Canandaigua, NY
Finger Lakes Community College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Finger Lakes Community College

Ellene

FLCC is the only college I have attended. I have not been in school since 1975 and things have changed drasticly I am impressed with the newer technology which FLCC has available to students. All of the staff is very helpful with all issues and questions. The campus is very beautiful and modern located in a very nice medium sized city very convienent to Rochester and Geneva and other colleges.

College is not like high school. Sure you still have to go to go to class and answer to teachers, but the responsibility is yours alone. Mom and dad are not standing over your shoulder hounding you to do the work. If you are living on campus, there are only distractions to keep you from working. You must have your own determination and drive to complete the work and studing to get the grades you need to get the diploma. Had I known there were so many prerequisit classes to take, I think I would take as many as I could to get them out of the way. If you don't have a degree in mind it is a good idea to get any and all possible prerequisits done while deciding what you might want to do. This is also a good time to get to know the college and its workings and staff. A community college is a good place to start, it is generally less expensive, while deciding what you want to do.

Parking is a very big issue at our campus. With enrollment up and construction going on around the school parking can be difficult. While there is plenty of parking in various parking lots, the walk from some of the lots is 10 minutes or more and this time of year can be very cruel with the weather.

If I could go back and talk to myself about college in my senior year of high school I would definitely tell myself not to slack off and to take as many classes the school had available and would allow for me to take. I would also tell myself not to worry about what other students thought of you, college is nothing at all like high school and it won't matter. I would also tell myself not to stress over the college process, enjoy it. It's a great opportunity and you should enjoy the experience of being able to pick your future and where you are going to start it from. The last thing I would tell myself would be, "Don't take college life for granted, get everything you can from it and enjoy it while you are there. Aim high and don't be afraid to ask questions and you are guaranteed to succeed!"

Everything! The staff, students, programs, and extracirricular activites are all great and very helpful. I'm a returning adult student and the school has so many options available that it makes it easy for me to fit school into my busy home life. I was worried about going back to school but FLCC has made it so easy and so much fun that I am glad I decided to go.

I don't really think there is a bad thing about FLCC. I do get rather frustrated with their Financial Aid Office at main campus, but I avoid them by contacting the Financial Aid Office at one of the off-site campuses.

Cynthia

The main thing that I would tell myself is to stay focussed and don't allow myself to be distracted and let my grades fall. I can't stress that enough (because that's exactly what happened and I'm paying for it now). SCHOOL COMES FIRST!!!! Then I would tell myself to NEVER have sex without a condom. Lastly, have fun and be prepared because life is about to change. In my first year of college, I have been through so much that I have really regretted. But now that I think about it, I don't think that I would change any of it. All of that crazy stuff that has happened to me, I learned to accept it and take it all in as a learning experience. My first year of college has helped me grow and shaped the person that I am becoming. So despite everything, I would tell myself to fasten my seatbelt, because it's a long, bumpy ride....but like a roller coster, it'll be scary and fun. And at the end of the ride, you'll come out standing with your head held high, sharing your experience with others.

I wish that I could go back in time and tell myself that graphic design isn't a major for me so I shouldn't waste my time. I would also tell myself that no matter what, stay focused. Not to let any guy distract me from school. And ultimately, I wish I could have pointed out who to stay away from and given myself the lecture of condoms because STD's do exist. All this info would have saved me lots of pain, tears and time. But I guess everything is a learning experience that helps us grow.

When talking about my school, I brag about how it allows me to be my own person. Coming to this school has helped me grow up as ajn individual and have a better look on life and of myself. I also talk about how friemdly the people are; I love it here.

Ryan

I'm 26 year old father of a very bright and beautiful four year old daughter. Unfortunately, I'm only blessed with her presence 4 months out of the year instead of 12 due to my inability to prove my knowledge to the court system due to lack of actual evidence. This caused my life to be much more complicated, greatly affecting my mental and physical well-being. Instead of choosing to take the wrong path, I chose to set my goals as high as possible. I decided I wanted my daughter to not only know me as a father, but to look at me as very positive central person. Until this past year I took my early adult life for granted not really knowing where I stood in this world, which caused a very slow transition process. My outlook has changed now and I would give myself this advice. Even though the 12 or so years of school seem so tedious when you are young, it is just a small portion of your whole life. Not only can tragedy or unexpected circumstances make humans accomplish great feats, but with the right amount of determination you can do almost anything.

Finding parking close is very difficult; you have to be there around 7:00 AM just to get the limited 200 close spots. With the cold and the amount of snow we get in New York the walk quickly becomes a nuisance.

The school takes pride in maintaining a sustainable, environmentally friendly reputation and is likely to be one of the best community colleges in New York State for biological related fields. Teachers are very well respected and the school has ties to renowned universities such as Cornell.

I would tell myself that I need to keep my grades up and keep pushing to get my gpa up so I could get my choice of colleges to go too. I didn't and I had no choice but to really go to a community college to get my grades up. It's important to keep focused so you can get the full extent of the class and to accomplish at a higher level so you have the option to continue how you want. No matter what, keep going, keep trying.

I wish that I had known more about how the programs work . I started as a physical education major and had to go elsewhere for the physical education classes and had to pay extra as well as get myself there. I also wish I knew that there are not very many extra curricular activities like club sports to part take in. I find those important to know.

The most frustrating thing at my college is the activities. When classes are taken and you have a big break you don't have anything to fill it with. There is no pool to take a swim no racquetball court to play even thought they offer both classes. There is a work out but only if there is no class in there. It's hard to do nothing and then have no fun clubs or sports to part take in to keep in shape and having fun.

Finger Lakes Community College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.