I'm not will only hold me back.

Justin

If I could go back in time I would give myself advice about studying more and be more organized. You need to plan everything out and write everything down for your classes. One other thing would be get out and socialize with people more when you first start college to make more friends. College friends will be your friends for the rest of your life.

Alyssa

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to stop worrying about if everyone is going to like me and to focus on liking myself. Being in college now, I have definitely found myself and learned who I want to be and that I won't be able to please everyone. Not everyone is going to like you and that is something I wish I knew going into college. I would have told myself to stop buying certain clothes and make up because its the "cool thing" to do and I would have told myself to just focus on being me. No one can make you happy with yourself, only you can and I wish I knew that.

Eliese

Looking back, I wish that I had known that I was not the only person who didn’t have any friends coming with them to college. It seemed so scary, and I felt like I would be all alone. This however was not the case, and many people there were in the same boat. As long as one is open to talking to others and willing to make friends, he or she will soon have a group of close friends that he or she can rely on and spend time with. The friends will become a strong support group at college, and one will never again have to worry about feeling alone while at college.

Kaitlyn

If I were to go back in time, I would tell myself as a high school senior that I don't need to worry so much about the transition. It was hard at first to be away from my family, but as I adjusted and started my classes, which I love, and things got so much easier. I needed to get out of my shell and explore a new place that I had never been before. I needed to take that step in order to grow. As a child and going into adulthood, I was fairly sheltered and this opportunity to go to a school that I had never been before, doing something I have so much passion for, an hour and a half from home, is the greatest experience of my life. I would reassure myself that in the end, this is what I needed to become who I am today.

madeline

If I could go back in time I would tell my high school self not to stress out, that my life would both completely change and not at all. I would tell myself that I should not stress about all the high school drama, because my life in college would be exponentially greater, and I would find myself surrounded by people just like me. I would tell myself to keep true to who I am because people will respect me and support me as an indivual. Above all else I would tell myself to buckle up because the creative journey I was about to ride would be beyond compare. As a student in the art feild it is often easy to break under the pressure of competing artists and those more stilled that myself. But here I will find that this environment will push my work to become something greater that ever imagined.

1. Don't give up. There are times where things will get hard, but you will thrive. 2. Worry less. Stop comparing your self to other people. 3. Have fun! Take advantage of on campus activates to meet new people. Experience college! 4. Go for every opportunity you can!

Christina

Most high school seniors gets the thrill and ambition to move on with their careers and attend college. A lot of the thrill can completely block out the students ability to really plan. My family lives a very independant lifestyle; you do things on your own. Knowing that I would be paying for everything myself including food, tuition, rent, etc., I thought that I had it all figured out. I moved to grand rapids and reality soon hit me. If I could go back in time as a high school senior and give myself advice, I would tell myself to slow down and really plan things out more. Money is such a need in today's society and many dont really realize it. One needs to make a budget and really plan out the future of their payments. Slow down, enjoy life, and be responsible with your spendings.

Hanna

When I was looking into college my senior year of high school I must admit that I was very scared. I was afraid I was not good enough for art school. I was afraid that I would grow apart from the ones I love, and I was afraid I would have no support. I would go back and tell my self to breathe, and that I would be among people just like me, people who have a passion for art just like me who will help me improve. I would slap some sense into myself and say "Your family loves you more than ever and you will never grow apart from you! They will end up missing you like crazy!". I would assure myself that I have a huge support network such as my teachers, proffesors, fellow artist, all my friends and family, and of course my own two legs so I can walk forward and support myself.

Vincent

If I were to go back in time and visit myself as a high school senior, I would tell him to get Full Sail University out of his mind and suggest Kendall. I would explain that Kendall has everything he wants when it comes to learning animation. Also, I would tell him to prepare to spend a lot of money on tuition and supplies, and to enroll early to get the best of financial aid, and to get the best of class scheduling. Finally, after convincing him to go to Kendall, I would tell him if he wants to go for a college that allows him to animate for the rest of his life, then he better want it. I would let his passion for art burn in his heart so he can be more prepared to take on the hefty competition that Kendall displays for their students.

Meagan

Dear Meagan, don't worry about it too much! I know you are worried, but it's going to be fine. You have to just breathe, make time to do the things you need to do. Also, make sure you get a debit card BEFORE you move out, it will make everything so much easier. And another thing- take your driver's test, that'll help too. But about making friends, you'll do just fine! Everyone is excited to make friends when they go new places, so you won't be left out. Make sure you are ready to make time for all the homework you are going to get, because it gets really intense really fast- you have to be disciplined. You have to know when to sit down and start working, but also remember to get up and eat. One more thing- make sure you call your friends and family. Missing them in silence will just make them think you don't miss them at all. And good luck.

Keion

I had the chance to go back to tell my high school self I would tell him to apply for more scholarships while in highschool because those are a little easier to come upon and qualify for.Also I would tell him to search for a job and save his money a little more carefully because he may need a few more dollars while he is in college.

Aubrey

If I could go back in time I would tell myself a lot of things. I would tell myself to find God, because He is the best thing that has ever happened to me and I wish I would have found him sooner. I would tell myself to work less and create memories more, it's the friends and family that I miss most. In my high school days I took everything for granted, I now know not too. If I could teach my high school self anything, it would be about the eagle. Eagles are an amazing creature I didn't learn about until college and they offer a great life lesson. When it storms most creatures to hide to take cover, while eagles sore the sky. They rise higher and higher in the storm until they fly above the clouds where the storm is no longer. Life has its storms, and sometimes it seems like the storm will never stop. Instead of hiding myself like I did in high school I now sore through the storms and rise above them. I have a much more positive outlook on life now, I am so blessed to have this life.

Jared

When it comes to the most treteruous journey of my life thus far, succesfully completing my first year at college has taken the win. However, I acheived so many accomplishments that the entire journey was worth every moment. If I could tell myself something, it would be this and only this; accept that you are going to find yourself. In highschool, I could have never pictured in my enitre lifespan the amount of growth I gained as an individual. During my first year, I was put in situations where I needed to form my own morals, I needed to be honest with myself, and I needed to be honest with everyone around me because they are all that I have in this quaint, yet action filled town. In my own words, I would simply, casually, and calmly, tell myself that reality will hit hard in once in college, but accepting it and growing from it is key. Knowing what I have come to experience in my first year here, I now know that I can go through anything in life as a happy, independent indivual who can grauduate school and have an easy adjustment to real life after College.

Hannah

The best advice I could give myself if I were still a senior would be to just have a far more open mind and not feel so pressured into making any lifelong decisions. Before I graduated high school I felt as though everything were over, I had to choose what I wanted to do for the rest of my life, get a degree and have a typical office workplace and lifestyle as I grew up. Attending college has changed every possible outlook I have ever had on life. Listening to some of the most inspiring motivational speakers, meeting inspired older students who had such amazing experiences and stories as they furthered their educations and expertise. I never once saw myself where I am today. I couldn’t be more thankful that I decided to slow down and take some time to figure out what it was that I really wanted to do. I completely switched paths, leaving me terrified and upset that my first year of school wasn’t even applicable to anything I wanted to do. Now, I couldn’t be happier knowing that I’m going to be doing everything I love to do on a daily basis.

Ember

If I were able to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to get involved in every sport, club, and group that interested me. I would really push and tell myself why it is so important to dual enroll as a senior and to try as hard as I can in my college classes to make sure that all the money that my high school is spending on me to give me this opportunity will benefit me in the best way possible. I would also tell myself to hang out with as many of my friends as opossible throughout senior year and not to worry so much about working all the time, I'll have the rest of my life to work. It's important to spend time with the people you have grown up with before you all go your seperate ways in life.

Kennedy

I would tell myself first of all put a portion of every single paycheck into savings for school so stress wasnt so extremely high my first year. I would also tell myself to go into my first year not expecting anything, just to focus on grades and class work and let the rest fall into place. The biggest thing I would tell myself would be to not stress over the little things because in the end everything works out the way it is supposed to, and stress only makes situations worse. Balancing my sleep, friends, and school would be the last thing I would tell myself. Learn to give each enough attention, but to prioritize.

Kate

If I had the chance to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I'd tell myself to relax. The stress of going into the real world isn't worth getting your stomach in knots over. Of course it's very important and needs to all be figured out, but there's no need in making yourself sick. Apply for as many scholarships as possible, apply for financial aid, and narrow down the college that best suits you. If you don't know your major, so what. You'll figure it out. You'll change so much and figure out who you really are, and what you wanna do for the rest of your life will come to you. Be social, get involved, and meet new people. You'll meet some of the most unique people in college, so don't miss out on them. Just have fun. Definitely keep up on your grades and classwork, but also make memories that will last a lifetime. College is about the degree, but at the same time it's important to live for the nights and people you won't forget.

Alexandria

If I could go back now and give advice to my high school self, I think what I would be most adamant about telling myself is to not put things off. When my senior year was dwindling down, and all my friends were getting their accptance letters, I had still not applied to schools, yet. I think the biggest thing that kept making me want to avoid it was that I was scared I wasn't good enough or that I wouldn't get into the school/s I wanted to. Another thing I wish I had been more proactive about was learning all the financial ins and outs. A lot of things are learned hands-on, sure, but I feel like I wish someone would have been there to really help me understand all the different things I could do to help myself pay for school. Waiting is something that I shouldn't have done. I got into the school I wanted to, and I don't want to say all the nervousness I felt was for nothing, but I think I let it get to me more than it should have.

sarah

If I could travel back to my high school life and tell my self about college life it would be something like don’t give into fear. That transition was so big that I chickened out of chasing my dreams. It took me fifteen years to face the fear and it changed my life. School will be the most important thing you will do right now and it is totally worth it. If you are shy about new things then face then head on and do it with fake confidence because eventually it will turn into real confidence. 

The first thing I would tell my High School self, is to stop freaking out. I would sit my younger self down and tell them to stop stressing over the things that can't be controlled. I need to relax and just take things in stride, as life is always going to throw some kind of curve ball. The second thing I would say is to stop worrying about what other people think and to be the designer that I want to be. Everyone has their own style, and though I may not be an amazing illustrator, I'm good at and enjoy dealing with typography and layouts. Every person has their strengths and their weaknesses, hence why collaborating and working with others creates such amazing results. Finally, I would tell myself to get more involved. I wish I had volunteered more; it's so gratifying to help another student or bring a smile to a childs face at community events. These three years at Kendall have been amazing, and I can only hope that my final one will continue on being so. So past High Schooler self, stay calm, be yourself, and get involved. You won't regret it.

Jacob

There is a belief that if you work on something for 10,000 hours , with pure dedication, that you will master it. I would tell myself to put in that 10,000 hours. I would also tell myself that It really doesnt matter what school you go to because your education is what you make of it. If you are going to do what you love then you have to make sure that you can make money doing it. It means you have to be a artist who is determined to make a living doing what he loves. I would strongly stress drawing everyday. to not waste time. i would tell myself to never give up no matter how hard the going gets.

Joseph

I feel that I made a lot of mistakes in the transition from high school to college. Looking back now I feel that high school students are drastically unprepared for this transition and are left to figure a lot out on their own. The first thing I would tell myself is that nothing is handed to you and you need to put in the work to get the results you want. Secondly I would tell myself that preparation is key in college. The more you prepare and the sooner you complete the work the more successful you will be. This pertains not only to your homework, but for paperwork having to do with financial aid and all the other forms you have to fill out throughout your college career. Lastly I would tell myself that as hard as it may seem it is all worth it in the end and even though it seems like you are making a lot of sacrifices the feeling of reward you receive for working hard and doing well in your courses will pay off in the long run.

Andrea

Knowing what I know now about college and life as a college student, there are many things I would tell my "high school self" regarding the years to come. If my high school self asked my college self advice about what to expect in the college classroom, I would tell her that college is very fast-paced. Learning in the classroom and individually is required, and there is quite a bit of textbook reading that is required to do well in a college course. Additionally, I would tell my high school self to make as many friends as possible, because they will become some of the closest people to you when you are away from family and other familiar friends. Another thing I would tell myself as a high schooler is to be responsible with money, because college is very expensive and the cost will be a burden if you do not have a plan. I think that many high school students enroll in college thinking that it will be the time of their lives, but it turns out to be a lot more work than they were anticipating. I would hope that my high school self takes this advice.

When i was a high school senior, I actually had the opportunity to duel-enroll. Along with my high school classes my senior year, I was also taking three college classes both semesters. These classes were on high school campus, online, and college campus. Though this duel-enrollment program, I learned how to transition between high school and college a lot easier and sooner. I learned that with college there is a lot more studying needed to be down outside of class compared to high school. During this period, I also juggled working 36 hours a week. To be successful you have to learn time management, and at first I struggled with the concept, but now that I had this experience and opportunity I learned the skill I need that will allow to be even more successful at Ferris State University!

arianna

I would tell myself to fight for a spot in the AP art class senior year. I would tell my highschool self that I have so much potential and not to listen to those who did not believe in me or take criticism so harshly. I should have taken control of my own plans and schedules for school, and not to taken classes just becacause my peers were in the same classes. I should have been more focused on what I was passionate about and built a portfolio early on. I also would advise myself to have a bit of a social life outside of school instead of forcing myself to have my passion for art only be an after school activity because I didnt press to take art classes as an elective in school. I would like to have told myself that I have so much talent that I put on that backburner for so many years and I should have been proud of my work and continued in that direction instead of trying to find a more "acceptable" major in the eyes of society.

Tyler

The biggest thing i would advise myself as a high school senior would be to prioritize my time to better my future education. This would mean that I would enjoy the social life of high school but also crack into the books to set myself for more opportnities in college and get a comfortable cushion finacially going into my freshman year. I would also advise myself about the freedom that college gives and how it is different to high school living. I would explain to my senior self that the freedom in college can be overwhelming in a good way but also in a bad way. The fact that me being in high school and being on a slotted time schedule for 185 days throughout the year keeps you organized with attending classes. In college you have some down period inbetween classes which would force myself to organize my own schedule and follow them to get to classes on time and also not miss them. If i could go back and advise my senior self it would also get my mind wrapped around the fact of how real and grown up college will be.

Dear younger self, Try everything even if it scary. In college having a 4.0 isnt everything. take the time in high school those people you will never see again most likely. Being able to make friends is one skill I wish I had better. People in college are nice you just have relax and not be so anti-social like high school. Join the pep-club, go to football games. Be young wild and free. When you get to college you have to be able to meet people networking I have learned is one of the most importan things you can do. Have fun butt dont lose focus of the big picture. Ferris is where you belong cheering at a hockey game to study groups in the libary. College is the time of your life don't be scared you'll love it! Rachel

Ashlynn

You are so much stronger than you think you are, and do not let one not so good roommate experience determine your time in college. Stand up for yourself, take charge and make a change that is best for you. True, you may have to go through more transitions than others, but remember these are all life's lessons they help you to grow and learn, they do not define who you are and everyone there is going through the samething. Do not put so much pressure on yourself to know what you want to do for the rest of your life you are 18 and that's part of what going to college is, figuring out things. Think back to freshman year in high school, remember how lost and nervous you felt then and look where you are now.

I would definitely tell myself to try and get out of my shell. Get to know people on a better level. I woud tell myself to be a bigger part of the community that what I already was. Community is important, especially giving back to your community because that will in turn help you out later on in life. I would tell myself that although sports were a big part of my life, that my degree is what is going to get me where I want to go and although I did very well in school with sports, I should find other extra curricular activities to keep me busy. Being busy with sports and school kept me in great shape time management wise.

corey

If I could go back in time I would tell myself not to worry about all the little things in life, and to just focus on being happy and pursuing my passions. Too often in my generation kids get caught up in drama, or get caught up in worrying about the future, and then a few years later looking back on it all, most of it worked out in the end. I would tell myself to enjoy the present and be excited for the future instead of anxious. Transitioning into adulthood can be an extremely scaring thing, especially leaving home for the first time, but college offers this unique experience, you can totally reinvent yourself, the environment you're in totally changes and you get to learn alot more about yourself, because you're not around the same people you were before. I would tell myself "everything is going to work out, if you have faith in yourself and your abilities". I wish I would have took the time to enjoy it more, I proud of the way I worked, but disappointed I spent so much time worrying about things that were totally out of my control.

Laura

You're beyond nervous right now- shhhh. Relax. Everything will be alright, I promise. Would you like to know why? Trust yourself, and believe in yourself. You really can do anything you set your mind to. Don't worry about relationships you're leaving behind. You're not truly leaving them behind. You're actually using them to create new relationships on campus. They will be good people because you are smart, and believe it or not, you're not alone. Everyone else coming in is nervous too. Yes, even that "popular" kid. Again, you're smart and you'll learn to adjust. This is the time to truly find yourself. You will know what that means when it comes. They have so many programs and clubs you are welcome to join whenever your heart desires. You don't even have to go! If you prefer to just chill out in your dorm, that's okay. Leave your door open- metaphorically and physically. Say "hi" to someone or everyone. Don't take everything seriously. Live. Party. Study. Go to the rec center. Drink. Go on adventures. Persevere.

Megan

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself to prepare financially of what is ahead. I would likely tell myself to start out in a cheaper college for two years and finish with two years at Ferris State University where I was attending. I would tell myself to enjoy the high school life as much as I could and to not dwell on the small things. I would tell myself to go out for sports in the future, and to not be afraid of talking to different people. I understand how hard it is to transition into a different area and meet new people, and I would tell myself in the past that it is okay to let new people in. I tell her the amazing experiences that are yet to come, the hardships that I may need to face, and the amazing friends she will have in the future. If I could go back, I would, but I may not have to.

Corine

If I could go back in time and talk to my high school senior self I would tell myself to focus; to really think about what I wanted to do for a career. I would also tell myself to take school work a little more seriously because being on a sports team isn't going to always be what gets you to pass your classes and how much harder college work is, not to mention much more demanding. My high school senior self would also know how to do more things on my own and not rely on other people to push me because they won't do that in college.

Jacob

There are numerous lessons one could teach themselves if they were to go back in time. Girls aren't the most important part of your life; there are more fish in the sea. Don't try to be someone you're not; be yourself. Network with others; form business relationships. Take chances; you don't live twice. Be prepared. Don’t cram the night before; college isn't as easy as high school. Time management; your practice is your play time. These lessons are endless. However, I believe the most important lesson I could give myself; have no regrets. I would tell myself “The decisions you are about to make are going to mold and shape the way you act, the way you think.” Everyone wishes they could go back and warn themselves about the future. The fact of the matter is; the greatest gift in life comes from not knowing what is to come. Because if we knew what was to happen we would never make a mistake, we would never take chances, we would lose all emotion. If I could go back I would say trust in the plan that God has for you, and enjoy the ride.

Antria

Antria, be sure you take college-preparatory classes and try to engage in some of the college programs that are now available to high school students. Programs such as Upward Bound and Trade Programs. Practice good study habits and put in adequate time for homework. You will have plenty of time to hang out with friends and fun. Focus, Focus, Focus on your current studies and make it a goal to graduate with honors. During your senior year, attend as many college tours as your mom can afford to send you on. Research all schools of interest to determine the school that will best suite you and your college needs. Also, be sure to apply for as many scholarships that you are eligible for, it may seem like a lot of hard work, but it will be well worth it. (If you could see your loan bills now. LOL) Always know that obtaining a college degree is a goal that must be fulfilled, by any means necessary. You are an intelligent person and you deserve the best, but you have to be willing and ready to put in the work. Remember your favorite bible verse. John 3:16

Alexis

Apply for college, scholarships, loans, and FAFSA as soon as possible. And go into Art Education. You can become a great art teacher, just believe it yourself. It is a scary field to go into and maybe everyone does not prefer your college, but it is the right choice for you. Stop stalling and just do it. It's okay to be afraid of change. You just need to believein yourself and have confidence. You have been taught by the best teachers and will soon be taught by even more great teachers focusing on your field. Go after your dreams. You can obtain them if you put in the effort.

Justin

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, the biggest piece of advice I would give myself would be to focus on the things that I love and take advantage of more opportunities. I wasted a lot of time, energy and money on courses that I had little to no interest in just because I thought they would take me down the safest path for my future. One thing I have learned since high school is to play to my strengths. I would also encourage myself to seek out advice by utilizing my school councelor or even talking to my teachers about my future. There are so many resources available for students and I really regret not actively seeking them. By embracing help from others, playing to my strengths and exploring new possibilities, college becomes the most valuable growing period in a young person's life. Although, I believe that my college experience has been amazing and rewarding, I can't help wishing I could go back and talk to my younger self. I left far too many opportunities untouched.

Lexi

The single most important piece of advice I would like to give to my high school self is to not worry about the transition. Worrying only makes things harder. I was nervous about not knowing anyone. None of my closest friends went to the same college. About 3/4 of the way through my first semester, I found a group of students that were just like me. They didnt know anyone either and had be apprehensive as well. Had I taken this advice before starting college, my transition would have been easier. I dont regret any second of it but I could have saved myself a lot of worrying. In the end, I ended up with a great group of life long friends because I decided being open and willing to meet people and participate in activities would only benefit me through experience.

Karrie

Ahh... To be in high school again and not worry about money would be wonderful, but we have to grow up one time or another. When I was in high school all I wanted to do was go to a big college. Let's be honest though, It takes a lot of money and effort to go to a huge university. If I could have convienced myself to go to a community college first I would probably be more ahead and comfortable money wise than I am. I went away to a university my first year and ended up coming home to the community college, if I would have only done that to begin with I would be a little further ahead than I am today. After I got my associated degree at the Community College I decided to transfer then to a University which in this case I do not have to pay for on campus housing or food like I had to my first year. Ultimatley I am pointing out that you can save so much money by going to a Community College and get the same education as a University, then transfer after your first two years.

Edyn

If I could go back in time when I was a senior in High School, I would tell my self to open your eyes. My first year of college was a waste of money and time. When I put a hold on my dreams I thought that I was making the right decistion, saving money and getting a substantial degree. Then when I finished my associates I would go back to an Art School to follow my dream. By not going striagt to an Art Schhol I lost my passion of photography and I almost gave up my dream to a subpar life style. I've learned time is everything and so is money. If you have a dream or a goal push yourself and never take no as an answer. So looking back I would tell myself to always prusue your dreams and never take the easy way out.

Alexa

If I could talk to myself in high school as a senior, I would sit myself down, look myself in the eyes and tell myself this. "Listen, Alexa. You're a senior in high school and you have no idea what you're going to do. You have no idea where you want to go, what you want to do, and eventually you're going to settle. But believe me, it's the best decision you're going to make. You're going to experience so much, you're going to live in a whole new situation, but it's going to be the best year of your life. Be ready for everything you're going to do, prepare yourself for a great year. Make sure you're ready for this experience, go in with an open mind. And Alexa, it's really important that you focus on school, especially now. Just because you're in your last year doesn't mean you can slack off. And it won't be good for you next year. You're going to be so happy, Alexa. Just be ready for a whole new world, it's so fun. And be happy!"

Alicia

College is a great time to get to know yourself and many other different people. If I were able to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would encourage myself to become involved with as much as possible and to stay involved. During high school I was a good student, but I did not realize the importance of networking and getting to know as many people as possible. Throughout my college years, I have gotten involved and met some amazing people that have helped me get to where I am today. If I could talk to my high school self, I would say to get involved earlier and keepall of the important friendships. I would also remind myself to take school seriously, but remember to have a lot of fun during the college years. I think the best way to get the most of college is to enjoy your time as a student and become very involved.

In high school, I never needed to know how to study on my own time. As a sophomore college student, I would definitely advise myself to figure out how to learn on my own time, because there is never enough time to learn what is required during class time. The teachers/professors are always there to help, so if they offer their time to help you out, take advantage of that. It goes hand-in-hand with the whole "learning outside of class" concept. Taking great opportunities leads to success.

Travis

In a conversation with myself I would say, "You need to work on your note-taking skills; the books are long and full of information, but the information we need is generally discussed in class. You need to work harder in class now, because some scholarships are based off of GPA and you know what? These scholarships pay for your classes, but if there's any left over, they mail you the difference! You could literally be MAKING money off of your college attendance! Also, how are you going to pay for college?" To which I would reply, "I'll get a job and work; I'll make the money myself." Now the future me would be screaming, "Are you stupid?! You're going to work? At minimum wage you will make less than $13,000 full time annually, with all that work where are you going to find time for college? These scholarships, they will pay you THOUSANDS for a quick essay, and some of these essays require as little as two hundred words, leaving lots of time for college and less time working." My past-self would be speachless, jaw hanging open and in complete and utter shock.

Jamie

If I could go back and give my school senior self advice, I would tell myself to relax and embrace the changes in your life plan. Yes it's scary to move away from home to a school that you know no one in, but you're going to make some of the best friends of your lifetime while you're away at school. I would also tell myself that it's okay if things don't work out as planned. You might get to a class and realize that your major isn't for you. You're young and you've got your whole life ahead of you, so what if you take a little longer to get your degree? You'll lose some of the people that you think most important in your life, and new people will take their place. There's a reason for everything, and it will all work out in some way, shape, or form. Fight through the tears, the stress, and the heartache. It will be worth it in the end when you walk across the stage to get your diploma. Always remember your roots and be proud of yourself.

Megan

If I could go back and give my high school self advice, I would tell myself that college is nothing like high school. It is so much harder, yet better. I would tell myself that this is where you meet the friends that you will have for the rest of your life. That getting to know your professors is a great idea, that way they will be able to help you when you are having difficulties in class and someone to go to in case you feel the need to talk to someone. I would tell myself that going away to college was the best thing I have done in life so far and I would not change my decision for any reason. I would tell myself that I will meet people who encourage me everyday to stay in school and do my best.

Joseph

Younger me, you have no idea the adventures in learning and life you will undertake. Things will be difficult at first, but it will be better if you go out and meet new people. There is nothing in this world that is more important than making connections with real people. These people will be with you throughout your college career and will help you with all of difficulties that you will face. The transition to college will not be difficult because classes will be harder, they are not. The transition will not be hard to make due to a different place to live, because such things will always happen. The real difficulty that you will endure will be facing this new and exciting world on your own. There never has been and never will be a more important mission in college or life than this, to meet new people and build lasting important relationships. The people you will meet will help you to reach farther than you ever could by yourself. Do not miss out on spending as much time as you can with the people that matter. Good luck.

College is very expensive. I cannot express the struggle that college students go through by trying to pay for college. I am struggling to pay for it now, try to prevent that. Work. Work as much as you can to save up. Try not to take out a lot of loans because they will only hurt you when you graduate. Make sure you join an extra-curricular activity. I play rugby right now and joined some other RSOs. I have met a lot of people and made a lot of friends playing Rugby. I work on campus at the cafeteria now, it’s one of the best places to meet a diverse group of people. Don’t subject yourself to hanging out with one group of friends ever. Always make new friends everywhere you go. Get to know your professors and your academic advisor. They will be very helpful with anything you need if you do. Always go to the Writing Center for any paper that you write. They are very helpful. Go to the hockey games. They are always fun, a good way to show your school spirit, and a great place to meet some pretty great friends.