Florida Gulf Coast University

« See more reviews of Florida Gulf Coast University

I'd have to say that the worst thing about this school is registering for classes. The school has a system where those who are Seniors, Athletes, and Honor students register first then Juniors, Sophomores, and Freshmen respectively. You must register online through the school's website at midnight of your registration date. It is really hard for most students to get through the website all at the same time. So by the time you get through the website your classes may have been taken by others. This requires you to constantly check for dropped classes.

There was one instance that I remember bothering me for a while, actually it still bothers me. A peer of mine spoke out against global warming, he didn't believe that we were the reason that the Earth was warming. So he showed a video to his club members. He got in trouble for showing the video because "it went against what the University believed". They made him look like he was the anti-christ. They are open to different point-of-views, as long as it doesn't contridict there own (sarcasm).

Probably the worst thing at this school seems to be staff communication. There seems to be a lot of certain departments not communicating with each other or even faculty in the same department. This can cause miscommunications and everyone not being on the same page which can be frustratingdue to the lack of consistency. If there is ever anything you need to do involving more than one faculty or staff member, have what other faculty/staff have said in writing to acoid discrepencies.

Some of the professors do not really care about their subject, students or both. There are either really good ones or really bad ones no middle ground. I feel that if an instructor truly cares about their subject that passion will be transferred to their students. Attitude is contagious! Also the number of classes that are offered at night are limited making it hard for people with a 9-5 job to get the classes that they need to have hard to complete their degree.

You have to walk all over God's creation to get from one class to another. Even if the class is designated within a cluster of buildings where your other classes are, the buildings are so far apart. Also the parking is terrible even with the new parking decks. You have to be there extremely early to get a parking spot. Lastly, the campus police are everywhere so you can't get away from getting a parking ticket if you don't park in the right desgiinated area.

The worst thing about FGCU is the location. Most students claim that there really is not much to do in the surrounding areas. When new students come to the school from a bigger city, they are bored and always want to know what they can do in the area. Ft. Myers has become more populated and has had more things built in the are in the past couple of years but it still is not a college town. Most students feel out of place and bored when they come to this school.

The worst part about my college is that since it is a small university the class sizes are small as well wich makes getting into a class that you need a competetion. If you the class fills up you have to e-mail the professors and beg for them to allow you in their class. If you cant get into a class that goes towards your major and you need to make full time status then you have to take a class that you really dont need.

It is hard to find something that I completely hate or dislike at Florida Gulf Coast University, but if I had to choose one thing it would probably be all the construction that seems to be happening all the time. They are always doing something like building a new parking garage, or adding a new academic building. I know these are good things in the long run, but at the moment they just cause traffic and confusion.

The only bad thing about Florida Gulf Coast University, I think, is that there isn't very much around here to do. The surrounding areas have been slowly growing up, and there will be a lot of different things to do around here within the next few years though, so that really isn't anything to worry about. You can always find something to do on campus though, so you will never be bored.

Being a commuter student that drives to school each day, I would say the worst thing about the university is the lack of parking or the distace from the parking lots to the classes. Although Florida has desirable weather conditions, when it's in the rainy season, it can pour buckets!! Making student parking more available would be advantageous to students that live off campus.