Florida State University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Florida State University

Tracy

As a biochemistry major at Florida State University, I would recommend anyone majoring in the field of science to go elsewhere. The teaching assistants and tutors in science classes are fantastic, but the department of chemistry as a whole is slight lacking when it comes to helping students--there are lots of scheduling issues and labs have a lot of faulty apparatus, etc. Science teachers here are also a bit more inflexible. The people who should come here are those interested in law or sports management. Florida State has great programs for those majors. Another benefit of Florida State is the number of extracurricular activities available. The Student Government Association is helpful in alleviating costs for clubs, so students do not have to worry about paying so much out of pocket for joining many clubs. Additionally, Florida State has a theater and gaming area that is free of cost for students. There are many ways to relax across campus.

Florida State University is an institution that provides substance and important knowledge in an individual's life. As cliche as it sounds, being at this school for the past term has really opened my eyes and inspired me to do so much more than what I originally planned. Everyday there is a club or organization that explains their significance and impact on the world inspiring young leaders to join. With its various cultural clubs and organization dedicated to helping underprivileged students Florida State honestly cares about each student. The CARE department is also a significant part in Florida State. Their main goal is to help student minorities from disadvantaged backgrounds and ensure them help to gradation. Their overwhelming support of the staff and faculty makes every student feels as if they are not alone. This is why Florida state will always be my home and family because this school challenges me to become the better version of me.

grace

I think it is an amazing place to go to school. I could not imagine myself feeling so at home anywhere else. I think Florida State University is the best place in Florida for the major that I am in and has great opportunities. The classes that I have taken have been fun and organized. If I feel that I need extra help in a course the free tutoring on campus has always been helpful and the professors have made office hours accessible to ask any questions that I have.

Andrew

I absolutely love the university that I attend! I moved here from over a thousand miles away and I cannot have chosen a better school. The students are so kind and friendly, the campus is gorgeous, and the professors really care about how you do in their classes. The school spirit is ridiculous and there are so many clubs and organizations to join. I am so lucky to wake up everymorning to such a beautiful view of the campus. i highly recommend!

Sarwar

I t was the best university that i saw it in my life keep and going with them you can feel in your get dreams there.

Jasmine

Florida State University is my home away from home. This institute offers me a multitude of opportunities to network with other, find internships, and get involved with extracurricular activities. I know that once I cross that stage and receive my degree, I will be confident knowing my future is in good hands thanks to Florida State.

Naila

FSU has many amazing opportunities for students. The campus is filled with different groups and with so many people attending you're bound to find people you can relate to. Diversity and inclusion are things that need to be improved. I am a black student and there have been instances where race issues have happened.

Madison

FSU is a wonderful school with a lot of opportunities for all kinds of students. The academics at FSU are amazing, and all of the Professors I have had have been nice, engaging, and so willing to help us succeed. I absolutely love FSU, and I highly recommend it to everyone.

Rebecca

I love it!

Emma

I love the campus, people are friendly, the campus is beautiful. There is always something going on at campus like Market Wednesday, movie theater showings, bowling, annual events like the Spring Fling mini carnival and drag shows. At new student orientation and football games it is a bonding experience. When the unfortunate event of a campus shooting occured at strozier library in 2014, everyone came together. Thousands of students were present during a candlelight ceremony. When there was a hurricane the first week of classes in fall 2016, the campus civic center opened there doors for students that lost power in their dorms or apartments. The few downfalls are the rule that if you live in specific dorms you need to pay for an expensive food plan, there are fees for music majors (and I'm assuming for others as well), extra fees for online classes and they have fees withing tuition that Florida Prepaid cannot cover. Despite this I have been enjoying my experience at FSU

Daniel

I love Florida State. I've never been to another college, but being at Florida State has changed my life. I've met so many people, being at FSU feels like being a part of a community more than just a college. Moreover, I love the on-campus activities, there's so many of them. The school really cares about you.

Jessie

I love FSU, but there are definitely things that could be improved. They're in the process of updating a lot of the on campus housing, which is great. There could be more amenities (like study rooms, especially during midterms and finals) and more food options. Generally though the atmosphere is nice and the campus is beautiful.

Florida State University is an amazing school to attend. It is a school that is extremely spirited where we really are a community. There are tons of clubs on campus and something for everyone to get involved in. The classes are challenging, but the professors are great and all have office hours that we can get help at. Football is huge here and everyone represents our "Garnet and Gold," which is a really cool aspect of our school. Our school spirit is second to none. To be honest, I was not originally going to attend Florida State University, and my parents had made me apply. However, now that I am here, I am so glad to be here at one of the best schools in the nation.

Maiya

This school has provided me access to new extracurricular activities that I didn't even know existed. Many of the activities are very welcoming to beginners and have more experienced people teach you the basics of the activity. Plus it's easy to create a new one. Parking is awful but you can say that about other places. I have enjoyed my time here.

Melissa

When I first stepped foot on campus, I fell in love. The old trees lining the sidewalks, the red brick buildings, the fountains and the ease with which I could navigate through the area even with my terrible sense of direction, all combined to cause a bubbly feeling in the pit of my stomach. I decided that I would love it here and that I’d never regret coming. After classes started and I got used to the scenery and the people, and after the luster of being in a new place had died, I thought “okay, this is it, I’m going to get bored here”, but I didn’t. There are hundreds of campus organizations ranging from tango and Latin dance clubs to human rights and political organizations. There are clubs for readers, thinkers, doers and those who’d like to escape from it all and drown in the wonderful world of Japanese anime. The classes are just as diverse, from Russian Fairy Tales, to Engineering, to Dance, everyone is served here no matter your interests and/or major. Then there was the food. When parents send their kids off to college they often imagine them weeping into their cup-o-noodles while praying for Thanksgiving to "just get here already!"; ready for a home cooked meal and anything that isn’t pre-packaged, but most FSU students wouldn’t fit that criteria. The dining halls serve good food, there are enough restaurants on and around campus to satisfy any craving and most of the carts you’ll see rolling though the local supermarkets will have some combination of fruit and veg; though probably not enough to make most parents happy. Greek life is a thing, football is life and we all just wish we were nearer to the beach. FSU is weird, eclectic, fun, challenging, terrifying and the best place for any college student to call home.

Kristin

The school itself is super nice! The buildings are clearly marked with their names so it's easy to find your way around. The food wasn't great but it could've been worse. The teachers that I've had have been very accessible and easy to communicate with.

Eumarely

I love Florida State. I fell in love with he campus, the environment, the surrounding life outside of the campus. I knew this was the perfect fit for me. There are friends in every corner and I feel like I will flourish as I continue my studies here.

Alexandra

I truly feel at home here. I am thankful for the many opportunities and amenities provided, like undergraduate research, free tutoring, spectacular health and wellness facility that waives co-pay, free counseling, a beautiful library, and great professors. The people I have met here and the beautiful diversity I have experienced have changed my life for the better.

Though I did not originally plan to attend Florida State, I don't regret it one bit. FSU has been a pretty great experience for me so far and I'm extremely grateful for for the connections I've made. In almost all of my classes (save for one over a summer session) there is always class participation and intellectual discussion. The teachers almost always are willing to work with you and help you- if you ask for it that is. Office hours are held regularly and you can almost always find a study session being set up amongst your classmates to prepare for an upcoming exam or test. Though there is a slight lack of diversity, FSU makes up for this by having many clubs and organizations for different ethnic groups as well as pretty much any hobby or activity one may have. The atmosphere at any sporting event is also guaranteed to make you feel right at home (though if you don't know the fight song you might want to learn it pretty quickly!) and like a true Seminole. Overall, FSU is a great school and I would definitely recommend it to someone looking to further their education in a well-rounded and productive learning environment. GO NOLES!

Sahdyah

I absolutely love Florida State University. My three years on campus have been such a great experience for me. Though I am an introvert, I've explored the campus plenty of times and enjoy the culture. I have met some really cool people that I consider friends and the professors are pretty great. What makes my experience better is that I am not the only person in my family who have been to this school. A lot of my family members love coming back here and celebrating with me about how great FSU is. I am very happy to share that I got accepted into the Masters of Science in Finance program at FSU so I will be able to spend one more year at the school I love. I wouldn't ever trade anything else for that moment.

Eric

Florida State is a wonderful university for those are very out going the atmosphere is very welcoming. It is highly recommended that you get involved in an organization or a club, a Sororities is not the only option to grow close with a group of friends. If you planning to live on campus a car is not needed as a freshman or even as a sophomore as FSU buses run longer than the city bus.

Krista

I love Florida State University. It's been known to be a crazy party school but that's not the only side. If you go to class and work hard, the academics​ available are wonderful, the professors care about teaching. There are also many opportunities for extracurricular activities.

Savannah

I love Florida State University! The campus is beautiful; and though it's a big university it doesn't feel that way. You can walk across the grounds in 20 minutes. It's a fun school with lots going on but the classes are also good quality. The classes are generally a decent size so you get the support you need from professors!

Courtney

I love it. The city seems to revolve around the school and everyone is super friendly. Everyone is always actively participating in class. The campus is beautiful and really makes you feel like you're in a movie. I love walking around campus and enjoying all the trees and different scenery.

Leesa

Florida State University is an amazing institution, with a delightful faculty and a wonderful student body. It is not hard to find extracurricular activities that you would be interested in, all you have to do is ask around. FSU like most colleges is what you make of it, it is important that you put yourself out there. If you try to join different organizations at FSU you will find that everyone is welcoming, from the president of the organization to the sponsor.

shannon

Wonderful school, but it's size makes some things more or less challenging. The school has an energy that is comforting and there are plenty of amazing people to interact with here. The majority of professors are outstanding, although every school has a handful of lousy teachers. Overall, Florida State is an extremely special and personal place to me where you really have the opportunities to seek out a new sense of self.

Coral

I have always longed to have the opportunity to attend THE prestigious FSU. The day I got accepted was the best day of my life, and my overall opinion of FSU has only grown with admiration, pride, and an overall sense of belonging to something bigger than myself

Anna

Overall, I am thrilled with my decision to attend Florida State University. There is a great focus on academics and a variety of on campus facilities to help students achieve their goals. That said, there are plenty of opportunities to socialize and meet new people. I live on campus currently and I have enjoyed being close to everything happening on campus. This is a great school to attend for so many reasons.

Javier

Florida State is a great place to study and get your degree. I feel the culture here is very diverse. There are also plenty opportunities to get involved from Greek to different clubs and organizations. By getting involved you feel a sense of belonging and the opportunity to meet different students from all walks of life. As in most public universities the one down size is that freshman classes tend to be very large but as you become a sophomore classes become a bit smaller. All in all this is a great place to plan your future!

Audrey

I genuinely love FSU. I'm in my second year and couldn't be happier. I love the atmosphere, people and campus. I feel as if I have numerous opportunities. The faculty and staff are always willing to help. There is a real sense of community and I wouldn't want to attend any other school.

Kennedy

Overall, Florida State University is an exceptional school with tons of clubs and programs for students to join. Everyone is so accepting and the facilities are amazing. If you do not have any friends yet, do not worry because you will quickly find your niche. The campus is arguably one of the most beautiful college campuses in the United States of America. I could not picture myself at a different university. I have found my home.

Micah

FSU is very dedicated to the education that is put out for their student to absorb. If people want to learn and make it big in life, this is one of the schools to go to especially in Florida because it is competitive. In addition to education, FSU offers a wide variety of clubs and organizations to get students involved during their spare time. At this school I have friends who were able to join groups from religious ones to the rowing team and everything else in between such as a belly dancing club, I myself was able to try something completely new and join the circus at FSU. I could not have made a better decision in my school selection because even though it's four hours away from home, this is where I am supposed to be.

Angel

Making the decision to go to Florida State is still one of my best decisions to date. The sense of community here is amazing. Coming from out of state, I have never felt so quickly welcomed in a community. I truly feel like there is always an opportunity to get involved in something you like, and you are always promoted to be yourself regardless of your likes and dislikes. The Seminole Passion and tradition here is something you will never find anywhere else regardless of their team or mascot. I want to graduate a Seminole more than anything I have wanted before. I may not be a Floridian, but I bleed Garnet and Gold.

Adriana

Florida State University is a very traditional college campus. Football is huge and we take our sports very seriously. There is a very active social life happening both on campus and off campus and I believe that FSU has a place for everyone. What I love most about FSU is that there are hundreds upon hundreds of clubs that are available to students and they are welcoming of people from all majors. There is a very rich and active school spirit that is eminent from all of its students.

Bich

Overall, I think its a pretty good school. The chemistry department needs to be redone. I think I've learned more chemistry in high school then at Florida State University. The food is decent, not so good and not so bad. The people are really nice and supportive​.

Everton

Coming to Florida State is one of the best decisions that I have ever made in my life. I have been introduced to some of the most amazing people and have learned so many things during my time here. Resources are always available to students and they are easily accessible. I am proud to be a Nole and I would not have it any other way.

Ichelle

This university takes pride in providing resources to help students throughout their obstacles. The environment is friendly so far being that i only spent one semester here (summer). Seems to be a well rounded school with lots to do including getting involved with clubs or organizations that fit you're individual character.

Alexis

Florida State University is such a lively place. The students here are so diverse, and that is what makes it feel like home to me. High school is nothing like the movies, but Florida State is exactly how you would imagine it. The social life is out of this world, the academics are rigorous, and the campus strangely resembles Hogwarts. Greek life is also a major part of the school, but you don't have to be in one to make the most out of your years here. Overall, deciding to attend this college is one of the best decisions I have made so far. Forever yelling, "GO NOLES!!"

So far my time at Florida State University has been filled with academic and personal growth. I am so glad I made the decision to attend this University, and while there have already been many ups and downs, I am very thankful to be a Seminole. The student community is very supportive of one another no matter what, and while some faculty are tougher than others I have found that most of the professors genuinely care about their students.

Sydney

It is a welcoming environment and a great place to grow. Florida State offers a wide range of majors and different opportunities for each student. Here kids are given the opportunity to excel and succeed in everything they do. Florida State provides both an academic and spirit filled environment.

Olivia

Love it!!

stacey

I really don't know much about Florida State University, But am looking at my future collages that i would love to attend and it kinda interest me .

Nathanael

I really like the school. I'm able to find people that i connect with and have made many friends. I also like how academically focused the school is.

Victoria

It is an amazing school with many opportunities

I am so proud to be a Nole! My last three years at Florida State have been some of the best years of my life. The opportunities to join events, groups, and meet new people are endless. It's hard to find a dull moment in Tallahassee. Also, our campus is absolutely gorgeous!

Keagan

I love everything about florida state. The campus, professors, activities, and other students have proved to be the best out of any college I have been too. Greek life and sports are a big part of the school which most students are involved with.

Melissa

I love going to Florida State University more than I ever thought was possible. The professors are always available and willing to give a helping hand. My advisors are always available to help me with anything academic and more, and there is always something to do on campus. From the ALSC Movie Theatre to just hanging out on Landis Green, anyone can find their place here.

Talise

Florida State University is known for its party school atmosphere, and has been in the news lately for drug and alcohol scandals, the death of a student, and the temporary suspension of Greek Life. While this piece of the University does exist, it can largely be avoided by making educated decisions on drinking, drugs, driving, and peer pressure. For me, Florida State is much more than a party school. I am a Creative writing major deeply focused on academics and figuring out a way to live happily post graduation as a writer. Through the courses, clubs, and extracurriculars I've been involved in I not only feel confident in my ability to be a success creative entrepreneur, writer, and freelancer post graduation, I also am creating a course at the FSU to help other creative subject majors to learn the skills and gain the confidence to do the same. I have received constructive advice on my creative work, journalistic work, and on general life hardships. When surrounded by the right people who encourage your growth and learning and engaged with courses, activities, or clubs that further experiential learning in fields you are interested in anyone can excel at Florida State. Any student with a desire to learn and grow personally, professionally, academically, and emotionally is welcomed and encouraged (by me) to attend. On a lighter note, the food quality has recently improved tremendously. Tuition and housing can be quite high without any Bright Futures or Florida Prepaid Plan. If you are looking to go here without either of these in place I would suggest looking into the CARE Program, Presidential Scholars Program, or the Service Scholars Program. Each provide heavy financial assistance upon acceptance into the program. If all else fails, the school has scholarships buried in the Forms section of the financial aid website. Apply to those as often as possible.

Shannon

To sum up FSU, I'd call us a family. As a commercial music student here at Florida State, I have gotten the opportunity to perform at various events around campus. I participate in ensembles in the College of Music which have extremely talented and well known directors.

Shalise

Florida State University is a great place to get an amazing education, while being around amazing people at the same time. Not only are the resources and faculty great, but so is the food and the opportunities for entertainment at all times of the day. Florida State is where you want to go if you want to make great memories, make awesome new friends, and better your education.