Florida Gulf Coast University

« See more reviews of Florida Gulf Coast University

Located in sunny Southwest Florida, Florida Gulf Coast University with just over 10,000 students enrolled allows scholars the capability to become involved in campus life while still offering the electric atmosphere of a large-scale state university, FGCU explores all aspects of student life. Offering intramural sports, student government and organization opportunities unparalleled, as well as Division I athletics, FGCU, I felt, stressed individualism, all the while offering the opportunity to contribute collectivelly. Also, FGCU educates a different type of student, teaching students "sustainability with respect to environmental, social, ethical, historical, scientific, economic, and political influences". Go Eagles!

The most unique thing about Florida Gulf Coast University has to be its campus and lifestlye. My school does everything possible to go "green" and is progressing the movement of an eco-friendly society. The campus housing can be easily mistaken for a vacation resort because of the private beach, waterfront activities such as: wakeboarding, kayaking, tubing, etc, the palm trees and warm temperature year round. We have a very sociable group of students that are very active in the community and the students are required 60 hrs of community service before graduation. Overall, FGCU is an amazing experience.

I think our college is unique because walking down the hallways, you will see so many students who are wearing Florida Gulf Coast University shirts, sweaters, hats, notebooks, backpacks, and everything you can think of with our school's logo. It makes me so glad to see that so many people have great school spirit and that we are supporting each other. Maybe some people never get to have that feeling of being at home when they are actually at home with their own families, but being at our college makes everyone feel like we all care about each other.

Florida Gulf Coast is a safe, secluded campus with so much surrounding it. It has excellent student housing, with the chance of your own room. The class sizes are small for the most part, which makes it easier to participate in class discussions. The school is in a calm area, but there are also many activities to take part in, such as going to the nearby beaches or serving at the local soup kitchen. There are parks nearby for weekend fun and the shopping centers provide movie theaters, restaurants, and many job opportunities.

To me, a school needs to be a very charming place. It needs to be a place to get comfortable and relate with the surroundings. For many, the best way to be community-like is to go to a private school. For me, private tuition was not an option. So, I had to find a place, small enough and personable enough that I could truly get to know everyone and everything around me. That is what I love about FGCU. It is small enough that everyone knows your name and even the teachers know who you are.

The thing that i find unique about Florida Gulf Coast University is its learning environment. Most of the classes have small student counts which help for a better learning experience simply because it can give a student more one on one action with the professor. Another little thing that i find unique about Florida Gulf Coast is that the university is very environmentally friendly and very conservative when it comes to environmental issues.

Most, if not all, of the classes are about 30 students and that lets the students get to better know the teachers and able to get needed help if necessary. I think this sets it apart from other universities because it makes the college experience more personal and I think it sets the student up for success.

It is practicing green values. For example, The school built a solar panal area in front of the school so we can conserve power and use the sun as a primary resource for energy. FGCU also requires students to take a Colloquium course in which students are introduced to the outdoors and nature of Florida.

What is unique about the school is that it is the newest in Florida and is considered to be up and coming but in certain majors the growing pains are more evident than others. The school is also very focused on being green and that is important in todays times.

FGCU is very focused on uniting the school so that we all feel comfortable and welcome and like we belong. Also they are very environmentally active. They focus on keeping the campus green and having their students active in community service.