Canandaigua, NY
Finger Lakes Community College

I don't understand why anyone would start out at another college. FLCC is the perfect transitional school between high school and a four year college. The advisers are extremely helpful and personable, the professors genuinely care about your success and the academic standards are exceptional. The academic support options for students are abundant and available for just about every topic. The expectations the college holds you to are perfect to prepare you for transfer schools and the outside world. I feel very proud to have maintained a 3.8 GPA throughout my time here.

Scott

Highly recommend this college to students who are looking for a small school. This is one of the best community colleges in the area. You will not feel like a number as other colleges will. Most classes average 15 to 20 students allowing you to get to know the professors.

samantha

I would love to study here. It would be a dream already in the process of accomplishing... The school was Established in 1965. Students from approximately 350 high schools in New York State and across the United States enrolled at FLCC in Fall 2016. I get to learn from all around the world why so many people are interested in what Im interested to also.

Christina

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a highschool senior I would probably tell myself to work a little harder and not settle for anything other than what I had worked for and deserved.

The parking situation. There is one small parking lot right in front of the school that fills up very quickly and the other parking is approxamitely a half mile from the school. If you drive a large vehicle you have to park towards the back of the second parking lot and in the winter it is a very icy walk in to school and back out.

There isn't really any kind of person that shouldn't attend this school as they offer classes that transfer out to almost any four year school in almost any degree.

Dear High School Me, Don't worry so much. Even though good grades are important and you want to get accepted into a school, you must remember your happiness is more important. If you are staying up all night working on a paper or studying for exams or applying for scholarships, feeling extemely overwhelmed, don't. Go to bed. Do not compare yourself to others so much. Other people's success is not your failure. Unlike high school, no one cares if your hair is perfect, if you did better on the test, etc. In college, everyone has the same goal- get good grades and earn a degree. Do not be afraid to ask for help, because the college application process can get very confusing. Also, your classes will challenge you, so it's important you have something to help support you. But most importantly, remember that there is no need to be so worried because it always works out in the end.

Personally, I believe anybody would like FLCC. It is located in a beautiful area, the teachers are all extremely helpful and kind, and the class sizes are small, so you are not just a number. There is a lot of diversity, so no one person would feel out of place.

I believe the type of person who would not feel "at home" at FLCC is someone who loves a busy, fast-paced, highly populated place like a city. FLCC is not a big school (there are only about 7,000 students) and even though there are things to do around town, it is nothing compared to a large city. I feel that if someone who belonged in a city went to FLCC, they might get bored easily.

While attending FLCC I always felt like there was a strong drive for the college to help the student succeed.

I believe that anyone who wants to save money, or is undecided on what they want to study, should go to this school.

As a high school senior i was very unsure about my future and i panicked at the thought of not knowing where life might take me. In addition, my confusion led me to take some things for granted and miss some opportunities that could have helped me prepare for college. Now that i have gone through the transition from high school to college i wish i could go back in time to tell myself to relax and take every opportunity i could. I would also tell myself to not be afraid, since college is all about discovery.

The best thing about my college is its overall concern for the environment and its sustainability efforts. We have a sustainability committee that figures out how to make the college more environmentally friendly and also encourages high school students to be more actively involved in helping the environment through offering the honor of the Go Green Student of the Year Scholarship.

The most frustrating thing about my college is the difficulty of finding a parking spot. Oftentimes if you do not find one in the front parking lot you have to park way out of the way and walk ten minutes to get to class. This is also frustrating because if you do not get there ten minutes ahead of time you may be late to class.

Therese

FLCC is a small, close knot College. The comfortable and positive atmosphere is welcoming and friendly. The professors know each student by name. It has always been evident to me that each professor I've taken classes with is an expert in their field, and is genuinely interested in enriching the lives of students. It is a friendly and warm place.

This is a difficult question to answer. I believe everything happens for a reason. As a college freshman, I experienced many trials and struggles. It was the most difficult time of my life. During senior year of high school, I was certain there was only one University for me. I applied to that school, and only that school. My thought was that I'd be accepted there or enter the work force and perhaps attend a local school part time. Thankfully I was accepted at St Bonaventure University. It was not until mid-fall semester Freshman year that I began to realize I might have made the wrong decision. The advice I'd give is, "Do not be afraid to stay near home despite society's expectations, and stick to it. Trials are put in our path for a reason; and eventually they will pass. " I have since learned many difficult life lessons. Ultimately my SBU experience made me a STRONG individual with a high level of committment and exceptionally high standards. If I had realized back then that trials are temporary, I might have saved myself some time, money and heart-ache. I have learned from this experience.

I previously attended FLCC and acheived my original Associates' degree. I subsequently attained my BS in Health and PE. Since I originally graduated from FLCC in 1998/99, I have missed the warm, positive environment. I wish I had known of other colleges (4 yr schools) that are as inviting as FLCC.

Heather

If I was able to go back in time to my senior year of high school I would teach myself to be more determined and work harder. My senior year we only had one major project, which was our Benchmark. This was a very involved project and I worked really hard on achieving a good grade, but for the remainder of the school year there was not much for me to do. I would have found something to work on or helped with my community more. It is good to stay active and communicate with the people around you. Being more active with school clubs, my community, and to work harder in my classes are the few things I would better myself with.

Determination, dedication, and strive are good characteristics of the type of people who should attend Finger Lakes Community College. Honestly, no matter what college someone chooses to attend they should have goals and work toward fulfilling those goals. Hard working people learn to appreciate their grades rather than slackers because they put effort into their classes. People with good attitudes and respect toward fellow classmates and professors would be good for attending Finger Lakes Community College.

I brag about how cheap it is to afford to pay for a class out of my own pocket compared to other colleges. Personally, I thought 552 dollars was expensive for one 4 hour credit class, but many other college charge much more than that. The lower costs I brag about the most to my peers and family members.

James

If I could go back in time to when I was a high school senior, I would tell myself not to go into Mechanical Engineering because it is not what I wanted to do. I would tell myself that Fingerlakes Community College is where I need to start and to go into the Mechanical Technology program. I would tell myself not to worry about doing something that was unfamilar to me because at Finger Lakes Community College are many teachers and other students that would help me through the transition. I would tell myself that I will learn a lot of interesting things at college.

The best thing about Finger Lakes Community College is that it is a stepping stone into the real world. Unlike other colleges, FLCC has a small amount of students per classroom (~ 20-25) which makes the learning process much easier than in a lecture hall. The fact that FLCC has a smaller population of students also makes the "hands on" classes much easier because there are not too many groups.

What I brag about to my friends most about FLCC is that the teachers are very helpful and the classes are smaller than other schools. The teachers will make sure that you completely understand the material before they load you up with anymore. I really like FLCC being a smaller school because you are around the same people everyday and that makes me fell more comfortable and I get to know my classmates better.

Finger Lakes Community College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.