Canandaigua, NY
Finger Lakes Community College

Extracurricular Activities

Nearby Shops and Services

Christina

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a highschool senior I would probably tell myself to work a little harder and not settle for anything other than what I had worked for and deserved.

The parking situation. There is one small parking lot right in front of the school that fills up very quickly and the other parking is approxamitely a half mile from the school. If you drive a large vehicle you have to park towards the back of the second parking lot and in the winter it is a very icy walk in to school and back out.

There isn't really any kind of person that shouldn't attend this school as they offer classes that transfer out to almost any four year school in almost any degree.

Dear High School Me, Don't worry so much. Even though good grades are important and you want to get accepted into a school, you must remember your happiness is more important. If you are staying up all night working on a paper or studying for exams or applying for scholarships, feeling extemely overwhelmed, don't. Go to bed. Do not compare yourself to others so much. Other people's success is not your failure. Unlike high school, no one cares if your hair is perfect, if you did better on the test, etc. In college, everyone has the same goal- get good grades and earn a degree. Do not be afraid to ask for help, because the college application process can get very confusing. Also, your classes will challenge you, so it's important you have something to help support you. But most importantly, remember that there is no need to be so worried because it always works out in the end.

Personally, I believe anybody would like FLCC. It is located in a beautiful area, the teachers are all extremely helpful and kind, and the class sizes are small, so you are not just a number. There is a lot of diversity, so no one person would feel out of place.

I believe the type of person who would not feel "at home" at FLCC is someone who loves a busy, fast-paced, highly populated place like a city. FLCC is not a big school (there are only about 7,000 students) and even though there are things to do around town, it is nothing compared to a large city. I feel that if someone who belonged in a city went to FLCC, they might get bored easily.

While attending FLCC I always felt like there was a strong drive for the college to help the student succeed.

I believe that anyone who wants to save money, or is undecided on what they want to study, should go to this school.

As a high school senior i was very unsure about my future and i panicked at the thought of not knowing where life might take me. In addition, my confusion led me to take some things for granted and miss some opportunities that could have helped me prepare for college. Now that i have gone through the transition from high school to college i wish i could go back in time to tell myself to relax and take every opportunity i could. I would also tell myself to not be afraid, since college is all about discovery.

The best thing about my college is its overall concern for the environment and its sustainability efforts. We have a sustainability committee that figures out how to make the college more environmentally friendly and also encourages high school students to be more actively involved in helping the environment through offering the honor of the Go Green Student of the Year Scholarship.

The most frustrating thing about my college is the difficulty of finding a parking spot. Oftentimes if you do not find one in the front parking lot you have to park way out of the way and walk ten minutes to get to class. This is also frustrating because if you do not get there ten minutes ahead of time you may be late to class.

Therese

FLCC is a small, close knot College. The comfortable and positive atmosphere is welcoming and friendly. The professors know each student by name. It has always been evident to me that each professor I've taken classes with is an expert in their field, and is genuinely interested in enriching the lives of students. It is a friendly and warm place.

This is a difficult question to answer. I believe everything happens for a reason. As a college freshman, I experienced many trials and struggles. It was the most difficult time of my life. During senior year of high school, I was certain there was only one University for me. I applied to that school, and only that school. My thought was that I'd be accepted there or enter the work force and perhaps attend a local school part time. Thankfully I was accepted at St Bonaventure University. It was not until mid-fall semester Freshman year that I began to realize I might have made the wrong decision. The advice I'd give is, "Do not be afraid to stay near home despite society's expectations, and stick to it. Trials are put in our path for a reason; and eventually they will pass. " I have since learned many difficult life lessons. Ultimately my SBU experience made me a STRONG individual with a high level of committment and exceptionally high standards. If I had realized back then that trials are temporary, I might have saved myself some time, money and heart-ache. I have learned from this experience.

I previously attended FLCC and acheived my original Associates' degree. I subsequently attained my BS in Health and PE. Since I originally graduated from FLCC in 1998/99, I have missed the warm, positive environment. I wish I had known of other colleges (4 yr schools) that are as inviting as FLCC.

Heather

If I was able to go back in time to my senior year of high school I would teach myself to be more determined and work harder. My senior year we only had one major project, which was our Benchmark. This was a very involved project and I worked really hard on achieving a good grade, but for the remainder of the school year there was not much for me to do. I would have found something to work on or helped with my community more. It is good to stay active and communicate with the people around you. Being more active with school clubs, my community, and to work harder in my classes are the few things I would better myself with.

Determination, dedication, and strive are good characteristics of the type of people who should attend Finger Lakes Community College. Honestly, no matter what college someone chooses to attend they should have goals and work toward fulfilling those goals. Hard working people learn to appreciate their grades rather than slackers because they put effort into their classes. People with good attitudes and respect toward fellow classmates and professors would be good for attending Finger Lakes Community College.

I brag about how cheap it is to afford to pay for a class out of my own pocket compared to other colleges. Personally, I thought 552 dollars was expensive for one 4 hour credit class, but many other college charge much more than that. The lower costs I brag about the most to my peers and family members.

James

If I could go back in time to when I was a high school senior, I would tell myself not to go into Mechanical Engineering because it is not what I wanted to do. I would tell myself that Fingerlakes Community College is where I need to start and to go into the Mechanical Technology program. I would tell myself not to worry about doing something that was unfamilar to me because at Finger Lakes Community College are many teachers and other students that would help me through the transition. I would tell myself that I will learn a lot of interesting things at college.

The best thing about Finger Lakes Community College is that it is a stepping stone into the real world. Unlike other colleges, FLCC has a small amount of students per classroom (~ 20-25) which makes the learning process much easier than in a lecture hall. The fact that FLCC has a smaller population of students also makes the "hands on" classes much easier because there are not too many groups.

What I brag about to my friends most about FLCC is that the teachers are very helpful and the classes are smaller than other schools. The teachers will make sure that you completely understand the material before they load you up with anymore. I really like FLCC being a smaller school because you are around the same people everyday and that makes me fell more comfortable and I get to know my classmates better.

Dave

My school is oblivious, they do not know how to follow their own rules and it is led in a biased manner whether they know it or not.

My classmates are generally hard working indiviuals, yet seem to be overwhelmed by peer pressure activities.

I would tell myself to study harder for the SAT's, and begin the whole process sooner. I would make sure that I didn't have an anxious feeling as I approached the end of my year by securing a good GPA and keeping my studies up above all else. I would also have applied for scholarships sooner, knowing now that they are very difficult to get.

Ellene

FLCC is the only college I have attended. I have not been in school since 1975 and things have changed drasticly I am impressed with the newer technology which FLCC has available to students. All of the staff is very helpful with all issues and questions. The campus is very beautiful and modern located in a very nice medium sized city very convienent to Rochester and Geneva and other colleges.

College is not like high school. Sure you still have to go to go to class and answer to teachers, but the responsibility is yours alone. Mom and dad are not standing over your shoulder hounding you to do the work. If you are living on campus, there are only distractions to keep you from working. You must have your own determination and drive to complete the work and studing to get the grades you need to get the diploma. Had I known there were so many prerequisit classes to take, I think I would take as many as I could to get them out of the way. If you don't have a degree in mind it is a good idea to get any and all possible prerequisits done while deciding what you might want to do. This is also a good time to get to know the college and its workings and staff. A community college is a good place to start, it is generally less expensive, while deciding what you want to do.

Parking is a very big issue at our campus. With enrollment up and construction going on around the school parking can be difficult. While there is plenty of parking in various parking lots, the walk from some of the lots is 10 minutes or more and this time of year can be very cruel with the weather.

If I could go back and talk to myself about college in my senior year of high school I would definitely tell myself not to slack off and to take as many classes the school had available and would allow for me to take. I would also tell myself not to worry about what other students thought of you, college is nothing at all like high school and it won't matter. I would also tell myself not to stress over the college process, enjoy it. It's a great opportunity and you should enjoy the experience of being able to pick your future and where you are going to start it from. The last thing I would tell myself would be, "Don't take college life for granted, get everything you can from it and enjoy it while you are there. Aim high and don't be afraid to ask questions and you are guaranteed to succeed!"

Everything! The staff, students, programs, and extracirricular activites are all great and very helpful. I'm a returning adult student and the school has so many options available that it makes it easy for me to fit school into my busy home life. I was worried about going back to school but FLCC has made it so easy and so much fun that I am glad I decided to go.

I don't really think there is a bad thing about FLCC. I do get rather frustrated with their Financial Aid Office at main campus, but I avoid them by contacting the Financial Aid Office at one of the off-site campuses.

We use the most current publicly available data. As such, we don't remove or edit college information. Sources for school statistics and data include the U.S. Department of Education's National Center for Education Statistics and the Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System. Portions of college data include copyrighted material, which is reproduced on this website by permission of Wintergreen Orchard House, a division of Carnegie Communications. © 2009-2016 by Wintergreen Orchard House. All rights reserved.
Financial aid at this institution is only available for those who qualify.