Fort Myers, FL
Florida Gulf Coast University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Florida Gulf Coast University

Cassidy
#FGCUISTHEBESTU

#FGCUISTHEBESTU

Love it here. Teachers know your name, there's various clubs and organizations, and its not to fussy like other big universities.

Florida Gulf Coast Paradise

Florida Gulf Coast Paradise

Florida Gulf Coast University is a gorgeous Florida school. There's wildlife all over campus and the university is dedicated to wildlife preservation! The classes are typically pretty small; I only took maybe two classes that were in lecture halls the entire four years I was attending FGCU, which made it easy to cultivate relationships with the professors. I loved both the academic and the environmental atmosphere of the campus.

Petra

My school is best known for its environmentally friendly campus. It has 15 acres of solar fields and 400 acres of restored and preserved wetlands and uplands. It has numerous nature trails and one building that uses only renewable energy sources. My school uses as many different ways to save energy and help the environment. Every student has to take the mandatory Colloquium course that educates us about the environment we live in. I believe that having an environmentally conscious school allows for students to get outside of themselves and see the world around them.

I would say, "Well Petra, you are about to embark on a long journey to doctor hood. I know 12 years is a lot and it is easy to just want to get through everything as quickly as possible. It is easy to lose sight of what the full college experience is supposed to bring. While the primary goal of college is to get an education, it is also a time to explore who you and the world at large. You need to go out and meet new people and do things to test yourself. You need to get out of your comfort zone. You are a known introvert and to be successful in social environments you need to learn how to talk to people. It is okay to put yourself out there a little. Just do not lose who you are in the people you meet. Stay strong in what you believe in and surround yourself with people who will respect your beliefs.”

The most frustrating thing about my school is its location. Fort Myers is known as a retirement city. Older people are everywhere! This means that clubs are nonexistent and bar music is older than me. Therefore, fun is very hard to find. Also, Fort Myers is a hot destination for snow birds. It’s a great tourist site for many people but for the people that live there it can a drag. While its cool and interesting to meet new people, it takes away from the home and community feeling of college.

Many of us wish we could see in the future and learn lessons before we experience them. As an undergraduate in college now, there's plenty of things I would say to myself as a high school senior. When it comes to making a decision about college, you must always follow your heart. Don't go somewhere because your bestfriend is, or your boyfriend/girlfriend is, go somewhere because it will make you the happiest you that you could ever be, and it's a decision you will feel most comfortable with. College life is very nerve wracking at first, but the best way to get through the first week or so, is it put yourself out there. Try new things, talk to everyone you come across, and be yourself. Everyone is in the same boat you are, trying to adjust to a new place and new people. I promise that they want to meet you and make friends as much as you want to meet them. So don't pass up on the opportunities to experience life and most importantly have the time of your life with people who might possibly be your bestfriends forever.

Before attending Florida Gulf Coast University, I wish I had known to be more comfortable in my own skin. People are going to judge you no matter what, so you might as well be as completey you as you can be. The right people will love you and having these people by your side is all that matters. Life is wasted to often by students trying to fit in, so just know to be yourself at all cost and you will find happiness.

I don't believe there is any kind of person who shouldn't attend this school. Anyone can find there comfort zone with others and fit in somewere or other. As long as they are their selves and open to trying new thigs and having fun with what they have.

dylan

my classmated are helpfull at FGCU

my classmated are helpfull at FGCU

I would strongly recomend that I actually studied and tried in highschool. It would have made the transition to college much easier. I would also recomend taking AP cources for the college credit.

somebody who is not motivated to succeed.

Courtney

My school is most known for our sports. Although we are a relatively small school in terms of more prominent, name-brand schools such as FSU and UF, we have incredibly talented sports members. Although I am not heavily active in campus sports, I do feel a sense of pride at every game we win and every record we set.

If I could go back and talk to my high school senior self, I would advice her to apply for more scholarships. Since I pay for college completely out of pocket with no assistance from my family I can truly speak of the struggle to afford college. I would advice her to pick up extra night shifts during the week as well, because every cent I have learned counts. Also to pick up extra shifts and doubles during summer so that she would not have to work as hard to balance work and school during college her freshman year. Since I am taking calculus for the first time, I would advice senior me to take AP Calculus her senior year like she is supposed to do instead of playing it safe with an easier math class because although it may have hurt my gpa in high school, I would be better prepared for my heavy workload as an engineer major. And finally, I would advise her to relax. Even though school and life are completely stressful and overwhelming, I would tell her enjoy her time because she will never have these moments back.

When I tell my friends about my college I mostly brag about the atmosphere. There is freshness about my campus that I have not experienced at any other school I have visited. Every aspect of my campus is clean, safe, beautiful, and natural. From my dorm window I can gaze out unto the rich greens and browns of the nature preserves as they fade into the bright blue horizon. I can breathe crisp fresh air as I walk to class in the mornings. As one who prioritizes the natural world, I cannot help but brag about my campus.

Erin

Dearest Porter, as you will come to call yourself. I know you're anxious to find a place in the world that draws your eyes down from the stars. I know you're searching for a home that doesn't make you wish for somewhere else. The world is stressful, it is hard to get out of bed. This is the worst your depression has been in a while, I know that, I was there. You will get out of this, Porter. You will find friends in college who accept you, all of you. They will use your preferred pronouns. They won't call you a faggot or a tranny. They will love you. You wouldn't believe how much better things get. If there's one thing I can tell you, it's to get out of bed. Go and face the day. There will be rain, there will be storms, but you are a child of the universe and you deserve to be here. Smile all you can. Get out of bed. Don't worry about what you think you can or can't achieve, just do what feels right. Look forward to tomorrow. Be safe. Be happy.

FGCU is best known for its environmental science programs, nursing program, and environmentally-friendly campus.

Someone who hates forests, someone who feels homesick without buildings on a skyline, someone who feels most at home in crowds should not go to this school.

JAMES

A collective group of friends from different ethnic backgrounds, experiences and academic levels that help make university life enjoyable.

LISTEN TO MY PARENTS! For the past two years before graduating from high school, my parents gave it their all in attempting to educate me about the importance of obtaining scholarships to avoid student loan debit. Now here I am struggling to afford college and just finished applying for student loan! My parents were right, especially my mom! I truly thought that I'd make enough money in the summer to afford everything and all my savings are now drained and I work part-time on top of a full-time course load. The stress of a loan is uncessary!

Being a commuter student that drives to school each day, I would say the worst thing about the university is the lack of parking or the distace from the parking lots to the classes. Although Florida has desirable weather conditions, when it's in the rainy season, it can pour buckets!! Making student parking more available would be advantageous to students that live off campus.

Miranda

My classmates come from a wide range of backgrounds, ethnically and financially. Coming from a high school that was full of the "richy-rich" kids, this is a breath of fresh air. Many of them work hard and are very focused in class. They are kind and generous when it comes to other needs. Some are open books and will talk and heng out with anyone after class.

Knowing what I know now about college life and making the transition, I would tell myself to relax and not to worry about leaving home. College life is not as complicated as it seems. Yes, there are more factors at play, like relying on yourself to do your work versus a parent, but managing going to class, homework and a social life is not as hard as one would think. Your daily routine will change, but it is fairly easy to get right back into a new one. Your major doesn't have to be decided before you even move in to your dorm. There's plenty of time to explore different career paths. Keep the friends who support you with your decisions close by and forget the ones who don't. These people will help shape you into who you truly are and push you to your full potential. You will make many more friends and even if your "best friend" isn't going to the same school, you can still keep in touch with visits and talking all the time. It's a big change but don’t be afraid to start the best years of your life.

The kind of person that should attend Florida Gulf Coast University is someone who is down to Earth and enjoys the outoors. Conservation is a large part of the school and campus. There are many nature trails and outdoor seating areas to do school work or just hang out with friends. Also, the person should really enjoy men's basketball. We are known as "Dunk City" due to our team. Our other sports are great aswell, including volleyball, ice hockey, and soccer. They should also gravitate towards smaller class sizes. The largest lecture hall seats only 180 students.

Florida Gulf Coast University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.