Florida Atlantic University Top Questions

Captain

I wish i knew that the school was not very diverse.

Kimberly

I wish I had known that people care more about the beach than they do about getting a decent education.

Amber

What I wish I would've known before I came to FAU is that this school is actually challenging. In the neighborhood that I grew up in FAU was always thw school noone wanted to attend. Primarily since it was so close to home. But since being at FAU i learned that college is nothing to play with. That I was no gping to be spoon fed the entire time. It was a major adjustment seeing that a lot of friends went to community college first. It was a trying experience but a good one nonetheless. I wouldn't stop.

Lisa

How to write professional. Plus more about university life

I wish I had known how different college is from high school and how important it is to save money. I want nothing more to become a nurse and therefore am taking very challenging courses. My GPA is not flattering and I hope to improve it as well as save money because I do not receive an allowance and just lost financial aid. I will not quit in pursuing my goal to be a nurse however, money is just tight.

There's a lot of things I wish I had known. I wish I knew which classes I needed to take for an AA degree. I wish I knew how expensive it would be. I wish I knew how to get financial aid. I wish I knew how much beauracracy and red tape I'd have to deal with. Frankly, I'm still learning a lot of these things even now.

Megan

I wish I had a better understanding of the entire higher education system through graduate school so that I could plan a bit better for my graduate school career.

Larissa

I wish I was more aware of Scholarships that FAU had to offer. When you decide you're going to college to pursue a career you know that the cost will be high. Therefore, I would have appreciated if I were more informed. Many times students come into a university somewhat lost and not knowing what to expect. If students were guided and instructed on what steps to take to alleviate the high cost of classes, I'm sure the number of prospective students and graduation rates would increase.

Sophonie

I wish I knew that the summer term was on me to pay.

Michelle

I wish I would have realized how expensive it was so I could save up. I would have also liked to have known that the majority of classroom sizes are rather large but the professors are always great when speaking to them with a problem.

Matthew

Personally, I wish I would have known how friendly the crowd is here. It so easy it is to make friends and get study groups together. We have a mix of commuter and on-campus students and most of them are very friendly. Personally, I always had difficulties making and having good friends but here, thats not the case. I have met plenty of amazing people. Plus, from and academic stand point, the crowd is very friendly here and all interested in helping each other out, so we pull together very organized and helpful study groups when exams come around.

I wish i had known more about housing and sorority life on campus.

Ricardo

I did not really need to know anything about this school before I came here. The FAU did a great job educating me on the ins and outs of the school.

Lais

The college atmosphere is something completely different than any of us have ever experienced. Living with strangers, making our own decisions of when to study, when to enjoy ourselves and even when and how to eat. I wish I had known what I was going into when I purchased a meal plan. Yes, it was very convenient to not have to cook or clean for myself but the times of the meals never matched my class schedule. I personally would not have spent $2000 dollars on a meal plan. I ate poorly and gained a lot of weight.

Nisa

I wish I would have known that college will be all that you make of it. I wish I would have took the weeks of welcome more seriously and that girls will be girls. You have to learn how to ignore them and not let them hinder your college experience.

Gabriel

Before I came into this School I wish I had known the importance of scholarships.

Kayla

You need alot of scholarships, or loans and out of pocket money are a must.

Markella

I wish I had known the price of housing and that you HAVE to have a meal plan if you live on campus.

I wish I knew more about the school itself as well as more about its background. I also wish I had done more research on the majors Florida Atlantic University offers and which of those majors the university specializes in.

Melissa

Before coming to FAU I wish I would of been more prepared finanical wise. I would of loved to come to this school and be able to jump right into my program of interest. I have alot on my plate and have to support myself independently, I wish that I could of been more prepared with money saved up.

Kerryann

I wish I had known how serious college is. I wish I knew to lookout for skateboarders, scooterers, as well as students in full bodied neon green leotards while roaming the campuses breezeway. But all in all I must say that this is a wonderful college with lots of great opprotunities to take advantage of.

Erika

I wish I had known how much it had to offer, I would have been much more excited to attend!

Patricia

I wish I knew more about scholarships and where to find them. I did not have any training in finances then.

One thing I wish I was warned about prior to Florida Atlantic University was that parking is a war zone. If you arrive after 10 a.m. good luck! You will be circling the garage like a vulture. And "There wasn't any parking" usually does not sit well with the professors.

I wish I did know this was really a commuter school because most kids go home on the weekend, even if they live on campus. I also wish that there was more activities that people would attend so it does not seem as deserted on the weekends.

Binh

I wish I had known what college had in store before I attended one. I heard college was tough, but I never really knew til I attended. It was never really similar to high school in many ways. I wish I knew the work FAU had in store for me. I also wish I knew that lecture classes, or classes with 100+ students aren't so great. I thought being in a large class would be a cool experience for me, but I was wrong. There is very limited contact with the teacher due to the tremendous class size.

I was more prepared than most college students when I came to college. I did a lot of research on the school before hand. So I guess the only thing I would have wanted to know before I came here would be that number one books are super expensive and number two that I would meet a lot of great people, and get networking skills.

Kelly

How many scholarships are availiable if you just look on the website and apply before the deadline. Also, to not be so shy and to reach out and make friends because I got pretty lonely my first semester.

Kathy

I wish I had known the importance of the gym, I love to workout in between classes. It refreshes my body plus keeps me healthy and fit.

I wish that I knew more information on dorm living. At orientation they sugar coated everything about life on campus but did not mention the cons. If you and your roommate do not get along AT ALL they basically make you deal with it instead of looking at the matter more in depth.

katryna

That the theatre program is vary time consuming and seems unorganized. the department has so much going on at one time that its tough for them to take care of everyone. On the other hand the department makes it easy to get into closed classes and the professors are all really alot nicer than i thought. i wsh i had known that it was possible to double major in theratre and film and that the deparment can help corrdinate my class schedule

Natalia

How to choose classes, how to work your schedule and how to avoid traffic and parking.

Jevais

Although orientation did a decent job on explaining the ins and outs of FAU i really wish I was warned about the outrageous prices of book. After successfully completeing my first semester, I realized that the cost of my books made up almost one-third of my overall school expenses. Maybe if I was warned about these prices I would have been able to save some extra money during the summer instead of waiting one month into the semester until I could afford them.

Donell

There are a lot of deadlines and requirements when transferring schools. The school I attended before transferring to FAU was a large school with a small school oriented way of catering to the students needs and questions. I wish I would have realized the way large state universities were run before jumping into the mix thinking I knew what to expect. There are questions you dont realize you have until you check your online account status and see ten thousand and one tasks that need to be completed that would have otherwise been done for me at my last school.

Brian

i wish i knew it would b so hard to transfer credits to certain schools

I wish I had known the cost of travelling so far to get to school each day, and I wish I knew the parking situation was so horrible.

Stacy

I wish I would have known that this is a commuter school so parking is very hard to find. Since it is more of a commuter college than anything it feels more like a commuity college.

Silvio

I wish i would have known how to make a great schedule of classes instead of making my first schedule all over the place.

Natasha

Procrastination will kill you. If you don't organize your time between school work, extracurricular activities, your job, your social life and your relaxation time, you will fall below the bar. This doesn't always show early on when you should be more aware either. The fact that you're beginning to fall behind gets hidden behind the very good grades that you get early in the class and then when you end up failing the midterm exams and it is past the withdrawl period you will find yourself struggling just keep up a C+ in the class.

Raven

I wish I would have known that tution would become more expensive every year

Paige

more abut the dorms

Marcus

I wish I would have known how to get involved from the very beginning. If your not playing a sport, I strongly recommend signing up for intramural sports, clubs, and/or a frat/sorority.

none

Ludmilla

Nothing.

Lindsie

How much time, work and commitment it was really going to take to be successful at this college.

Kevon

I wish I knew about the amount of experience required along with the four year degree.

Sydney

I wish I knew how much of a commuter school it is. And how hard it is to make friends. Also, joining greek like freshman year is a good idea.

Christina

That the Jupiter community did not offer much to students.

Adrianna

I wish I had known how expensive it was to live on campus.

Nathan

I wish I knew more about scolarships what to do to get some.