Florida Gulf Coast University

« See more reviews of Florida Gulf Coast University

Florida Gulf Coast University is best known for environmental sustainability. Our school colors, cobalt blue and emerald green, symbolize water and earth and how eco-friendly we are. Florida Gulf Coast is also best known for opening in 1997, being one of the newest Universities in the state of Florida. The class rooms are small with about a 20:1 student to teacher ratio. Each teacher cares about their students and will put fourth the effort to help out when needed. Last, Florida Gulf Coast is known for sports like Basketball, Hockey, and Soccer along with our Eagle mascot Azul.

Florida Gulf Coast University is best known for their strive for making our environment more eco-friendly. Everywhere you walk around the school, you see students wearing shirts that display something along the lines of "Be fresh, stay green!" and many really try to do the physical actions of staying green, as they claim. There are signs in every hallway that tell us to recycle plastic, paper, and other resourceful materials. We also have alot of organizations made just for students who are really in the spirit and hope to make our earth more environmental for our own benefit.

My school is best known for its environmentally friendly campus. It has 15 acres of solar fields and 400 acres of restored and preserved wetlands and uplands. It has numerous nature trails and one building that uses only renewable energy sources. My school uses as many different ways to save energy and help the environment. Every student has to take the mandatory Colloquium course that educates us about the environment we live in. I believe that having an environmentally conscious school allows for students to get outside of themselves and see the world around them.

FGCU is best known for it's small student body. The school has only 10,000 students enrolled this year. Every class that I have had in the past has been no more than 40 people. Science classes and math classes are the biggest classes that I have ever had and even those were smaller than the 500 people that are usually in a University's general education class. Because of our small class sizes students receive better attention and more personal relationships with faculty and professors. FGCU is growing, slowly, and more and more people want to come here.

Great weather all year. It is a newer, smaller school. There is constant building on the campus. It is near the Gulf Coast Shopping center, where there are many dining areas as well as a nice theater. It is located just a few minutes from the Gulf of Mexico, where activiteis are endless. It is very easy to live on campus or off. They provide free parking for students. The newly remodeled bookstore makes purchasing your books a breeze. The university employees are always available to assist students.

My university is know for their academics and majors, such as Communications. Communications is a major that is well known of the campus. FGCU is the best kept secret meaning it is a great university with a great opportunities to assist students with reaching their goals- earning their degree(s). The tuition, room & board is not so expensive like other colleges and universities. The university offers so many opportunities and exposure for students to live and learn.

Florida Gulf Coast University is known around Southwest Florida as being a environmentally conscious facility. Recycling programs and organizations are found throughout campus. The school is also preferred because the facilities are only ten years old, and the on-campus housing is generous in square-footage. In addition, many of the student-to-teacher ratios are small, which leads to a favorable learning environment with smaller class sizes.

Unfortunately, my school is best known for its very public blunders. Sometimes it is very embarrassing to listen to the radio and hear negative things being said about your school, such as, "at least you don't go to FGCU: I hear they're stupid over there." It's unfortunate because my classmates and I have worked so hard for our accomplishments and they are sometimes ignored due to the mistakes of the administration or other students.

My school is most known for our sports. Although we are a relatively small school in terms of more prominent, name-brand schools such as FSU and UF, we have incredibly talented sports members. Although I am not heavily active in campus sports, I do feel a sense of pride at every game we win and every record we set.

Florida Gulf Coast University prides itsself on environmental awareness. The goal of every student attending this college is to fully comprehend this subject, and to apply the conservation practices to our every-day lives. Also, community service hour requirements set us apart as well.