Florida International University Top Questions

Carol

As indicated previously, this is my first semester enjoying FIU. I am quite fond of the Chemistry and Physics building and the lab facilities. So far, my favorite class has to be the physics with calc I lab hours. Nothing can compare hands on experience and examples of the lecture being studied specially with physical concepts that rule our every day lives.

Sofia

Professors do know my name, depending on the class size. My favorite classes are the psychology and my least is the math classes. I study a least 4 hours a day. Class participation depends on the teacher. Students do have intellectual conversations outside of class. No, students are competitive. The most unique class I've taken is human biology. My major is Psychology. With some of the teacher is do. I ok with the requirements. It's for learning for itrs own sake.

Bryanna

I am a Freshman so I have to complete all my prerequisites in order to fulfill my UCC, meaning I am taking all the academic courses now. Although some may be tough, the teachers always welcome questions and are very understanding. So far all of my professors have given me several ways to contact them, some even giving out their phone number, and try to create a relationship with students. There are some big classes, although I've only had a few, that contain 100+ students so it is practically impossible for the professor to learn your name, but as I said before they hand out their information for any of us to contact them. In smaller classes the professor does take time to learn everyones name. I really feel FIU's professors care about their students for the most part. I am majoring in Public Relations (School of Mass Communications), however I have not taken any classes towards my major yet. I am excited to start though because I've heard sevearl good things about my future courses. Thankfully I am a non-Science major, so I am not required to take any difficult sciences I am not interested in. Alongside a diverse staff and students, FIU contains several diverse courses. Science may not be my strongest subject, however I am taking courses that interest me like Forensic Science. FIU also has career fairs quite frequently, either at the main campus or the Biscayne Bay Campus avaialble to all students. It is a very career driven university.

The academics at FIU are very good. A large number of the professors actually care about their students, and not just getting paid. However, there are those professors who can be very harsh and treat their students as below them. You can avoid these teachers by talking to students in your major, most of us are willing to help. I personally do like the science department a lot, and not just because I am a biology major. The nicest teachers are in this department, and are willing to meet with you at anytime even outside their office hours. The math department has the largest fail rate but it is also one of the hardest subject.

Mishka

In my opinion the academics at Florida International University for the most part is great! I am currently a freshman at FIU, my planned major is Elementary Education and a minor in Psychology. Class participation is encouraged in most classes. Though more common in smaller classes, large lecture class's do have some class participation. The teachers ask students questions to get them involved and students indeed ask questions when they are confused. Most of my professors know my name or at least recognize me, that is because I get very involved in the class participation. Just like in any other school students study. Those who study more get higher grades and those who do not usually don’t get good grades. I study about 2 hours for every credit hour, and my friends do about the same. Many students I know have intellectual conversations outside of class. My favorite class and most unique class so far has been Introduction to Education with Professor Erskine Dottin, I highly recommend that class. The professor has a new and effective philosophy on teaching and I as a student and future educator am learning a lot from his class. He does not issue a midterm or a final but rather evaluates us on our progress in the use of the habits of mind and our participation in group work. Another reason I like this class is because its requirements have given me the opportunity do some hand on learning. I am currently doing a 15 hour placement in a elementary. My least favorite class would have to be music appreciation with Errol Rackipov. I had a 3 hour lecture, through the entire lecture he would just read off his power points and maybe a song or two would be played. He made the class very boring and made many students fall asleep. I believe the school’s academic requirements are appropriate and give students the opportunity to experience and learn from classes that do not specifically have to do with their future career. The education at this school is not geared toward getting a job, but rather learning for its own sake. One does indeed learn about their future job but this school requires students to pass a wide range of courses.

Dax

Academics in the school is actually very competitive and interactive contrary to its reputation. Many people have the misconception that the local South Floridian students who go to FIU, only go there because they did not get into any other universities. The truth is quite the opposite, and many academically gifted people do attend to school. Students often complain that classes are too large. When I took Statistics I for instance, I was in an auditorium with a couple hundred people which became frustrating at times. There are of course many classes that are much smaller and the majority of times I have enjoyed and learned a lot from the courses I have taken. I am a double Major in Criminal Justice and Sociology with multiple scholarships and FIU has created the perfect balance between learning for its own sake and finding a job in the real world. I will be graduating in Spring of 2013 with a 3.9 GPA if all continues according to plan, and I feel that I will be just as competitive and knowledgeable as anyone else in my fields of study.

Mishka

Mishka

Mishka

Mishka

In my opinion academics at Florida International University for the most part are great! I am currently a freshmen at FIU, my planned major is Elementary Education and a minor in Psychology. Class participation is encouraged in most classes. Though more common in smaller classes, large lecture class's do have some class participation. The teachers ask students questions to get them involved and students indeed ask questions when they are confused. Most of my professors know my name or at least recognize me, that is because I get very involved in the class participation. My favorite class and most unique class so far has been Introduction to Education with Professor Erskine Dottin, I highly recommend that class. The professor has a new and effective philosophy on teaching and I as a student and future educator am learning a lot from his class. He does not issue a midterm or a final but rather evaluates us on our progress in the use of the habits of mind and our participation in group work. Another reason I like this class is because its requirements have given me the opportunity do some hand on learning. I am currently doing a 15 hour placement in a elementary. My least favorite class would have to be music appreciation with Errol Rackipov. I had a 3 hour lecture, through the entire lecture he would just read off his power points and maybe a song or two would be played. He made the class very boring and made many students fall asleep.

Daniela

Starting answering!typically classes at FIU consists of large auditorium classes for your freshman and sophomore classes, with the exception of English and Freshman Experience. Students tend to be more competitive in areas such as nursing, bussiness and the honors college. FIU requires students to complete their UCC requirements in order to graduate, these classes consists of humanities, history, math, science, and arts. I am a part of the Honors college and am currently a pre-nursing student. Many students in my major become closely acquainted due to similar interests.

Daniela

Isis

Professors at FIU are always willing to help their students, whether in class or in their office hours. No matter how large a class may be, you are able to communicate well with your professor. The academic requirements may seem long and difficult at times, but it is all worth it. FIU prepares you for a career of your choice. If you put in your part, by working hard and dedicating your time to studying, you are bound to leave FIU with a career at the palm of your hands.

Lawrence

I have noticed that the majority of professors at FIU are highly knowledgeable on the course material they lecture on, although some of them have difficulty with explaining the material cohesively. In general, professors hold office hours to further student participation outside of class and in my experience as an Economics major, some professors were readily available during office hours and others were not. The Economics department is separate from the School of Business and is not treated as a degree from it. Students are mixed between the ones who are active participants in class and attend every lecture to the ones who do not attend nor participate. Some students study at least 2 days a week, while others are more likely to only study the week before major examinations. It is common to see a few students who compete for the few A's that are earned and many who end up with B's are also highly competitive. About half of the students continue the academic discussions outside of class and I have encountered professors that are willing to spend extra time in helping me achieve success in class. FIU's academic requirements are attainable for the average student, although the standards are higher in the School of Business and the School of Education. Many degree programs are geared toward getting a job, but not all of them are. Although I greatly enjoyed some of the elective courses I took, the skills I learned from those classes only indirectly, if at all, translate to positive future job prospects.

My professors do know my name My favorite class is business law. It is very interactive I have not had a least favorite class. Students study very much, It is a lot of work consecutively due. Class participation is very often, Sometimes depends on the teacher's style. However over all 1-10, I'd say 9 Students have many group projects, therefore outside of class there is a lot of brainstorming . Students are competitive. The most unique class I've taken was Statistics. Very interesting to have a chance to explore Excel. We also worked on the Rubik's cube. It was very interesting. My major involves business administration, and International business. I am in a focused program that allows to to do a double major. I am going to also work towards an accounting major or masters degree. Not very much time is spent with professors out of class. The school's academic requirements are tough. It is a lot of material. The education is actually geared toward getting a job and learning as well.

Adnan

The main concern that comes to attending classes in a university is the number of people in it. Don't worry about it at FIU. You'll only see more than 30 people if it's a common requisite class every student must take. Apart from that, FIU's classes have 20-30 people in them. Of course, since FIU is a big school, registering for classes can be a problem. But in the long run, it's all about you and your goal towards getting a degree. If you're tardy in registration, you are going to obviously confront issues. The competition depends on the class. Competition can be internal or external in classes, depending on how the teacher maintains a student's privacy. There are unique classes at FIU including Studies of L/B/G/T and even Mysticism. My major is Biomedical Engineering...oooh...that's a hard one. It is one of the toughest majors at FIU and requires a lot of courage. A lot of engineering majors eventually change their majors because the course load is known to be heavy. FIU has a lot of opportunities for involvements. We have a Student Government that runs on an approximate budget of 14 million dollars. Imagine that. Imagine even participating in that. Wouldn't that look sexy on your Resume with your other possible involvements such as honor societies, Residence Hall Association, and a multitude of community service programs? And of course..don't forget your grades.

Zahra

There are a variety of classes offered at FIU. There are some where you have over 90 students in and there are classes in which there are 15 students.

jacquie

The professors at BBC have been great. Some are honestly concerned about your grades in class and are very kind. Of course there are some professors who in my opinion are not that good at teaching but overall i cant complain. I enjoy class participation. I dont normally meet with professors outside of class but when i do they are very helpful. My most favorite class so far has been Psychology and Biology. My least favorite has been Organic Chemistry, just because it is a hard subject. My major is Biology and the required courses are difficult but rewarding. My education is geared toward maybe Med School and a career in Pediatrics.

mayra

Professors usually don't go out of their way to know your name, they are just their to lecture, teach you about subject and of course they will answer your questions. My least favorite class was college algebra, i hate math. My favorite class was strategic marketing with professor andrew yap, he is awesome and you learn so much. Students usually procrastinate and wait until the last minute, however study groups do meet and get together to study. Class participation is common, especially in marketing classes. Some students talk about the class and the quizzes outside of class and what they expected from the exam too. Professors all have study hours, but with most you have to make appointment b/c they may not even be in their room. The schools academic requirements are good, but it should be more challenging so one can learn more and it should be more hands on b/c thats how most people learn. Theres several career fairs, but no one really goes, FIU is geared more toward just getting degree.

Depending on your major, the course work is rigorous and challenging. Graduate level courses really prepare.

There are a lot of amazing instructors here at FIU, if there wasn't I would go elsewhere. Some of the instructors are soooo overly qualified I sometimes think "What are they doing here?" but hey, I will take that Ivy League quality education at a public state school price any day. The library is also stocked really well and more than adequate. Most professors are available and enjoy interacting with the student body. The only thing I can think of that is AWFUL is dealing with the secretaries in the English department. With the exception of one competent friendly sec, the rest are miserable incompetent ignorant crones who should be fired and replaced by people who understand the concept of *helping* a student intead of perpetuating the gloom-to-soon-retirement that lingers in there. If you don't want to help students, go work at the DMV across the street.

stuart

decent, on my campus, classes were small and had the private school appeal. but there are definitely the larger lecture classes where you are one in a million. i loved my department, my professors, and all. I pretty much stuck to classes within the African new world studies program.

Students study often, we have a pretty knowledgeable population, you can find intellectual conversations ONLY if you know where to look but its not that common.

Nemo

I have been fortunate to have had good professors for the most time. However, there are the inevitable classes that just seem to be created as a way of saying "Our students take this or that class" rather than because there is a genuine interest from the student body. Budget cuts are dealt with ridiculously, cutting down in classes and majors rather than deminishing the "beautification" of the place. Stop painting and redoing the art pieces, stop doing the grass so often, let it fricking grow but don't take away our classes! It's ridiculous that it seems to be more important to have a nice-looking place than offering classes!

Julian

Our faculty is great. We have so many talented people...our Journalism department has five Pulitzer Prize Winners.

Gabi

Renaissance Lit with Professor Strycharski is my favorite class

Professors were also more people friendly and motivated and kept students interested in their class a lot better.

Dale

like all of my classes now....except linguistics...

I've rarely taken classes that were too big for the professor not to know everyone's name. Then again, I'm an English major, and it's usually math and science classes that are big...I love classes where students are able to openly discuss topics, and that's become more common now that I'm in upper level classes. I really think the education offered is of higher merit than people give it credit for. Maybe it's because I use ratemyprofessor.com to its fullest potential, but I've always had wonderful professors that I learned a lot from and engaged my interest.

I'm very pleased with the academics at FIU because I feel that one learns quite a lot, specially once you get into your major. Most professors are great, I've had a few who seem like they don't really care, and there's always some who are boring, etc., but this is the exception. For the most part, proffesors are very knowledgeable and available to help the students outside the classroom.

Jess

Professors sometimes do know the names of the students depending on how big the class is. My favorite class right now, is African American Literature because I've learned many things that I thought I knew before, but didnt quite learn accurately before. Students are competitive for the most part.

When trying to fulfill the state requirements and pre-requisites for your intended major, the classes tend to be larger and more impersonal than when you start getting into the classes for your major. The classes into your major tend to be much smaller and personalized, you are able to form a better relationship with your professor as well as your peers.

Pretty decent.

Whether or not professors know your name at FIU depends on the size of the class you are enrolled in. While many classes are auditorium-sized and your face will never be seen up close by the professor, there are many opportunities for smaller learning environments, including the Honors College, where students are paired with a professor for interdisciplinary learning for an entire year, and FIGS, where first-year students are grouped with each other and have several classes together. Class participation, at least in lower division and core curriculum classes seems low, but are mostly lecture based.

Professors are great but classes can be hard depending on the major you have chosen.

cindy

Most of my professors know who I am. One of the most influential professors I have come acroos were Mr. Orihuela and Philip Marcus. I loved their class and their teaching style. They really knoe their stuff.

Gabriel

There are several courses, like college algebra and economics, that have teachers that are great at what they do but can not teach the material to students in a way that they can actually gain knowledge.

Education at FIU, for the most part, isn't about getting a job. In some classes it's not even about learning...unless it's a subject one has interest in. Courses at FIU are given only for the money. That is why I'm currently wasting money taking 48 elective credits. I can take any bs class that I want, as long as it fills the void. It shouldn't be that way, I should only have to take courses that I need.

Andres

I think the clesses here are fine, i just think we should be more selective on helpful teachers with actual personalities to make the learning experience fun. I think some teachers are way too rude and just not nice people.

Little professors know my name. Favorite class is probably religion studies, least is probably....none. Class participation is common. Intellectual conversations are hard to find. Semi-competitive. Unique class was probably South Florida Ecology. My major has been changed millions of times, I just changed to TV production. FIU's academic requirements should go up. Getting a job.

Lee

My favorite class is Managerial Accounting, for the purpose that it is my major, but also because the professor understands the students on a personal level. He interacts with us more often outside the classroom.

Torry

My favorite classes have always been the small, 50 or less student classes. I have spent time with professors out of class

I am part of the Honors College and students are VERY competitive. Outside of this area, however, I feel that this competition does not hold, which is a shame because building competition among students often increases performance. Although I won't disregard the fact that added competition may also lead some people to feel pressured, I don't doubt that increased competitiveness among the students would be a good thing.

Ana

Compared to the institutions I've previously attended, my classes are much smaller and much more focused. Most of my professors and advisers already know my name and I've been here for less than a semester. I appreciate my education here and I'm sure that I will earn a valuable degree in a few years.

Andres

Professors are good and bad so you need to know which ones to pick. My favorite classes are my Honors classes where it focuses on critical thinking and discussion. Intellectual conversations occur if you find the right people.

Torry

My major had a small class of people so the profs know you at least by face. We didn't have much intellectual stimulation though since my major was one that was geared towards those wanting a job in a corporate environment compared to a job in academia. The classes did not emphasize much discussion and when it did many students did not participate. However,FIU has great opportunities for whatever a person wants to do, so long as you look for them. The graduate courses at FIU do stimulate discussion and their professors are world-renown in their respective fields.

-Yes -Favorite: Innovation Mgt; Least Favorite: Accounting -study habits are poor -class participation only comes from the same poeple again and again -Most unique, wine technology

classes are way too large

Abdel

lengthier classes

I have always been the type of student that got along without attending Professor's office hours or speaking to TA's therefore few professors might know me by name once the course is over. I wish I had not been the case because I know how important it for Professors and faculty to know you by name, but I will try harder from now on. I have loved every Economics course I have taken because of the challenge it has presented. I love being challenged and proving my intellectual skills. I have never spent any time with professors outside of class ufortunately.I am extremely proud of FIU's accomplishments especially about the Law School and Medical School. I think this will definitely put FIU on the map and increase the value of all of our degrees. I would have never pictured FIU as my ideal school, but I am now proud to attend it and actually consider it the best times of my life thus far.