Florida State University Top Questions

MRSA AND CHLAMYDIA ON THE LOOSE! The one thing I wished someone would have told me before I went here was to not choose a random roommate. So here's my story: I moved into my room having friendly chats with my roommates and suite mates over Facebook, not knowing any of them before arriving. As we all moved in they all seemed fairly sweet and down to earth. But what I didn't know was as soon as their parents left my suite mates turned into party monsters. And I mean MONSTERS. They went clubbing every night and came back and threw an afterparty around 3am every night, yes weeknights too. As this progressed and the number of times they had sex with random boys in OUR shower, I got fed up of the sounds of a bull fight in my bathroom. A few weeks later one of my suite mates ran into my room talking about how she had chlamydia and she had to take this medicine that she couldn't drink alcohol with. Heaven for bid she doesn't go out one night. (She actually went out and drank while on the meds if you were wondering.) My roommate and I both complained about how crappy they were as suite mates. We were both tired of cleaning the various pubes from their male friends every morning as well as their bloody vomit they somehow missed on the white tile. PLOT TWIST: My roommate started using a ventilator, I knew she had scars on her legs but I wasn't going to ask what they were because unlike my suite mates, I'm respectful. What I soon found out was that my roommate had MRSA. Yes, a condition that is HIGHLY contagious in close living quarters. So my freshman fall semester ended up being surrounded by psychos and diseases. I eventually moved out into a single with a private bath. It's glorious. So take this advice kids, request a single and buy a fish. You never get lonely and you never get disturbed. And of course you're not surrounded by infectious diseases! :)

The worst thing I about my school is the lack of cleanliness. Yes, the dorms do get cleaned everyday but I don't think they get cleaned to the best of their ability. Some things just seem to be always broken or never working when you need them to the most.

Dounia

There are very few things, if any, that are conisdered "bad" about Florida State University. The dorms offer a friendly social environment, though sometimes the paper-thin walls tend not to block out the sounds of other boisterous students. The dorms, therefore, are perhaps not always the most suitable place to study for exams. Strozier Libaray, however, is open 24/7, providing several levels of study areas, getting quieter per floor until complete silence is reached on the fifth floor. While dorms may get loud from time to time, students can always rely on Storizer for peace and quiet.

The emphasis of greek life and how it runs almost ever aspect of the campus

The worst thing about Florida State is the rigor of the courses. I do not feel challeneged at Florida State because the student body is so diverse in the learning curve that they tend to teach right down the middle of it.

One thing I do not like about this university is the heavy focus on greek life. I am personally not involved and I have nothing against them I just feel that they have somewhat of a privilege over other students.

Mikayla

I think the worst thing about this school is just the size of it, it can be dificult to navigate at first. It can also be tough to figure out where things are in the surrounding area, such as the grocery store, or how to get there. However, these things come with time and the university offers services to help with transportation such as the campus buses and the Safe Bus that runs at nights.

There are many organizations and oppurtunities made available to all students. However, for many of these oppurtunities you have to get off campus and it could take over an hour to take the city bus somewhere that is 15 minutes away. Many oppurtunities are not so accessible to people that do not have a car with them on campus.

Donna

Transportation is the worst. There is never parking. Many people get towed and have tickets from the lack of parking. Also, the bus routes have changed multiple times within the year ranging bus times from 10 minute per route to 30 minutes per route. I have been late on multiple occasions due to these problems.

I think the worst thing about my school is the location. I am from a large town and to go from that to a smaller more rural town was not my favorite thing.

Moriah

The worst thing about the school are the insane hills on campus.

RaeChanze

I'm not sure whatthe worst thing is, I have truly enjoyed my experience here.

Pamela

Well, I wouldn't say that there is any worst thing about this school except that the school is not strictly competitive and therefore there is always an opportunity for any one regardless of age and race to get a fair shot at having a decent education.

cody

While the collaboration in engineering schools between FAMU and FSU adds a fresh dose of diverstiy, it also causes problems with grading, scheduling, and travel between campuses. Differences in grading and scheduling policies between the universities could be mitigated with more cooperation, and the engineering bus route which was rerouted in the Fall of this year could be restoed to its riginal route where it drops off at a convenient location on campus and is consintently arriving at 15 minute intervals. The new transportation app is convenient, but not so much as a practical bus route.

The worst part about my school is that it is surrounded by bars and clubs. It is sad to see friends and people I don't even know jeopardize their grades, and chance to stay in the school for what they believe is, 'college experience'. I disagree, college is about doing the best you can to learn and having fun in other ways than just getting drunk.

Sometimes it felt too large. There are so many people enrolled in the school.

The worst things about this school is definetly the longs lines for coffee. It's so dissapointing when your so tired and running late to class and you can't wait in that line because you are already late. Also I don't like the on campus food. I think it doesn't have the best quality and isn't the healthiest for you.

Most colleges are fairly liberal places, but even in this type of environment there's a lot of awful stuff. Antisemitism and Antiziganism is everywhere, racism is as bad as you would expect in a place that's half an hour from georgia, and of course there's homophobia and biphobia and the lot. The worst thing, however, is that we value our football team so much that we let our "star player" get away with rape and ran his victim off campus.

Daimi

The worst thing would be all the walking you have to do but thats a minimum price to pay to come to as schoo as amazing as this one

Since it is so big the departments do not have the same information. When you have a question you have to go to 5 different departments.

I feel the worst thing about my school is that, even though the school has a lot of cultural and ethnic diversity, it does not do all it can to have students discover these. As a student however, you should push through and learn as much as you can. Sometimes just talking to a person with a different ethnic or cultural background then yourself can be a life changing experience. Florida State University is a wonderful place to have these opportunities.

The union/main campus cafeteria is out of date.

cassandra

Nothing

I honestly can't think of something bad about FSU!

Luke

The profiteering off of students in all aespects. The quality of service, housing, food, tuition is much too low for the price students pay.

The worst thing about my school if I had to choose would be the amount of people that live in th Talahassee area. There are a variety of different people and ages considering it is oth Florida's capital and a college town.

The worst thing about FSU is that it has barely any coverage when the weather turns on you. Walking in the rain is a hassle to begin with, but having to take that walk through an entire campus of uneven terrain and construction can be very difficult.

The worst thing about my university is that there are very few professors that make students interested in the subjects they teach. Powerpoint usage is very high here, and interaction and teaching of practical knowledge is very low. While there are some really great professors here who really know how to teach well, there is a larger portion of professors who are just teaching so they can get their doctorate degree, so they are not as focused on really teaching the students.

I think the worst thing about FSU is that it is very hard to get accepted to the programs and majors that are critical for the career you want. I have applied to a program within my major that is critical to being able to learn more and be successful in my career twice and still haven't been accepted. I have other friends who have applied to their major and been denied, leaving them to decide whether they have to transfer to another college or change their career because they can't get into their major or program.

Rabiya

There are a multitude of things. Particularly in how situations are handled and how institutitons such as the campus police department operate. I not only physically feel unsafe but emotionally and mentally I wouldn't rely on many of the departments at the university for aid. If you are not involved primarily in a way that funds the school (greek life or other) the school really has no concern for your well being. Especially if you are a minoritiy it seems as though the priority and stance the school has is favored to the majority.

There are so many extracirruclar activities avaiable at Florida State University that sometimes the students forget the main reason why they are attending college: to get a degree.

Leonardo

Parking. If you're going to bring your car to Florida State, be aware you must leave your house at least one hour before your class begins. FSU is a great university to attend, yet a terrible place to park your vehicle with limited spaces in the garages.

Massiel

The worst thing i would consider about my school is the financial aide office just because i have had really bad experience with them.

daniel

I would have to say, just from a first year judgement, is the lack of caring from some general faculty, who are in positions where they're supposed to care. I've been to the career center four times, with four different people, who have suggested four different careers.

Mitchell

There always seems to be construction going on somewhere, and more often than not, it seems like it's right outside your classroom window when you're in the middle of a test or a teacher is explaining something important.

Clay

The worst thing about my school is the tuition. I was lucky to receive some financial aid for my academics but had it not been for that, iI would not have been able to attend tis awesome college.

FSU is a big party school. If people like to party it is great for them but some people just want to study and it makes it harder when the people around you do not care or are to hungover to pay attention.

too much focus on athlectics but they get our school money.

Kayleigh

In my opinion Florida State University has nothing unpleasant about it. If I had to name one thing off the top of my head it would have to be the line at the Financial Aid office at the beginning of each semester. But isn't that the same at any large university? Even before this football crazed school won the National Championship, the environment walking around campus and in the classrooms was very tranquil. Fellow teachers and students will always go out of their way to help one another.

Shateria

I would have to say that there is nothing wrong with Florida State University. I love my school and nothing wrong with it.

I love my school so much and I wouldn't change anything about it except the finances. I feel as though being in college, the government should not be as harsh as they are with tuition. I have to struggle to suceed. It is hard, but my father says that I am only investing my future. I hate the amount, but I can understand why it costs so much.

How expensive it is if you don't receive a lot of financial aid.

Isabella

I honestly can not think of anything. The only thing would be that I grew up a University of Miami fan and I am at Florida State University so that has been a weird transition.

Though I am a bit biased, I believe that Florida State University is the best school in the nation. However, if I have to point out one of its very few flaws, it would be that the immense size of Florida State University can be very intimidating. It was difficult for me to adjust to being a small fish in an extremely big pond. Still, I made friends in my classes, met my neighbors in my dorm, and joined clubs that allowed me to find people that made the big pond seem just a little bit smaller.

Luis

The lack of diversity. Many of the people there are very similar in terms of cultural background, social and political stance, interests, and general outlook on life. I consider this to be the worst thing at FSU because the college experience is supposed to broaden one's mind, not continue exposing it to ideas similar to the ones previously held. Furthermore, it can be a bit of a hostile environment for those who don't agree with or hold those ideas. The whole recent debacle regarding the school's quarterback, Jameis Winston, serves as a perfect example of this phenomenon.

The worst thing about my school is that the majority of the social life is focused around Greek Life.

Neil

The worst thing about my school is porbably the same as other schools, and that's that the students seem to idolize drinking. It's really not a whole lot of students but the ammount of people I have seen compromise themselves is sickening to me.

Ariel

The only thing that I do not like about FSU is the lack of parking availibility on campus.

Cristina

It's physical location in Tallahassee. Some areas can be very sketchy while others normal. Additionally, the hills make it easy to get out of breath walking around campus!