Fort Myers, FL
Florida Gulf Coast University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Florida Gulf Coast University

Evelyn

One of the advices that I would give myself as a high school senior is to look and apply for more scholarships. I am currently feeling the downside of not being able to pay for all of my college expenses. I truly believe that no one should have to go into debt to pay for college when there are so many scholarships and grants available. There were many scholarships that I knew about my senior year but I didn't apply for and now I'm stuck with having to take out loans to pay the rest of my college expenses. I would also tell myself to find help if I need it. I used to give up so quickly and this would hurt me mentally and academically but now I know that there is help out there, I just need to be the one to find it. Never be afraid to ask for help. I would say don't procrastinate and never give up because it does get better and things could be much worse. Don't forget to breathe and only take as much as you can handle. Be patient and take care of yourself!

Something that I wish I had known was the financial aid available to students. I wasn't aware that the university awarded certain scholarships and such but that you have to apply early in advance to be considered.

Corey

Many classmates are very generous and courteous of others. In general, my classmates make each class more enjoyable because of the respect shown between both other students and the professors.

To say the least, jumping from high school to college is huge milestone in one's life. If I were to be a senior in high school currently, I would advice myself to explore many different options. I would do a great amount of research on the internet involving many different career paths. This would include taking surveys, research majors of interest, and majors that will be in demand down the road. Along with this, I take many notes and ask myself questions such as: "What could I see myself doing for a living?", "Where could I see myself succeeding in college?", and "What are MY aspirations in life?". If I would have followed these important steps while attending high school, transitioning to college would be a lot less stressful and more solely based on my future aspirations in life.

FGCU is a welcoming atmosphere for any potential college student who wants to get a successful education. From the beautiful campus to the helpful and knowledged teachers, there are so many positive aspects of the school. Many of the teachers are willing to put any amount of time to help students succeed.

Roshonda

Florida Gulf Coast University is a school not only rich in it glorious environment, but in the kind people who attend the campus.

Thinking back to who I used to be when I was a senior in high school, I see a girl looking to be better. If I could go back to that girl and talk to her about college life and the transition I would tell her not to worry about her that test she got a "b" on, and was only one point away from an "A". I would say just keep focusing on school and remember that every moment you are setting the future. I would say make your future bright and let failures become dim and that every day she will become more independent as she faces the challenges in college. I would tell her to set her standards high and her goals higher and be the best she can be; to go all in or not at all. Not to go in with a mind that the transition will be easy, but that it will totally be worth it. That when college life gets her down, to stand back up and remember tomorrow is not only a new day, but a day to learn from your mistakes and to enjoy not only college, but life itself.

Whatever you need or want, there is always someone there to make it happen.

damonique

Florida Gulf Coast is huge, new, interesting, caring, dunk city and im proud to say that I attend school there.

The advice i would give my high school senior self would be to apply for scholarships and grants. Even if I feel like I couldn't get them, still apply, it won't hurt to try. And also to complete my fafsa on time, not past the deadline, i missed out on some grants I could have recieved. And to come to college with a humble and open mind. And last of all Good Luck!

I wish i had known how to ask questions about things that Im not sure about. And I wish i had looked into the tuition price before i came too, it is a little pricey.

Probably it's service learning requirement and for the fact that its a "green" campus.

I would have told myself to stay at home. I moved away for a while and quit my job in order to concentrate on school. I would tell my younger self to stay at home and keep working. When I was a senior in high school I had like zero social skills. So, I would tell my younger self to be more social. I would tell my younger self to let go of negative emotions like the anger and bitterness that I felt towards my parents. I would tell myself that yeah they are flawed but they are still my parents. I would say that I am just as flawed as they are; that I need to love them unconditionally despite their faults. I would tell myself, that I need to let go of that anger in order to have meaningful realtionships with not pnly my parents but other people as well.

Anyone who lives in the southwest Florida area. Anyone in Florida (and other states) who cares about environmental stewardship.

Austin

The thing that i find unique about Florida Gulf Coast University is its learning environment. Most of the classes have small student counts which help for a better learning experience simply because it can give a student more one on one action with the professor. Another little thing that i find unique about Florida Gulf Coast is that the university is very environmentally friendly and very conservative when it comes to environmental issues.

If i could go back and give my high school self advice the first thing that i would tell myself would be to go and take the ACT test. Taking that test would have possibly helped me alot and possibly could have improved my scholarships and or money situation. Also, i would have told myself to talk to my high school wrestling coach about going off and wrestling at college somewhere out of florida simply because that was always my highschool dream. Another thing i would tell myself would be to preprare to work and study hard in college. i cant get away with not studying like i did in highschool. Lastly, i would tell myself to enjoy it because college is going to be one of the best experiences and times of my life and also not to waste any time while in college.

Before i came to Florida Gulf Coast University I wish i had known the cost of books and classes and also the amount of scholarships that are available for me to apply to. Knowing that would most likely have made my money situation alot easier the past two years.

Doshenae

If I could go back in time I would definitely have told myself to learn how to cook! and also applied for more scholarships. Those are the biggest hardships about being in college. Having finacies to live off of throughout the time you are on campus and also figuring out what you are going to eat on a regular bases. Once you leave home you notice how easy it was to just have mom or dad to give you money and cook for you all the time. I should have prepared for that ahead of time. Also it is harder to work and be in college all at the same time. There is way more homework and studying than in high school and having a job can really take away from that. I wold have told myself to save up more money and apply for as many scholarships as possible to live off us through the time im at school. That would have made my college experince way easier.

I wish I would have known that south Village is the best place to meet new incoming freshman's. I would have not applied for upper classman dorms if i knew that. I would have benefitted way more there.

The only frustrating thing about FGCU is the service learning hours students have to complete in order to graduate. Every students has to complete 50 hours and as a freshman you do not know where to go to get those hours. They arent hours like going to volunteer at a hospital, they are hours given by certian events or something on the university campus.

Kera

In one sentence, I would describe my classmates as focused, hard-working and goal-oriented.

If I could give my high school senior self any advice, I would definitely tell myself that the workload only gets harder. I had heard plenty of that from my teachers during high school but I did not believe that it would my first year.

Whenever I get the chance to brag about Florida Gulf Coast University, I initially brag about the university's connection to wildlife. I especially brag about a little gator that lives in the lake in front of the freshman dining hall, Charlie.

Noemi

Florida Gulf Coast University is a transition school, it's big enough to feel like college, but doesnt have the feel of a university.

If I could go back, and talk to myself as a senior, i would have to tell myself to really stay focused and not settle for anything but the best. After going to college no one will be there to make us do our work, you have to have your own source of motivation to do the best you can in every class. Unlike high school, education is no longer free, and should definately be taken seriously. Skipping a class, not doing homework, or just not putting in the study time can easily be detrimental to your grade, and all the work that was actually put into the class can go to waste, along with the money you or your parents had put into it. college is something that needs to be taken serious, just like a job, waking up to go to class is work.

From my experience, the people that have the best experience are those who are the more quiet type that dont like to party, or people that live close that know the area very well. it is not the best place for an out of state student looking to explore.

Florida Gulf Coast University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.