Fort Myers, FL
Florida Gulf Coast University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Florida Gulf Coast University

Dominic

Our basketball program that made a run to the sweet 16 as the first #15 seed to do so.

During my senior year, I didn't think ahead very much besides the upcoming weekend. I wish I would have been more proactive in applying to scholarships as I now see how expensive college really is as a freshman. I wasn't lazy, I just didn't put as much effort as I should have. If I could go back and talk to my high school self, I would tell him to be proactive and deliberate with doing everything possible to ensure the best future.

We don't have a football team so on Saturdays us students have to find something else to do.

brittany

t is very very very very cool my school has animals walking around ofv course protected animals

Carissa

Sometimes you won't get your first choice. Sometimes you will get your first choice but life will get in the way. If a class is frustrating, get help! Have friends tutor you, seek out help on campus, don't just give up on the class. Get involved immediately! Spend your first semester trying out as many clubs as possibly so that by the time you are a sophomore you can narrow it down to 1-3 clubs you will fully dedicate yourself to. Enjoy yourself and make new friends. Don't fall back on high school friends for everything. They'll change, you'll change, your situation will change. Especially make friends in the field you plan on entering. Don't stress out if you decide to change your major 3 times. Don't worry about what anyone thinks or has to say about your major. It is YOUR college education and YOUR life. If deep in your heart that is what you want to do, do it! Consider all the options and details, salary, employment rate, but most importantly how much YOU enjoy it. It's not the wrong choice if you are enjoying yourself.

I wish I knew how much the school had to offer. My first year I wasn't involved at all. Towards the end I started learning about all the clubs and activities available at the school. Get involved! It made my next few years so much fun! I made friends in my classes however those I met through the clubs are now extremely close.

Probably the worst thing at this school seems to be staff communication. There seems to be a lot of certain departments not communicating with each other or even faculty in the same department. This can cause miscommunications and everyone not being on the same page which can be frustratingdue to the lack of consistency. If there is ever anything you need to do involving more than one faculty or staff member, have what other faculty/staff have said in writing to acoid discrepencies.

My experiences with classmates at Florida Gulf Coast University have always been superb! Everyone has always been so friendly and welcoming. The students are very open-minded and accepting. I have been involved in many group projects at FGCU and the students have always been extremely helpful and willing to listen to ideas and constructive criticism. I have only had and heard of wonderful experiences between classmates at FGCU!

If I were presented the opportunity to travel back in time and speak with myself while I was a high school senior, I would have many words of encouragement to share. I would advise myself to relish in the school and life events of senior year because those fun times would soon be fond memories. I would encourage my younger self to devote my time whole-heartedly to my passions and pursue a degree in which I would be academically challenged, emotionally driven, and motivated to push through every obstacle I might face. Above all, I would remind myself that college is another stepping stone in the path of life, an opportunity to grow and develop into the person I want my future children to admire.

If I had to choose something that was frustrating about Florida Gulf Coast University, I would have to say it would be how quickly the classes fill to capacity when signing up for courses online. It is very difficult to sign up for certain courses because they are always booked at a very rapid pace.

Alyssa

My classmates at Florida Gulf Coast University are extremely diverse.

My classmates at Florida Gulf Coast University are extremely diverse.

The main peiece of advice I would give myself is to get involved as possible. At the time, I preferred to stay in the background and got involved with the wrong people and made high school much less enjoyable.

Florida Gulf Coast University is such a welcoming school. The only kind of person who shouldn't attend is someone who doesn't want to be involved or interract. The professors are all so eager to assist and there are so many wonderful opportunities to get involved with. If you want a dull college experience, stay away from FGCU.

Nichelle

If I were to be able to go back into time to tell my senior self in high school I would change a lot about myself. I would focus better in school and go to all of my classes. Go to all the events at school, since college doesn’t really have that many. I would make my teachers be a little tougher on me, preparing myself for stricter professors. I would be more involved with school and make more friends. I would have applied at a 4 year university instead of going to a 2 year. I also wish I would’ve just enjoyed my time having more fun in school instead of being stressed about my classes now.

Rachael

it's small enough to do well and has all majors.

it's small enough to do well and has all majors.

I took some College courses while in my senior year of high school. I studied hard but if I would have put more emphasis in sciences, it would have helped me a great deal now. I am in the health field, and if I studied Biology or Chemistry then, my understanding of these subjects, would be better now. These classes are difficult, and I would have had a better background and more knowledge of what I need to know now. It would have provided me with a wider base and helped me retain what I need to memorize and learn. It is never too late, but I feel these sciences were lacking in my education while in high school. I wish I would have learnt some of the basics, so that, my understnding of this material, would come easier. I'm afraid that by taking easier subjects in my senior year of high school, just hurt me instead of helped me now. Oh well, I guess everything just happens the way it's supposed to! I'll have to study harder, yet not punish myself for doing things differently. I will get through this subjects reguardless.

someone who wants to do well and studies hard.

Dear Lauren of Fall 2009, Congratulations on your hard work so far! You have just decided to pursue the study of medicine; however I would advise you to set small weekly goals so not to lose sight of personal growth opportunities as you pursue your long term dreams. Do not rush through school but rather enjoy the journey! Weigh your decision to set aside music for an accelerated curriculum. Though grades and finances are a priority, strive to find balance in your day and schedule a few minutes to relax! It seems intimidating to adjust to campus and dorm. Step out of your comfort zone and SMILE! The other college freshmen are equally nervous! Lastly Lauren, as you make the transition into college I would advise you to find balance in your schedule. As you transition to more difficult and demanding courses, do not be ashamed to ask for help! As you prepare to embark on a new and exciting chapter in your life, I encourage you to enjoy and make the most of each day. College is a beautiful time of self discovery and growth! Best of luck on college applications! -Lauren of FGCU’s Fall 2013 graduating class

It is okay to start college unsure of one's specific career goals, however young adults who are not commited to their coursework or academic success should not attend.

FGCU is a great environment for learning and growing as a student and young adult! The smaller class sizes promote getting to know professors and there are opportunities for research! FGCU has many ways to become involved, make friends, and serve the community.

Evelyn

One of the advices that I would give myself as a high school senior is to look and apply for more scholarships. I am currently feeling the downside of not being able to pay for all of my college expenses. I truly believe that no one should have to go into debt to pay for college when there are so many scholarships and grants available. There were many scholarships that I knew about my senior year but I didn't apply for and now I'm stuck with having to take out loans to pay the rest of my college expenses. I would also tell myself to find help if I need it. I used to give up so quickly and this would hurt me mentally and academically but now I know that there is help out there, I just need to be the one to find it. Never be afraid to ask for help. I would say don't procrastinate and never give up because it does get better and things could be much worse. Don't forget to breathe and only take as much as you can handle. Be patient and take care of yourself!

Something that I wish I had known was the financial aid available to students. I wasn't aware that the university awarded certain scholarships and such but that you have to apply early in advance to be considered.

Florida Gulf Coast University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.