Florida State University Top Questions

Tell us about the food and dining options.

The student union has several different food choices: Pollo Tropical, Papa John's, Einstein Bros. Bagels, Chili's, crepes, Asian food, salads, and more. There are also two on campus cafeterias: Suwannee Room and Fresh Food. Other options are very easily accessed and within a 5-10 minute walk of campus.

Ezekeil

There are two main dining halls on campus, one for the east and west sides. I've eaten at Fresh Foods on the West side and the food can be quite plan and repetitive. They advertise diverse meals in the dining halls everyday but they usually serve what's left over from the previous day. Eating in the dining halls can also be expensive even with a meal plan.I do not have a meal plans because it can cost almost as much as the cost of tuition! If you are willing and able to spend the money and want the security of knowing you can go to the dining halls then by all means do it but there are other options. The school has Garnet Bucks which you can buy and spend at your own pace without a meal plan and can be used at other locations on campus other than the dining halls. There's the union, which has a food court including pizza, salads and wraps, bagels and breakfast sandwich and I believe sushi. There is the Chilis and Denny's All-Nighter which is open 24 hours a day and Starbucks, one of which is in one of the main libraries. All of these places you can go to without a meal plan and some even take Garnet Bucks if you need to. There is one convenience store in the union but the stuff can be pricey.

Ezekeil

There are two main dining halls on campus, one for the east and west sides. I've eaten at Fresh Foods on the West side and the food can be quite plan and repetitive. They advertise diverse meals in the dining halls everyday but they usually serve what's left over from the previous day. Eating in the dining halls can also be expensive even with a meal plan.I do not have a meal plans because it can cost almost as much as the cost of tuition! If you are willing and able to spend the money and want the security of knowing you can go to the dining halls then by all means do it but there are other options. The school has Garnet Bucks which you can buy and spend at your own pace without a meal plan and can be used at other locations on campus other than the dining halls. There's the union, which has a food court including pizza, salads and wraps, bagels and breakfast sandwich and I believe sushi. There is the Chilis and Denny's All-Nighter which is open 24 hours a day and Starbucks (one of which is in one of the main libraries). All of these places you can go to without a meal plan and some even use Garnet Bucks if you need to. There is one convince store in the union but the stuff can be pricey.

There are a crazy amount of options on campus when it comes to food and dining! First, there are great meal plan options for the two dining halls on campus - Suwannee and Fresh Foods. Now, it may not be gourmet food, but it is convenient and tasty enough to satisfy you. Until you live off campus and don't have a meal plan, you don't realize how much you appreciate the dining halls! Besides that, there is the Student Union. In this area, there is Chili's, Einstein's, Salad Creations, Subway, Pollo Tropical, Papa John's, a smoothie place, and a place for sushi. Off campus, just on Tennessee Street alone, there are dozens of dining choices, more than I can even name, and all on one street!

The food options here are like any other campus...limited. The dining halls, although close and convenient, are not the best option you could choose. But! Don't give up just yet, because here's at Florida State there are plenty of other places on campus that you can go and spend your "flex bucks" at any time. We have Chilis, Einsteins, two Starbucks, Salad Creations and more. You will never go hungry here on campus!

Christin

FSU has two dining halls, Suwannee and Fresh Foods, that are located on opposite ends of campus and surrounded by the dorms. The food is really good, but like all things, it may get a little old after a while. In that case, there are several food vendors at the student union including Papa John's, Pollo Tropical, and Sushi. There are many other restuarants and fast food places that are extremely close to campus as well and definitely within walking distance. If you're coming in as a freshman, make sure you stop in and try Momo's Pizza. It's so good, and the "slices [are] as big as your head"... literally.

Layni

Florida State is great in many ways, but if I'm being honest, the dining halls aren't the best. There are plenty of other food resources on campus, such as the cafeteria that has a pizza hut, a sushi bar, a salad bar, Freshens Smoothies, a 24 hour Denny's, and a Chili's,etc. There are also option close to campus such as Jimmy Johns (they deliver, freaky fast!), Panda Express, McDonalds, Mr. Roboto's (you'll need to check this place out), Gordo's, Momo's Pizza. Some dorms require meal plans which I would suggest, if you end up in a dorm that requires one like I did, purchasing a meal plan the focuses mainly on Flexbucks. Flexbucks can be used at any of the on campus dining options as regular money.

I think the campus dining option are awful. First of all, the campus is dominated by Aramark, a company that hold a complete monopoly over the campus. You either have a choice of 2 dining halls, various meaty fast food places, and a hot dog stand. There isn't many vegetarian options, and the dining hall is expensive for cafeteria style food. Starbucks is expensive, and there aren't many cheap coffee alternatives. Most students walk to dining options on the strip nearby to get food.

Places to Eat on Campus

The Suwannee Room, where most freshman and sophomores eat on campus.