Florida College

« See more reviews of Florida College

Florida College, as a Christian college, teaches more than just academics and has opportunities that can't be found at many other colleges. While there are disadvantages to a small school, there are even more benefits. Because the classes are considerably smaller, the teachers are able to maintain a personal relationship with students and students receive more help. Florida College teaches leadership, service to others, and wisdom. There are more leadership opportunities at Florida College than most other colleges. I have been able to organize spiritual devotionals on a weekly basis as well as present lessons. Students are encouraged to write "happy mail" to each other, just simply notes to encourage others. Florida College has planned weekends for students to engage in projects helping the community. I've also become wiser at Florida College. Every day, at ten in the morning, all the students go to chapel to hear practical lesson on improving their lives. On the cross country team, I've learned endurance and perseverance. College has been valuable to me because of the characteristics I've developed, the bonds I've created with other students, and the opportunities I've had the pleasure to experience.

Hello Amanda. I am a future version of yourself here to provide you with advice regarding the transition from high school to college. Currently, you are thirty years old and attending college. Although you are thoroughly enjoying the experience, I would like to help push you toward making the transition sooner. I know you are worried about the cost, and unfortunately due to their financial situation our parents cannot help. However, there are plenty of people and institutions that are more than willing to help students afford the cost of a higher education. Apply for financial aid, scholarships, and loans. Secondly, there is nothing to fear. The professors are not as intimidating as you think and are willing to take the time to make sure you understand and succeed. In fact, many will become your friends and biggest supporters. Lastly, you are incredibly intelligent. Please don’t limit yourself. While it can be scary, change is a good thing! Even if you are not entirely sure of your future path; start college and aim for the stars. If not you will miss some of the most amazing experiences of your life. Bottom line, don’t wait. Enroll. Discover. Enjoy.

Tackling an education is like playing a football game, striving to win one play at the time, and not applying negativity--because winners cannot allow this thought process. In the real world working up the ladder in a profession can be more easily achieved by obtaining a liberal arts education, than taking an entry level job. At college many aspects of life can be incorporated into learning in an atmosphere of other like-minded people, who are also trying to work toward the same goal. Trudging through this long process may seem like drudgery to someone who is anxious to get on with their life, but conversely it is a necessary process for anyone wanting to achieve their best and live up to their utmost potential. Professionals in the workplace emphasize that they are looking for people who want to improve themselves educationally, and then strive to develop this education through application in the business world. It shows more character to be patient and work hard at learning what the world has to offer before throwing yourself into a career that may not be a fit, due to lack of knowledge and experience. It shows more character to be patient.

Do not fight with your brother. Do not wait until the last minute. Yes, others say that. Great minds think alike. Remember that PEOPLE are dealing with your admissions and scholarship paperwork. Be nice. Historic dorms have historic plumbing. Sign up anyway; the people are great. Know that there is someone having a harder time paying for college, keeping their grades up, or recovering from illness than you. Try to understand both sides before speaking or writing. Things will not work out the way you expect them too. It’ll be okay, though. (I’m accurate, unlike Harry Potter’s divination teacher; don’t worry.) If you happen to spend your first weeks at college sick and out-of-it, try not to say anything memorable. “Be not wise in your own eyes; fear the Lord, and turn away from evil.” (Proverbs 3: 7) Even if it means speaking up, you can do it. Otherwise, God wouldn’t have told you to. Continue to write things down in that notebook of yours when you are stressed; your future self will need it when she applies for a scholarship and wonders what her high school self would have liked to know.

College has taught me how to learn. It has pushed me to learn to think more efficiently and to better apply my mental capabilities. It is teaching me discipline. I am gaining valuable skills and knowledge. In high school, I barely scraped through Algebra 2. My first semester in college, I took PreCalculus with Trigonometry. It was a struggle. I was expected to absorb large amounts of material and apply it quickly. But I learned how to study and gradually began to want to learn to understand instead of just learning to pass the test. I started to see the practical nature of Calculus and Trigonometry. I saw that they allow me to calculate angles for building and pulley speeds for mechanics. The motivation to learn for the love of learning is driving me towards being a better employee and worker. The tests in the PreCalculus course forced me to study hard for a deadline. I had to play catch-up for a lot of the semester because I didn't study hard in high school. Now I am motivated to work hard from the start. College has taught me to learn, and to do it for the right reasons.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would have so many things to tell myself. The transition from high school to college is a monumental one, and life changes greatly in college. Firstly, I would tell myself that college really is what people say in some ways. College is a place that allows students to truly know what it is like to be living on their own. You have essentially moved away from home when you begin college, and I would let myself know that homesickness is normal, but that after awhile in college, the sadness dissipates, and it become easy to adjust to a new life, new friends, and new opportunities. I would also remind myself that all the stress and responsibility that comes with college does not have to be dealt with without the help of others. Being away from home does not mean being away from the need to seek encouragement or strength from others. Along this line, I would tell myself to be unafraid, and boldly go toward the task at hand, understanding that college will be an amazing, challengins experience that will change the future.

I would tell myself to spend more time studying, even though I didn't really need to study in high school, because college is different, and not having pre-established study habits made things difficult. I would say to be more frugal with money, and learn to manage it better, because money is very important (and quite often scarce) in college. I would tell myself to spend more time and effort on what's important, and less time doing unimportant things, such as Facebook and games. I would say to be more active spiritually, to talk to my friends and take advantage of doors that opened to me, rather than sit back and let them close up and be lost like I did. I would ask myself to spend more time studying God's Word, and act upon it to be a better, stronger Christian, which consequentially would make non-spiritual things easier. I would tell myself to develop better time management skills; they are important and I am seriously lacking in this. All of this would serve not only to make things easier at the time, but make transition to college and post-college life much easier and pleasant.

Florida College was not my first pick for a University. I had originally chosen the University of North Carolina Charlotte, because of its outstanding business program and popular name. However, towards the end of my senior year, my parents forced me to apply and ultimately attend Florida College. I grew to hate the idea of leaving my comfort zone to move to unfamiliar territory. So when it was official, that I was going to attend Florida College, I chose to be pessimistic. It wasn’t two weeks later that I realized how thankful I was to be a student at Florida College. The college has been a blessing for me; I would even say that it saved part of who I am. Throughout high school I was able to endure the temptations of drugs and parties; however, I had this fear that I would not be able to simply ignore the atmosphere of a larger college. Florida College is a spiritual based and strong environment. I know that I could simply walk up to a stranger and find comfort. Therefore, because of this comfort and this stronghold I am able to ignore temptations and set my focus on my future.

you should always take school seriously. every class that you take you have to strive to get good grades in those classes. taking school seriously gives you an academic drive so you are motivated, dedicated, and striving to live up to your abilities. the transition from high school to college will be easier. you will have more AP credits going into college and you will find out that working hard and having a great work ethic will help you in the long run. striving to do your best and work hard will get you good grades and good grades will help you get academic scholarschips and you will end up not only doing better in school but in athletics as well. once you start taking school seriously from the beginning of high school you will realize how much more serious you will take athletics. having a really great GPS average will assist you in playing at a big university. you will have the option of going to a small school or a big university. taking academics seriously will help you in taking your life seriously and you will find out that everything in life will come easier to you.

There is one quality that determines whether a student will be successful in college: Self-control. You have to be able control yourself physically, mentally, and financially. Keeping your body healthy is key to keeping yourself mentally focused on your education. You can do this by eating healthy and getting proper amounts of sleep. Take a reasonable amount of classes to avoid unnecessary stress. Don’t destroy your body by trying to “do it all”. Make sure to leave time for fun and relaxation, but be careful about how much time you devote to it.Try your best to maintain proper relationships with your friends because this can cause a lot of distraction from your studies. Keep your finances in order and budget your money. If you don’t, you will be busy stressing about money instead of your classes. In all of these areas, use self-control and don’t worry about everything else your friends are doing. Because I can tell you from personal experience, they probably aren’t making the wisest decisions. Focus on your education so you can make the “big bucks” in your future career!