Fordham University Top Questions

What is the stereotype of students at your school?

Alyson

There isn't too much diversity between the types of people that go to Fordham.

Alexis

The Rose Hill campus, which I attend, is nicknamed "Bro's Hill"

Liz

At Lincoln Center the stereotypes are that the boys are either gay, or if not then extremely metro and kind of weird. The Girls are pretty standard for a school in NYC. Although there is one negative stereotype that holds pretty true to us FCLC girls, the second a straight guy is noted...we pounce.

Missy

The stereotypes that you hear about Fordham students is that all the guys are gay, there are way too many females, everyone is really catty and rude, and since the school is so small, there is too much gossip and everyone knows each others' business. Plus, it's over run with theater majors, so you'll never have a moment's peace.

Alex

The "uptown" kids (at the Rose Hill campus in the Bronx) are more conservative, less serious about academics, and more "traditional" (more jocks, beer pong, etc.). The downtown kids (at the Lincoln Center campus in Manhattan) are more left politically, a lot are gay, and mostly everyone is in one of the arts programs, and commuters are "poorer" than the resident students.

Charlie

there are two schools one for residents (white) & commuters (black). Fordham is rumored to have the highest percentage of gay males for undergraduate institution

That we are a suitcase school and that we are a party school.

Pat

Well I think alot of people might look at Fordham as a dangerous place brecause of its location in the Bronx. And to be honest if you are not smart about what you are doing, where you are, and who you are with it could come back to bite you because there is crime in the surrounding area. However, I must say there is certainly a great feeling of community with Fordham and the surrounding area, especially little Italy on Arthur Avenue. As for stereotypes about the kids, I guess they would just be that the school is full of rich, white kids from the Northeast. This is partial true in some respects, but there are a great number of students from all over the U.S. and foreign countries as well. The draw of New York City seems to bring alot of different people to Fordham (including the West Coast) and I think that is one of the most interesting parts of the school-- there is a wide variety of people and lifestyles to learn from.

Tate

Some stereotypes about Fordham students are that they are all rich white Catholic school kids.

katie

all from nj

Catherine

People assume we are all spoiled white kids living in a sheltered community in the Bronx. A lot of people think the school is very conservative and religious.

Dana

The lincoln center guys are all gay

Alana

no comment

That they are all catholic, wealthy, and not as smart as NYU students.

Carlo

That we are the kinds of kids who didn't get into ivy league schools, so we came here. Also, that the school is a suitcase school and everyone goes home on the weekends.

Alex

Some people stereotype Fordham students as rich snobs, some say they are very nice/hardworking and very involved in community service projects, some say we work hard, but party hard. Also, I have heard a lot of people in manhattan say that they love hiring fordham students because we tend to be really hardworking/down-to-earth, and aren't afraid of starting at the bottom doing the nitty gritty work and working ourselves up in a business, as opposed to nyu and columbia students, who they say are often stuck up and expect an easy route to the top...

Nico

\

Charles

rich smart kids

Vick

Well, the most obvious stereotype is that we're all artsy and all of the guys are gay at Lincoln Center. That's what they will tell you at the Rose Hill campus.

Andrew

Everyone here is more excited to study than they are to go out and have a good time. Everyone here is snobby and rich.

Joseph

1: That Fordham is a college for upper class, white students from wealthy neighborhoods who just party all the time.

Jake

Fordham doesn't seem to have to many stereotypes, except for the fact that it's pretty white/upper class. Also, it gets a stereotype for being a bar school

Nick

Fordham Lincoln Center stereotype- 80{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of the guys are gay.

Mia

That Fordham is a an Irish Catholic school full of "bros".

Tom

Loud and Drunk- but also fun.

Brian

Hipster commuters, business commuters

McLovin

Drinkers, sometimes gay, we have a lot of gay kids that go to this school, not that there is anything wrong with that at all

Alex

That we're all rich, white, and stuck-up.

Reena

That only rich people can go here who have a certain standard of education.

Kristen

Whenever my friends come to visit Fordham, they always tell me that Fordham is a pretty "preppy" school compared to others in New York City.

Amen

that it is a big party school.

Chris

That everyone is Catholic and/or has to be or has to go to church because it is a Jesuit university.

Kat

A general sterotype about Fordham is students with rich parents that chose the school based on its night life.

McLovin

Good students, from the tri-state area (new york, new jersey, connecticut), wealthy

Paige

That the students here are extremele wealthy and only look out for themselves. They are very stuck up and ego-centric but also very dedicated to their work. They are very bright and motivated, the future leaders of America.

Brett

Guidos, catholics, goes to the bars every night, wealthy

Claire

As a student at Fordham University, I know that the stereotypes about my school and me are relative to whom I am talking to. Outside of the gated university is a whirlwind of chaos in the "dirty BX", the nickname for the thugged out, rough borough where Fordham can be found in New York City. Commotion, buses, trains, cars, yelling, preaching on street corners, drug deals, pick-pocketing. You name it, it is on Fordham Road, the main street that boarders the Gothic styled Catholic University. I always wonder what those people who live in the Bronx around Fordham think of us. Well actually, I know from first hand experience what they think of us. We stick out like a sore thumb, walking around in our North Faces and UGG boots next to the Rocawear-ed styled locals. Bronx locals stereotype me as a rich white girl who can afford the insane tuition at Fordham. I stereotyped as privileged, racist, and naive. When you set foot onto the campus grounds, the feel of the school and the stereotypes associated with it change drastically. The campus is an oasis of gorgeous large trees and lawns accompanied by old historical stone buildings. The distant sounds of the outside environment evaporate against the stoic Gothic walls of the University Church and the clock tower of the majestic Keating Hall. Walking around the campus during a school day, Fordham students seem different than other college kids around the country. We match the buildings in which we study: stoic, quiet, well-groomed and maintained, walking swiftly from class to class, barely nodding at our fellow students, I-pod headphones stuffed securely into our ears. To an outsider, we appear to be studious, hard-working, and motivated, much more than other colleges across the countries. New York City calls for this sense of an urgency to succeed, and the stereotype of Fordham kids is just that. Everyone wants to succeed, to reach their goals and get where they want to be. But, we can’t be that good right? I mean, we are talking about New York City here. Haven’t you ever seen “Gossip Girl”? Ok. Here is the scoop about the dark side of Fordham. In the Big Apple there are a variety of colleges, liberal arts colleges to law schools to art schools to film schools. Fordham is the party school. Albeit, our party-college status is compared with those crazy fun kids at Columbia and NYU (that’s a joke if you didn’t catch it). There is one damaging stigma that affects everyone at Fordham. Apparently, we all do coke, we all smoke weed, we all drink excessively, and we all do this constantly. With being the best party school, we must have the hardest partiers. With the harsh rules of ResLife and the crazed RA’s and guards that write us up, it’s amazing that we could even get the stuff into our dorms. But, I find that when I tell people I go to Fordham they either think of me as a either a saint or a sinner. The stereotype is that I either pray and say the rosary hourly, or I do lines of coke off my textbooks in math class.

sara

Fordham is considered to be a haven for rich, white students. It has an excellent reputation in the business world.

Maureen

I think the stereotypes have died down in recent years... Sometimes we get the reputation of being "rich White kids" and exclusively NJ, NJ, CT. Some of the dorms have stereotypes, but most are not grounded in reality.

Paige

That Fordham students are very drunk, apathetic toward political and social movements, and that the don't care about their school work.

Tristan

wealthy, nerdy, guido, smart

Bevan

There are different stereotypes for the two main Fordham campuses. The Lincoln Center campus in Manhattan has fewer undergraduates and is perceived to be the artistic campus, which has some truth to it. The Rose Hill campus is the Bronx is the main campus and houses the most undergraduates. It's stereotype is that it is complete with New Yorkers (particular students from Long Island) and is dangerous because of its location. The perception is that the two campuses do not mesh well when its students are together.

Alisa

I'm not sure there are any stereotypes about Fordham or Fordham students. Supposedly there is some kind of rivalry between the theater students and the non-theater students but that has sort of fizzled over the last two years.

Casey

Common stereotypes about Fordham students are that they are all politically conservative, business-minded, and money-driven.

Cody

The only thing that comes immediately to mind in an intra-school stereotype: Rose Hill is a more traditional campus with a more conservative student body while Lincoln Center, because it houses the theater and visual arts departments, is more liberal and, uh, more gay. Apart from that, Fordham doesn't seem to have a large enough reputation to lead to outside stereotyping. When I tell people I go to Fordham, the response is usually "That's in the Bronx, right?" and that's the end of it.