Fort Myers, FL
Florida Gulf Coast University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Florida Gulf Coast University

Many of us wish we could see in the future and learn lessons before we experience them. As an undergraduate in college now, there's plenty of things I would say to myself as a high school senior. When it comes to making a decision about college, you must always follow your heart. Don't go somewhere because your bestfriend is, or your boyfriend/girlfriend is, go somewhere because it will make you the happiest you that you could ever be, and it's a decision you will feel most comfortable with. College life is very nerve wracking at first, but the best way to get through the first week or so, is it put yourself out there. Try new things, talk to everyone you come across, and be yourself. Everyone is in the same boat you are, trying to adjust to a new place and new people. I promise that they want to meet you and make friends as much as you want to meet them. So don't pass up on the opportunities to experience life and most importantly have the time of your life with people who might possibly be your bestfriends forever.

Before attending Florida Gulf Coast University, I wish I had known to be more comfortable in my own skin. People are going to judge you no matter what, so you might as well be as completey you as you can be. The right people will love you and having these people by your side is all that matters. Life is wasted to often by students trying to fit in, so just know to be yourself at all cost and you will find happiness.

I don't believe there is any kind of person who shouldn't attend this school. Anyone can find there comfort zone with others and fit in somewere or other. As long as they are their selves and open to trying new thigs and having fun with what they have.

dylan

my classmated are helpfull at FGCU

my classmated are helpfull at FGCU

I would strongly recomend that I actually studied and tried in highschool. It would have made the transition to college much easier. I would also recomend taking AP cources for the college credit.

somebody who is not motivated to succeed.

Courtney

My school is most known for our sports. Although we are a relatively small school in terms of more prominent, name-brand schools such as FSU and UF, we have incredibly talented sports members. Although I am not heavily active in campus sports, I do feel a sense of pride at every game we win and every record we set.

If I could go back and talk to my high school senior self, I would advice her to apply for more scholarships. Since I pay for college completely out of pocket with no assistance from my family I can truly speak of the struggle to afford college. I would advice her to pick up extra night shifts during the week as well, because every cent I have learned counts. Also to pick up extra shifts and doubles during summer so that she would not have to work as hard to balance work and school during college her freshman year. Since I am taking calculus for the first time, I would advice senior me to take AP Calculus her senior year like she is supposed to do instead of playing it safe with an easier math class because although it may have hurt my gpa in high school, I would be better prepared for my heavy workload as an engineer major. And finally, I would advise her to relax. Even though school and life are completely stressful and overwhelming, I would tell her enjoy her time because she will never have these moments back.

When I tell my friends about my college I mostly brag about the atmosphere. There is freshness about my campus that I have not experienced at any other school I have visited. Every aspect of my campus is clean, safe, beautiful, and natural. From my dorm window I can gaze out unto the rich greens and browns of the nature preserves as they fade into the bright blue horizon. I can breathe crisp fresh air as I walk to class in the mornings. As one who prioritizes the natural world, I cannot help but brag about my campus.

Erin

FGCU is best known for its environmental science programs, nursing program, and environmentally-friendly campus.

Dearest Porter, as you will come to call yourself. I know you're anxious to find a place in the world that draws your eyes down from the stars. I know you're searching for a home that doesn't make you wish for somewhere else. The world is stressful, it is hard to get out of bed. This is the worst your depression has been in a while, I know that, I was there. You will get out of this, Porter. You will find friends in college who accept you, all of you. They will use your preferred pronouns. They won't call you a faggot or a tranny. They will love you. You wouldn't believe how much better things get. If there's one thing I can tell you, it's to get out of bed. Go and face the day. There will be rain, there will be storms, but you are a child of the universe and you deserve to be here. Smile all you can. Get out of bed. Don't worry about what you think you can or can't achieve, just do what feels right. Look forward to tomorrow. Be safe. Be happy.

Someone who hates forests, someone who feels homesick without buildings on a skyline, someone who feels most at home in crowds should not go to this school.

JAMES

A collective group of friends from different ethnic backgrounds, experiences and academic levels that help make university life enjoyable.

LISTEN TO MY PARENTS! For the past two years before graduating from high school, my parents gave it their all in attempting to educate me about the importance of obtaining scholarships to avoid student loan debit. Now here I am struggling to afford college and just finished applying for student loan! My parents were right, especially my mom! I truly thought that I'd make enough money in the summer to afford everything and all my savings are now drained and I work part-time on top of a full-time course load. The stress of a loan is uncessary!

Being a commuter student that drives to school each day, I would say the worst thing about the university is the lack of parking or the distace from the parking lots to the classes. Although Florida has desirable weather conditions, when it's in the rainy season, it can pour buckets!! Making student parking more available would be advantageous to students that live off campus.

Miranda

My classmates come from a wide range of backgrounds, ethnically and financially. Coming from a high school that was full of the "richy-rich" kids, this is a breath of fresh air. Many of them work hard and are very focused in class. They are kind and generous when it comes to other needs. Some are open books and will talk and heng out with anyone after class.

Knowing what I know now about college life and making the transition, I would tell myself to relax and not to worry about leaving home. College life is not as complicated as it seems. Yes, there are more factors at play, like relying on yourself to do your work versus a parent, but managing going to class, homework and a social life is not as hard as one would think. Your daily routine will change, but it is fairly easy to get right back into a new one. Your major doesn't have to be decided before you even move in to your dorm. There's plenty of time to explore different career paths. Keep the friends who support you with your decisions close by and forget the ones who don't. These people will help shape you into who you truly are and push you to your full potential. You will make many more friends and even if your "best friend" isn't going to the same school, you can still keep in touch with visits and talking all the time. It's a big change but don’t be afraid to start the best years of your life.

The kind of person that should attend Florida Gulf Coast University is someone who is down to Earth and enjoys the outoors. Conservation is a large part of the school and campus. There are many nature trails and outdoor seating areas to do school work or just hang out with friends. Also, the person should really enjoy men's basketball. We are known as "Dunk City" due to our team. Our other sports are great aswell, including volleyball, ice hockey, and soccer. They should also gravitate towards smaller class sizes. The largest lecture hall seats only 180 students.

Kendall

Classmates are learning and willing too.

Classmates are learning and willing too.

My university is know for their academics and majors, such as Communications. Communications is a major that is well known of the campus. FGCU is the best kept secret meaning it is a great university with a great opportunities to assist students with reaching their goals- earning their degree(s). The tuition, room & board is not so expensive like other colleges and universities. The university offers so many opportunities and exposure for students to live and learn.

If I could go back in time, I would have listen to my mother more and take the information she provided and use it to my advantage. My mother was a guidance counselor and provided me everything I needed to aid in my college experience, but I decided to listen to only some of the information. I would have applied for more scholarships and be more alert to deadlines. I would have taken some additional courses, such as dual enrollment, more exposure to the college experience. Overall, my senior year was great and memorable, but I could have enhance it in some ways to get me better prepared for my college life.

Dominic

Our basketball program that made a run to the sweet 16 as the first #15 seed to do so.

During my senior year, I didn't think ahead very much besides the upcoming weekend. I wish I would have been more proactive in applying to scholarships as I now see how expensive college really is as a freshman. I wasn't lazy, I just didn't put as much effort as I should have. If I could go back and talk to my high school self, I would tell him to be proactive and deliberate with doing everything possible to ensure the best future.

We don't have a football team so on Saturdays us students have to find something else to do.

brittany

t is very very very very cool my school has animals walking around ofv course protected animals

Florida Gulf Coast University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.