Florida Institute of Technology Top Questions

Ahmed

The students love to learn and encourage others to participate.

My classmates are hard working dedicated and a whole lot of fun.

Yielleen

If people want to see a real mix of different cultures, languages, customs, etc...reunited in one place, they should probably come to Florida Tech. It's a school where people from many parts of the world meet. As an educational institution, Florida Tech doesn’t have to do much to maintain its diversity. Learning in a school where students from various racial, ethnic, geographic, socioeconomic, and religious backgrounds find themselves involved in a wide array of academic, extracurricular, and social interests, is definitely beneficial to both students and the school as a whole. Students may choose to Americanize themselves in the way they dress; but it’s really up to them. Most students keep their old ways of doing things, and they are not targeted because of that. Because of such a diverse community at Florida Tech, it’s almost impossible to say what most students wear to class: it starts from being very relaxed to very casual. Florida Tech is one of those places that teaches you how you need to become a global minded person, how you need to be opened to changes, new ways of seeing and doing things in order to be successful in this world which has become a "Flat" world due to globalization.

Christy

I feel like as long as you be yourself, no one will say anything. There's not really one type of student here at FIT. There are the surfer boys and girls, the musicians, the actors, the "geeks" and a bit of everything. Most people get along really well. We all pretty much wear shorts and tank tops or warm weather clothes to class. The main difference you'll see is with the international students. A lot of times they cover themselves up due to their culture, but everyone is accepted here.

Alejandra

the demographics of the students at FIT are incredibly diverse. about a third of the students are in-state, another third are out of state, and another third are international. There is such a large group of cultures and racial backgrounds that blend together at FIT which does bring very different type of students together, at the same time, that also tends to seclude students into cliques for they like to socialize with students of the same cultures or backgrounds. the interests in students also range alot with different interests in politics, theater, sports, scifi and more. There is pretty much all types of students at FIT with all sorts of interests.

Swapnil

I have never been discriminated against based on my religion, nationality, race or socio-economic background. Students from different nationalities and cultures have organized themselves into different social clubs such as African Students Association, Carribean Students Association, but all students are welcome to attend the events of these clubs. This adds to the diversity on campus. The kind of students who come to college to party all the time would feel out of place at Florida Tech. Also, the students who like to engage in intellectual discussions would feel completely lost at Florida Tech. Most students like to dress the best they can and wear expensive clothes to class. Students from different cliques do interact but not too often. If I had to describe four tables of students at the dining hall, one of them would comprise geeks who are discussing Star Wars. Another would comprise frat boys and sorority girls. The third would comprise boys checking out girls sitting at other tables. The fourth would comprise a random group of friends talking about their daily affairs. Most of the students at the college are from Florida, however, the college has a substantial number of students from other states and even other countries. Most of the students are from middle class backgrounds. The students are not at all politically active or aware. They have no definite political views. The students all are hopeful of earning "a lot" one day, but conversations about money are not very common.

Kelli

Very academically oriented. We also have a very large international student population. Since the institution is private in a state where educational scholarships are granted to students for state schools, most students are from other states. Especially the North East. This makes it nice when you are an out of state student, as everyone else is in the same boat. It's not as great for making life long friends though, as everyone has very different ideas for where they would like to establish themselves post graduation

Nancy

x

Andre

I'm an oline student so I communicate online within messaging boards.

Teree

Students from all over the world with the same desire to learn as I do.

Daphne

The sports players and business majors are friendly and social. The engineering and science majors keep more to themselves and are less social.

My classmates are intelligent as they participate in class, interesting as they play outside, and helpful with homework!

My classmates are very dedicated and we all know the grief and stress sill come to an end soon enough. They understand the effort to put in their class work but find it truly rewarding in the end of it.

My classmates are very friendly and helpful, willing to do what they can to help all succeed.

Alvaro

My classmates are all different in their own way, yet they all know eachother well and get along.

Oluwaseyi

Generally, my classmates are all average people trying their best to get through their university degree with the best possible result in the easiest way possible. They are very focus but also have a fun side to them, which they bring out very often to allow a break from stressfull academic studies.

My classmates are friendly, easy-going, helpful, trustworthy, ambitious, strong-willed, intelligent, athletic, and very charismatic.

Smart.

My classmates won't talk to you for the entire semester, until the final exams when nothing they say matters.

Classmates are extremely interested in the sciences and performing research. There's definite vigor for learning and achievement.