Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University

Dorothy

Great!

Donea

As HBCU's goes , there is nothing better than FAMU. From set Fridays, to Fried chicken Wednesday, even to the study hall Saturdays, this is definitely the best choice. With teacher who care and a welcoming atmosphere you will enjoy your 4 years here.

So many life lessons have been taught since being accepted and visiting FAMU, the university teaches independence, responsibility and accountability. I am glad to be a rattler, I encourage high school seniors to apply and become a rattler, I will use these experiences in my post college life.

My overall opinion of Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University would be that it's a great school. I love the many different food options that they have on campus and the different activities there are to partake in. I also like the many volunteer opportunities that they offer on the regular. In addition to that the learning environment is one that I find very beneficial.

Catherine

As a second year student at Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University I must say the number one component of the school is the spirit. Alumni, current students, and prospective students all have an extreme love for the school and the student body. In my opinion FAMU is among the top HBCU's . From preparation for the real world, providing excellent networking practice, and providing organizations that appeal to all people FAMU would be a great choice for anyone interested in attending.

Alexis

I love the school. The moment I stepped foot on campus I was instantly greeted warmly. We call ourselves a FAMUly because it truly feels like one. I recommend many of my friends and family heading to college to also consider FAMU when applying. I LOVE MY HBCU!

emely

I am extremely proud to be apart of the RATTLER family. Im looking forward for the spring semester of 2017!

Ayanna

Over the course of my senior year spring break I was given the opportunity to visit several college campuses and speak with some of the faculty about possible admission. One university that I would like to rant about is Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University. This university has a beautiful campus, filled with glorious hills and students and faculty who portray the vibe of a family who support each other in there strive for greatness. When I visited over spring break as a prospective student I received a personal tour of the campus and dorm and got to speak with many of the students about life on the hill as they say. This stood out to me because the other tours I participated in never had students who were will to take the time and stop to speak with me about campus life. The other tours had maybe one student, if at all, speak about general information that sounded rehearsed. While at FAMU students would stop, and tell their stories, and the down-sides and upsides of the campus. This opportunity, was made available by campus faculty was eye opening. The school was friendly and had staff that was willing to help me with all my needs and the majority of my wants. I can say out of all my college tours this one was very personable. It gave me the opportunity create bonds and connections with some of the faculty and students. Which as several students is extremely important, especially as a freshman. Since the visit, I have enrolled and plan to start in the Fall of 2017. One of the main reasons behind choosing FAMU was that I could see myself being successful, in the sense of the saying “It takes a village to raise a child”. FAMU offers that feeling of a village of people who will help you reach your dreams and aspiration.

Sherlanda

Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University will surely give you an experience that will be remembered. As an incoming freshman, there were a few things that I had to adjust to, especially since I was coming from a different town. The culture at my school is a little different compared to most because it is a historically black college or university, which brings a different culture to the table. During move-in week, there were many upperclassmen who volunteered their time to provide a smooth adjustment to the school. Some people who helped me move in, kept in contact throughout my first semester at the school which helped me a lot. There was a very inviting environment that could be found everywhere on campus. The advisors were very proactive and on top of creating the perfect schedule that would ensure me graduating on time. My professors were very dedicated to teach the topics they were so passionate about. Many of them made themselves available during their office hours to accommodate to responding to their students questions, concerns and issues. The cafeteria food has a wide range of options that provides choices for individuals of all ethnic backgrounds. College was everything people talked about and more; getting to know what I like and dislike, the type of people I like to surround myself around and even the different learning environments that work for me.

Syria

I can honestly say that I have found my place at Florida Agricultural & Mechanical University. This is an accredited, top ranked historically black university and has the best program for my major of engineering. The students along with the staff are kind and helpful. Campus nightlife is always fun; there is always something going on on campus. A down side of this university is its financial aid office. They are the worst with answering calls and getting back to students about financial situations.

annie

FAMU is a one of a kind university. The staff and faculty provides daily assistance to make students feel well adjusted.

Felicia

The opinion I have towards my future school I'm hopefully have the chance to graduate from is, so far amazing the people are great . Everyone is very welcoming you can meet people who are just like you or you wouldn't be expected to be friends with its great I can honestly can say. I hope my kids and the generation further down can come to this school with by any means . The beautiful vibes or feeling it gives off the positive feed back it gives. I love this school by all means everyone should try to go at least 1 semester or game it's so open to the public and it's to it's community.

Bella

FAMU is a wonderful university with a rich history. The students expand their academic minds as well as their global ones. The university has many programs and clubs for those who want to explore different cultures or different parts of themselves. The staff and professors are professional and helpful. FAMU is a place where oe can succeed no matter what.

I got some reviews on the school but never really got the chance to visit the campus for myself. It's a good school to go to if you'll looking for a cheaper education. Students there is very friendly and honest. They look out for each other, especially for freshmen's since it's their first year.The campus is a beautiful scenery, with the different housing areas and the class rooms are a good average size for the student to get as much help as needed. I'm hoping if i get the chance to attend FAMU I can get the same experience as everyone else.

Mackenzie

The university as a whole is great. The dorms could use some work as well as the structure of the stadium, but otherwise the university is wonderful. The experience I have gained just from attending classes here have helped me grow mentally, adding on the volunteering, organizations I am a part of, and the friends I have made and I truly have developed into a young adult that has an idea of how to approach the real world. It's not for those who are not willing to put effort into themselves and their work. Students, faculty, and alumni are proud of claiming this university and if you can't appreciate it for what it is, this may not be the university for you.

shamur

It is a great school that everyone should give a chance to be part of.

Kaiyah

"Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University, October 3rd 1887- WHAATTT!!!" IF THAT DOESN'T TELL YOU HOW MUCH I LOVE MY HBCU, THE NUMBER 1 HBCU IN THE EAST MATTER OF FACT, THEN I DON'T KNOW WHAT DOES! FAMU is historically renowned for its participation in African American historic restoration (hence the Tallahassee's on-campus Black Archives) as well as the participation of current events surrounding the community, the statehood, global networking and international participation of minorities impressions to further diversify within the college scene of the United States of America .

Florida agricultural and mechanical university is one of the most affordable schools in the state of Florida. There are great wonderful opportunities there and variety of options to choose from and your education. Personally I’m interested in the arts, and Florida agricultural and mechanical university has one of the best visual arts program in the state.

Rayna

My overall opinion of FAMU is that we are a family and no gets left behind. I know that sounds a bit cheesy, but everyone is your support system. Students, staff, and faculty are there to help every step of the way. You will never feel out of place and being involve on campus is a must because no matter what you do there is always something that a student can achieve in. That's why I bleed ORANGE AND GREEN!

Tolu

Florida A&M University is a great place to be. I recommend it.

Skylar

Florida Agricultural & Mechanical University has everything a student needs to be successful in personal and academic lives on campus. This campus literally provides so many ways for me to reach success, I feel like every Rattler wants me to win in life.

Gabriela

I love my FAMUly but there are so many things we can work on despite our highlights. This school will definitely change a person for the better and constantly motivate you. FAMU is an HBCU and this institution often goes overlooked for others and that make me sad. We have such a large presence and spirit but I wish we could get out as a student body and do more off-campus​ activities and not just on campus events that target groups. FAMU could be so much better if they also received the funds they deserve in order to continue making this school one of a kind.

Sariah

Overall, I feel that Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University is a great school. the professors really try their best to help the students succeed. Also, there is always something going on campus. So, there's always something to do. The dorms are nice and they go really fast, they are a bit cramped. Being a student at Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University has made me a more outgoing and positive person. I can easily make friends and I find it very easy to talk to others. Attending this school has instilled me with responsibility. All in all, I love my school and I wouldn't even consider transferring.

Demoria

It is wonderful so far. It is like a family when you are away from your real family.

RaNya

Attending the Florida A&M University had to be the best decision I ever made. The things I liked the most about the school was that the environment and culture makes you feel right at home, especially if you're not from Tallahassee. The school offers a plethora of resources that helps a student succeed life after FAMU. Of course, the school could use improvement when it comes to availability of staff and administration but overall they treat you like family on the hill.

Daaijah

FAMU is a very close school. Every class is a family and we help each other excel and succeed. The campus is on the small side, so everything is with in walking distance. There are many facilities and programs that are available for the students to use when ever they need help.

Chadaja

Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University (FAMU) is an amazing university. The students and faculty are a big FAMUly. The classes a quite difficult but there is always someone to study with in the library. If the library isn't enough then there are also places where FAMU offers free tutoring. Th campus is extremely safe. There are police that are on campus 24/7 and places where you can call for help everywhere on campus. Off campus living is kind of expensive but everything is close to campus. Attending FAMU is one of the best decisions I've made in my life.

Isis

My first thought of attending a Historically Black University/College was full of excitement. I’d be following in the footsteps of my parents and grandparents as a third generation Rattler at Florida Agricultural & Mechanical University. It wouldn’t be my first time stepping foot on campus as a freshman, I’d been to FAMU plenty of times growing up. But, this would be my first time experiencing college life and embracing all it had to offer. College is truly the place where you discover who you really are. I went through my share of bad friends, late nights studying and young adult drama – but what other way to start college but with a rough beginning? FAMU helped immensely in my efforts to not drown in the sea that was college life. FAMU opened my eyes and showed me the countless possibilities of what it meant to be a Rattler. I could voice my opinion about my school through FAMU Student Government Association where the students and committee members spoke about school politics. Or, I could use my voice as a creative outlet through Voices, our poetry slam group. I could get involved with the Tallahassee community by joining our many community-based organizations such as Chance to Impress Mentor Program, Big Sister Little Sister/Big Brother Little Brother Mentoring Program, and other programs whose main focus is to get students involved with the community through activities. As a Broadcast Journalism major, I directed my attention to the school’s newspaper The FAMUan as the news editor to make sure that my fellow classmates are well-informed about anything that happens on campus. At a first-hand glance, FAMU is a beautiful school. The scenery is breath-taking, flower bushes neatly trimmed, lawns freshly mowed, and buildings enriched with history. Though, when you take a closer look, you’ll get a glimpse of the real beauty that is FAMU – the students. The students that make up FAMU, though from different backgrounds and ethnicities, cultivate a culture of their own. You have students of various descents such as African, Haitian, Bahamian, Caribbean; that bring together a certain uniqueness to this historical college. Combined together, the diverse student body of Florida Agricultural & Mechanical University creates a picture of different shades of blackness – showing a representation of some of the best and brightest students in the country.

Alexandria

I was not to sure what to think about FAMU at first, but if there is one thing I know for sure it is that I have grown more while attending FAMU than I ever thought possible. FAMU will teach you how to survive, it will test you, but at the end of the day it will never let you fail. This prestigious University will give you all of the tool that you need. It is up to you to accept the challenge.

Sa'Naysha

My overall opinion is that my school can do better. A lot better, in regards to everything. The food, the employees, professors, departments, transportation, everything could use improvement. Yes their are good times in campus but sometimes the bad stands out more. Some professors are willing to help while others believe they are simply here to do their job and that’s it. The student body has select people who are wonderful but otherwise this campus is a popularity contest.

Schmidt

Coming to Florida A&M University was the best decision of my life! It grows on you, everyone is so kind and the activities are fun. They are always doing something to get the student to participate and win prizes. The professors know you by name and can help you in the long run as long as you do your part. Being in the dorms were fun, I've met new people and created bonds i probably wouldn't have if i lived off campus my first year. i see now why they made it mandatory for freshman to live on campus our first year, it creates memories and experiences that they probably wouldn't have. Yeah there are minor problems but as soon as those are fixed, everyone is just relaxed. i feel like my HBCU is the best and i don't ever regret coming here. I Love Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University.

Imani

Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University is a good school. It has more than enough potential to be a great school, The students, staff, and the overall atmosphere makes you feel comfortable. One would say that Florida A&M University is like a second home. All in all, Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University offers a good educational foundation that will be useful in the future.

Alisha

FAMU is amazing I would recommend it to anyone that wants to be around the diversity of the African American culture. You can also go across the tracks and meet people at FSU! FAMU gives you plenty of opportunities to meet new people and also a lot of networking that will set you up for your career.

alyssa

Florida A&M University (FAMU), is defined in 3 characteristics that are also in relation to me as well. Passion, honesty and respect are three of the most unique and valuable characteristics that FAMU & I possess. Without these characteristics I don't think life would be as meaningful as it should be and I wouldn't be able to contribute them to FAMU as a whole. When admitted into FAMU, I hope to spread around my passion of being educated and being the best of my capabilities. I have a passion to learn new things that will not only benefit me in the future but also benefit me to become a better person. Becoming a registered nurse is my dream job and I believe that FAMU will help me to reach my goals and I hope that my passion for conquering my goals will inspire my peers around me. Also,becoming a registered nurse will allow me the opportunity to make changes throughout my community. I will start by setting up FREE health fairs and clinics around different areas of the community especially around the rural and urban areas. I believe that everyone no matter what their circumstances are should be entitled to Health screenings, Vaccines,and just an overall understanding of the importance of their health. I would also host a health and awareness class were I will discuss how to properly care for the disabled and sickly. As a Registered Nurse I would love to establish a bond throughout my community; I want to be the person everyone can depend on whether it's health related or not. Honesty is a characteristic we are taught young, without it we could never earn a person's trust or respect. I always strive to stay true and honest to myself in anything that I encounter because it gives me a sense of stability and comfort. FAMU already contributes to the honestly aspect by teaching their students about African American History which helps their students to appreciate others. Knowing this fact about FAMU makes me appreciate the university as a whole due to that fact that I can relate to what they strive for. Respect is earned not given, and that's what makes that characteristic so unique. It is important to base your personality off of respect because that determines someone's first impression of you. I will bring nothing but respect to the FAMU community either it involves my peers, authority figures and my own personal social conduct. In regards to these three unique characteristics I possess, I hope to spread them around FAMU to make the community a more passionate, honest and respectful university.

Jamesha

Florida Agricultural & Mechanical (FAMU) is overall a great HBCU. If you're a student looking for diversity but yet a strong culture, FAMU is the place for you. People here are always helpful and very friendly. We often have events on campus throughout the year. For example, one day we had Aja King( she plays Michael Pratt on How to get Away with Murder), give us a speech about how Important education and voting is. The events can range from presidential arch party, to a campus wide study session in our library.Furthermore, the professors here want you to succeed. No, they won't just give you an A, but yes they will do everything in their power to much sure you get the highest grade that you deserve. FAMU has a place for everyone, but its up to you to take the first step and apply. Come join the FAMUly today.

Chloe

Its okay, there is lots of pressure be in in greek life.

David

I love FAMU. It's the perfect place to cultivate young black minds and allow us to equally compete with our peers for jobs and in our hobbies. I think there are a few things that could be fixed, but no one is perfect. The shared college town of FAMU and FSU is great because it caters to people from all walks of life and offers a dynamic arts venue that anyone can enjoy. I love my HBCU!

Christen

During my time at Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University, I met many students of many different backgrounds. Though FAMU is known for its HBCU status, there are more than just black students. The university is very diverse. When you come to Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University you should expect to become nothing but the best.

Melah

I love my HBCU! Florida A&M is a well rounded university and there is never a dull moment. There are a lot of different activities and events that allow you to go on self discovering journeys by yourself and with the help of friends, and faculty. The campus make sure there are activities almost all week from academic opportunities provided by the school to parties thrown by the different organizations on campus. The campus is very lively. I think that the school is pretty great in everything from academics to social events but there is always room for improvement. For example since the school is so old there could be more renovations to the older facilities they are taking care of some of that by expanding the cafe area and upgrading some dorm facilities. I think that they could do better though because I would say most buildings need new appliances. I think that the school is great though and with just a little more work it could be the best in all the the nation. I represent Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University October 3rd, 1887 WHAT!

Sallyce

Overall the university has a little something for everyone, but campus life can be a bit overwhelming. Surround yourself with people who have similar goals as you, and you should be fine. Also keep all copies of paperwork especially regarding financial aid and visit the financial aid office physically. Also be aware there are a generous amount of hills throughout the campus so be prepared for that e.specially in regards to class scheduling.

Naelle

I was a visitor and from what I saw the campus was lively and the students are amazing. Everyone was friendly and encouraged me to apply to the university; not just to increase their numbers but to get an actual genuine education and I appreciate that. Plus, the fact that its an HBCU makes my interest in the university grow because I want to know its history! I hope I become a future rattler and that the next four years of my life are filled with happiness, freedom, education, and fun.

Deidre

Florida A & M University is a great school despite the preconceived notions that many have. It is often time considered as a party school, or simply just another HBCU. This is not the case. This school provided a vast amount of opportunities if you seek them and everyone comes together to try and help you.

Paris

Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University is so diverse and we are the definition of a family . We stick together and we build strong relationships and bonds with our professors. I love my institution for always encouraging me and pushing me to become the very best person I can be .

Jordan

My opinion of Florida A&M University is that it is an institution with a lot of potential. The school is an Historically Black College University so it caters more towards minority students. Without this institution, it's alumni, and scholarships, many African American students wouldn't be saying they were the first the in the family to go to college or even consider the opportunity.

Averie

The campus is beautiful and very historical. The abundance of hills makes for an intense, yet scenic, walk through campus. The faculty and staff are beyond welcoming and inviting and it creates a great space starting on day one. FAMU truly is a FAMULY and I feel completely at home. My professors are amazing and always willing to help anytime a student is in need of ANYTHING!

Alexis

I enjoy attending this university, I do not regret my decision on going here. I have met a lot of new people and experienced different African American cultures. This campus has a lot of opportunities for students to get involved and join organizations. I have to admit we are a huge FAMUly.

JOSHUA

The faculty is very supportive and willing to assist students. Classes are interesting and provide many opportunities for growth and learning. Housing is expensive for what you get and the food, well it is typical dining hall. There are many alternatives but freshmen are required to have a dining plan.

Kristin

I believe that it is a great HBCU. I really enjoy the school.

Candace

Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University is a great school for me. I love the learning environment and the people around me. I became very social since I started attending FAMU. I also learned how to manage my time with my schoolwork. The school is so much easier than high school. I hope the rest of my college years continue to be fantastic.

Janece

F.A.M.U. is a great place for learning. There are so many activities going on in the community, it is nearly impossible to get bored. I am attending as a freshman there and it is amazing. I can't wait to be deeply endowed into the school and graduate from their great programs.