Florida State University Top Questions

What are your classes like?

It really depends on your major. Being an art major, most of my classes for my major are very small. I love it because I've made a lot of great friends in my classes, know my professor on a more personal level, and have had a lot of one on one time in the subject. Smaller classes also make you want to attend class more because people will notice if you are gone. My classes are also very hands on and interactive so it keeps me motivated and excited to keep going to class. Majors like business, communications, biology, etc tend to have a larger class environment. I have taken the basic liberal arts classes where I have been a part of a larger class. It is a nice change and Florida State still puts forth the best effort to connect every student with the professor no matter how large the class is.

My classes are apart of a new major called Editing, Writing and Media. It is similar to a journalism major. My classes Are all designed around the modernization of writing for the new age and the altering of journalistic writing for online publications. All of my classes are in hi-tech classrooms with state of the art technology designed for us to experience very bit of new age writing.

Sandra

For the most part, classes are very fun... as long as you participate. Certain teachers understand that some people don't like to talk as much, and if you're one of those people, don't sweat it. This past semester (Fall 2011) I was lucky enough to be in all small classes for my major (Creative Writing.) I enjoyed the intimacy of the classroom, and actually made a ton of really great friends in the process. My classes were small, but serious, and very informative. For the most past, classes at FSU are A+. Many members of the faculty are known nationwide for their excellence in academics. Most teachers strive to make their classes interesting, and there's almost always a catch to your grades, including extra credit and things of that nature. Overall, the classes are very fun, very informative, and very unique.

It really depends on the class. Most classes you learn a decent amount, some are mind-numbingly dull, and some are incredible, either the subject or the instructor. It's sort of a non-violent Russian Roulette that looks good on your transcript, so win-win.

Some classes are larger than others, but being an English major as well as a Business major, I get to experience both. I think that at FSU, the teachers really care. I've had to set up meetings outside of a teacher's office hours because I work 30+ hours a week and find it hard to meet with teachers during their set office hours. I think that the classes are challenging, but it's nice to stimulate the mind.

Kestrel

I'm an International Affairs major. I've taken courses in political history, international relations, war, economics and human rights. My classes are rigorous. The material isn't difficult but it challenges you to not only be a thnker, but to be a doer...to go out and solve the issues we discuss.

Really depends on the class: 1.) French II - Only 12 people in my class. Very intimate. We sit in a round circle and speak mostly in French. We have conversations and watch movies. Quizzes twice a week. Exam every other week. Get a lot of points for participation and homework online. 2.) Abnormal Psychology - Lecture class. About 80 students total, but only about 40 show up for class. Teacher lectures with Powerpoint slides. Taking notes helps, but he posts slides online. No attendance, but extra credit quizzes given in class. Only grades are five exams. 3.) Newsletter Internship - Class of 30 students write a nonfiction journalism article for the English Department Newsletter that is published once a semester. They work from brainstorming, to interviewing, to editing, to design - the whole shabang! 4.) Leadership in Groups - This class is a part of the Leadership Certificate program. Involves a lot of social psychology learning. Is a Service-learning course - class is divided into different volunteer groups that serve the community and put into practice group leadership concepts. Discussion posts twice a week, three tests, and a final paper. 5.) Line-Editing graduate class - Taking this graduate-level course for honors credit. Meets once a week for three hours. Write and edit two 1,000 word papers on any subject within editing group circles. Graded on attendance and editing skills.

As an English major, with a primary focus in creative writing, my classes are generally writing based. To fulfill a literature requirement this semester I was able to take a more relaxed class, although it was a 4000-level course, entitled "The Broadway Musical." Florida State has tons of subject specific classes like this for students of varying interests. Broadway is not a particular passion of mine but it was fun to take part in a class in which I could learn about such a prevalent form of entertainment in our culture. I am also double majoring in Italian so I have been able to take Italian language and literature classes, which I have a big interest in. Florida State is fortunate to have professors who are not only fluent in Italian but are actually from Italy to be instructing these courses. My conversation Italian teach is from a city near Milan and is a great source to be learning the lanugage from because we not only learn the words and phrases from a textbook, we also learn idiomatic expressions and commonalities straight.

Jena

Over the years the type of classes I have taken have varied. When I walk into a class such as Principles of Advertising or Intro to PR the atmosphere is completely different than that of a Poetic Technique class or WEPO. I enjoy both the crowded lecture classrooms and the quant get to know everyone on a personal level type vibes. While learning about different marketing strategies over a projector and the questions from various different people I get a sense of just learning the ins and outs of the business world. One in which I wish to be apart of come graduation. Although my major concentration is editing, writing, and media, and from this I take the different pointers on how critical text and text technologies shape our society. My professors are always helpful and available during there office hours for additional help. I am to know what is expected of me in each class from the first day the syllabi is handed out. Although every class requires different amounts of work or tests I am required to manage my time accordingly in order to get them all successfully done. Fellow classmates in Florida State have always been respectful towards one another and collaborate well in order to pass. Attending class always pays off!

Layni

Classes at Florida State are challenging, but in the good sense. You don't want to be bored in class, you'll never retain the knowledge outside of the course! And why would you want to waste your time on something that doesn't interest you. The courses here at FSU provide students with an academic challenge to strive for their best, and to think critically and analytically overall in all areas of subject matter. Different classes take different approaches to how the class is taught. There are many interactive teachers that like to make learning in the classroom fun-which usually ends up making learning easy. You'll have to study, even if you've never studied a day in your life before-I was one of those kids in high school, but trust me when I tell you that it's not a good idea to test out how far you can make it without studying; college is a whole new ball game.

The types of classes at FSU have a very wide range. There are traditional science and math classes and very unique classes. Whenever possible it seems like departments and professors are trying to change the material to make it more relevant to students than in the past. I took a great class in the English department in which we got into groups and created a print publication and digital publication. We had to create all of the content for both so write the articles, take the pictures and come up with the name and design. It was so interesting to work with all aspects of the creation project and it was eye opening to see that I really enjoyed some aspects of the creative process that I had never thought about before. And now I have both publications to show when I go on job interviews!

Charneisha

I am currently an English major with a concentration in editing, writing, and media. When it comes to English, the classroom setting is more intimate. At the most, your classes will have 25 students. This gives you more opportunity to work one-on-one with your professor about your work and to grasp everything better. I do know my professors by their name, just as they know my name. General study classes like sciences and math classes that are not needed for your major tend to be larger classroom settings. A lot of times when you have these classes professors know those students who interact or go to their office hours. As stated above, once you are into your major the classroom sizes begin to get smaller. I like both classroom settings. In the larger lecture class I feel it challenges you more. Here you have to interact and give feedback, and not just sit in the back of the classroom being timid. Also, the smaller classroom settings help those who are not as outgoing as I am. Students at my university are very competitive. I feel that this benefits the individual the most. Being that someone in your class is competitive it pushes you harder, and makes one want to strive to be the best. I feel that education here is geared toward getting a job. Many majors require internships in order to graduate. This makes students go out and get the experience needed to build their resume. Also, we have a career center. The career center is geared to helping you compose resumes; cover letters, doing mock interviews and even hosting job fairs to help students. I feel that my university goes over and beyond to help individuals prepare for a better future.

I feel that classes at FSU are generally easy! Professors care more about teaching you than having you just finish with a grade. Professors care most about how much effort you put into a class, and your grade is often reflected by how much you try, more so, than test grades.

I am a sophomore at FSU currently double majoring in English: Editing, Writing, and Media and Sports Management with a minor in Recreation and Leisure Management. It is an interesting course of study, but I absolutely love it and could not be happier! I did change my major a few times until I settled with something that fit me right. I was accepted into FSU as a pre-med student, but after the first semester I realized it was not for me. With the help of excellent student advisors, the transition was easy and actually fun to be honest. Classes are as hard as you make them to be and have a lot to do with your major choice. When I was pre-med I was definitely a lot more stressed, but now that I have found something that suits me better, classes are fun and interesting for me. I feel like upon graduation I will be ready for the real world. Both of my majors require some sort of internship before graduating, which really helps get that job field experience. I am happy with the academic opportunities and help offered at Florida State University.

My classes are relatively small - around 20 to 30 kids in a class - with one exception being a small auditorium class with 140 students. Even though that class is so big, the professor is always willing to talk to you before or after class, or during office hours, and is extremely approachable. All my classes are engaging, and encourage class participation.

Christin

This semester I am currently taking: Construction Documents- where we have just completed a 16 pg spread of floor plans, dimensions, designs, electrical plans, power plans, detail drawings, etc. of a two-story law firm office. Construction Systems- consisting of methods and materials of every type of construction so that plans can be drawn properly and ideas are clearly expressed. Lighting Fundamentals- which includes being able to calculate levels of footcandles and how many lumens are required to reach that level, as well as specifying fixtures that have the needed characteristics of the room. History of Interiors- currently learning about the Victorian style, including the Beaux Arts, and Second Empire style, their origins and influences Portfolio- Preparation for the creation of our future portfolio for future employers. .... Needless to say, I rarely have any free time on my hands, but I wouldn't trade it for the world.