FIDM-Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising-Los Angeles Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for FIDM-Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising-Los Angeles

Alexandria

I had a hard time at FIDM. I was so excited to attend, yet things quickly went downhill. The education was subpar, yet the price was high. I had my handful of friends, but generally people weren't very nice and more concerned those that could afford a life of luxury (paid for by their parents typically). When my roommate wasn't throwing huge parties that always ended with the cops in attendance, blood on the walls, or both, she was bullying me. She set a whole group of girls out to call me names and say mean things as I walked the halls. This was really hard on me so I ended up dropping out. Granted I had also landed my dream job so it was perfect timing for this unfortunate situation. Overall it was not a good experience. To this day I don't include FIDM on my resume or tell people I attended there because the reputation has become more widespread in the design community. There are so many great design and fashion schools in the US and even just in LA, I would recommend attend elsewhere.

Chen

From what I've heard, FIDM is a good school for the arts and the teachers are very knowledgable in their subject.

Judy

FIDM is known as an overrated college, but the experience is like no other. The classes aren't too big and do prepare you for your major, with teachers who have actually worked int he industry. The resources are amazing and even as alumni, you are given access to many of their resources and help.

Eniola

FIDM is a great college to learn the core technical skills to become a fashion or textile designer. They have great facilities that are often available to students. There is hardly a scramble for sewing machines, drafting tables, etc. maybe only during finals. Printing is probably the hardest thing to get done given technical glitches during high traffic times. Otherwise, great access to resources. Also, the associate programs are great because they're relatively shorter than bachelors, etc. but programs like footwear design and other specific fields can only be taken after a previous associates from FIDM. So even if you have a bachelors from another college, you cannot just enroll for Footwear, Costume design and so on. Cons: It's a for-profit organization so it is expensive. There are also no scholarship options for international students, only a small amount based on merit for advanced programs. Anything else will have to be sourced on your own. No student parking especially since downtown LA got rehabilitated, so many developments took up parking lots so you're looking at $10/day, minimum. I would recommend FIDM for those who have a previous degree in something else and are now looking to pursue a career in design.

DeMarcus

My opinion of FIDM is that it is an incredible school if you want it to be. There are majors for everyone including graphic design and marketing. This school has an amazing facility and incredible resources that can put students ahead of the curve when it comes to the fashion world. The library itself is a gold mine! Also, the online portal is another way to access helpful programs such as Lynda.com and WGSN for free. The fashion Industry is incredibly competitive and fast paced so what better way to prepare yourself than by taking advantage of the latest technology and information that is offered to you!

Dai Lejai

I love FIDM, we have great professors, students, and staff in general. You learn so much here in everything you do. It is truly a great experience.

Essence

The Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising captured my heart during my recent visit there. EVERYONE, from the parking attendants, student advisors and instructors, were friendly and well informed about what FIDM offers. Cheers to my future!

Wen Zhu

My overall opinion of FIDM is extremely positive, from academic to school facilities. First and foremost, it has the biggest library in the west coast; each class only contains around 10 students. Therefore, students can learn more efficiently than other colleges. The ambiance in class is competitive yet students have very positive attitudes. Moreover, there are numerous of students’ activities; which allow students to be prepared for their future career and mingle with other students in the same time. Although, we don’t have a cafeteria but there is a student café and microwave at the student lounge, plus there are different restaurants near by. The professors are knowledgeable and helpful; there is a career center to help students to find part-time jobs during school. There is job fair every quarter yet internship to help students to enter the fashion field. Even though the tuition is awfully expensive, however, all the books and supplies are included. The location of my school is in the heart of downtown Los Angeles where is a metropolitan and cultural area. My only complain is the water fountains at school are not the cleanest. There are some students are not serious enough, due to lack of commitments and they think fashion doesn’t required hard work. About 20% of the students drop out every year at my school, usually they are from a wealthy family and spoiled. That would be beneficial to the hard working students at the end. Homework is plenty, so time management is important for those whom are working while studying. I highly recommended this school for people who are serious towards fashion.

Zandria

This school is a great school to attend if you are interested in arts. If you want to study fashion or marketing there is no better school than the Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising. The housing they provide allow you to get know your peers better . You can be roomed with people in the same major allowing your to have someone to bounce your ideas off of , in the comfort of your own home.

It is one of the brightest and colorful and open-minded places I've ever been to! The people are great and the advisers have really given so much help with all our information and guidance. Everyone is so kind and helpful and so generous when it comes down to you joining and being a part of the fidm family.

When I attended FIDM from 2012-2014 I was straight out of high school, moving completely across the country, and didn't know anyone. It was the best decision of my life! FIDM challenged me, made me think beyond what I thought I was capable, and I made valuable connections and friendships through colleges and professors. My time there was the best decision I ever made, and now I am debating on going back for another FIDM degree!

Mandy

It is a great college for people who is interested in a creative career. They will help you out on how to get you started on career and you learn hands-on.

The college FIDM in the city of Los Angeles is a good school. Every student I’ve met at the Institute, is mostly hard working and wants to put in the work to become successful in their future career of their choice. The school provides many opportunities to get involved, as written in their weekly newsletters and monthly calendar. We don't really have a proper cafeteria, it's mainly an eating section with vending machines. The professors are industry professionals who either work or worked in the retail, entertainment, social media, design, writing, or marketing industry. I don't live on campus or in La, I live with my parents and commute to save money because the cost to dorm or rent an apartment in La is like a monthly house payment. The classrooms are a good size. They offer opportunity to ask questions to your professor and actually get to know them. The curricular has projects you would do or make in the industry after graduation. I actually don't don't get involved much because I live far, but I've heard good things about the clubs and actives. The nearby shops and stores are available if you know where they are. There's a FIDM Cafe with healthy foods, Ralph's, Subway, and multiple restaurants.

Olivia

A great school with lots to offer. Located in the heart of Downtown, Los Angeles where the fashion industry is. People who attend FIDM are motivated and unique individuals who don't fit in with the crowd. A great aspect of attending FIDM is the opportunity to network and connect with other people interested in the same industry as you.

FIDM is a great school for creative, passionate students. They offer programs and activities that you won't find at most universities and the smaller environment allows better relationships among professors and students. I am so glad I heard about them and get to pursue my dream of going into the Beauty industry!

Morgan

Such an amazing school! Everyone is so friendly and willing to help you anything! The faculty is amazing! Classes are the best and the schooled resources are insane! I’m absolutely in love with my school! I’ve been wanting to go here since my freshman year of high school! Dreams do come true!!

Aiyana

I chose FIDM because I saw the opportunities that came with getting my degree. Because FIDM is in the heart of Los Angeles which is the city of entertainment, I saw this school as the place where I can make my dreams come true. I've searched through so many colleges for the Digital Media/ Digital Cinema major, and nothing fit my description of what I was looking for except for FIDM. Another great aspect of why I was so drawn to FIDM was that the instructors that are at FIDM are actually working in the industry world that you might be studying. To be taught by someone who has your dream career is extremely rare because you get the first-hand teachings of what you're going to do meaning learning the skills and techniques that they use.

diamond

I love it because the students are very similar to me and I feel like I fit in well and feel comfortable. It is a very artistic and supportive group who wants to see each other win. It is in the heart of DTLA and gives us access to many events and opportunities.

Reagan Marelle

Overall it was a fun experience. You have to really love what you are doing and want to work within the fashion industry to follow through with the school work and get the full understanding of the different areas that you need to know to work within the industry. I felt the teachers graded everyone the same, even though everyone wasn’t understanding or putting in the same effort and that is why I would say you have to want it for yourself to get the learning you need. I love pattern making, design, sewing and drawling, so for me, I loved my experience and took advantage of all the additional resources.