Florida State University Top Questions

greek life

Kendall

Although Greek Life is extremely popular at Florida State University, there are still clubs and lifestyles that adhere to other students. Personally, I am not involved in Greek Life. I was on the varsity swim team for a year before I decided that this would not be for me, now I am involved in Pre-Med clubs, Best Buddies, among other clubs that help other students. You can get involved with residency, homecoming, orientation, or really anything that you find interesting. We also have the circus, unlike any other Florida school. You can join the circus and practice with them for major performances, or you can go and watch the circus on the weekends two months out of the year for entertainment. Off campus, there is a ton of nightlife on the weekends that give students things to do. In the summertime, there are sponsored events by a strip of clubs called "The Strip." With that being said, there is constantly something going on both on and off campus during any time of the year.

Ivan

Greek Life and Intramural sports.

As I mentioned earlier, I'm not involved with Greek life. I met my friends the old fashioned way through just hanging out around campus. Dorms are such an easy way to meet people, as there are events in the lobby of a dorm almost every weekend and there are outside areas to hang out, play volleyball, or whatever you are interested in doing on a sunny day. Events are so frequent, there is always something going on all over campus, even dating mixers every few months. Traditions include the Homecoming week events, parades, the football games obviously, the Fair, monthly Breakfast for a Buck on Friday nights, and more. You can always find a party, but it's not important. Drinking isn't the end all to be all, as the cultural aspects of campus are not terrible. We have an outdoor amphitheater to see plays in, as well as the circus and thriving Club Downunder with it's free concerts. Movies are shown free a few months after they are originally released at the gorgeous Student Life Cinema.

There are so many opportunities to constantly get involved on campus with so many different clubs. Besides social networking, events and organizations are notorious for advertising through chalk on the ground. There are simply chalk messages to elaborate drawings. The Humans vs. Zombies club, which involves teams that engage in nerf battles you will see across campus, are known for their catchy flyers and chalk drawings. I'm currently involved in the Honors Program and NSCS (National Society of Collegiate Scholar), as well as many other clubs I look forward to joining through my time here at the university. The dorms tend to not be the most social environment, with everyone tending to remain secluded in their room, but everyone still is friendly to one another. Sports are huge at Florida State, especially football. Just to illustrate, people were paying $100 just for student tickets to the big Oklahoma game this past season. We also are fortunate to host a variety of guest speakers that you are able to attend, with just this year I was able to see Spike Lee and vice president Joe Biden. Tallahassee is basically New York on a smaller scale because I'm pretty sure this city doesn't sleep with there always being something going on. If I was up at 2 am on a Tuesday, I would go to $2 Tuesdays at the local bar Potbelly's. It all comes down to how much you want to party. There is the tradition of you being thrown in the main fountain on your birthday, which I have to say having a January birthday is not fun! The campus and town offers so much especially for a student, whether your looking to party of just have a good time, you won't be disappointed in trying to find something.

There are so many opportunities to get involved on campus with so many different clubs. The Human vs. Zombies club seems to be the most promoted.

robert

There is so much to do at FSU. There is a club for everything. If you want to get connected with other prehealth students, go shoot guns, find other asian students, get involved in politics, or network with business people, there is a club for you. The sports programs here are near the top in the nation. Going to the games is a lot of fun, and the atmosphere is awesome. It is also nice to win a lot! Kids are always playing frisbee on Landis field, and soccer and football are always going on at the old IM fields. The intramural sports (IM) at FSU is very good as well. There are a bunch of sports to get involved in, and the competition is intense. There are so many kids to play against that you always have a good matchup, no matter your skill level. FSU has its own lake, where kids can go out and tan, kayak, play frisbee, volleyball, or swim. Sometimes they have bands that come play reggae music so it is awesome hanging out there on a saturday. Nightlife at FSU is prime. There are a ton of clubs, so you can go wherever you feel like (if you want latin music or rap or house, there is a club for you) and they all are very good. The school is very central, so the students live in houses all around it. This means that you can literally (if you want to) walk from party to party every weekend. Everyone here goes out and gets wild. it is the best. Greek life here is huge as well. I am not apart of it, but they get pretty crazy, and the sorority girls are so hot! There are many shows going on as well. Students perform dances, plays, and concerts, and they all are very good because FSU is one of the top schools for music and theatre. Also, famous rappers and rock bands always come to Tallahassee because it is such a big school so you have plenty of entertainment available. They also come to the clubs so you can party with them!

The most popular Student group would have to be the Greek Life. I, personally, am not in a sorority, but many of my friends are part of the Panhellenic life. I have to say, it does consume a lot of their time, including their free time. They make new friends, are active in many events, and sometimes may even start dressing a bit different, but the Greek Life at FSU reaches out to many good causes, such as Dance Marathon. On another note, another large student group is the Student Alumni Association. I am on the Leadership Council of this Association, and have been exposed to many Alumni and learned much about my schools history. It is a great way to be involved on campus if you are questioning Greek Life!

No matter where you decide to attend college, I highly recommend getting involved! Whether it's with your church, student government, or going greek, getting involved helps shrink down the school to make you feel at home. Personally, I decided to go greek so I could make some good friends and keep myself busy. I think this was the best decision I've made at college because if I hadn't joined a sorority, I would have never made so many good friends.

Halsey

Some of the most popular groups on campus are human rights organizations, spirit organizations, and political organizations. I am involved with a spirit organization on campus that paints war stripes on people's faces. We do community service and also have socials. Football and basketball games are very popular. A guest speaker this past year was Eli Weisel, and the dance department puts on show regularly. Dorm rooms are fun, and people typically keep their doors unlocked when they are home. I met my closest friends in my dorm! If I am awake at 2 AM during the week, it most likely means I am studying, but since the library is open 24 hours, it can be a social process.

Halsey

Catalina

By far, the most popular student activity is attending football games. Most students look forward to every fall semester and the whole university revolves around those Saturday games. Many students are actively involved in clubs and organizations directed toward their goals. For instance, there are several pre-health organizations that help the community tremendously. Though students do what they have to do for their classes and their future, many want to have fun during the weekends as well. If you're into the party scene, there is something to do every single night. Whether it is a bar or a fraternity party, it is not difficult to find something to do. Greek life is a big part of Florida State and you can constantly see students wearing clothing representing their organization. However, the university offers many activities for those that do want to drink. The Student Life Cinema features movies foe to six nights a week, there are festivals on campus a few times every semester, and there is a bowling alley on campus that is constantly packed with students. Those that attend Florida State are always open to meeting new people and the university features many events that make this an easy process.

In a school of 40,000, you can find anything and everything. Volunteer organizations, intramural teams, greek life, - absolutely anything. I'm involved with an Emergency Medical Response program on campus - something rather unique to this university.

Tim

Most popular organizations would be major related or political related, this includes student government. I'm involved with ASCE, a group for civil engineers who want to get experience with real world engineers and network. Some students leave their doors open, but most do not. Athletic events are very very popular and many students do not miss them. FSU also have a popular movie theater. Dating is very much what you make of it, its there if you want it. I met my best friends through classes and clubs. At 2am on a Tuesday I'd either be coming home from a get together with friends or in my room reading online. The most traditional event at FSU is the Fall Football season. People party very frequently! Greek life is not necessarily important, it is it's own niche and they stick to themselves. Last weekend I partied, went to some bars, and studied with my classmates. There are many alcohol free options, movies, sport events, and just relaxing with friends. You can do what ever you like, no one really cares what you do.

Greek life is probably the most popular student group. Also the athlectis are are very prominet. The dorm rooms are kind of gross but you meet many people there and do many dorm activties. Going out is always the biggest activity. Everyone is alwasy out on a Thursday night and people are every where getiing drunk. Even during the week alot of people go out to thebars and have a good time. it is a very big party school but you can choose if you want to go ut or not. You can do alot of other things without drinking like go bowling or watch a movie or go to a resturant. Drinking is very big here though, tailgates can get crazy and the bars scene is very fun. I meet my closet friend in my sorority and now i live with them and go out alot with them. I have meet many people by socializing within the greek life and love going out with people.

Charlotte

The most popular groups/organizations on campus are the recreational clubs and intermural sports. FSU is a very active college participating in various sports and teams around campus. I'm mostly involved in honor societies and pre-health orgainzations which are preparing me for medical school and beyond. Athletic events are extremely important to FSU, each student loves to cheer on the Seminoles! Currently, I'm not in the dating scene, but their are plenty of people that are and they are easy to find! I met my closest friends at FSU through the random roomate matching done by the residence halls; I love my new roomates!! Students at FSU deffinantly party and weekends (and even weekdays) are a lot of fun!! Greek life is a subsection of FSU, you don't have to be in it but it does help broading the horizon in order to meet new people.

I would definitely say that a popular student activity is football! During football season, the entire school unites under one roof - Doak's roof! The stadium is always jam-packed with eager students ready to support the 'Noles. There are, of course, sororities and fraternities to join, and I participate in a group called Lady Spirithunters. With a little research, a student could find a club made just for them, and if they have a great idea, they can form their own club with their friends! I know that when I was a freshman, I made great friends down the hall of my dorm just by leaving the door open and walking by them in the hallways. I met many of my closest friends in my classes and at my church. You do not have to be part of an organization to make friends! People are friendly just passing by - you could make a friend in the library studying for a test! Some of the best friends that I have made here would rather get yogurt at midnight and watch movies than party.

Anais

The popular places on campus are the Student Life Center (which shows movies free to students), Strozier library, the student union, and The Sweet Shop. Obviously, football is a huge part of many students lives. There are a lot of parties that go on when there's a football game. I am part of the LGBT group, Hispanic/Latino group, and a knitting circle. The LGBT group is very active. They host gatherings, screenings of movies, drag shows, coming out events, fundraisers, etc. They do tons and tons of stuff. I don't know which groups are most popular, but I know that there's a place for any student to go to meet people just like them, or who like the same things. Students also frequent the surrounding clubs, because there isn't much around campus besides clubs, liquor stores, and fast food. Off campus, there are interesting things to see around Tallahassee. There are very good restaurants, museums, IMAX theaters, malls, a planetarium, and tons of locally owned stores selling cool things. One monthly event that a lot of students go to is First Friday. First Friday is an event in a sort of art park filled with locally owned stores. These stores have everything from glass pipes and bongs, wood carvings, paintings, food, comic books, to vintage clothes and furniture. There are also some religious groups there, there is a Buddhist center, a Pagan center, and a center for Yoga.

Fraternities, sororities, intramural sports, Pride Student Union, academic honor societies

Elisa

The major organizations on campus are related to academic honor societies, Greek organizations, and sports. Once you are in the organization, members accept you. Student like to work together to help other students succeed. The Florida Sate University is full of options for different type of students. There is always something, fun, safe, and interesting to do.

The most popular organizations and groups on campus, at least in my experience, are those that contribute to service or social change. Community service based groups, such as Greek organizations, the campus sustainability initiative, and the student political organizations all band together in the spring to participate in the Big Event, a nationwide collegiate community service effort. Student groups expand to more than just these though. I’ve personally had the experience of being on the air because of my involvement in V89, the campus radio station, and helped protect friends during the campus wide, weeklong Humans vs Zombies tournaments. Freshman year is the year many make lasting friendships on campus, and as a senior, I’m still close friends with my assigned roommate from freshman year. I met my two best friends at FUSE, an on campus ministry that my church founded two years ago. My two best friends are now my roommates, and I know that the three of us will be lifelong friends. The three of us love to go on random adventures, and at 2am on a Tuesday, if we’re awake, we could be stargazing at one of the local parks, studying it up at “Club Stroz,” or getting some late night fuel at one of the many 24/7 restaurants near campus. My friends and I always look forward to Homecoming and Dance Marathon, two major traditions at Florida State. Homecoming is a weeklong competition between pairings of prominent campus organizations that fosters a sense of school spirit and pride. And Dance Marathon is a two-day event designed to raise money for children with serious illnesses. Students stay awake and standing for over twenty-four hours to raise pledges for the cause. And while Pan-Hellenic and IFC Greek life is a prominent part of FSU’s campus, there are still fun things to do for those who choose not to join. Bird’s Aphrodisiac Oyster Shack is a fun place to hang out with friends and sing karaoke on Thursdays. The SLC, or on campus movie theater, free for students, plays great films every weekend. And the FSU Rez is a great way to pursue outdoor activities, such as kayaking, canoeing, and even camping, at a heavily discounted student price.

Greek life is big, and I mean very big. We have a very popular intramural community, and some very interesting alternatives to the traditional outdoor activities. Humans v. Zombies is an insanely popular event that happens once each semester, and the whole campus is plagued with zombie fever. Kids run around with bright yellow bandanas and nerf guns, giving everyone a show with their antics. Our P.R.I.D.E. student union is also very prosperous, along with our feminism club. Honestly, there are so many clubs that I can't even begin to talk about which ones are the most popular, because there really is something for everyone.

Kali

There are almost too many activities going on at FSU to narrow down a list of "most populars". For students in their first year living on campus, the highlights will include football games, events in the union such a cosmic bowling or "Breakfast for a Buck", as well as the socials held in all dormitories for residents to meet, mingle, and network.Simply living in the dorm is an advantage, as often times friendships and social groups will grow out of these floor meetings and parties. Getting involved in any SRO will only pile on the events and educational seminars, whether it's part of an acting guild, an activist group, or a special interest club. There are also intramural sports, activities and free movies at the Student Life Cinema (which plays between 20 and 30 films each semester and is a great place for students to relax without spending any money.) And of course, all FSU team sports, from our rugby league to women's softball to the FSU Seminole football team, are always in full swing. In my time at FSU, I've been involved with Pride Student union, serving as the Historian on board from 2009-2010. Pride is a wonderful and welcoming community that hosts events from board game nights, to book clubs and knitting circles, as well as camping trips and politicically active excursions (last year, a group of about 20 students travelled to Washington DC to participate in an LGBTQ march on the White House). I've also been involved in student theatre groups, both for The Laramie Project and The Vagina Monologues. Joining any artistically collaborative group is a great way to genuinely network. In addition, I attend meetings and events put on by the Center For Participant Education, which have included a variety of free educational classes: basket weaving and photobook making, an introduction to Mass Incarnation as an economic problem, the Food Not Bombs charity, Dr. Norman Finkelstein, grow your own herb garden, and many other incredible free classes. Most of my closest friends, I met through special interest SRO's. The SLC's film committee, the LGBTQ center, the Women's Center, the CPE, and of course, my upper level writing workshops. Students who are afraid that the "college experience" isn't their scene, or that they won't fit into a traditional greek life centered university will have no reason to worry. Florida State is very proud and respectful of our Greek Life comrades and all the charities that their brotherhoods (and sisterhoods) bring to the university. However, the greek life population makes up less than one fifth of the universities population, and if you don't wish to be a part of it, there will rarely be an occasion for you to worry. We also have active religious groups, such as the Wesley Foundation, which is not only a wonderful group of students who are very close, but also incredibly accepting of other beliefs and types of students. I remember being remarkably surprised and grateful while working office hours at the LGBTQ student resource center when a group of Wesley active students invited all of us to come to one of their barbeques. It's this attitude at Florida State, one of camraderie and acceptance, that makes one so proud and grateful to attend a school where differences are accepted and embraced. Off campus, there is a whirlwind of activities and adventures. The FSU Res is a place where you can canoe and do loads of outdoor activities, and most of them are free with your student ID. For those who are less outdoorsy, there are several coffee shops with wifi and bookstores (All Saints, Red Eye, Black Dog, Gaines Bookmine, Paperback Rack, The Book Truck) for the student looking to work or relax quietly. There are plenty of bars and places to meet people or just dance, including Ken's and Potbellies (on campus), which is more popular for greek life students. There is also an incredible music scene in Tallahassee which is somewhat detached from the FSU world, but very easy to submerse oneself in. The Farside is a non alcohol, non smoking, all age venue for student who enjoy the local music scene without the rowdiness of an alcohol fueled party. Students party as much as they want, but there's never been any pressure to party in any circumstance I've experienced.

Kali

Kali

Connor

The most popular student activities are those where everyone is welcome. Games, IM sports, concerts, etc. We have many different events on campus ranging from guest speakers to meet an greets with famous actors. We are full of traditions at Florida State, whether it is drinking green beer all day on St. Patty's day or whether we are lighting the Unconquered statue before a big game. We are a big family and we interact at these events just like a family. Even when I lived in the dorms on campus, in Degraff, i was always hanging out with people. I lived in a nice cubicle at the end of the hall so we just left our doors over and let whoever was around to walk in and out. I have to say the weekend, for me, is full of drinking. I go to clubs, or pools, or parties and just party with friends and random people. if that is not your scene though then you can hang out at the dorm or in the student life center or even at one of our many restaurants on campus. In the day time, at the end of the week, before you attend you night plans you can hang out on Landis green with your fellow students and play soccer, lay out, or throw the frisbee. Florida State has many activities that will suite you, half the time you do not even have to look for them because they are right in your face.

I'd say that the most popular groups on campus are the sororities and fraternities. I'm involved with Alpha Phi Omega, a co-ed service fraternity that focuses on leadership, friendship, and service. We do a lot of community service as a group, but it's a lot of fun and the brothers in the fraternity are truly down to earth people. This is where I made my best friends. Dorm room doors are usually kept closed and locked. Athletic events at FSU are huge, especially football and basketball season. If there is an athletic event during a weekend, that's usually the only thing students are talking about. Guest speakers are also common here, but the theater is not as greatly appreciated. The dating scene is pretty common here. I know a few couples who met in classes or in an organization. If I were awake on a Tuesday at 2am, I'd probably be studying or watching a movie. The big tradition here at FSU is when we play our rivals in football, UF, over thanksgiving. Last weekend I was taken to the woods with some of my pledge brothers to complete a few tasks for initiation. Then I attended an awards ceremony for APhiO, and went to dinner with some friends. Luckily for me, since I don't drink, there is a ton of stuff to do on Saturdays that doesn't revolve around alcohol. On weekends there is usually some kind of event, either a concert or show, that students can attend. There are also plenty of off campus hangout spots where drinking is optional. I tend to have bonfires with my friends, or go to the movies.

One of the most popular activities to do around campus is enjoying the outdoors and playing sports. Whether it is intramural sports, going to the gym, or just going outside to throw the frisbee around, a ton of students are doing it. There are many great outcomes to playing sports on campus. For one, it is a great way to network between students of your sports and get together and play. Secondly, you don't need to know how to play a certain sport to join intramural. Getting involved in an intramural sports gives students a chance to try something new. Lastly, being involved in sports keeps the body healthy and away from the dreaded freshman 15! Outdoor activities are played ball both males and females daily, and is really easy to join and and play. JUST ASK!

Marli

I would have to say that the Greek life at FSU is one of the biggest groups on campus. There are numerous amounts of fraternities and sororities on campus that allow you to fit in with a group of people that you can call your brothers/sisters. I myself am in a sorority, and I go out with these people, and can also go to them when I need a shoulder to cry on (as cheesy as it sounds, it is true). However, I have many other friends in different sororities, or even friends that are not even in sororities. Another popular student group on campus are the Student Government organizations. These groups of students work hand in hand with the student campus population and make sure that their opinion is heard.

To be completely honest, FSU is a huge party school. There isn't much to do in Tallahassee except go to the Strip or go to house parties. Every day of the week, there is some special going on at some bar. Basically, if you desire to go out every night of the week, it is incredibly easy because there are so many places to go. People party a lot, and people party hard. It is not uncommon to see girls stumbling down the streets at 1 a.m. on a Wednesday night. Also, Greek life is very predominant on campus. All the Panhellenic sororities are very involved and, for the most part, well-respected. Fraternities are very similar. They definitely have more of a partying reputation than the sororities, however. Greek letters pop up everywhere on campus, whether you're just walking to class, grabbing Starbucks, or sitting on Landis Green. Sometimes, it seems as if every other person who passes you is Greek. Athletics are a huge part of campus life. Athletes are definitely well-respected. Some of the most popular groups are the club and intramural sports teams. These are great for people who were involved athletes in high school but cannot play a varsity sport. Intramural sports range from basketball to tennis to Quidditch. There is a sport for everyone, even if you are not very athletic. The most popular student groups are probably SGA< SAA, and Greek life. These three groups dominate lots of campus activities, and they have the most students involved. Each group is great to get involved in because they all do positive things around campus. SGA and SAA organize a lot of Homecoming Week events, which involves the entire campus. SGA also holds student elections every year, which takes on the importance of real political elections. The dating scene at FSU changes as you grow older. As freshman, there are very few serious couples. Most kids are looking to hook-up with someone and just have a good time. It is rare for a person of either sex to want a monogamy. However, as you get older, lots of students settle down with steady boyfriends/girlfriends. Also, it is quite frequent for senior women to be engaged in the spring semester of their final year, hence the term "ring by spring." Most freshman live in dorms for their freshman year. FSU dorms also range from extremely nice to extremely bad. Kellum, Smith, and Salley are the three worst dorms on campus. They have not been renovated for years: they do not have Wi-Fi, the paint in the rooms is peeling off, and the bathrooms leave a lot to be desired. Degraff, Wildwood, and Landis are the three newly renovated dorms. They are suite-style dorms which means 4 people share a bathroom with two people living in each room. These are definitely the dorms you want to live in. The rooms are spacious and well-kept, the air works well, and maintenance keeps the hallways and common areas of the dorms looking great.

Gabriela

If I had to guess I would say that the Greek organizations (I think they call themselves "Pannhellenic") are the most popular at FSU. I, however, have never really been involved with or interested in them. I did become involved in a couple of groups that deal with social issues: Amnesty International and Invisible Children. There's definitely a group here for anyone. There's one I always wanted to join that plays Zombie games with Nerf guns. There's also a lot of activities, including a collegiate circus, a couple of annual carnivals and The Golden Tribe Lecturer series which brings speakers as renown as Spike Lee and Elie Wiesel. Like in any college town there are also many bars and clubs. I got all my partying done back in Miami before coming so I don't know much the night scene here but I suspect it's very close to your stereotype of college partying.

Gabriela

If I had to guess I would say that the Greek organizations (I think they call themselves "Pannhellenic") are the most popular at FSU. I, however, have never really been involved of or interested in them. I did become involved in a couple of groups that deal with social issues: Amnesty International and Invisible Children. There's definitely a group here for anyone. There's one I always wanted to join that plays Zombie games with Nerf guns. There's also a lot of activities, including a collegiate circus, a couple of annual carnivals and The Golden Tribe Lecturer series which brings speakers as renown as Spike Lee and Elie Wiesel. Like in any college town there are also many bars and clubs. I got all my partying done back in Miami before coming so I don't know much the night scene here but I suspect it's very close to your stereotype of college partying.

Intramural sports are big at FSU, as are all sports. I myself played, dodgeball, football, and kickball. FSU does have a theater and music program that puts on plays and shows regularly. There is no shortage of social activities, and dating isn't very difficult if you aren't intimidated by disgustingly beautiful girls. Greek life is big and they like to party. But regardless if you're Greek or not, there is always somewhere to go drink on any given night of the week. If drinking isn't your cup of tea, we have an on campus movie theater, and bowling alley. Homecoming is a big tradition, as well as all football games. Of campus you can do anything from golf, to go karts, to canoeing.

Catalina

The most popular student activity here seems to be ultimate frisbee. At the center of campus, in front of the library, is a large field with a fountain and every day, no matter what time of day you come, there are always people playing frisbee. Other notable groups are the Marching Chiefs band, ROTC, and Humans vs. Zombies. Greek life is more heavily focused on sororities than fraternities and as such, more girls belong to greek life. This being said, there is no real pressure to pledge, though many people find it a viable option to making connections on campus. My closest new friend here is my roommate; the random roommate selection really worked well for us, though I have heard tales of woe from friends about their roommates.

There isn't any one group that's the most popular, just some that are more active. I'm involved in the Pride Student Union, which deals with LGBTQ issues on campus and have a couple of great events, like our drag shows, and the Pagan Student Association, which stays closely involved with the local Pagan community in Tallahassee. I don't think many students in dorms leave their doors open, not if they want to keep their stuff. The athletic events, at least football, are VERY popular. Guest speakers not as much, unless they're involved in Hollywood, such as Sir Ian McKellan or John Waters. The theater department puts on a lot of popular musicals and plays that a lot of students actually go see. The dating scene is pretty casual, most meet-ups are bars or coffee shops. I met my closest friends through the organizations here on campus, mainly Pride. If I'm awake at 2am on a Tuesday, I'm eating pizza, drinking a cocktail and watching Doctor Who with my friends, or at a club. Seminole Sensation Week is week before the first day of the fall semester, and it's a HUGE event with all kinds of activities and free food that anyone can get into. On a Saturday night with no drinking, there's Crenshaw Lanes, the bowling alley on campus, the Student Life Cinema which has a lot of free movies, and you can still go dancing at the clubs without drinking.

Florida State offers over 500+ clubs and organizations for students to get involved with. We pride ourselves on student involvement because study's have shown that a more involved student gets better grades as well! One of the organizations that I'm involved with is the Student Life Cinema Film Committee. That's right, our University has its own movie theatre! And movie's are free for students with their FSUID. The movie theatre is completely run and operated by students. Film Committee meets twice week, hosts film discussions, and votes on what movies should be played in the theatre. We show anything from major blockbusters, to cult classics, to midnight zingers!

There are hundreds of different groups and activities around Florida State University. The most prevalent would probably be Greek Life, as there are four different divisions of sororities and fraternities (Interfraternity Council, Panhellenic Association, Non-Panhellenic Association, and Multicultural Greek Council). I happen to have been in a Panhellenic Sorority since my sophomore year of college and I have enjoyed it so much I now live in my sorority house. This is how I met some of my closest college friends. A great deal of my friends I also met by studying abroad. Athletic events are extremely popular on campus. When there is a home football game, the town literally shuts down. Students, alumni, parents, and fans from all over come to enjoy a day of tailgating and spectating. Our basketball, women and mens, teams are well known as well. Florida State also is one of two universities in the country with a circus! They have a few shows every semester and any student can take circus classes if they wish to do so.

Jena

This school never seizes a dull moment. There is always so many activities and social events to partake in. During the day students could join an extra curricular club or join an intramural sports team. At night the towns bars and clubs offer a great night life and party scene to dance, drink (if you are legal), hang out with friends, and meet new people! House and Frat parties are also a plus around Tallahassee. If you don't like to drink and enjoy a chill night there are hookah lounges, movie theaters, and select restaurants open late hours. On weekends students can enjoy a nice day at the rez canoeing or go downtown for rock climbing. Football games and tailgating are big to students in Florida State and we love to cheer on our basketball team during the cold winter nights. The greek life is big here but just because you aren't apart of it does not mean you are missing out!

Greek life is very popular at FSU. Over 1,500 girls signed up to go through sorority rush this past fall recruitment. There are 15 sororities on campus and even more fraternities. I am in Kappa Kappa Gamma. Greek life presents a great opportunity to get involved in many aspects of the campus and community. I am a member of two Greek honors societies and have held numerous leadership positions during my time at FSU. There are a few very popular clubs at FSU including The Student Alumni Association, The FSU Ad club, and Student Government. But students are encouraged to start their own club if they can't find an existing one on campus. Football games are VERY popular at FSU as the school has a very strong athletic tradition. The men's basketball and baseball teams also have strong audiences at their games. There are many other sports that students are encouraged to attend free of charge. The dating scene at FSU is hard to describe. Many people relish in their single life of hooking up and dating. I also know a lot of people who are in serious committed relationships throughout college. There is room for every preference here. If I'm awake at 2am on a Tuesday I am either leaving the bar or watching a movie with some friends. Homecoming is a big tradition. There are events throughout the week including a talent show and contest for biggest fan on campus, a parade with competition for best float and a scavenger hunt across the entire campus. FSU has a great party scene, any night of the week you want to go out there's a different bar to go to. But many students choose to hit up club Strozier (what students affectionately call the Strozier library) during the week and save the partying for the weekend. FSU prides itself on giving students the opportunities to participate in many different social activities. If you don't like to drink try going to the on campus movie theater on a Saturday night to watch a free movie, or go eat at the on campus Chili's restaurant before going to paint a pot in the union or go cosmic bowling at the on campus bowling rink. There are plenty of things to do.

Bret

Truthfully, a large majority of Florida State campus activities are sometimes dictated by the Greek life that resides there. Although there are plenty of alternatives (bowling alleys, movie theatres, gyms, practice fields, libraries, union markets, etc.) Greeks are a definite presence. However, outside of campus is a different matter. One of the greatest places in Tallahassee is the FSU Reservation, a multi-acre plot of land 10 minutes outside the city with a waterfront, lake activities like kayaking, swimming, paddle-boarding, a rock wall, a disc golf course, and regularly scheduled events. In town, there are great restaraunts which cater to the college student's budget, fun bars and lounges such as Level 8 atop Hotel Duval, and public/state parks throughout (Wakulla Springs is just a half-hour drive from campus!). There is not any presiding "norm" of students in Tallahassee (outside of sorority/fraternity brothers and sisters, whose goal seems to be assimilation and conformity to one another). There is a definite hipster/eco-friendly scene that overtakes some of the local coffee shops (Black Dog Cafe, All-Saints Cafe, RR Square, etc.), a dubstep culture at venues (The Engine Room, The Moon) and a bicycle pandemic throughout the city.

Yanelis

The most popular group on campus for Florida State has to be the Football team. They are respected individuals that are committed to their school and add to the spirit and vigor of the school. There are also many small clubs, like HLSU, that focus on a student's ethnic background to make the transition from home to school much easier. HLSU is the Hispanic Latino Student Union, they set up activities at Nightclubs and restaurants and encourage everyone to come and experience a Latin culture, even those that are not Hispanic. Activities such as those, as well as Football and Basketball games, and Theatre shows are extremely popular and extremely visited. The amount of involvement in extracurricular that this school has is incredible. Homecoming Parade is a wonder that everyone gets together to see. The Marching Chiefs provide such spirit that students cannot help but support their school in every way. Besides these few things, there are other off-campus activities that many students engage in. There are comedy clubs, as well as Nightclubs to go to. On a typical Saturday night, you can either be off campus bowling, or you can be at the SLC (Student Life Cinema) on campus watching one of the latest movies. There is a million and one things to do around here and a million and one people that are willing to meet new people and go out and have a good time.

Sandra

There isn't really one specific "most popular activity". The first instinct is, of course, to say Greek life. But besides Greek life there is so much to do and be involved in. For example, there are tons of campus ministries from every religion imaginable. There are clubs ranging from skydiving to biking to crafting. There are even kids who LARP, also known as Live Action Role Playing, on Landis Green. Student Government is open to any and all students, and is a great way to get involved and see what is going on behind the scenes. Off campus there are cafes where poetry readings are common, as well as clubs that change their theme every night, so if you want to line dance on Friday and salsa on Thursday, it's possible. Incredibly, a huge hangout spot on campus is the main library, Strozier, fondly known as "Club Stroz" by many students. They have a 24 hour Starbucks that's open during library hours, and Strozier itself is open 24 hours Sunday-Thursday. People don't go to the library just to do work; it is a social place. There is so much to do and be involved in. All you have to do is walk out your door.

There are so many things to get involved with on campus that it's difficult to pick a most popular. There are so many diverse students at FSU, each of which have such different interest and life plans. I am in a sorority an involved in Seminole Student Boosters, which helps the Athletic teams, and am a member of the Pre-law Society. Athletic events are extremely popular to attend. Baseball, basketball and football games are all so much fun to attend and you don't need to pay anything, just show the door people your student ID. I met my closest friends freshman year, some in my classes, some in my dorm, and some through friends' friends. Freshman year, my roommate and I would leave our door unlocked for people to visit, but always locked it when we left our dorm room. The partying scene varies per person and also with how much schoolwork is consuming a student's life that particular week. There are places to go out each night, it's the student's decision of they can go out and still make the grades. Fraternities and Sororities are a fun part of college but not necessary to join for a college experience. I joined a sorority my sophomore year of college so I have seen both sides of the spectrum. I have had a blast on both sides and met so many friends that are greek and are not greek. The dating scene is so difficult to describe because meeting someone can happen in a variety of situations. I met my first college boyfriend in one of my classes, and I met my current boyfriend while studying abroad. My friends have met boys in their classes or through their friends. It's not necessary to have a significant other in college. My friends and I have been on and off single throughout college and as long as you learn to stay true to yourself then you will be able to have the best of both worlds while either single or taken. There are so many things to do besides go out on the weekends. There are bowling allies, cheap movie theaters, restaurants, or you can go to a friends apartment and just have a relaxing night.

There is not one group more popular than the other. There are always groups you can join and teams you can join. Intramural Sports and Club sports are so much fun. People come out and support you. And the FSU sports teams are great events. Everyone gets decked out in their garnet and gold just as they would for a football game and go to support the teams. I am a member of Greek Life. I have met my best friends there and I love every minute of it. There are always different events going on that support different philanthropies and charity work. There is always something that you can do to get involved. I live off campus now and I truly miss living on campus. It is a great college experience that I will never forget, it is so convenient and easy and I loved my roommate. We got along great and were always there for each other. I lived in Jenny Murphree, the all girls dorm, and I loved it. It was great to have only girls, I could go and knock on any door and find someone to hang out with. Everyone was so nice and great. I have met one of my best friends in that dorm and we make time to see each other every week even though we live in separate apartment complexes.